Total Solution This has to be it!

Thanks Darcy. You've made great progress.

7.30am - glass of water
8.00am - black coffee
10.30am - vanilla shake made with 600mls of water
2.30pm - bar and black coffee
Afternoon - sip 500ml bottle of sparkling water
4pm - slice of ham and thin slice of cheese
7.30pm - strawberry shake made with 600mls of water
9.30pm - mug of bouillon
11pm - glass of water before bed

So day two is over. Am sitting here drinking a mug of Marigold vegetable bouillon which I haven't tried before and it's actually pretty nice. Just gives a satisfying savoury taste and it's nice to have another option for a hot drink rather than just black coffee which I don't like to drink this late. I think this is going to be a big help to me. Couldn't get the reduced salt one so only used just over half a teaspoon in a mug. Just beware, I wanted the reduced salt version as other people have mentioned that the regular is very salty but they only had the organic RS one. I was going to buy this but I checked the ingredients list and this contains loads more carbs than the regular one. I'm assuming the regular, non-organic RS version is also low in carbs. I think it's probably wise to stay away from the organic version.

Okay, to review the rest of the day. The morning was fine but had a wobble mid afternoon so had a slice of ham and a slice of cheese. Not ideal but it's no carbs and I know that once I hit ketosis these cravings will go. The important thing is to get into ketosis. I'm feeling a bit disheartened by the thought of this for five months but I know that once I get over the first few days and then the first couple of weeks things get so much easier so I'll do anything right now just to get into ketosis and not to fall off the wagon completely. Have read a few diaries of people who have reached goal or have been doing this for a few months to get some motivation and it's worked. Keep thinking about how I tried to get started with this at the end of November and it just never really got off the ground and that we are now five months down the line from then and it's gone really quickly. If I'd stuck with it then I'd probably be done by now, pretty much. I know I need to do this for five/six months to get to goal but I'll also start feeling a lot better about myself in about 9-10 weeks and once I get to that point I'll have more options. I might decide to go on to WS for example. Just got to stick to TS to shift this first three stone and then see how I want to continue on this weight loss journey.

Last edited:
8.00am - 200ml glass of water
8.30am - vanilla shake made with 600mls of water
10,00am - black coffee about 250mls
1.00pm - bar and black coffee 250mls
Afternoon - 500ml bottle of sparkling water and 3 x glasses of water approx 300mls each
6pm - black coffee approx 250mls
6.30pm - burger (only the meat, no carbs)
7.30pm - bouillon approx 250mls
Will have more water before bed

Okay, so how did I do today? Soooo much liquid today which is great as I always struggled getting enough liquid down myself - one of the reasons I started making my shakes with 600mls water. Because I was in an office today it was easy to keep a glass of water on the desk and keep sipping and topping it up. I really didn't have any problems all day although I was feeling hungry by the time I left the office at 5pm. I was thinking I would just get to after school club, get James, get home and get my shake down me and relax. Got home and my neighbour was outside and asked me to join her for a glass of wine. I refused but said I'd have a black coffee. While she was putting the kettle on I popped inside to put some potato croquettes and a couple of burgers into the oven for James' dinner. But there were three burgers in the pack so I thought, 'I'll just cook them all and I can put the 3rd one in the freezer for another time.' So, went next door for 30 mins, had my coffee and then came back to give James his dinner. Put it all out, gave it to him and suddenly couldn't resist the smell so I ate the third burger. Still not in control of my cravings not helped by the fact that I was starving at this point. Have decided not to have my third Exante product as I've had the calories in the burger. Have followed up with a mug of bouillon. Find this really comforting and love the savoury taste. Just need to get into ketosis - hopefully tomorrow - and things should get so much easier. I know I've cheated but they were good quality, fresh burgers with virtually no carbs so I won't have done any serious damage, just probably had a few more calories than is ideal. Aiming for a 100% day tomorrow. :cross:

Last edited:
Had a relatively early night last night for me - in bed by 11.30pm. Despite this woke up feeling very tired and just couldn't get out of bed. Fortunately I work from home most of the time so I could stay in bed for a bit longer until I absolutely had to get up to make sure I got James to school on time. So just dragged on some trackie bottoms and a T-shirt for the school run, no shower, make-up or hair done. Not me at all. Home now and realising why I feel so tired. Can feel the TOTM pains starting. The thing is TOTM for me is TOT whenever it decides to turn up as I'm going through menopause so my periods are very erratic. Nothing to eat or drink yet today as feeling a bit sick. Lying on sofa watching Kojak. Will force a shake down soon.

Morning Cate. Hope ketosis will be there soon as its such a difficult stage to get through. I save the bullion for crisis situations cos as you say the savoury taste is comforting some how. Hope you manage 100% today & try to keep your fluid intake up as it does help :)

BTW Snap with going through the change, so inconvenient eh. Mine will appear at the airport on way to a holiday. This has happened over the last 2 years so most annoying. Rest of the year nothing :rolleyes:. x

Day Four

10.30am - shake made with 600mls water
1.00pm - mug of bouillon with 350mls water
2.30pm - double choc bar and 250mls water
4.30pm - black coffee about 350mls
7.00pm - shake made with 600mls water
9.30pm - bouillon made with 350mls water

So, have been 100%. Yay! I knew I'd get there. Felt rough today but I think that's mainly due to my period arriving out of nowhere; menopause is a joy! Spent most of the day lying on the sofa watching rubbish TV. A wonderful discovery today. The double chocolate bars are AMAZING. I am ecstatic to have found something on this diet that tastes sooooo good. Don't get me wrong, I think the shakes are really nice and the flapjack bars are fine too but this is in another league. Tastes like it should be really sinful. I'm sure ketosis has arrived as tonight, even though I hadn't drunk as much liquid during the day, I wasn't ready to eat my own arm by 5pm. Made it to 7pm no problem and no temptations to eat real food. Tonight is an easy night for me as my mum gets my son from school on Tuesdays and Thursdays and feeds him so I don't have to cook. If I feel any temptations later I still have a bouillon in reserve so we'll see. Pleased to have got through the first few days relatively painlessly and I know it all gets easier from here, physically at any rate. Just the old psychological issues around eating and food to deal with. As they say, from now on, it's pretty much all in the mind. I've been looking at my entries from November and learning from the mistakes I made then. And I've been thinking about time spans. We went to Centreparcs in February this year for half-term, arrived on the 24th Feb which was exactly 9.5 weeks ago. It feels like hardly any time at all. I know I have to stick with TFR for around 12 weeks to shift around 3-4 stone and I will be feeling so much better about myself by then. It's such a short time. Looking forward it seems daunting but when you look back you see how quickly time goes. I must keep thinking about how this isn't forever and the time will start to fly. I know from when I did LT in 2011. Anyway, feeling very relaxed, calm and in control tonight and thinking about getting back into all my smaller clothes in time for summer and really believing I'll do it. A good day. :clap:

Lesson: I am going to start carrying a tub of bouillon in my handbag. Sometimes if I'm out, I just don't feel like black coffee or water. I could just ask for a mug of hot water and add my bouillon powder to it. I am finding this stuff so helpful. It reminds me of chicken noodle soup only without the noodles.

UPDATE: I did have the second mug of bouillon. Am finding this a lifesaver.

Last edited:
Sitting on the sofa with James who is tucking into an Easter egg. He just came in and asked me if I wanted an Easter egg fest while we watch two hours of our guilty pleasure - Keeping up with Kardashians. I'm honestly not even tempted.

That time will fly by Cate. Good on you for not tasting the Easter egg x

Hi Cate just subscribing - excellent that you avoided the chocolate, well done :)

Stick with it and you'll soon reach your goal - good idea to carry the bouillon around with you x

So start of day five, the sun is shining and I'm feeling great. Just had my first shake. Have been having a bit of diarrhoea but I often get this during my TOTM so I am feeling very 'cleaned out' if you get my drift. Here's to a good day for us all.

Hey Cate, just starting to read your diary. I can so relate to a lot of what you are saying. I am going to go back to the start and read it all I just wanted to say hi and that I hope you have a great day!

Hope the day went well Cate x

Hope the day went well Cate x

Thanks Susie, not bad. Here are the details:

Day Five

8.00am - glass of water 300mls
9.00am - shake made with 600mls water
11.00am - black coffee 300mls
1pm - bouillon 300mls
2.30pm - bar
4pm - water 250 mls
6pm - shake 600 mls
7pm - 2 x slices of ham (86 cals and 1.5g carbs)
11.30pm - 2 x kebab things on sticks (275 cals, 2g carbs)

So, today I've been feeling fine except started feeling hungry in the afternoon. Wanted to eat from about 5pm but didn't want to have my shake that early. Was holding out but was having the urge to eat so in the end thought I'd better have my shake. I did but was still hungry. Held off to see if it would go but it didn't so had the two slices of ham. Feel fine now. Again, bouillon in reserve if needs be but will aim not to as have had carbs in the ham and there are carbs in the bouillon which is why we're only allowed 2tsps a day. Think I should be able to last tonight. Am going to start exercising tomorrow. Only two more days tuntil I weigh in. Just want to see what's happening on the scales. Jeans not feeling any looser yet so not sure how things are going. Needing to see a loss. Wish TOTM hadn't turned up this week. Hope everyone's had a good day.

UPDATE - Aaaarrrgggghhhh, should have gone to bed!!!! Got the late night 'Good job I don't have a baby or I might be tempted to eat it' munchies! Had to make do with a couple of sweet chilli beef kebabs on skewers. Still not in control but am managing to cheat on low carb stuff.

Last edited:
Just got back from Lidl's. Walking down the bread isle nearly killed me. Had to get a baguette for James for his lunch. He's eating it now as I type this. I soooooo want some but am consoling myself with a banana shake, my first of the day. Going out shortly for the afternoon with a friend and her two boys. May take a walk on Caerphilly Mountain. It's a gorgeous day here today.

Hi Cate. Wow, you're doing well so far! Hopefully I can emulate you! I've been off track for a couple of weeks and on and off for a lot longer. Hoping to make a fresh start from today so will check in with you daily!

In one way it's a good thing that you've had totm as that should show a loss plus it's now over with for a few weeks.

You really are doing well and hopefully the hunger will soon pass xx

Hi Cate! I've just read through all your entries and I can relate to a lot of the stuff in there! It is really mind over matter trying to realise that it's only X amount of time and then you can have real food again (in a sensible way of course!) I was like you tried to start before Christmas which was a bad idea! So now all my big events are out of the way and after Wednesday, I will be done with uni til September. I've tried to plan out working towards small goals, for example my wedding is in 5 weeks and I am just going for as much loss as possible! :) I'm glad to hear bouillon has been working for you as I'm planning to get some to help with the cravings! Good luck and I look forward to reading your entries :)

The smell of newly baked bread is almost as hard to resist as cooked bacon don't you think.

Have a lovely walk Cate, You probably have some nice scenic areas where you live xx

Back