Soup

Can't wait to try some of these recipes, I've yet to make. A nice soup :( my latest fail was a butternut squash soup with far too much coriander .. I see a nice one there I will. Try :) thank you all

How do you transport your soup to work?
I love the sound of home-made soup, but not sure on the best way to take it to work... That's what is putting me off making any for lunches.

Might sound odd, but I always freeze any soup I have made. Put the servings into small food containers bought from Tesco (think they were three for around £2) and then each morning, I take one out of the freezer and take it to work. It has usually just defrosted in time for lunch and I just warm it in the microwave.

I've just made a yummy Onion Soup. I made it a few years ago and couldn't remember the recipe so had to experiment a bit.

5 X Medium Onions
2 X Medium Carrots
2 X Sticks of Celery
1 X Veg Stock Cube
1 X litre Water
3 X Pinch of dry Herbs
1 X Pinch salt
Pepper to taste

I sliced the onions, carrots and celery and placed in the pan, then added the water, stock cube, herbs and salt. Boiled it up and then left to simmer for about 90 mins, I had to added a bit more water after about 45 mins (about 1/2 pint). Then left it to bubble away. Then put it in the food processor to mush down a bit.

It was really nice and very filling. I will definitely be making it again soon.

I think I'll try a tomato soup tomorrow using chopped Tomatoes, not sure how to make it but I'm sure I can experiment :)

I love homemade soup and recently bought a soup maker, very lazy, but it makes it so easy. Will definitely be making some of these lovely soups, so nice for lunch rather than soup at the mo.

MUSHROOM SOUP - Serves 6

Syn Free

2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 leeks, thinly chopped
750g mix of mushrooms
1.2 litres (2 pints) of stock. A mix of veg and chicken is good.
3 big sprigs of thyme
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped (optional)

Spray a large pan well with Frylight (or use 1 tbsp. olive oil, if you prefer. Only 1 Syn each).
Gently cook the chopped leeks and garlic until soft.
Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the stock, thyme and coriander. Heat through, then simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and blend in a food processor, in batches.
Season to taste, reheat and serve in warmed bowls.

Especially if I am doubling up on this soup, I use the pan of my pressure cooker to make it in, as there are so many mushrooms!

Kathy

ROASTED TOMATO, PEPPER AND CHORIZO SOUP - Serves 4

6.5 Syns for the whole recipe

1 red onion, quartered
2 long sweet red peppers, halved lengthways and deseeded
4 plum tomatoes, halved
2 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
500ml hot chicken stock
400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
100g diced, fried chorizo - 6.5 Syns
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
15g fresh basil, roughly torn

Pre-heat the grill to High.
Arrange the onion, peppers and tomatoes on a baking tray, cut side down, with the cloves of garlic.
Grill the veg until the skins are beginning to blacken - about 6-8 mins.
Let them cool, then remove the skins and squeeze the garlic flesh from the skins.
Chop half the veg into small chunks and put the remainder in a food processor with the garlic flesh and stock. Blend until smooth, then return to the pan with the chopped veg. Season.
Bring the soup to the boil, stirring occasionally. Add the beans, chorizo and balsamic vinegar.
Cover and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes. Scatter the basil over before serving in warmed bowls.

Can anyone help me with the syn value on green day of my homemade lentil soup please? A pot serves about 6 and all it is approx 200g red lentil, 4 knorr ham stock cubes, 3 large carrots, 1/2 medium swede and 1/2 medium leek. I could live of it but am worried as I have no idea of syn value. Thanks

Can anyone help me with the syn value on green day of my homemade lentil soup please? A pot serves about 6 and all it is approx 200g red lentil, 4 knorr ham stock cubes, 3 large carrots, 1/2 medium swede and 1/2 medium leek. I could live of it but am worried as I have no idea of syn value. Thanks

I usually don`t like to reply to ths sort of post- but here goes.

Lentils - Free. stock cubes - Free, carrots - Free, Swede - Free, leek - Free.
They are all free on green so soup free on Green and Extra Easy.

Hope that ok, easier for me than just thinking in my head

I am loving having soup at the moment as its so nice and syn saving :p thing is due to work etc I need easy ways of doing things so I stick to the plan....so brought a soup maker which I tried curried vegetable soup in and it was super yummy and quick/easy....does anyone else have a soup maker? If so any good recipes you can recommend? Thanks

Sent from my LT26i using MiniMins.com mobile app

My soup maker is my favourite gadget at the moment, I am either adapting ordinary recipes and using fry light instead of oil, fromage frais instead of cream etc or I just look in the fridge and the cupboard and use up stray veg, leftover meat and chuck in tins of beans, tomatoes, peas, lentils, whatever I fancy and hey presto 20 mins later I have gorgeous thick warm soup - the problem is I can't recreate it! Oh and I don't peel my veg, well only butternut squash or stuff like that but not carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes etc, chop 'em up and chuck 'em in!

I use it to buy reduced veg as well, the other day I bought a massive bag of mushrooms going out of date for a quid, rushed home and got the soup maker out, chucked in a few flavourings, herbs, garlic, couple of carrots and I had a lovely filling lunch and three portions of yummy mushroom soup in the freezer - for a quid!

Try experimenting, you'll amaze yourself!

WG x

THAI CHICKEN SOUP - Serves 3

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving

2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
2cm chunk of root ginger, chopped
1 stalk of lemongrass, gently bashed
25g pack of coriander, leaves and stalks chopped separately
2 tbsp. red Thai curry paste - 2 Syns
750ml chicken stock, made with 2 stock cubes
160ml light coconut milk - 6 Syns
500g sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
1 lime, juice only
1 tsp. granulated sweetener
Half tsp. fish sauce - Blue Dragon Nam Pla is Free

Spray a large pan well with Frylight. Add the garlic, chilli, ginger, lemongrass, coriander stalks and curry paste and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the aromas are released.
Add the chicken stock, coconut milk and sweet potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
Remove the lemongrass and throw away. Transfer the pan contents to a blender and whizz until smooth.
Return to the pan, add the chicken and cook gently for 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir through the lime juice, sweetener and fish sauce, scatter with the coriander leaves ane serve in warmed bowls.
Great with a crusty chunk of HEX bread.
Don't over-bash the lemon-grass or you'll end up with stringy bits in the soup. Could use ordinary potatoes or BNS instead of sweet potatoes. Could also use cooked, shredded chicken instead of raw. Can omit the lime juice if you like and substitute the fish sauce with Worcester sauce, if you haven't any in. It will freeze too.

Really yummy, authentic tasting soup! :)

A favourite in our house at the moment is this soup. If I have done the working out right I think this is free on Green Days?
My other half likes his hotter so I put in more chilli flakes in his portion. We make up extra then put shredded chicken in and freeze for curry night on Fridays :)

Indian Tomato Soup

1 onion roughly chopped
1 garlic clove
1 tsp garam masala
1 pinch chilli flakes
400g tin chopped tomato
500ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp red lentils
1/2 bunch corriander (chopped)

Fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes then add the rest of the ingredients (minus the corriander). Bring to the boil and let simmer for 20 mins. Add the corriander and cook for further 3 minutes.
Either blend using a hand blender, or we transfer ours to the processor and blitz until smooth.
I also add fat free natural yoghurt to mine.

Sounds tasty for a curry night!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

SWEET POTATO, LENTIL AND CHILLI SOUP

Syn Free

1 small onion, finely chopped
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
100g red lentils
1 red chilli, with or without seeds, finely chopped OR 1 tsp. hot chilli powder
150ml vegetable stock

Put the red lentils into a small pan and simmer for about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse with boiling water.
Cook the sweet potatoes until tender.
Cook the onion and chilli (if using fresh) in a large, non-stick pan, sprayed well with Frylight, until softened.
Add the sweet potatoes, lentils, (chilli powder, if not using fresh) and vegetable stock to the onion and chilli mixture and bring to the boil.
Simmer, with the lid on, for approx. 10-15 minutes.
Blend until smooth, re-heat and serve.

Lovely served with a chunk of crusty HEX bread. I sometimes sprinkle HEX grated cheese over, just before serving! :)

Kathy

I like good old chicken and rice soup. Some rice and a few chicken oxo cubes and boiling water leave it to simmer till the rice is cooked. Cheap and cheerful and the kids love it xx

I got mine off ebay and it arrived yesterday. Can`t wait to try it out. Gonna see if there`s any copies left of the soup recipe book when I go the group.

I got mine from ebay too and ditto for the soup book (though I've done a fair amount of Googling for new recipes already as well as finding loads on Minis :) ) Saturdays are the day for my weekly visit to the proper greengrocers, so I'm going to get some stuff in so I can use it straight away when it arrives - I'm like a kid waiting for Xmas! lol.

Back