newbie facing many challenges

Thanks Waffle!

I have a feeling next weeks weigh in will be a bit more. I'll certainly work for it. You will be in the 15's before you know it too. I'm realising that while slow weight loss is frustrating it's all a step in the right direction. I am hoping doing as much exercise as I can cos I'm pretty sure my metabolism needs the boost. Last time I lost a significant amount of weight I was a proper gym bunny. It's horrible at first, really uncomfortable and unnatural feeling, like walking through ankle deep mud, but when you get in the swing it's quite addictive isn't it! I'm hoping another week and i'll start feeling good about it.

I've never done yoga so I got the yoga for dummies dvd lol. I'm fairly flexible and my balance isn't bad but I really want to strengthen up and try to chill out a bit. It's been recommended for my anxiety problem. Have you found it helps your anxiety at all?

I might not be able to get to the gym but I remember the workouts I did and I have some women's weight, a flight of stairs, a cross trainer, a stomach cruncher, a wii and a yoga dvd, so there's no excuse for not putting an hour a day in once I am fit enough to last that long.

I think for now I might concentrate on the cross trainer. I really want to be able to do 20 mins. I think I will introduce the other stuff once I'm finding that a bit easier. I've always hated it but loved the results. I find it really hard going even when I am fitter. that's why I got one, it's flipping hard work but you get results lol. the first time I used one I discovered I had asthma, 3 mins in and I was seeing stars and couldn't breathe. That's how hard I find it lol. So I'm pleased with 12 mins today. Hubby finds it too easy.

It's a fresh week now and I am feeling really motivated. I've been for my shower and I'm feeling good. I forget how smug I feel after exercising lol.

I can't do sit ups without the cruncher to help me and my leg lifts are literally laid on my back and lift one leg at a time. Super easy. I've learned I need to go slow. yay you on the zumba - now that would DESTROY me! I have no coordination, cant dance and my limit for cardio is really small. 15 mins max so you're doing great!

I've got osteo arthritis in both knees too so that means I have to adapt a lot of exercises to accommodate that problem but I think as long as we are moving, mixing in some strength with the cardio...we'll get there.

caz X

Another workout under my belt:) 15 mins today and 27 calories burned. an extra 5 tummy crunches too. Still 100% stuck to diet. I'm getting there. Purple in the face, drenched in sweat and shaking. If there is any justice in the world the scales will start moving lol.

Caz x

Hahahaha!! I know how you feel, that's exactly how I get too - and that's only through walking ;)

Well done lovely :) I'm SO glad that you're enjoying it xxx

Another workout under my belt:) 15 mins today and 27 calories burned. an extra 5 tummy crunches too. Still 100% stuck to diet. I'm getting there. Purple in the face, drenched in sweat and shaking. If there is any justice in the world the scales will start moving lol. Caz x

Yehy well done caz, by the way so you input your weight and stuff on your elliptical thing? Coz I just did 20 mins on the one at the gym and the myfitnesspal app says I burned 339 calories, I'm sure you are burning a lot more than 27 calories in 15 mins hun xx

That's great waffle! It's a good machine but no the cals just go off how fast you've gone and what level resistance. I thought that didn't seem much lol. Really appreciate it.

Thanks princess, it's not easy is it lol

caz x

Oh dear, my technophobe is showing:eek: just spoke to hubby and his response was....'what, you mean you haven't programmed in your details!?'...'er, no. I just pressed start' Oh the shame lol. He's going to show me how to use it 'properly' tonight.

What am I like!

Caz x

Oh dear, my technophobe is showing:eek: just spoke to hubby and his response was....'what, you mean you haven't programmed in your details!?'...'er, no. I just pressed start' Oh the shame lol. He's going to show me how to use it 'properly' tonight. What am I like! Caz x

Bless ya, that's why men are here though :) haha xx

what a shame, hubby couldn't get it to record accurately either. It's showing approx. 2 calories for every 1 minutes work, hmmmm don't think that's accurate lol.

I'll just have to add another zero to the end of whatever it says, 10 cals burned will magically become 100 in my head lol.

Caz x

Ooof! 20 minutes on level 2! Almost doubled what I did two days ago :D Don't think I will be increasing for a while though, 20 mins was a bit beyond my limit if I am honest. I could hardly get in the shower my legs were shaking so much. Hubby says no pain no gain, I say stuff that! It's no good if I can't stand without shaking for hours after lol. it's one thing pushing yourself, it's another turning yourself into jelly only 3 days in lol.

Caz x

Hahahaha bless you! He has a slight point in that it's pushing yourself through the barrier that improves your fitness - but not to the point where you can't stand ;)

Well done hun! :) Maybe 10 mins on level 2? Or the 20 on level 1? :D

lol :) nah i'll keep plugging away at 20 on level 2 BUT I won't be increasing for at least a few more days! Not until I can actually do it without having jelly legs for hours after he he. I'm stubborn but not a sadist:D I think I'm probably feeling the aftermath of the last 2 days too. Still doing the same tummy work but it's getting harder every day cos I'm a wee bit sore. Gotta be done!

Can't believe I used to do up to 2 hours at the gym 4 times a week...

I have a looooong way to go.

I'll get there though ;)

caz x

Thank you. I won't, I promise :innocent0002: I'll be careful! I've got to walk before I can run, literally. Quick recovery though, just been out for the walk I didn't get last weekend. So, I can't have overdone it too much. I think it just felt like it straight after. My body isn't used to working out at all and especially not at the weight I am currently.

I remember when I first got into the gym all those years ago, those instructors don't half push you hard, anyhoo there were a 2 flights of stairs up to said gym....hard enough going up them pre workout, trying to walk down them post workout.... - tiiiiimberrrrrr!

I will be having a serious fall out with my scales if they don't reflect all this hard work next week!

Caz x

lol :) nah i'll keep plugging away at 20 on level 2 BUT I won't be increasing for at least a few more days! Not until I can actually do it without having jelly legs for hours after he he. I'm stubborn but not a sadist:D I think I'm probably feeling the aftermath of the last 2 days too. Still doing the same tummy work but it's getting harder every day cos I'm a wee bit sore. Gotta be done! Can't believe I used to do up to 2 hours at the gym 4 times a week... I have a looooong way to go. I'll get there though ;) caz x

Have you tried doing what I do? I do 10 mins on elliptical, then something else - you could do your tummy work- then another 10 mins on elliptical, your still doing 20 mins but your legs get time to have a little break in between!
And make sure you only do 3 days in a row and then a rest day, you need to give your muscles time to recover xx

Ps. You seem so much brighter in yourself than when you started this diary, have you read it back? You are doing amazingly hun and seem much happier well done xx

Aw thank you! Yep, I think the exercise is having a positive effect on me. I think I will have a day of rest tomorrow. Good idea about splitting it! I'll give it a try, thanks :)

I think it's getting easier in a lot of ways. I'm not craving the binges or the smoking anymore. My sleep is a lot better too.

It's all heading in the right direction and I think I'm starting to feel the benefits'

Caz x

Aw thank you! Yep, I think the exercise is having a positive effect on me. I think I will have a day of rest tomorrow. Good idea about splitting it! I'll give it a try, thanks :)

I think it's getting easier in a lot of ways. I'm not craving the binges or the smoking anymore. My sleep is a lot better too.

It's all heading in the right direction and I think I'm starting to feel the benefits'

Caz x

That's fantastic! Waffle's right, you are sounding so much more positive, which is wonderful - keep going! :) xx

Thank you! How could I be otherwise with you all in my corner!

It means the world to me.

Caz x

Thank you! How could I be otherwise with you all in my corner! It means the world to me. Caz x

Aww glad we help :) xx

And as if by magic it all gets frustrating again. There have been lots of things I have been struggling with but my mentality has been stay positive, keep going, things will settle, you 'must' be losing weight, it's hormonal etc etc. I have been feeling better on the whole but I am so annoyed right now.

I hopped on the scales this morning and I have gained weight. I am now back to the weight I was at the end of week 1.
I'm so constipated I'm only going once a week.
I'm so hormonal my breasts are really really painful, it's never normally this bad.

It's not right to not be losing this early on. That usually start after weeks of dieting. I shouldn't stop losing weight after 1 week!
I''ve researched my meds and I am on TWO of the biggest weight gainers, quetiapine (Seroquel) and Mirtazapine.
Apparently these meds make it INCREDIBLY hard to lose weight, impossible for some people.

One thing that MAY help would be for me to go back on metformin for my PCOS as the PCOS and pills cause insulin resistance and screw up your metabolism. Metformin 'can' help with this. It was down to metformin sorting out my hormones that I managed to have my son after 5 years of failed fertility treatment.

I want to go and see my doc and beg for help. It's soul destroying to be being sooooo good with my diet and exercise, all for nothing.

Hubby wants me to wait a until the 4th November when I go for my weigh in and talk to the nurse. He's still of the mind that I will start losing again if I just hang in there. He says if I'm taking in less than I'm expending the weight HAS to come off.

My big fear is that the nurse won't believe I'm trying hard enough and just see me as a fat woman who is too lazy to do the work and is relying on the pills to do it for me. Which is really upsetting when I know people who haven't made any real effort and still lost huge amounts of weight.

I feel like I am busting a gut for no reward and feel like having the mother of all tantrums. It's never been this hard for me to lose weight before.

So for now all I can think of to do is drink more water and start using benefiber.

I'm actually in tears, this is horrible. I feel like I have wasted this month for nothing. Why am I working so hard just to lose weight and gain it back again despite not cheating even once.

Caz x

Back