Mission to lose 5st (10/70 lbs and counting)

Brilliant well done!!!! Xx

Thank you! :)

Now off to supermarket to buy ingredients for lunch - making Hairy Bikers fish pie. Hope it is good as we have invited round the ILs as it is FIL birthday! I am making puff pastry pie tops as well as DS has already declared he doesn't want the leek mash... DS and I made a rather decedent chocolate birthday cake for him yesterday - heaven knows how many kcals are in that! I'll try the smallest of amounts.

Just realised that I am down 6.2 lbs in two weeks (and that isn't two weeks of sticking to target weight loss calories - it is just 1.5 weeks of that really) and very pleased with that!

I've also decided to record daily kcals on my spreadsheet :) It really doesn't matter than some day are inaccurate - as long as there are some accurate days.

When doing ww - I used to pretty much bank on losing 7 lbs in the first two weeks followed by an average of 2 lbs/week for the next 8 weeks followed by a 2 week plateau before losing a bit slower....but that may be because after 10 weeks the cheating started a bit!

It will be interesting to see what the next few weeks bring and how that compares!

Now, I really must write that shopping list and get cooking/cleaning!

Last edited:
Nearly half a stone gone already, zeke - that's fabulous! Well done!:D

I don't blame you for not wanting to read the link I posted, btw - probably best to leave that stuff until you're much further down the line. I'm always trying to cross my bridges before I get to them, lol.

I went ahead and ordered a couple of the hairy dieters' books the other day and they arrived this morning, so I shall be having some fun later on going through them. We can compare notes when I get going with them!:D I'm fond of the food that I currently make, but it is high time I gave my menus a bit of a shake-up - so easy to get in a rut with these things, isn't it?

When doing ww - I used to pretty much bank on losing 7 lbs in the first two weeks followed by an average of 2 lbs/week for the next 8 weeks followed by a 2 week plateau before losing a bit slower....but that may be because after 10 weeks the cheating started a bit!

Maybe, but probably more likely just a result of your smaller body needing less fuel (not only does your basal metabolic rate reduce in line with your mass, but it takes less fuel to move around, so you burn less during activity as well) and your body putting the brakes on a bit because it doesn't actually want to lose the fat stores, never mind what you want, lol.

But that's where being meticulous about recording everything you consume will pay dividends: last go round, I had plenty of weeks of being absolutely on plan, knowing 100% that I was eating at an appropriate deficit, yet still staying the same, or even experiencing a slight gain! Had I not been on a regime that gave me the reassurance of knowing exactly what I'd eaten, I would undoubtedly have gotten frustrated and thrown in the towel, but because I knew I hadn't cheated, I persevered and was rewarded by sudden drops of 3lbs in a week every so often - that's just how it goes for me when I get to the later stages of a diet.

So if you keep up with the precise (or close as you can get it) calorie-counting, you'll know whether you cheated or not, and if you haven't, then it will simply be a natural slowing down process.

Phew... think that's enough waffling in your diary :p

Hope you have a lovely time with your in-laws today - and that cake sounds lush!:D

Thanks Scrumbles! The cake does look good (well considering a 10 yr old had a large hand in making it!). The HB Fish pies also look good!

I have read the article now. TBH, after 20+ years of dieting there isn't much I don't know about it, as I do read things like that - just putting the theory into practise really! On WW you have less points as you become lighter. Yes, I did find that the weight started coming off again after a bit of a lull but...in the 20+ years of dieting I rarely went much past 10 weeks (to start with because I didn't need to!).

Had HB Creamy prawn korma this evening - perfectly nice but lacked enough spice for me (despite sneaking in some medium curry powder)! I did alter the recipe because I swapped the double cream for coconut milk (which I have frozen in ice cube blocks so convenient to use). I have two more portions of sauce that I will freeze (to add a cube of coconut milk and prawns when warm and cook for 3-4 mins). I doubt whether I will make this one again though - there is a SW recipe I have for a prawn curry which is much quicker to make and tastier (just need to work out the kcals!). The recipe only needed 2 tbsp. of cream which seemed so wasteful as I would have no use for the rest (and cream doesn't freeze well, unless whipped and even then...).

I will REALLY have to pull my finger out tomorrow and get some stuff done! Back to work on Monday and the evening will be filled with flat pack furniture making...

I've got that horrible - 'last day of the holidays and still have loads of jobs to do' feeling! I will probably be fine once I start them...

I think I will spend the day alternating between home jobs and work jobs. One of the home jobs is to face the supermarket again [packed lunches] - it is nice to know that I don't have to make something as I have a fairly good freezer stock of HB meals now, However, if time allows, I would like to make another HB recipe today. I think work jobs will take a good four hours though and I have ironing and furniture moving to do on top of that...

I have to play the most ridiculous games with myself to get over the procrastination bump sometimes! At least I've worked that out :eek:

One of them is - I'm not allowed to come back on here until I have completed at least 2 hours of jobs (not including daily/frequent jobs - the specific jobs on the list!). :wave_cry:

Last edited:
I now think I have done two hours of 'non daily jobs' :D. Done some marking (not a lot but at least it is out on my desk and started!), finished moving all the furniture and books around in DS's room ready for the ikea delivery tomorrow. Still to do: A lot more marking; some resource making; touch up some paintwork and vacuum in DS's room; Ironing (if I want a break from marking); Clean, photograph and list two items of furniture on eBay. I do feel a lot better now I have started.

Felt quite hungry at lunchtime and had some fruit and a yogurt that I normally wouldn't have at that time as well. Maybe it was all that furniture moving and going up and down the stairs so many times!

Anyway, onwards to the next two hours (which must include completing the first marking job).

Been a very busy bee today :D

Think I can definitely call it 'lightly active' rather than sedentary!

I've been to the tip & supermarket, cooked the HD Italian meatballs, finished off DS's room including polyfilla and spot painting, finished one marking job and started another, cleaned and listed the furniture for sale, and done all the normal stuff like sorting the dogs/DS out, emptying dishwasher, cooking, laundry (no ironing though) and general tidying.

Pity I still have another 2+ hours of marking/prep to do but it isn't a daunting task anymore - confident of completing! I won't be doing any ironing though!

Just tried some Tyrells poshcorn - sweet & salty - only 62 kcals. Very nice! Really like the sweet/salty combo, not much in the packet but it hits the spot you just fancy something crunchy/sweet/salty but aren't really hungry.

Right - back to it!

That's me done - came in at 1371 Kcals. I've decided to change my MFP from sedentary to lightly active, as it is probably more accurate. I consider myself sedentary compared to when I was fit but really I do move about a fair amount and I don't spend all of the working day sat on my arse!

Very pleased with everything I've got done today! Hope I can be equally productive tomorrow. All helps with the weightloss :)

We are meeting up with DH's boss (who is also a friend) during the Easter hols - it occurred to me today that if I lose at a good rate between now and then...I will be back down to what I was when I last saw him in July/August. *SIGH* I guess it is better than being fatter...

Got loads done but not finished - still have wardrobe doors to put on, all internal wardrobe fittings and Alex drawers to make. I am knackered! Oh, and hacked off - for some reason I let DH sway with about the colour of the furniture and I think it was a mistake - I guess it doesn't help that the room is messy at the moment. Sooooooooo much stuff in one room - hate it! Why I decided to get him a Poang chair (and footstall!) is beyond me - they are both massive!

Only had just over 1000 kcals today so I need to eat some more. Not really hungry though.

Had a toasted nimble wholemeal banana sandwich and a glass of milk for supper last night - haven't had one of those for ages! I weighed the banana - 113g - which according MFP is 1 Kcal/g (just did another check and it is 0.89 - which sounds more likely). I've gone back and picked a different banana entry now - some of the entries on MFP are clearly wrong so you have to be careful (people entering packet information for 100g and they saying it is whatever the serving size is rather than 100g etc). Good job I was trying to bulk up my calories. I think is worth weighing something like a banana which is quite calorie dense.

I was expecting a little fluctuate up this morning on the scales, but I was 0.2 lbs down. I expect I won't see much movement down for quite a few days now though. Never know though!

I'll be stuck in Ikea hell for several hours this afternoon/evening as well by the looks of things. Pity I don't really like the look of the way it is turning out! On a positive note I think all of this is good for weightloss.

Hi Blubex :) WOW - you are doing so well! Think I need to follow you!

Just having dinner now and I haven't hit 1000 kcals yet - so things are boding well for another day significantly lower than 1500 kcals (I will make sure I am over 1200 kcals though). Combination of work stress and more ikea flatpack hell.

Anyway...back to the grindstone!

Hi Blubex :) WOW - you are doing so well! Think I need to follow you!

Just having dinner now and I haven't hit 1000 kcals yet - so things are boding well for another day significantly lower than 1500 kcals (I will make sure I am over 1200 kcals though). Combination of work stress and more ikea flatpack hell.

Anyway...back to the grindstone!

I'm getting there! It has just clicked this time and after failing a million diets in the past I have finally stuck to one

I love flat pack. ..is there something wrong with me? !?!

Well done on a good day x

I'm getting there! It has just clicked this time and after failing a million diets in the past I have finally stuck to one 

I love flat pack. ..is there something wrong with me? !?!

Well done on a good day x

I think I used to love it...a few years ago! I've done too much of it now.

I would say I quite like it these days...if I only have 1-3 items to do. It is the volume and the fact that I'm not convinced that we made the right decision with some/maybe even all of it (bought straight offline as nearest ikea is 1+ hours away and we really couldn't be bothered to go...). It is almost finished! Hopefully I won't be so disappointed when it is all done and the room is tidy again. There is definitely too much furniture in there now (and stuff!).

I came in at 1212 kcals yesterday and I'm another 0.4 lbs down on the scales this morning. I didn't aim to be that low - just happened. I do however think I can reasonably aim to be more like 1400 kcals now rather than 1500 kcals most days. Although, as I've said before, my #1 priority is simply to eat less than maintenance. I am down 2.4 lbs so far this week - I don't think I will lose anything much for a few days now though.

I really hope I can follow in your footsteps Blubex - I've been on a ton of diets too but none have made me feel this in control and confident about future maintenance.

Last edited:
Back