Orlistat Journey

ha i know what you mean about the loo pipes euk,i have done oralist in the past so believe me i know. at least your pelvic floor muscles will be getting some extra workouts lol

It'll take me from that 'extremely obese' to the 'obese' area on the BMI chart, funny how one word seems to kick you into an area that has people jumping up and down isn't it! Well if I COULD jump up and down that is! ;)

Bunny x

You'll do it bunny, youre doing so well. I have another 0.96 to get from clinically obese to just being obese. Wee goals are better, jeez if my only goal was to lose 100 pounds id go mad, my goal at the mo is to get into the 16's.

Small goals are the way to go. I want to get into the 13's then I want to get my 4stone goal. That's all I'm looking at for now

Well one week in, nil on side effects, a few people have asked if I'm losing weight, I've said no. I don't know why I said no, I just did.

No that's not true, I do know why I said no, I said no because I'm 'only' in the early stages and I didn't want them to have an expectation of me losing weight.

Does that make sense?

I've only told a few friends and family members about the diet, fewer still about the Orlistat, I feel they may have preconceived ideas and that if I journey on and lose the weight that they'll be less inclined to have a negative effect on me now, and I can tell them then, and if they're still skeptical I'll be the living proof....

Anyway, I'm still being religious about my fat intake and calories, I did appear to 'gain' a pound today (Tuesday's my WI day) but I have horrible back pains today that suggest I'm due 'on', so will have to see.

I keep reading the leaflet and mentally ticking off the side effects as I search my mind and body for them. I have none. Other than really, REALLY, stinky farts in the morning, I'm fine. (You'll know me now if you're walking down a street in London and see a short round woman pushing a buggy who smells like death with a green vapor trail slipping from the hems of her jeans!)

I'm still confident, which helps, and my friends and family are being very supportive.

Oh well can't complain, life is good!

Bunny x

good luck xx i was on orlistat a few years back on lost 20 kg but i started to abuse it and save the tablets for chocs n stuff so put it all back on and more ...they do work if you keep strong

Hello again, I'm happy to say I'm not a Tena Lady yet! The whole experience has been really good so far, I'm feeling less tired, my skins looking better, I'm about to dye the roots, but that's another story! All in all, I'm well.

I'm still watching my fat intake and counting the calories, this Tuesday I'm back to see my GP, so truth time on her scales.

I had my appointment with the Trainer at the local gym, he took a lot of time to ask me questions about my health, my life style, my goals and my expectations, then he asked what I liked to do and what i disliked doing. Crunch time this week when I go back and get a run through of my 'Workout' plan. All I want right now is to be able to hold my hands above my head and not feel as if they're about to drop or that burning pain pulling them down.

Next weekend I'm off to my partners for a week, his birthdays at the end, so that BBQ is still looming..... But I'm confident and tried out a few recipes on him this weekend, all of which he ate with enthusiasm! He knows the score!

I'm still stunned by the total lack of information regarding the individuals experience of Orlistat on the internet. But I've convinced myself this is because they're all out there after losing the weight and gaining a life! :D

Take care.

Bunny x

Do you think the Orlistat has been working or will your weight loss have been down to your healthy eating?

I was asked that question yesterday!!!!!!

I think it's down to both really.

If I wasn't on the Orlistat I don't think I'd be being as strict with myself. I know the fat issue would never have crossed my mind, and I certainly wouldn't be looking at the list as closely! It's an amazing thing to see what we're being fed!!!!!!

It's a two edged sword, I'm eating more healthly for sure, but I wasn't eating unhealthly before. Just not the RIGHT healthy.

Bunny x

So, do you think the Orlistat would be just as effictive if it were a placebo instead of the real thing. Its the fear of the side effects thats making you eat healthy, rather than the tablets actually physically working??

I dont mean to sound cheeky lol Im geniunely interested having been on them myself

Never cheeky! We Glasgow wimmen are enquiring minds! ;) I only wish I'd someone to ask questions of!

Hmmmm. No I'm pretty sure that the weight loss is higher than I would have expected, not a huge deal higher but about the expected rate plus half. And yes, a placebo would have worked for me, I'm not the kind of person who goes against a prescribed drugs recommendation (too much time dealing with people who had!) so I‘d still be ultra aware of the fat content and wouldn‘t be pushing it at all. But it’s more than that, Orlistat will only work as part of a calorie controlled diet, you could eat 3,000 calories a day and not touch fat once, or stay well within the 30 grams.

My biggest concern was the fact the doctor feared for my long term health and felt this was the best course of action, so given that and the side effects it’s all acted together I think….

Bunny x

Hi there, Bunny. :)

I lost weight with Orlistat eleven years ago. I was 23 - a year after gaining loads of weight being pregnant with my daughter. My ex and I were getting married, and I basically had around six months to lose weight. If memory serves me right, I lost approx three and a half stone in about five/six months, on Orlistat.

I think the weight loss is down to a bit of both. The Orlistat definitely helps you to lose quicker, as it's expelling the fat in your diet. On the other hand, the nasty side effects certainly help you to keep on track, and monitor your fat intake! I remember having a few dodgy moments!

Who cares whether it's mostly sticking to your diet or the Orlistat that's causing your weight loss though, eh? So long as it's working!

Well done, you. :)

Jo x

Starlight, you asked the exact same things I was thinking!

Bunny, good to hear you are feeling much better now and that it's all going well. Be interesting to see what the date with the scales reveals! Good luck x

Thanks Jo, it sure feels good to be treading in a positive direction, i'm so glad I found this site, it makes it so much better when you have company on the way. :)

Starlight, you asked the exact same things I was thinking!

Bunny, good to hear you are feeling much better now and that it's all going well. Be interesting to see what the date with the scales reveals! Good luck x

I'm not so nervous about the scales at the moment, I'm going in exactly the same clothes to show the loss, as well as seeing the numbers.

The GP's great, very supportive and has such a good attitude to weight and the problems that causes it, she booked me in for an initial 30 minute appointment, (unheard of!) to discuss the weight gain and to be sure those things had been resolved and that the healing had taken place and that I could now start on a good exercise program.

I'm not sure what alternative she had planned if that hadn't been the case as the weight issue had a time period for resolution. :(

I'm finding the weekend hardest at the moment as I have a few friends who come round to visit and I feed them, most haven't noticed the switch in the menu and I eat exactly what they eat, just less! (Iranian food, you can't NOT have seconds and they do like their oil!!!!)

But honestly, it's not been hard at all. I think NOT having my partner here during the week helps. He's one of those hateful people who can just loss weight at the drop of a hat and runs marathons. SWINE!:mad:

Tuesday I'll post the weigh in results ASAP.

Bunny x

You are so lucky. Most GP's don't want to know and put any problem you present with down to being overweight! And yes, this place is great for support and advice. I'd be lost without it!

I'm expected to lose 5% of my starting weight in the first three months of using Orlistat and 10% in the first six months.

In real numbers terms that's 11.5lb and 23lb respectively.

So far I've lost a total of...............

14lb :party0011:

So to say the GP was happy is an understatement. I know that's only really a pound this week, but I'm on my mens, so I'm bloated and retaining enough water to float the QE II!

She's asked me to keep my food diary (I brought it with me today) and to note anything that I think is related to the drug. I'm starting to feel like a prize pupil!

I'm phased by how easy this has all been so far. When I'm out and about and need to eat I find the nearest Subway and have one of their low fat options, today it was roast beet and BBQ sauce on Honey Oat bread. Yummy. So this evening I'm having a veggie meal with a pitta bread. It really is that simple. I've switched to Fat Free Yoghurt instead of cream, I snack on fruit if I'm peckish and drink fizzy water by the litre!

My BP is slightly lower than last time and I feel better, mentally as well as physically.

My ONLY concern this week has been my period arrived, nothing unusual in itself, it's been doing that for years now ;) but usually my bowel motions tend to be softer at this point in my cycle and I was a little panicked that the increased softness might mean I'd get into trouble when out and about, but, again, nothing!

All is good, weather is fine and my biggest issue is how big is TO big and how old is TO old to wear a flower print skirt over those funky black footless tights!

Bunny x

Well I'm seeing a big difference now, and so are the other mothers at the school! :)

One funny point is now I'm losing weight I'm less concerned about covering up the weight I'm carrying, kind of like it's its last Summer and I'm letting it see the light!

Bunny x

I know what you mean. When I started to lose weight I was fine about people seeing the pics of me at my biggest as I knew I would never be back there again. It's accepting that things are going in the right direction. Since I've been a bit stuck around the same weight for a while I've been more conscious of my size and feel really fat again

Since I've been a bit stuck around the same weight for a while I've been more conscious of my size and feel really fat again

No chance! Go and put on one of your old tops, then see how you feel about the new you!

From the person I've read on here you're a strong, positive woman with a wealth of knowledge and compasion. It may not be who you see, but it's who we see. Not 'fat', never again 'fat', now it's only 'fabulous'!

Bunny x

Back