Time to change but need help!

Does this sound right? Walked for an hour and thirty mins, 7.5km covered (some up and down hill) and Map My Walk reakons I've burnt over 600 cals...

Mine is less than that:

image-1025861074.jpg

I think the reason is most apps include your BMR along with the calories actually burnt and don't always take into account your weight and sex.

Mine doesn't include my BMR and works it out based on my weight and sex. But honestly it's very hard to really know. I go with mine as it's more conservative.

But regardless, well done on the 7.5k walk :)

I try to not eat back calories burned as I think the only way you'd get it truly accurate is with a heart rate monitor and all your stats....I just take my excersise as a bonus :)

I try to not eat back calories burned as I think the only way you'd get it truly accurate is with a heart rate monitor and all your stats....I just take my excersise as a bonus :)

Me too, then I have a buffer if I'm accidentally naughty :)

Yep exactly my thoughts too. Not going to eat them back!! Feeling a bit bloated today though strangely and trousers are tight. Odd but I can't think of anything unusual or different that I've done apart from drink more water over the last couple of days.

Ate;
Toasted bagel (230 cals)
Ham sandwich (254 cals)
4 cups of tea (40 cals)
Tandoori chicken (dry grilled in marinade) and plain side salad (can't be more than 500 cals as was quite a small piece!!)
Total - 1024 cals

Really proud no snacks or choc.

Walked 2-3 km (won't know exactly until I get home)

Bit narked about feeling fatter but I do feel more energised overall and am having a cracking time at work - just on fire and everything is going right. Walked past the guy in the corridor today and he smiled and tried to catch my eye but I avoided eye contact and kind of grinned cheekily. Yep, even after 2 weeks of not seeing him, he's still hot. Ugh wish I could shift this weight quicker and feel good about how I look!

Last edited:
Keep going with the water, when I first started drinking like a fish I felt so full and bloated from it but after a couple of days I got used to it and now I feel dehydrated if I don't have 3 litres. .... The only downside is that I am constantly needing the toilet! !!!

Yep you are right! I am up and down to the toilet like jackrabbit! Feeling less bloated though. Thanks for posting Becky - it's really nice knowing you guys are reading - keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Good day food wise:
Toasted bagel 230 cals
Ham sandwich 290 cals
4 cups of tea 40 cals
Venison steak (small) 150 cals
3 slices of toast beef - 120 cals
Must eat more veg and fruit tomorrow!

Walked 2 km as well

Feeling good. Bought a new pair of scales for my work apartment and was a bit disheartened that they seem to be calibrated differently from the ones at home (ie I was suddenly heavier) but it's the amount I lose and the fit of the clothes which is important!

I ate 400 of my 1400 exercise calories back today. Was just hungry all bloody day!!

Hey blue, just posting to say hi! You're doing great, can't wait to read how you're getting on and also how the love interest unfolds!!x

Aww thanks guys - what a lovely surprise to come on and see posts! I was just thinking how boring my diary must be!!

I do like this forum - you really do feel that people understand what you are going through or "get where you are coming from"!! Losing weight or attempting to brings up really quite conflicting feelings especially if food had been of comfort on bad days or celebratory on good days.. Plus there's the lows and highs of feeling great one minute then not so great a bit later when you realise you have lost weight but still look rubbish!!!!

So today was a great day. The new energy and confidence at work is really starting to pay off - some senior people have agreed to meet with me in the coming week to discuss a new business initiative I'm leading so i'm chuffed (so much of being successful in my work is having confidence and credibility so if I feel rubbish about me then who else is going to value me?!).

Blondcat - I'm too amazed you managed to do 1400 cals of exercise. Eating 400 cals of it seems practically insignificant!

So my good day:
Food
Toasted bagel 230 cals
Ham sandwich 290 cals
2 polos 40 cals?
4 cups of tea 40 cals
250g venison steak dry fried 265 cals
Cauliflower cheese 320 cals
Total - 1185

Burstingattheseams - this is just for you - how ineptly I am handling love interest LoL!

Guy has taken to walking past my desk to the toilet 3-4 times a day - like cutting through so walking directly behind my chair or round the front of me (he must have the bladder of a small child). I have tried to look intelligent but glamorously busy but gave up the last time and called out his name to make him stop (on his way back from the toilet just incase his childlike bladder might burst if I stopped him on the way there...). He came over to talk to me with a smile (he is notorious for not doing any small talk) and I was the most tongue tied I think I've been since teenage years. I could barely look him in the eye!! I'm usually a right flirt. He was grinning and leaning over the cupboards by my desk. I garbled something about wanting to have a meeting with him to discuss a business idea and would it be ok...and he was all "sure...absolutely..any time stick it in my diary" and then all the thoughts I'd had of saying did you have a nice Christmas etc...flew completely out of my head and I'm sure I was blushing madly so as I didn't say anything he said "...ok then"and walked off! DOH!! I'm such a dufuss.

I have to get him out of the office again - at least I feel like his equal socially and intellectually in the pub (he is distinctly more senior than me in work and...I'm not exactly junior!).

Anyhowz all fun and games - and certainly good motivation for shifting the weight off! Hope you all had good days too!

Hey Claire - welcome and thanks for popping in! Like I said it's hugely motivating to know that people are reading and encouraging me!

Well another good day food wise / I'm amazed and bit quite sure where all this will power has come from! I guess it helps staying in my work apartment during the week and just not having that much food in the house!

Food today:
Toasted bagel 230 cals
Small bowl of lentil broth with small brown bread roll (and I didn't even finish it..) guessing 250 cals at the very most
3 polos 60 cals
3 cups of tea - 30 cals
Small skinny latte - 70 cals
Sandwich - 298 cals
M&s count on us crisps - 89 cals

Total - 1030 cals

Also walked 2km and drank lots of water.

Hopefully the scales back at home will show a change tomorrow morning! I'm definitely feeling better and more energetic.

Dress down day today so guy was very smiley and flirty and casual. Hanging round my desk asking questions and distracting me. Sigh. Meeting went well with him but all business and I bottled out of starting a more general chat as he was off out to meet friends for beers. I'm thinking of sitting over the other side of the office block for a few weeks and back off a bit. Let him notice the absence of me...whilst I lose some weight!

Hope you all had good days and wish me luck for the scales tomorrow am!

Office flirting is such fun!

Just wanted to pop in and say...I just jumped on the treadmill (first run for 2years since I broke a bone in my foot and put on 4 stone...) and was determined not to stop. I ran 5km! Much slower than I used to do but I did it...without stopping! And really really importantly, NO foot pain :D I am so happy.

Right. Another 5km tomorrow.

Oh and down to 235lbs this morning! WOOT!

Last edited:
Office flirting is such fun!

Just wanted to pop in and say...I just jumped on the treadmill (first run for 2years since I broke a bone in my foot and put on 4 stone...) and was determined not to stop. I ran 5km! Much slower than I used to do but I did it...without stopping! And really really importantly, NO foot pain :D I am so happy.

Right. Another 5km tomorrow.

Oh and down to 235lbs this morning! WOOT!

Well done, I'm still building up on the treadmill, doing 30 minutes I'm up to about 4k, just make sure you don't over do it x

well done on another weight drop too... You're doing fab x

Thanks guys.

Becky - when I lost weight before I did the couch to 5k program then worked up to doing 1-1.5 hour 7-10k runs 2-3 times a week. I had never felt better and loved it (I got down to a size 14 and 180lbs). So I was really interested to see what I coudl do after a 2 year gap and my body seemed to just remember how to keep going. I didn't get a stitch or gasp for air (would have stopped if I felt bad or faint) - just kept on plodding.

I've always been fitter for my size than I should be (at whatever size I was) but running 5k at size 20 is bizarre.

Wow blue that's amazing. I can't run the length of myself! You've obviously retained quite a good level of fitness since you stopped running x

Thanks guys. Becky - when I lost weight before I did the couch to 5k program then worked up to doing 1-1.5 hour 7-10k runs 2-3 times a week. I had never felt better and loved it (I got down to a size 14 and 180lbs). So I was really interested to see what I coudl do after a 2 year gap and my body seemed to just remember how to keep going. I didn't get a stitch or gasp for air (would have stopped if I felt bad or faint) - just kept on plodding. I've always been fitter for my size than I should be (at whatever size I was) but running 5k at size 20 is bizarre.

It's not bizarre it's bloody awesome!!!!

I find it hard running at a size 8-10! Haha xx

It's not bizarre it's bloody awesome!!!!

I find it hard running at a size 8-10! Haha xx

heheh thanks :) nice to know I'm doing something awesome...as opposed to just being blobby and not fitting into clothes!

In all honesty, the first 10 mins of any run are a nightmare - it's always pain due to the fact that your quad muscles aren't getting the maximum blood supply that they need. After that, your body just seems to settle into a rhythm and do its thing and you find you can keep going for ages - the only difference as to how fit / how thin you are is how fast you go. So I tend to plod through the first 10 mins (usually whilst watching Sex in the City for distraction) break through the pain barrier, then see how long I can plod on for. At least that's what I did when I was losing weight last time although I didn't start running until I was about 210lbs from memory - I'd never been a runny person before then. I'd been sporty, but always wimped out of the run round the field kind of warm up!

I also slept really well last night so I think the issue behind my insomnia has been the new found energy I've had and no outlet for it. So the plan is to start doing some running when I'm away for work despite not having a treadmill (eek...back on the streets! Unfortunately when away for work I live in an area where all the skinny minis live with their trendy gyms and personal trainers!).

So food yesterday was a mixture:
5 slices of meat for breakfast (I know weird but its the only thing I could grab quickly from the fridge that wasn't madly bad) - 310 cals
Hamburger happy meal with sprite zero (250 cals for the burger plus 230 for the fries) - again, took my daughter to McDs and this was the smallest temptation I could see!
Weightwatchers chicken hotpot meal - 226 cals
3 cups of tea - 30 cals
NO snacks or sweets at the cinema!! woot - zero cals!
2 fruit shortcake biscuits back at home (to make it sort of feel like a weekend!!) - 75 cals

Total for the day - 1221
Not bad considering I'd say it was a treat day!

and of course the 300 plus calories burnt off from running 5km and whatever from walking round the shops for 2 hours.

Time to quickly look at goals:
236 by 5 jan (DONE)
232 by 19 jan (235lbs at 10th Jan so well on my way!)
228 by 2 feb

- getting new suits out of the attic (bought when I was a smaller size but never worn) -
getting closer - I can now get into my size 20 suits from Next that are slim fitting (but they are still a bit too tight to wear for a work day) and bought a pair of size 18 trousers from M&S yesterday in the sale - admittedly they are slightly stretchy but they look good as opposed to skin tight and mad. WOOHOO.

All these things sound like little insignificant things but they are keeping me going and adding to the momentum of what I'm doing - I feel like a stone rolling down a hill and gathering more and more speed.

Back