Syn free or low syn cake

Having a bake off with my daughter tonight! I am making this and she is making a cake of her choice! Just hope this tastes good and I dont end up sharing hers! Ha!

Oh Crikey I am sad to say I really didn't like this :-( really wanted to

Hi there!

It was probably the 1/2 syn cake recipe, which is this:
1. Whisk 4 egg whites in a bowl until they reach soft peak stage
2. In another bowl, whisk together 4 egg yolks, 4tbspn sweetener, half tub a quark, 1 tsp baking powder (1/2 syn), 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Then whisk in half the egg whites.
3. Fold in the remaining egg whites with a metal spoon
4. Tip the mixture into a sandwich tin, lined with baking parchment (2 if you want to make a double cake with filling, or on a tray if you're doing swiss roll style)
5. Bake in oven (180c) until well risen and brown (approx. 20mins). It will sink when you first take it out, dont worry.
6. To make topping/filling- mix other half of quark tub with 1 tbspn of sweetener, as well as vanilla/fromaige frais/orange zest if you'd like.
7. Spread that or use as filling, as required and add fruits of your choice in filling/as topping.

I haven't tried to make this myself yet but intend to try tonight :)
~X~

mmm going to have to try this i love cake

I'm going to have a go this weekend:) x

Can anyone tell me if Quark comes in a standard size tub? I have a couple at home in the fridge to make the 1/2 Syn Cake later and all the recipes I find just state half a tub. Surely different supermarkets sell it in different sizes.

Thanks

Hi there!

It was probably the 1/2 syn cake recipe, which is this:
1. Whisk 4 egg whites in a bowl until they reach soft peak stage
2. In another bowl, whisk together 4 egg yolks, 4tbspn sweetener, half tub a quark, 1 tsp baking powder (1/2 syn), 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Then whisk in half the egg whites.
3. Fold in the remaining egg whites with a metal spoon
4. Tip the mixture into a sandwich tin, lined with baking parchment (2 if you want to make a double cake with filling, or on a tray if you're doing swiss roll style)
5. Bake in oven (180c) until well risen and brown (approx. 20mins). It will sink when you first take it out, dont worry.
6. To make topping/filling- mix other half of quark tub with 1 tbspn of sweetener, as well as vanilla/fromaige frais/orange zest if you'd like.
7. Spread that or use as filling, as required and add fruits of your choice in filling/as topping.

I haven't tried to make this myself yet but intend to try tonight :)
~X~

Back