Slow cooker

I'm trying to be more organised so am using my slow cooker a lot more, however I'm finding that the sauces when making curry, Bolognese, etc aren't thickening enough. Does anyone else have this problem or have any solutions?

If you remove the lid for the final hour or so that will help to thicken the sauces

I put a lot less liquid in to start with (about half), or sometimes I strain off the liquid and reduce it in a saucepan and then add it back in.

If it's a stew I throw some pearl barley in which helps thicken it

Potatoes are a good thickener too. Like Flash Harry says, I also add less liquid than the recipe states but some of it is trial and error, until you get used to your slow cooker. I sometimes transfer the cooked meal to a large pan and reduce it all down on the hob, by boiling rapidly until it thickens up.

Kathy

If you remove the lid for the final hour or so that will help to thicken the sauces

Ooh does that work?

I find popping the whole ceramic dish in the oven for the last half hour or so works, but it's a pain, so if I can leave it where it is it will be handy xx

Must admit, I've never found leaving the lid off the slow cooker reduces the liquid significantly enough but maybe that's just me! That's why I always transfer it to a pan, if it's too runny. Also, boiling it up, makes sure it's piping hot. :)

Kathy

I just don't see the point of a slow cooker now I've realised I have to finish it off on the hob! It's totally ruined the charm I thought having a SC would have lol

it just depends what you're cooking, whether it has excess liquid or not and if you've got used to judging how much liquid to put in in the first place. They're great for cooking whole joints, especially brisket. You just put them in as they are and they cook in their own juices. Brilliant for making lots of different dishes, once you get the hang of them. Really handy when you're out at work. Don't let it put you off. :)

Kathy

I use my slow cooker all the time n never have a problem wiv the sauces being runny altho i rarely follow recipes in it but if i do i put hardly any water in .
mine normaly consists of veg meat tinned tomatoes and a drizzle of water just to layer the bottom and what ever spices take my fanci

Hello
I find that the onions taste funny from a slow cooker meal - anyone else found that? I was a bit disappointed when I found most of my slow cooker recipes required pre-frying ingredients, I imagined that you tipped stuff in and a fabby meal came out later! I have a vegetarian SC cookbook but nearly everything requires a faff. Does anyone have a 'chuck it all in' vegetarian recipe they could share please? Red lentils thicken things up well and provide lots of protein in regular cooking.

Must admit, S.O., apart from chorizo, I just chuck everything in, even if the recipe states that it should be browned beforehand and it turns out fine. Even the cook at school says she never browns things before adding to the slow cooker. I just can't be bothered with it and it seems to defeat the object of it being a convenient way of cooking.

Good tip about adding the lentils. Thanks. :)

Kathy

Back