Plumfoodie's diary and ramblings

Thanks ladies. Surprisingly it improved pretty quickly and I was able to get back to my exercising today. :)

I really don't know how people with young children survive eating at all of the 'days out' type places. All the ones around here have chips, chips, and more chips (sometimes wedges for variety), and plenty of doorstep sandwiches, pasties, jacket potatoes and burgers. Not to mention scores of cakes. Mad props to those who manage to do well! I've said to my friend that next time we all take her wee girl somewhere it will be nice to stop at M&S or Waitrose for some nice picnic bits (and probably cheaper too, these places are expensive)!

My kids would have Chinese noodles or rice over mcDs, they even like subway better than mcDs - I like subway because they do salad bowls that are heaps nicer and more filling than mcDs

Subway is great! Unfortunately most of the kid-friendly attractions around here are in the middle of nowhere and it's a case of either bringing your own or eating theirs. :(

Well, I've done something very silly. Yesterday morning I took a strong Nurofen on an empty stomach (yes, it's my own fault as I DO know better). Within about 10 minutes I developed severe stabbing stomach pains (quite scary if I may say so) but managed to stagger to the kitchen and get a glass of milk, which dulled the pain enough for me to make breakfast. After eating I still had pain so took a long acting antacid. An hour later the pain had gone and I thought no more about it until 12 hours later when the antacid wore off. :( I wound up having to take 2 this time (you can have a second an hour after the first if it doesn't work) and was finally able to get to sleep quite late.

It seems pretty obvious that I damaged the lining of my stomach and from what I read this could take a couple of weeks to heal. :(

According to the Internet I should try to eat an alkalising diet during this time, so may not be exactly low GI (I'll also be trying some natural remedies to hopefully avoid being on the antacid the whole time). However I can apparently have porridge with banana and flax for breakfast, so that's a start.

Man, do I feel stupid. :(

Anybody got any suggestions of alkalising meals?

Had a small NSV the other day, I was able to get into a size 14 workout leggings that had been knocking around. Granted, the brand tends to run large, and they were comfy but a little too snug to wear 'out', but I was still pretty pleased. :) With my height and frame and health a 14 is the smallest I aspire to! (although I think I remember being a 12 when I moved to the UK, I was 21 though!)

Lost 0.2lb this week, am still up 1 lb from where I was 2 weeks ago but haven't been eating all my calories (which never works well for me) and some of the things I've been taking for my stomach problem seem to be making me bloat a bit. This week in addition to SBD/low GI I will be calorie cycling (basically different numbers of calories on different days, but the average is correct) which usually works well for me, so we'll see what next Thursday brings!

Hi,

Thanks for your comments on the SW and M.E. thread. I thought that I would reply here instead to ask for more info about the G.I. diet as the whole blood sugar thing rings true for me!

Hi hon! Happy to answer any Qs and will try to type a proper coherent reply tomorrow pm as am off to sleep now. There's a lot of good info in the stickies, Tips & Tricks and GI Foods! are two good'uns. :)

This week's result: -1.9lb from last week

I'm dead pleased with that as it's a new low weight for me, and as it comes in the middle of a week of feeling really awful and mostly just sitting around like a lump, I'm not going to complain!

Forgot to say! I did calorie cycling/zigzag this week, so I had different numbers of calories on different days, with the average working out to be correct. I think it really helped, I had two 'lowest calorie' days which fortunately still had enough calories that I wasn't staaaarving. I did enjoy the high calorie day though! :D

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for your comments on the SW and M.E. thread. I thought that I would reply here instead to ask for more info about the G.I. diet as the whole blood sugar thing rings true for me!

Hi again. :)

Since going on the low GI diet I have found the following benefits over when I was on SW:

I no longer eat junk food and kid myself that it's 'ok' because it's within my syns. Junk food makes me feel terrible, so this is a good thing.

I eat many more vegetables and less fruit, and when I do eat fruit it's usually a low GI fruit (apple, pear, berries, apricots). My plate is usually 1/2 what SW would call 'superfree' and this has really helped my digestion and overall feeling of (relative) well-being.

I eat smaller portions of carbs, and try to stick to 'good' carbs which, coincidentally, tend to have more nutrients. One of the issues with my ME has been that I wasn't digesting or absorbing nutrients from my food very well, so more nutrients are a good thing!

Because of all of the above, my blood sugar is much more stable, even when I was healthy before I was sensitive to swings, but when I got sick it became much much worse. I still do get mild swings sometimes, usually because I've eaten something I shouldn't or missed a meal/snack. Stable blood sugar makes me feel better, I don't get so crashingly tired so often, and it's also beneficial to fat loss because too many insulin peaks/troughs can actually contribute to fat and belly fat. I learned that belly fat actually produces inflammatory hormones and, again, inflammation is an enemy with ME/CFS. Since I've been doing low GI my belly fat is lessening, I still have some but it's getting there.

I am able to eat things that I know are good for me without trying to fit them into my 'syns'. I eat almond butter, flax seeds, avocado, omega 3 oils, juices etc and as long as these fit into my daily allowance I'm happy. I wouldn't have been able to fit all of these foods into my daily syns. I don't personally believe that the very low fat approach in SW did me any good.

I am never starving hungry. Unless things go against my plans, I eat something every 3-4 hours. When I am able to exercise or have done more walking than normal, I eat a bit more. When I'm at home on the sofa or in bed I eat a bit less.

I almost forgot to mention, since going low GI my female hormones seem more stable too, and my TOTM is not as evil as it used to be. I used to have awful pains and be completely shattered, both of those problems are gone now and TOTM is a couple of days shorter than it used to be too. Which when you have ME/CFS can be a huge benefit!

So, that's been the 'pros' for me! I've been eating this way for about a year now and (apart from this week's evil office germ) haven't felt better than I do now since becoming ill.

I saw in another post you mentioned you had calorie counted for a day and found it quite a chore (I think it was you anyway, sorry if not). I do count calories personally, but only because I found that for me to have effective weight loss without jeopardising my health I had to walk a very fine line. If I have too few calories I feel awful. If I have too many calories then I just don't lose. So for me I've learned to live with it, I have a set of breakfasts in the week that I can 'quick add' in my fitness pal, so make it easier, and I usually try to cook from recipes that have a known calorie count so I don't have to work out the calories for each meal myself. In MFP once your 'favourite' and 'recent' lists build up it gets quicker to log as well. If I'm organised enough I will log two or three days worth in advance, this serves as meal planning and means I don't have to worry about it for a few days.

All that said, you don't have to calorie count to do low GI or GL. There are a number of plans that just give daily guidelines. Rick Gallop's Express GI Diet - a traffic light system that also has many recipes that are very quick to prepare, a boon if you haven't much kitchen stamina, and South Beach Diet Supercharged - guidelines for numbers of portions per day and portion sizes for carbs and fats, are the easiest two that come to mind. Many people also do well just following the low GI principles on their own. A good rule of thumb is 1/2 plate non-starchy veg, 1/4 plate good carbs, 1/4 protein, make sure you eat something every 3-4 hours, and make sure you have some protein with every meal and snack. Good carbs are things like sweet potatoes, new potatoes, brown rice or basmati rice, wholemeal and/or spelt or kamut pasta, soba noodles, wholegrain high fibre bread etc. I would really recommend choosing a book to go from as different authors have some different ideas, but the basics are as outlined above. There's even a Collins Little Gem GI book that again shows traffic light values of many different foods (so green light foods you should eat liberally, yellow light foods only on occasion, red light foods you should avoid).

Happy to answer any other questions, good luck with your decision. If you decide to go low GI I hope you'll stick around the forum. :)

plum x

Last edited:
Hi again. :)

Since going on the low GI diet I have found the following benefits...

Happy to answer any other questions, good luck with your decision. If you decide to go low GI I hope you'll stick around the forum. :)

plum x

Hi! Thanks so much for such a detailed response. I know exactly what you mean about avocados, olives, coconut milk, etc all having a Syn value. I think it's crazy too because they are all good fats, but you could probably have a higher quantity of things like chocolate for a similar Syn value and that's just full of rubbish refined carbs that turn into the bad kind of fat once in the body.

If I use my Syns on these kinds of things then there won't be any left over for junk food, which is good. I do like to have a fresh (mainly vegetable) juice about 5 days a week for breakfast though, which I would have to Syn and then add what would effectively be another meal to that to stay on SW plan (one third superfree, two thirds free) I think is ridiculous because I find the juice filling enough (despite what they say at SW about it not being).

I'm thinking that the general healthy eating with portion control approach might be my best option for the time being. To be honest, I don't even know what I weigh. I haven't been weighed since I was at SW and this could have gone up or down. My hubby is buying me some scales today while he is out. He is going to put them in the loft where I can't reach them (at my request) once I have weighed in, as I can get obsessive about that kind of thing. Anyway, I feel fitter than before I went on my current tablets, although that doesn't necessarily mean I've lost anything, so I'll make a decision later on today about whether I should just continue with with the healthy eating/portion control. I will definitely be incorporating your low G.I. food suggestions though, whatever else I do. I will get on Amazon looking for the Collins book you mentioned! It will come in handy for my husband also, as although he is not overweight he is a runner, and told me he was advised once to eat according to G.I. to get the desired results for his training and races.

Anyway, thanks so much for listening to me whitter on! Keep up the good work, you're an inspiration! :hug99:

x

GoForIt, sounds like you've got some good ideas as to what will work for you! You sound really determined and sensible so I'm sure you will do well. Are you going to start a diary thread somewhere on Minis? x

(and thank you for the kind words! :) )

This week's result: -1.4 lb

I'm really happy about this, especially as I was in London last weekend and my eating was all over the place. I do always lose more in weeks when I don't exercise, so I think some of this loss is down to that. I'm hoping to get back to the exercise this week but am really over-tired and fighting a new office cold so we'll see. I need to at least get back to stretching and core exercises as my back is starting to twinge.

I've had some nice NSVs this week:

I'm now using the smallest hole on the new belts I got a few months ago, so will need either new belts or new holes punched in them soon. (the next size belt will be... a small! Eek! :D

I had to buy some work clothes in the next size down.

I had compliments from two different people saying I looked better/younger/slimmer/more well.

And this is sort of a NSV, my BMI has dropped under 24!

So all in all an encouraging week for me. :)

Plumfoodie said:
This week's result: -1.4 lb

I'm really happy about this, especially as I was in London last weekend and my eating was all over the place. I do always lose more in weeks when I don't exercise, so I think some of this loss is down to that. I'm hoping to get back to the exercise this week but am really over-tired and fighting a new office cold so we'll see. I need to at least get back to stretching and core exercises as my back is starting to twinge.

I've had some nice NSVs this week:

I'm now using the smallest hole on the new belts I got a few months ago, so will need either new belts or new holes punched in them soon. (the next size belt will be... a small! Eek! :D

I had to buy some work clothes in the next size down.

I had compliments from two different people saying I looked better/younger/slimmer/more well.

And this is sort of a NSV, my BMI has dropped under 24!

So all in all an encouraging week for me. :)

Wow all those compliments must have made you smile :)

Plus all those NSV! And a loss as well fantastic!

Hope you get over your cold soon!

Back