Partner in crime aka Newbie Slimming Buddy needed

Thanks, scotdeb...we are pretty busy with our non minimins lives, but like to keep in touch here when we can!!

I have had a very lazy day, didn't do my running...which I didn't do yesterday either, which I haven't actually done since thursday as I was away on the weekend. Looking forward to getting back into it tomorrow morning, feel sluggish without my exercise!!!

Tomorrow is a new day....Will go to sleep soon and feel well rested and motivated in the morning!

Good night all!!

Hi Scotdeb and TB,

Welcome to our team Scotdeb! You're more than welcome to join us. It looks like you're doing fantastically. Do you go to classes or do online or just follow the plan on your own?

TrixieB- It sounds like you had a fantastic time in London. I bet you did lots of walking in London, so burnt off any extras that you had. As our leader pointed out to someone this week 'it's easy to walk miles in London without even realising it'. I really need to start with the exercise aspect of slimming. I've been walking much more, so it's a start, but I think I definitely need to be more active. One of the girls at SW class suggested I go with her to 'Zumba', which is an exercise based on dance moves and sounds quite fun....I know everyone at SW class raves about it. The only things holding me back are finances and I've got a bad shoulder (having an injection to try and help it in late Dec). The ideal solution to my lack of exercise is an exercise bike that's sitting in my front room, facing the TV. It's just sitting there waiting to be used. I think I'll make my aim for the week to use it! Maybe I'll work towards my bronze activity award.

I have to say this week has been really rubbish. I really fell off the wagon again. I think the novelty has worn off. When Al came down we decided to have a treat, then the treats ended up lasting all week. Even after he left I couldn't seem to shake the craving for bad foods. The scales showed it too last night and I put on 1.5lb. I deserved it though, and probably more. I was for the best really, because I told Al before I went that if I'd been so off-track and still lost weight it wouldn't encourage me to eat healthily. I'm now back on track. Next week I want to have lost 2lb so that I can reach my club 10 award. Any words of wisdom that you can offer would be much appreciated?

Take care,
C

P.S. Did u try the smash pizza? I've been told I need to try it and have it instead of takeaway.

Hello everyone, I did not try the smash pizza. I can't find the instant mash! Might look for it when I am on holidays over christmas and try it there.

Down 2.5 this week. Brilliant really considering I was away on the weekend.

I have a really bad cold and have been busy as usual. I would love to stay in bed today reading a new book I picked up on Friday but I promised the girls we would go see the new Harry Potter movie....it is supposed to be 3hrs long!?!?

Have a great Sunday everyone! TB

Awww well done Trix, you're doing so well. My advice for the cinema is stick ur own snack in ur handbag....from my experience they don't sell grapes etc. lol. I hope u enjoy the film. Until the other day I'd never seen any of the Harry Potter films. I've now seen half of the first one (we had to go out half way through) and I quite enjoyed it.

Oh, today I bought smash and I'm going to do the smash pizza tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm quite excited.

Anyway, I'd better be off. Hope you enjoy the cinema.

Love C x

Hi claire,

Cinema was great, once we got there. The roads really bad here after the snow Saturday night. We did a bit of slipping and sliding! I brought my own snacks and drink for the cinema, usually the girls pick up stuff in a shop before we get to the cinema, but as the drive took so long, they bought cinema popcorn and drinks...not only were they expensive, the popcorn was horrible, really salty and not at all buttery.

We are having a snow day today. Our school is open but the school closest to us is closed due to bad roads. So I said I was not driving, too dangerous. Girls outside all morning playing. We walked up a steep hill to visit friends who are also off school. We also put together one of Delia Smith's christmas cake mixes from Waitrose. I bought two packs when we were in London last week, one for us and one for a friend. Very easy and so much better than buying loads of ingredients. My husband loves Christmas cake, his birthday is a week saturday, so that can be his birthday cake.

Good luck with the smash pizza!! TB

Hey all!

Sorry I didn't reply - was away from the web at the weekend and I've had a horrid cold so was hibernating!

I go to class, but the one nearest me is more of a weigh and run class. I'm trying to find one that is a bit more sociable that isn't a £20 taxi ride!

I lost 1lb this week - quite chuffed to get any weight loss at all as I was bad this weekend. Had 3 almond croissants and about 4 pints this weekend, synning that up was not fun!

Back on track this week though. Got my 1 stone sticker today too :D

Hiya Ladies,
Congrats on getting your one stone sticker ScotDeb! I've never felt happier to receive a sticker in my life than when it's from Slimming World lol. I always find weekends the hardest time, especially when my boyfriend comes down to see me. He lives in Birkenhead, so just the other side of the water from you. I've been to a meeting up there to weigh in before and everyone seemed lovely, but I'm guessing that'll be a bit far for you to travel. Have you looked on Slimming World website to find other local meetings?

Glad to hear you're having fun in the snow TB. I think walking about in the snow will burn extra calories as all your muscles are clenched to stop you falling over. I imagine it works a bit like the muscle toning of the Reebok easytone and Fit Flop trainers (I soooo want santa to bring me some of those lol).

Oh I have good news.....Alan came down this weekend and we DIDN'T have any form of takeaway. That may not seem a big deal, but in the two and a bit years we've been together neither of us can think of a time that we've spent together when we haven't had at least one takeaway. It's like seeing him and having a takeaway come hand in hand. Oh....I know a great pizza place on the Wirral, but I'm not going to tell you about it ScotDeb because that would be mean lol. So anyway, WE DID IT! Even if I haven't lost weight this week I'm still going to skip proudly into my meeting, because I feel that I've overcome a huge step. Also, I'm so proud of Al because he walked me to a meeting then went into town to do some Christmas shopping. First place he went to was McDonalds for a breakfast and he queued up, then remembered that we aren't having takeaway food. SO HE WALKED OUT. I'm so so proud of him, the rule was only meant to be for me, but he's embraced it too. Then he went to a bakery and just bought himself a bottle of orange juice! That boy has more self control than I think I'll ever have lol.

I did try the smash pizza. It was ok, but not as nice as I was expecting. I think that this was partly to do with me overcooking the base before I put the toppings on. I'm going to give it another go though, because it has potential lol!

Take care, especially in the snow!
Love C x

Hello all,

Claire good on you for avoiding the takeaways, and what a good boyfriend to make such an effort!!

Scotdeb, congrats on the one stone shiny.

It is still very very cold here. We have not had water since Sunday. We do have a water supply at the farm yard so dear husband brings up big drums of water and lifts them into the attic to fill the reservoir tanks, so we have running hot and cold water in the bathrooms and hot water in the kitchen. But......No water supply to the washing machine or the dishwasher...I miss the dishwasher more than the washing machine...god I hate washing dishes, I put EVERYTHING in the dishwasher, and when the dishwasher is full, the next load of dishes are very patient and wait their turn!!

On track, exercising, all is good, counting down the days 'til we go to Canada. This cold weather is just getting us in the mood for a real wintery christmas!

I went shopping a few days this week, bought a fab coppery brown velvet John Rocha dress in Debenhams, it looks good and I feel fab wearing it, it will be lovely Christmas day and for visiting over the holidays with boots and tights. Today I bought a new pair of jeans, the fit is really good, and because they fit so well, there are no bulges over the top of the waistband and so I can wear all my tops comfortably. There is nothing worse that jeans that are too tight at the waist, resulting in a bulging top, when that happens I have to wear a cardigan over to hide the bulge of fat!! And I think adding a cardigan just bulks me up more.

Tomorrow I am going to go through my wardrobe and plan my outfits for my holidays, only bringing clothes that fit well and look good!!

Good night, Trixie

Hi TB,
Sounds like you're having a productive time, even though it's cold outside and you have no water. I don't have a dishwasher and always have to wash up, now that I'm cooking more it usually results in great big piles of dishes sitting patiently on the work surface.

I just re-read your last post and noticed you said about your school...do you work in a school or is it the school that your kids go to? Just being nosey really, I used to work in schools until recently.

I COMPLETELY know what you mean about the jeans bulge. Since I've lost weight I haven't managed to get into a smaller size yet. This has led me to the conclusion that I was wearing size 18 clothes, but was probably a size 20 in denial. They were incredibly tight and probably very bad looking, but I wasn't prepared to buy bigger (even if it would have looked better). I have a huge 'waterfall' cardigan that I wrapped around me like a blanket (even in the Summer) to hid a multitude of sins and podgy bits. Now after losing well over a stone and a half I'm still wearing the same clothes...only there's less flesh spilling over the top lol. I can't wait to fit into smaller clothes. I've wanted to lose weight for ages and I've often bought sale clothes in my current size as well as my ideal size so when I get down to my goal weight I literally have a wardrobe full of new clothes to wear. I have some nice dresses from Monsoon sale and funky jeans, as well as lovely tops from years ago that I've refused to get rid of as I wanted to shrink back to that size!...As you can imagine I have two wardrobes lol.

Oh and a tip I heard (but never had the guts to do) is when you fit into a smaller size you get rid of the larger clothes. That way you can't let yourself gain weight or you have nothing to wear. As a previous serial yo-yo dieter this has always been a daunting (and potentially expensive) prospect, but this time I think I'm going to do it. I'm going to get slim and stay slim!

I just realised that I forgot to tell you my news.....I reached Club 10! I've now lost 10% of my body weight. I was given another pretty sticker and a certificate, hurrah. This week I shed 3 and a half pounds, so avoiding the occasional takeaway definitely pays off. I'm still smiling about it and almost feel the need to start telling people in the street (although not quite lol). If I keep it off for 10 weeks then I get a week of fat club for free...which is an insentive as I'm broke.

Anyway, I hope you're having a good week, not long 'til your Canada trip now! Do you have a goal that you want to reach before you go?

Take care,
C x

Good evening,

Wow Claire, 3 1/2 pounds is great considering you are a good few weeks in on the Slimming World Plan. Good for you.

I totally get what you are saying about the jeans, the size I bought didn't go down, just a better fit, it was a bit upsetting that the size was the same as what I was wearing before losing some weight. Anyway, the thing is that with well fitting bottoms my tops are 2 sizes smaller that the bottoms, very disproporation!! Big butt...like J Lo (lol!!!).

When I say our school I mean my kids school, but when they have a day off so do I...I don't have to take them there and I don't have to spend 2 to 3 hours supervising homework. I do wonder what they do a school sometimes!! But I think the teachers have such big classes and the classes have so many disruptive kids as well as kids with special needs who need more attention, that the average/above average kid is lost in the shuffle and when they do need a bit of guidance/help it has to come from the home.

My goal for my trip to Canada (in ten days) is to lose a few pounds and boost up my exercise. If I could keep up my running while I am away and keep the food under control some of the days I will be happy.

I have completed the Slimming World ten week Walk to Run programme. I started running for 1 minute and walking for 3 repeated 4 times....for a total of 16 minutes.....today I ran for 4 minutes and walked for 1 minute repeated 8 times....for a total of 40 minutes!!

Must go now, have a great weekend.

I stayed the same this week. Not too bothered, I feel good and my clothes are fitting really well.

On the water front... dear husband bypassed the frozen water line yesterday with an over ground pipe...so we had water for the afternoon, I ran the dishwasher...man it was not smelling very good as I was storing the dishes in there during the day until I had a supply of hot water to wash them altogether in the evening. I also managed to wash two loads of clothes...the kids uniforms and some towels. The line was frozen again by 6 pm and the temperature did not go above freezing today so there was no thawing of the water pipe today. I would be getting very stressed about this water situation, particularly if it lasts for a few months....but I am not getting stressed as we WONT BE here for a month....so looking forward to our trip.

Must go, have a great day tomorrow. TB

Wow, huge congrats on your Club 10 Clarabelle! That's an amazing achievement (and a new sticker!! :D)

Well done Trixie for STS even though you were snowed in. I wouldn't be able to avoid eating if I was stuck in the house.

I lost 3lbs this week. Absolutely delighted as it was the work Xmas party this week, sit down dinner and open bar. It could have been a disaster but I knew I was being fairly careful - I had the melon to start then turkey, no pud. It's the drinks that get you though. I managed to make 2 G&T's last the whole evening so was pretty proud of myself.

Thanks for not telling me the pizza place on the Wirral Clara, I think that would just be asking for trouble. There is another SW club that's not too far from me that meets in the evenings, I've been told it's really good so I might check it out at some point. I'm used to having my lunchtime WI now though, not sure I could handle the suspense of waiting until 7.30pm!!

Hi all,

Scotdeb, great job with the 3 pound loss.

We are still frozen here...had water for a few hours on monday...it was like a miracle seeing water come out of the tap...but it only lasted a few hours, I managed to get a bit of laundry done and a load through the dishwasher.

Kids have a day off school today (December 8 is a holy day here and schools are closed). They are still in bed so the house is quiet.

We are busy getting ready for our trip next week. I have 20kgs of biscuits and sweets in a suitcase....presents for everyone...not the most diet friendly gift, but it is christmas and everyone in Canada love the irish/english chocolate covered biscuits and sweets. And i was able to tick about 15 families/couples off my shopping list!!

The suitcase has been in my bedroom since last friday and it has...so far.... stayed zipped!! Since starting Slimming World I just don't seem to have as much of a craving for sweet things. That is definitely a good thing.

I have completed the 10 week Run to Walk programme (it only took me 12 weeks...) and I have decided to amend the programme to give myself a more frequent and do-able run. So I am doing 5 minutes running one minute walking repeated 5 times for a total of 30 minutes. I will do that for the next few weeks. As we are going away I think, in my bizarre head, 30 minutes exercise is do-able 4 or 5 times a week. The last few weeks of the programme demanded between 34 and 40 minutes of running...I know if I thought I needed to find 40 minutes to exercise I would probably put it off and not bother...30 minutes just seems more 'fit-in-able'. Am I crazy???

Must buy new runners when I get to Toronto and I have literally worn out the ones I have been using for the last few months!! Might ask santa to bring me a new pair as well!

Have a great day, TB

Well TB it sounds like you're doing fantastically well with your running. I'm so impressed! I'm really not a runner myself, I just get bored and sore lol. This week I have finally brushed the dust off the exercise bike in my front room and have done 2x 20 min sessions....it's a start right! Also, I totally know what you mean about 30 min seeming loads less than 40 min. It definitely seems like a lifetime's difference when exercising. I think that trainers would be an excellent idea for santa, I've asked him for the back catalogue of slimming world cookbooks and one of those egg timers for boiling an egg. Egg and soliders followed by fruit, e.g. grapefruit seems like such an extravagant breakfast but I love it because it's free (apart from the flora light spread on the toast).

It's also so impressive that you've not been nibbling at all those goodies in your house. I'm not sure I could manage that. My boyfriend now has crisps that I don't like (wotsit type things) at my house (he's a star!)because I'm pretty sure I'd munch my way through nice ones, even if they weren't for me. Saying that, I'm definitely much better than I was. A few weeks back I bought a multipack of mini milkybar buttons because a slimming world friend said a small bag is enough to satisfy that craving. The first day I ate three bags...needless to say they disappeared pretty quickly. Nowadays I buy multipacks of curlywurlys. I think that because they are longer and seem bigger (even though similar syns) I only need one to satisfy my chocolate need. Also, because the multipack only has 5 bars in it, if I did go crazy and eat the lot it'd be bad, but not as bad as eating a multipack with more packs in it (such as the milkybar buttons). I have to say I'm being very restrained too. They're sitting in the cupboard and I didn't even have one today and sometimes I forget they are even there.

Scotdeb, I think you're my hero....only 2 gin and tonics is incredibly restrained for a Christmas party. With everyone letting their hair down you did really well not to go mad! I personally find that as soon as I've had the first drink my resolve starts to disappear. If I go out and plan to have one drink it's just not worth it because I'll want more, I'm better off just having none at all. It also soons like you made the right choices for the food. The 3lb weight loss seems like a worthy reward for such restraint. Both of you are so fantastic and dedicated, I feel like the naughty kid sitting at the back of the class. I gave in to temptation of Friday and had a bottle of wine. I don't drink very often so it was a bit of a treat. The only problem was that after a couple of glasses I couldn't care less about the diet and I ordered a pizza. Although I'd like to point out I ordered the smallest one available and decided to not have a starter to keep my syn splurge to a minimum. Oh and I opted for simple cheese and tomato, so I wasn't wasting more syns on greasy peperoni. Even in a tipsy state I was a bit restrained when making a bad food decision lol. I'm hoping the exercise bike and making good choices for the rest of the week will make up for the slip up...I don't even have my boyfriend to blame this time haha.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow. I really hope I lose, but if I don't then at least I can see why. I feel so terrible for people that say they have been absolutely perfect with the diet and exercise but either put on or stay the same. It seems so unfair and deflating. At least when I gain I deserve it lol.

Speak soon.
Love C x

P.S. TB will you be keeping us updating whilst you're in Canada or won't you have internet access?

P.P.S Both- How are you planning on managing Christmas? E.g. are you taking any days off the diet, are you using flexi syns at all or are you going to stick to it throughout? I think I might have a relaxed Christmas Day and Boxing Day, maybe have two other flexisyns days and stay 100% for the rest of the time. I'm going to go to the class near my boyfriends too whilst I'm up there...just to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I was impressed with myself at being so restrained at the Christmas Party. It helped that it was in a casino so I was glued to the blackjack table and couldn't have gotten another drink if I wanted it :))

For Christmas, I am taking Christmas Day completely off and will go back on plan for Boxing Day. I'm spending Christmas Day with just myself and my boyfriend so it shouldn't be too bad a day anyway.

Then I'll have another day off for the 27th as we are going up to my boyfriend's sister's house and she is doing a big meal. I am a keen baker in my spare time so will be doing all the desserts/sweets for the day which is good as I'm never in the mood for my own baking once it's done! :)

Back