The "whatever" Exercise Challenge

3 days of cycling commuting, 76.5 miles.

Getting much colder in the mornings, 4° today, blo@dy chilly

I managed over 11k steps yesterday (dragged OH on a walk in the afternoon to give it a boost) so happy with that! I'm at just over 7k today but still have all the animals to put away so that will increase.
Spent most of the day sorting out my spare room which was hard work but not moving much! Had a walk round a car showroom this morning which helped..

I would like to challenge myself to run 5k by the end of October! I am soon to finish couch to 5k but my furthest distance so far is ~4K but I definitely think I have the fitness to run 5k, just need to get off my ass and do it! My knee is a little sore at the moment and I'm trying to go to the gym a little more at the moment (I only really like running outside) but I think I have four runs left on c25k which I will complete before trying a 5k run - not gonna do it in the half an hour the app gives you quite yet!:p

Oh thanks for reviving this thread @gudetama I'd lost it!
I had nearly finished C25K but changed phones and lost the app! I have run 5k a few times though and once you get so far in I find you don't need the app so much.
Do you use a distance tracker? Map My Run is a good one, just tells you when you've run a kilometre and in what time.
I still can't get under 30 minutes, I think my closest was 32 but started at 43! Keep at it (and try wearing a knee support?)
I have embarkd on the 30 Day Shred which is good for exercising everyday as I don't need to go out in the horrid weather and as I tell myself, it's only 20 minutes (though I am a bit achey!)

How are we doing? It's getting tougher to fit outdoor activities in with the day light fading and weather changing along with competing priorities with animals and paddocks. How are you guys fitting your PT in?
I've managed to still get the odd commute to a station 12 miles away. Managed about 45 miles last week. Did a 27 Mike rude earlier today, not massive but I found a few hills. I've got a 100km ride coming up on the 30th October, last competition if the year and my club is desperate to win it ( number of members that complete earn points that get rallied up at the end ). Bright and breezy today, missed the showers. Some mornings have been chilly 4° and pitch black.

Last edited:
Ra-ra you're 5 mile walk is brill, no competition. I love hearing what everyone has been up to, we've all been a bit quiet recently and I'm trying to keep my cycling going through the winter ( not when it's peeing down or blowing a hoolie)

I'm driven by fear of failure and making the 100km (62 miles or so) event next week as easy as possible. Got an event so got to commit to it. As for being focused on SW, that's so key, you can't outrun or out cycle a bad diet.

Today's ride was way longer than anticipated but it's done and I'm very pleased with it. Can't stop eating tonight though.. Keep going back for more chicken curry and rice!

Doesn't have to be amazing, just has to be consistent and part if a lifestyle. We all have blips and breaks but getting back in the groove is key in the long run. Chip away at it. Walking is not valued enough, the easiest and most basic thing to do. if I'm not in my cycling shoes I walk to and from the station to my office ,25 mins each way. My Disney fall is finding time to do the resistance training for core and upper body. You guys were doing shreds and squat challenges, that was impressive and I know how much it hurts. I'm going to see if I can fit some press ups/plank/ lunges and core work a couple of time a week. The challenge is fitting it all in around our already busy lives.

Have you read the thing about filling up a jar with stones , sand water ? Just when you think the jar is full you can fit more in? The jar being our lives and the stones ,sand and water are the things we can fit in. The tag line is that there is always room for a glass of wine with good friends! I liked that.

I am familiar with the stones/sand in a jar thing- and I know I could fit more in if I really tried!
I enjoyed doing the shred (to an extent haha) because I liked how easy it was to fit into the day with it being short but high impact.
I agree that walking is underrated- I love a nice walk. Always good to have a catch up with the OH too.
This week has been a busy one and I've had a cold which has sapped the last bit of my energy. I went to bed last night and as I was climbing the stairs, my legs felt like they do at the end of a 5k run. Like I had nothing left to give at all. But hopefully I'll get a bit more energy back now it seems to be on it's way out.
Watch this space!

Oh thanks for reviving this thread @gudetama I'd lost it!
I had nearly finished C25K but changed phones and lost the app! I have run 5k a few times though and once you get so far in I find you don't need the app so much.
Do you use a distance tracker? Map My Run is a good one, just tells you when you've run a kilometre and in what time.
I still can't get under 30 minutes, I think my closest was 32 but started at 43! Keep at it (and try wearing a knee support?)
I have embarkd on the 30 Day Shred which is good for exercising everyday as I don't need to go out in the horrid weather and as I tell myself, it's only 20 minutes (though I am a bit achey!)

Sorry I never saw your reply, but I'm only back because I've only gonna and bloody done it!! Took 44 minutes but I took it at quite an easy pace for me - could've gone and also could've gone a bit faster I think, but it was my first time running so far so I just wanted to make it nice and easy. I still use the app though I don't find I really need it now - didn't seem to be working during my run today but I didn't really notice. I use map my walk and just set it to run. :p

Well done @gudetama ! That's brilliant, I bet you feel fab for doing it. Next time you'll be hoping to get your time down and I bet will end up going faster.
Lol @Quins I have been pondering what you could have meant but didn't like to point it out! Autocorrect has some strange ideas sometimes. Thanks for the well wishes, I know I just need to take it easy but try telling the animals that. Donned a rather fetching headband thing to keep the cold out of my sore ear and got on with the day.
Bath time now aaaand relax :) Fake Fitbit is on charge ready for tomorrow!

Thanks Poppet, next goal is to get under 40 minutes by end of the year :p feel absolutely fabulous - knew I've been capable for a while but actually managing it is so exciting!!

Back