Useful GI/GL Recipes

I'm defo going to try the muffins once I get the ingredients in and the one pot dish sounds lurvely. So many recipes, such little time ;)

Turkey chilli

I made this tonight and it was yummy.

Pack of turkey mince ( I got mine in Aldi - 500g)
Tin of tomatoes
tin of mixed beans (again, Aldi!!) rinsed
1 onion diced
2 tspns tomato paste
2 cloves of garlic
2 veg stock cubes
chilli powder to taste
salt and pepper
tspn olive oil or coconut oil

Melt the oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic. Stir until soft, then add chilli powder (as much as you like, burn factor considered!!).
Add the turkey mince, and stir and around until the mince is browned.
Add the tomato paste and salt and pepper, and stir.
While the turkey is browning, put the tin of tomatoes in blender and blend into a smooth liquid.
Add the tomatoes, the stock cubes and half a pint of water.

Simmer for about 15 minutes, and add the beans. Simmer for another 5 minutes, check seasoning and adjust if needed.

I served with a big salad and a fat free tzatziki, but you can add some brown rice as well.

Delish!!!

My kind of dish. I love turkey. I'll do this over the weekend.

Butternut Squash and Sausage Casserole

I made this today, not tried it yet but it smells amazing and the portions are large. Will have it during the week.

Link: Antony Worrall Thompson - Recipe

Recipe:

Ingredients:

454g pack Reduced-fat sausages
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Onion, peeled & roughly chopped
2 Cloves garlic, peeled & roughly chopped
1 Red pepper, deseeded & roughly chopped
1 Red chilli, deseeded & finely diced
1 Teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 Teaspoon Paprika
1 Butternut squash – roughly 800g prepared weight – peeled, deseeded & cut in 4cm chunks
400g Tin chopped tomatoes
410g Tin butter beans in water, drained & rinsed
Freshly ground black pepper

1. Grill the sausages until brown on all sides. When cool enough to handle, cut in 3cm chunks & set aside.

2. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole, add the onion, garlic, pepper, chilli & thyme to the casserole & cook over a medium heat until the onion starts to soften. Add 1–2 tablespoons water as necessary to stop the ingredients sticking. Stir in the paprika & add the sausage chunks to the casserole.

3. Add the squash, tomatoes & 100ml water & bring to a simmer. Cover & simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the beans, cover & simmer for a further 15 minutes. Season to taste with pepper & serve with steamed green beans or cabbage wedges.

Per portion: 349 kcal, 7g fat, 0.5g sat fat, 0.71g sodium, 49g carbohydrate

Serves: 4

Cooking time: 45 mins

Author: AWT

Source: GL Meat & Poultry Recipes

From Glycemic Index
Split Pea Curry Soup.

Curry adds an interesting twist on traditional split pea soup. Of course if you don't enjoy curry, just omit.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups dry yellow split peas
4 oz lean deli ham, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme)
1 bay leaf
5 cups low-fat, low sodium chicken broth
1 cup skim milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
This soup can be prepared in a slow cooker or stove-top.

Rinse and drain peas. Chop vegetables and ham.

For slow-cooker method, combine peas, ham, onion, carrots, curry, thyme, bay leaf and chicken broth in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high setting for 4 to 5 hours or the low setting for 10 to 12 hours. Stir in 1 cup skim milk. Season with salt and pepper.

If using stove-top method, combine peas, ham, onion, carrots, curry, thyme, bay leaf and chicken broth in large crock pot. Bring to a boil, them reduce and simmer for approximately 2 hours. Stir in skim milk - but do not return to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 8

Balsamic-Marinated Chicken with Sautéed Mushrooms with a Lemon Broccoli Cauliflower side.

It's great served over whole-wheat pasta (cooked al dente) such as bows or penne - 1/2 cup cooked pasta per serving.

Ingredients
4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 - four ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ¼" thick
2 cups fresh mushrooms, halved
1/3 cup low-fat, low sodium chicken broth
Directions
In a plastic bag, mix 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (save two for later), mustard and garlic. Marinate for 2 hours.
In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil on medium heat to hot but not smoking. Add chicken and sauté until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to platter and cover to keep warm. Heat remaining oil in skillet; add mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. Add broth, and remaining vinegar. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are cooked and sauce has reduced by half. Serve chicken topped with mushrooms.

Lemon Broccoli and Cauliflower
A delicious complimentary dish for fish or poultry.
Ingredients
2 cups fresh broccoli
2 cups fresh cauliflower
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions
Cut broccoli and cauliflower into small bite-sized pieces. Steam until tender-crisp (approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Drain well. Lightly beat lemon juice, dijon mustard and oil. Toss well with vegetables and serve.

Baked Chicken Kiev!
It's great with a green tossed salad and low-fat dressing. *Note: leftover chicken is great sliced up and rolled into a whole-wheat tortilla wrap for lunch the next day, just add lettuce and tomato and a teaspoon of low-fat mayo or mustard.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons soft margarine (light, non-hydrogenated)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoons pepper
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4"
1 egg white
2 slices 100% whole-wheat bread (stone ground)

Directions
Combine margarine, parsley, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Divide margarine mixture and shape into 6 sticks. Freeze until firm. Meanwhile, toast bread slices and crumble into bread crumbs. Set aside. When ready, roll margarine up in flattened chicken and secure with toothpicks. Dip in egg, then bread crumbs. Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes. Pour pan juices over chicken before serving.

I'm definitely trying the lemon broccoli and cauliflower. It sounds filling. Mashed cauliflower is often a good substitute for traditional mash.

Molly, finaly found your diary!
Bit difficult looking on this site as do it on my phone. But did have a look at your pics, omg, you look amazing, the wright loss is unbeleivable!
You have done so well.
Wow!!!;)

Karen27 said:
Molly, finaly found your diary!
Bit difficult looking on this site as do it on my phone. But did have a look at your pics, omg, you look amazing, the wright loss is unbeleivable!
You have done so well.
Wow!!!;)

Oooops, put this in wrong place. Sorry. Was ment for your diary postings.

Falafel burgers

Ingredients
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove , chopped
handful of flat-leaf parsley or curly parsley
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp harissa paste or chilli powder
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp sunflower oil
4 toasted wholemeal pittas
200g tub tomato salsa, to serve
green salad, to serve
Method
Pat the chickpeas dry with kitchen paper. Tip into a food processor along with the onion, garlic, parsley, spices, flour and a little salt.
Blend until fairly smooth, then shape into four patties with your hands.
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the burgers, then quickly fry for 3 mins on each side until lightly golden.
Serve with toasted pittas, tomato salsa and a green salad.

Courgette and pepper frittata
A low fat summery recipe that is easy to make and can be enjoyed with a leafy green salad.
Preparation time: 3 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Number of servings: 4
Ingredients
4 sprays of cooking spray
6 spring onions
2 courgettes
1 red pepper
6 eggs
2 egg whites
2 tbsp of chopped parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions
1. Spray a non-stick frying pan with cooking spray and heat over a medium-high heat. Add the sliced spring onions, courgettes and peppers and sauté for around 6 minutes or until slightly softened.
2. Gently whisk the eggs and egg whites, add the parsley and season with black pepper. Pour into the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes.
3. Heat the grill. Top the frittata with grated Parmesan cheese and grill for around 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the frittata is cooked through.

Wheat Free Scones (Oat Scones)
500g / 1/2kg Medium Porridge Oats
500ml Natural Yoghurt
2 Tablespns Olive Oil
2 Teaspoons Bread Soda
½ Teaspoon Salt

1. Mix porridge oats, salt, bread soda
2. Mix yoghurt and olive oil
3. Mix all ingredients together
4. Use round cutter to make socones or the mix makes 1lb loaf tin (the mixture will be quite wet so use oat bran to stop it sticking when you are trying to press it out and also on your baking sheet)
5. Cook for 15-20 mins at 180c (for scones)
40 mins at 180c (for loaf)
Poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc may be sprinkled on top before cooking.
The scones and bread both freeze well and are delicious toasted too!

You can also vary this and make several different types. I made the scones last night and split the mix in 2 – in one half I left it plain and in the other I grated a pear in to it. This made them lovely and moist.

Other ideas

Savoury
Sundried tomatoes and herbs
Garlic and chilli (you could use a garlic infused olive oil instead of the plain olive oil)

Sweet
Add a handful of raisins
Add some nuts
Grate an apple or pear into the mix

As you can see lots of different ways with this recipe that won’t play havoc with your blood sugar levels!

Thank you so much for this recipe. I love wheaten bread and used to make my own when I lived in Ireland. Now living in Spain and can't get the flour so this was manna from heaven! OH loves this too. Bread was the thing I missed most on my GL journey.

Bicarbonate of soda is commonly called bread soda. Xxx

Spicy Mexican Chicken

Serves 4

Preheat oven to 200 C

Tip 1 tall jar of passata into a casserole dish (smaller and deeper dish is better than large and shallow).

Add couple tsp mexican seasoning +/- chilli powder (depending on how spicy you like it!), 2 tsp sweet paprika powder, 1 tsp mixed herbs and some ground black pepper. Mix into passata.

Chop one large onion and one red pepper into large chunks. Mix into passata mix along with a tin of drained kidney beans (or other beans of your choice)

Chop 2-3 chicken breasts into large chunks - add to casserole dish and mix in until completely covered. If you have one available, squeeze in some lemon/lime for a slightly zesty edge to the flavour, and it lowers the GI even more!

Cover with lid. Pop in oven and leave for 40-45 mins.

I usually serve with a basmati rice/barley combo and a green leaf salad. Yum!:)

Back