Sugar Alcohols and why Atkins Bars are evil.

Oh thanks for bumping. Much as I hate to admit it, I am sure sweeteners do slow me down..

The Joseph's sf maple syrup is so delicious that i knew it must be too good to be true.. Am not at home to check but am sure it contains sugar alcohol.

I am actually quite tempted to buy a blood sugar testing kit and do some experiments after davinci syrup etc. but maybe that's going too far..

For now I just limit sweeteners to the weekend or if I am really craving something (which you normally don't if you cut the cr@p out!).

Well my welcome kit arrived from Atkins (been doing for nearly 3 week) and threw the free Atkins bar straight out, read the leaflet and boy do the push their "snacks" don't like it one bit xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yes quite. If you read the original Atkins books - before there was a company to push the diet products - he's incredibly anti sugar alcohols and doesn't say you can subtract them from 'net' carbs anywhere. What a difference corporate money makes, eh.

The daily menu planners on their site suggest 2 Atkins 'treats' a day!!

Oh so glad I read this I was making a massive error with the bars!! Also in the new book it says avoid aspartame as they are concerned regarding safety. Anyone any ideas? The only flavoured water I like is mcbees strawberry and kiwi and it uses this. Thanks

Aspartame is sort of a 'your mileage may vary' product.

Most of what you hear about aspartame is myth/hype - no human studies of aspartame have ever proven it to have the rumored ill effects (and there have been a lot of human studies - its one of the most tested consumables out there).

However some people do seem to be reactive to it and find it gives them headaches. If you're one of those people, best avoid it. Personally I use it with no problems - and it's not a sugar alcohol so stalling isn't an issue for the reasons sugar alcohol may stall.

My favorite sweetener is sucralose - liquid sucralose by the hermestas brand is what I use most. Atkins himself recommended stevia.

If you desperately need a bar then there is a brand called quest which don't contain sugar alcohols - I've still heard some people saying they stall but ingredients wise they're infinitely better.

However, far better to make yourself a sweet mim or cocoa bark, or a slice of low carb Swiss roll. Almond cakes in owl are brilliant too. On Atkins though I would say the less you rely on sweet treats the better things go - just from my own experiences and observations.

If you desperately need a bar then there is a brand called quest which don't contain sugar alcohols - I've still heard some people saying they stall but ingredients wise they're infinitely better.

However, far better to make yourself a sweet mim or cocoa bark, or a slice of low carb Swiss roll. Almond cakes in owl are brilliant too. On Atkins though I would say the less you rely on sweet treats the better things go - just from my own experiences and observations.

I'll have a search for them on the Internet, thankyou. Funny thing is, I don't even have a sweet tooth and when I'm eating 'normal' I never eat sweets or chocolate. I always crave it on low carb though! Strange :D

Thanks moonlight. I haven't noticed headaches with it and I'm the most headachey person ever!! I will stick was mainly worried it would make me stall xx

I'll have a search for them on the Internet, thankyou. Funny thing is, I don't even have a sweet tooth and when I'm eating 'normal' I never eat sweets or chocolate. I always crave it on low carb though! Strange :D

We are hardwired to seek out carbs and when we deny ourselves carbs our brains signal our body that we should find some. Sweet carbs are the quickest for our bodies to digest so those are the ones we crave. When our bodies get enough carbs there is no need for cravings. The good news is when we are really in ketosis the cravings fade and disappear as our bodies and brains get used to an alternative fuel source.

Ah that's good to hear moonlights, the shakes are my life savers for breakfast when I'm in a rush!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back