Ruby's Starting Over (Again!)

Thank you very much! Today is going to be an extreme test of will power at work. One of my colleagues is trying to cheer me up after the rubbish time I've had recently and he knows I like things with caramel. So there is now a massive bag of cadbury's caramel nibbles and a pile of millionaires shortbread less than a foot away from me! I might treat myself to a couple of little bits and then forgo the wine at book club tonight!

Thank you very much! Today is going to be an extreme test of will power at work. One of my colleagues is trying to cheer me up after the rubbish time I've had recently and he knows I like things with caramel. So there is now a massive bag of cadbury's caramel nibbles and a pile of millionaires shortbread less than a foot away from me! I might treat myself to a couple of little bits and then forgo the wine at book club tonight!

Take them somewhere else? Offer them round to everyone? Take them and bin them??

These are the normal tricks I use! :giggle: x

Hi Ruby, just here to subscribe :wave_cry: Do you attend a weekly WI group or do you do this yourself?

Hi Ruby, just here to subscribe :wave_cry: Do you attend a weekly WI group or do you do this yourself?

I'm going it alone and to be honest it isn't too bad! Although I do kind of miss the camaraderie that you would get at group but then again, I think all of you here kind of make it feel like I'm at a group! And the internet is full of information, most of it coming from the forums here!

Couldn't resist the millionaires shortbread on my desk, as my colleague had gone out of his way especially to get it for me! Going to count that as my syns for the day and move on. Just means that I'm not going to have a drink at book club tonight, but that's no great loss really!

I can't believe my restraint at book club last night! There was such a lovely spread of nibbles and I didn't touch any of it, just stuck to my glass of water. Feel so proud of myself. Yesterday's food looked like this:

Breakfast - Cinnamon cous cous, vanilla activia, strawberries

Lunch - Carrot and ginger soup, 2 kiwis

Dinner - Jacket potato, tuna, cheese (HEA), salad

Snack - Millionaires short bread (SYNS) and alpen light bar (1/2 HEB)

Going back to my parents for the weekend so might not be totally on plan but going to cook myself a nice breakfast before I go: Bacon medallions, eggs, toast, beans, tomatoes and mushrooms. That should fill me up for the day.

Well done for resisting! What book are you reading? X

We just finished reading 'One Step Too Far' by Tina Seskis. Next book is 'I Am Eve' by Christine Costnore-Sizemore (which I've finished) so I'm actually just reading 'Black Swan Green' by David Mitchell.

What's the cous cous u have for brekkie? Do u have it cold? Is it filling? I tend to always have something with toast and would like the option to have a heb later in the day! xx

What's the cous cous u have for brekkie? Do u have it cold? Is it filling? I tend to always have something with toast and would like the option to have a heb later in the day! xx

I just cooked some plain cous cous with water, left it to cool overnight and then mixed it with a yogurt and fruit in the morning and a dash of cinnamon. It was ok, probably would be better heated up first so will try that later on in the week and report back. I know that Holland & Barrett's sell toasted cous cous which is more like a cereal so you might want to check that out.

Will update later on what's been happening this weekend, but let's just say I've not really been on plan...

Any recommendations? X

Well 'One Step Too Far' was pretty good, kept you guessing till the end. Also 'Until You're Mine' which I can't remember who it's by, but it's a kind of thriller also. My tastes can be quite eclectic, what kind of books do you like?

So I might as well post an update now while it's quiet at work since I don't know how busy I'll be tonight.

Went home to visit my parents at the weekend and they took me out to our favorite Italian restaurant where I went off plan in a big way. I could have had a salad but instead my evening consisted of: Lasagne, wine and an amazing desert of waffles and ice cream with home made butterscotch sauce. It was heavenly to say the least and I didn't regret a single bite. Then on Sunday we had roast beef for lunch with proper roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese and massive yorkshire puddings. Again I didn't regret it.

Weighed myself last night and it looked like I'd lost 2lbs this week. However my official weigh in this morning showed only 1lb lost. A lb is still a lb in my book and a loss is still a loss so I'm not complaining. I just need to stick more to plan and not treat myself so much in one go! This does mean that I am now below 12 stone so my first mini goal has been achieved!

So far, today looks like:

Breakfast - Porridge oats (1/2 HEB) with lots of frozen berries and an activia 0% yogurt (went with the pineapple one and I forgot that I'm not too keen on pineapple!)

Lunch - Carrot and Lentil soup, 1 Ryvita (1/2 HEB) and 2 kiwis

Afternoon snack - Banana

Going food shopping after work tonight so will probably have stir fry as something quick when we get back.

ETA: I'm such an idiot, I thought I was bang on 12 stone last week, obviously not! So I've actually lost 2lbs! That's a nice surprise!

Last edited:
Well 'One Step Too Far' was pretty good, kept you guessing till the end. Also 'Until You're Mine' which I can't remember who it's by, but it's a kind of thriller also. My tastes can be quite eclectic, what kind of books do you like?

I'm normally a thriller person, but I also like supernatural/sci-fi. Not the biggest romance person unless its a REALLY good story. Always up for any book that's really good, though.

I'm normally a thriller person, but I also like supernatural/sci-fi. Not the biggest romance person unless its a REALLY good story. Always up for any book that's really good, though.

Do you use Goodreads? I've found it really helpful for finding new books that I never would have known about otherwise!

Today has been a rather good day: had a couple of meetings cancelled so got to chill out more than I'm used too! Food wise is pretty good too -

Breakfast - Porridge oats (1/2 HEB), grated apple, activia 0% fat, mixed berries

Lunch - Lentil and Carrot soup, 2 kiwis

Dinner - Quorn burgers x 2 (1 syn for both), Low Low Cheese Slices x 2 (HEA), grilled mushrooms, potato wedges, salad, gherkins. So looking forward to this!

Snack - Banana, Orange, sainsbury hot chocolate (3.5 syns)

Just a quick pic of dinner tonight:

IMG-20131126-00100.jpg

Looks lovely, out of curiosity, because I can't find it anywhere, how many Syns were the cheese slices? Am I being totally blind and missing it somewhere? :)

I used the 2 cheese slices as my HEA for the day so syn free for me!

I used the 2 cheese slices as my HEA for the day so syn free for me!

Ah, did not know you could do that with them, hadn't noticed them on my list. SCORE! :)

Back