Carrot Cake

Carrot Cake

400g whole wheat flour
3eggs
cup olive oil
2 grated carrots
2grated apples
handful of raisins
about 15 sweetener tablets dissolved in a pan of...
200ml warm milk
some baking powder

mix everything together, these measurements are estimated so add more milk and oil if too thick or more flour if too thin

bake in a tin lined with grease proof paper at about gas mark 6 for 30mins or until done

The whole meal flour is a lot coarser than normal flour so it didnt rise too much but its still nice and sticky, due to the olive oil.

I dont have any non fat cream cheese but I assumed some of that and sweetener powder would make a nice topping.​

Oat Bran Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup

For one person:

1 1/2 tablespoons of oat bran
1 1/2 tablespoon of 0% fat yoghurt (or I use low fat natural yoghurt)
1 egg

Beat all together and fry pancakes.

The syrup I made from a tablespoon of golden syrup and a tablespoon of blue berries - not exactly GI friendly I know but nice as a treat every once in a while.

For one person:

1 1/2 tablespoons of oat bran
1 1/2 tablespoon of 0% fat yoghurt (or I use low fat natural yoghurt)
1 egg

Beat all together and fry pancakes.

The syrup I made from a tablespoon of golden syrup and a tablespoon of blue berries - not exactly GI friendly I know but nice as a treat every once in a while.

Agave syrup would be better GI/GL wise, or Holland and barratt do a syrup that is low gi too. Pancakes look lovely!!

Hi IM, thanks for posting these recipes. They look lovely.
x

Wheat Free Scones (Oat Scones)
500g / 1/2kg Medium Porridge Oats
500ml Natural Yoghurt
2 Tablespns Olive Oil
2 Teaspoons Bread Soda
½ Teaspoon Salt

1. Mix porridge oats, salt, bread soda
2. Mix yoghurt and olive oil
3. Mix all ingredients together
4. Use round cutter to make socones or the mix makes 1lb loaf tin (the mixture will be quite wet so use oat bran to stop it sticking when you are trying to press it out and also on your baking sheet)
5. Cook for 15-20 mins at 180c (for scones)
40 mins at 180c (for loaf)
Poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc may be sprinkled on top before cooking.
The scones and bread both freeze well and are delicious toasted too!

You can also vary this and make several different types. I made the scones last night and split the mix in 2 – in one half I left it plain and in the other I grated a pear in to it. This made them lovely and moist.

Other ideas

Savoury
Sundried tomatoes and herbs
Garlic and chilli (you could use a garlic infused olive oil instead of the plain olive oil)

Sweet
Add a handful of raisins
Add some nuts
Grate an apple or pear into the mix

As you can see lots of different ways with this recipe that won’t play havoc with your blood sugar levels!

I just made the oat scone recipe. I made half the mixture as only me will eat it. I added the half apple and baked it in a small loaf tin.
Makes a nice scone type bread. It's not v sweet so could easily be eaten with sweet or savoury.
I reckon my loaf cuts into ten small slices. I had a slice with a cuppa and no craving for more. ( unlike, if I had a kit Kat, I'd have to have a second bar)
Off now to freeze a few slices.

Wow Molly, you were quick off the mark making them. I had a scone this morning with some peanut butter and jam (not too much of either) and it kept me full all morning. I had to force myself to have my mid morning snack....I agree with you in that they don't set off the cravings.

I made the scones last night - halved the recipe also and got 10 scones. I added a handful of chopped dried apricots I had in the cupboard also.
I bought some no sugar added jam the other day (called St Dalfour's I believe - a little goes a long way!) and I stole shakenomore's idea of a bit of peanut butter and jam on the scones for my breakfast this am. Really lovely and it's filled me up so far :)

Esellm, that's the same jam I used. The Pb and it together are lovely and it all feels a bit naughty but isn't really ;-). Hope they keep you full.

Baked Chicken Kiev

Baked Chicken Kiev – Taken from Glycemic Gourmet
(I haven't tried this but others might be interested)

It's great with a green tossed salad and low-fat dressing. *Note: leftover chicken is great sliced up and rolled into a whole-wheat tortilla wrap for lunch the next day, just add lettuce and tomato and a teaspoon of low-fat mayo or mustard.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons soft margarine (light, non-hydrogenated) or other low fat butter (connaught gold is apparently the best one in Ireland)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoons pepper
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4"
1 egg white
2 slices 100% whole-wheat bread (stone ground) I'm sure you could change this again to oats or quinoa etc....

Directions
Combine margarine, parsley, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Divide margarine mixture and shape into 6 sticks. Freeze until firm. Meanwhile, toast bread slices and crumble into bread crumbs. Set aside. When ready, roll margarine up in flattened chicken and secure with toothpicks. Dip in egg, then bread crumbs. Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes. Pour pan juices over chicken before serving.

Nigella's Moonblush Tomatoes

Moonblush (rather than sundried) Tomatoes

These are delicious in salad, or with pasta and chicken...
  • 500g (about 24) on-the-vine cherry or other baby tomatoes
  • 2 teaspoons Maldon salt or 1 teaspoon table salt (I reduce this slightly)
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar (I use Xylitol instead)
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 x 15ml tablespoons olive oil
Method

1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7.
  2. Cut the tomatoes in half and sit them cut side up in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, thyme and olive oil.
  3. Put them in the oven, and immediately turn it off. Leave the tomatoes in the oven overnight or for a day without opening the door.

Moroccan Style Chicken - Patrick Holford

I haven't tried this yet, but it is on my menu for next week!

This is a warming, mildly spiced casserole with melt-in-the-mouth braised butternut squash. However, the spices impart health benefits as well as flavour. The cinnamon, for example, helps your body regulate blood sugar levels, while the turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory. Serve with quinoa for a gluten-free alternative to couscous or low-GL or brown basmati rice, accompanied by steamed broccoli or tenderstem.
Serves 4
Ingredients
  • 1tbsp coconut oil or mild or medium (not extra virgin) olive oil
  • 2 red onions, sliced
  • 4 organic or free-range chicken breasts, skin and fat removed, cubed
  • 700g (1lb 11oz) butternut squash, unpeeled, seeds scraped out and
  • ubed
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1L (35fl oz) chicken stock
  • Fresh coriander and mint for sprinkling
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Method
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sweat the onion for 3-4 minutes, then add the chicken, squash and spices, and stir for another couple of minutes.
Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer for a further 10 minutes to allow the meat to cook fully (the juices should run clear) and the sauce to thicken. Sprinkle with coriander, mint and black pepper before serving

Savoury Mince and Lentils - Antony Worrall Thompson

This is really nice, here is the link: Antony Worrall Thompson - Recipe

Ingredients
400g very lean minced beef
1 onion, peeled & chopped
1 teaspoon English mustard powder
1?2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato purée
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
200g green lentils, rinsed
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives

1. Put the beef & onion in a large non-stick frying pan & cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently until they are well browned.

2. Add the mustard, pepper, sauce & tomato purée & stir well. Add the tomatoes with 1 tin water & bring to a simmer.

3. Stir in the lentils, then cover & simmer for 30 minutes until well cooked & reduced to a rich sauce. Add the chopped herbs just before serving.

Per portion: 217 kcal, 4g fat, 1.4g sat fat, 0.09g sodium, 22g carbohydrate

Serves: 6

I haven't tried this yet, but it is on my menu for next week!

This is a warming, mildly spiced casserole with melt-in-the-mouth braised butternut squash. However, the spices impart health benefits as well as flavour. The cinnamon, for example, helps your body regulate blood sugar levels, while the turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory. Serve with quinoa for a gluten-free alternative to couscous or low-GL or brown basmati rice, accompanied by steamed broccoli or tenderstem.
Serves 4
Ingredients
  • 1tbsp coconut oil or mild or medium (not extra virgin) olive oil
  • 2 red onions, sliced
  • 4 organic or free-range chicken breasts, skin and fat removed, cubed
  • 700g (1lb 11oz) butternut squash, unpeeled, seeds scraped out and
  • ubed
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1L (35fl oz) chicken stock
  • Fresh coriander and mint for sprinkling
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Method
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sweat the onion for 3-4 minutes, then add the chicken, squash and spices, and stir for another couple of minutes.
Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer for a further 10 minutes to allow the meat to cook fully (the juices should run clear) and the sauce to thicken. Sprinkle with coriander, mint and black pepper before serving

Can't wait to try this! I bought PH'S GI book a couple of weeks ago, but only tried the Chickpea Curry recipe so far - and it's so delicious I've had it three times in 2 weeks since buying the book!!! Will post the recipe at some point here :)

Folks do try the rhubarb pear muffins on page two of this thread. They are GORGEOUS!!!!! GL friendly and sooooo guilt free. They are very filling. One or two for brekkie will be very filling.

One pot chicken or prawn or quorn dish
Serves 3
3 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 inch fresh ginger chopped
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 stalks celery chopped
1 Onion chopped
Red pepper chopped
200 g broccoli roughly broken up or
(100g mange tout chopped and
100 g sugar snap peas chopped)
300 g chicken chopped finely or use prawns or quorn pieces.
1 low salt chicken stock cube
1/2 pint water
6 dessert spoons of cous cous or quinoa.
Put all these ingredients in a pot. Bring to the boil. And Simmer till veg is just tender. Add more water if cous cous is soaking up too much.
Then stir in juice of a lemon, 3 dessert spoons creme fraiche and 3 dessert spoons MAE ploy sweet chilli sauce.

You can vary the veg. Avoid root veg such as carrots and parsnips as these are very starchy.

Back