The "whatever" Exercise Challenge

2 X 12.1 mile road cycle commute that I turn into a time trial. Smashed it on the way home with quickest average speed this year, 18.3 mph. Felt strong, put 4 X 1 min zone 5 heart rate efforts in. Will go easy tomorrow.

Not great but it's better than nothing!!
Also I didn't wake up at all last night which is a rarity!!
image.png

Ruth
X

image.png

Another 2x12.1 milers. Both hard efforts. The morning effort was the faster yet for the early ride. The evening commute was a hard effort with 6 X 1 min effort in heart rate zone 5 ( my heart rate into 167-172) average speed 18 mph. It's a flat route so I need to mix the efforts to get the best out if it. 72 miles this week, hope to get out for a long ride this weekend and 1,733.6 miles done so far this year.

Poppet, yes start off by just riding to enjoy it and build your time up in the saddle. It's not just your legs that will ache to start start with. Hills ,you just take at your own pace, no heroics, they are a challenge and you can measure your progress on them. If you've got a nice area to cycle round , go and enjoy it, try it. There might even be a nice bike club in your area that will cater for beginners, social rides. Word of warning....it's addictive and so enjoyable ( most of the time)

Last edited:
Another fast ride in this morning, easy ride home. 24.2 miles today, 48.5 this week. Feeling tired in the legs.

I need to get out on my bike as I absolutely love being out on a bike. When I go out here I stick to the same routes and just love getting a personal record on Strava.

Been sticking to my Callanetics all week. Have noticed a real difference already.

It's funny ( sort of) that I had been thinking about those sort of incidents. Other group members have had it happen. There is a tiny piece of mesh in the front vent if the helmet, nothing on the sides. We were going quite fast at the time and I felt it hit my head I sude the helmet and stung me almost simultaneously, I did utter the F word and scrambled to unclip my lid quickly to the amusement of those behind me. Blo@dy thing had already made its escape before I could get it off. Fun cycling is good, it leads to more cycling!

I used to ride a motorbike and would panic about this exact situation. I don't really mind wasps too much if I can move away from them! But would often keep my visor down just in case! You did well not to crash!
Will take the bike somewhere flat I think and see how I get on. I like to think my legs have got stronger from running so might be pleasantly surprised! Currently psyching myself up for a Sunday 5k...

Completed another 7 mile (power) walk this morning, started off quite chilly but believe me I soon warmed up, really enjoyed it, clears the mind and encourages me to stay on track.

Back