Weight Loss Exercising Ideas

I have a gym membership but I am actually too self conscious to use It :/ I don't like the idea of people staring at me which is ridiculous as I know people don't actually care what I'm doing in the gym lol. Also as a 23 year old I am so unfit and it is embarrassing to see people twice my age who are alot fitter than me. Good luck with the weigh in!

You shouldn't be worried or ashamed of anything Henri. The key thing is that you're willing to do something to make a change and ultimately people will respect you for that. In the past if I have ever thought like that and worried about how I look I think about how I am in the gym when I work out and I can safely say I've never looked at anyone in there regardless of size and fitness level and thought a negative thought. I just have total respect for them for doing something about it.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take that little leap of faith that it will end up fine. It's a shame you live all the way in Belfast because if you lived closed I'd invite you to come to the gym with me so I could help you feel a bit more at ease.

Just remember... everyone starts somewhere.

I would love that...think I need a gym buddy! The gym I go to is full of tall thin pretty girls in Lycra with make up on! Just makes me feel so out of place! I think I need to get the earphones in and just go for it but I can't bring myself to do it! You are all very motivational with your exercise

You know.... before I started going to the gym again I had all these same reservations that you currently have. But once I was there and doing it everything changed. After the first session all these pre-conceived misconceptions I had were just totally proven wrong.

We are all no different to you, you have the same drive and motivation inside of you that anyone else has. The difference is acting upon it and trusting that it's there. Why don't you go to the gym tonight? A nice spontaneous gym session is often all it takes.

Thank you for being so nice...I have booked into body combat tonight. Felt it wasn't as scary going to a class than the actual gym!

Perfect!! I hope that this time tomorrow you will be posting on here how it was and saying how much you enjoyed it! :D

It will also really help push your weight loss.

I hope so too...if not ill blame you lol. as i have totally let the diet slip and have been eating anything I want :/ and I'm hoping I actually enjoy it rather than feel I have to.

Also honeypop wanted to say u inspired me! If you can do hopefully I can :) x

I'm very intrigued by this, I have actually noticed a power plate in my gym which hardly anyone uses. I think it's one of those things that unless you know what you're doing you wont ever attempt to use it. I'd be very interested to hear more from you as to how you can use it to train? Sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

U should try it out. Put the timer to 300 seconds and the hz to 40.(the speed at which it vibrates)

Then basically do anything. Start by jogging to warm up then rotate any exercises u want, squat, burpees, v-sits,knee drives, push ups or even tabata until 300 secs in up then repeat 4-5 times (30 mins)

U pick the exercises that suit u. Keep ur knees soft and core strong. The vibrations make ur muscles contract 3 times as much so burns more fat from the inside out (So it starts with the fat around ur organs first basically) among other benefits. A lot of fitness trainers around Belfast have started bringing their clients to my gym to work out on these plates. They r amazing

Try youtubing some videos.

After reading this thread I was intrigued about Tabata, so I did some research & did my first session this morning on my static bike. Blimey, it certainly does what it says on the tin lol! I will be doing this from now on & incorporating it in with my cycling as hoping to do a 100 miles for charity in July, so Im hoping it will increase the fitness levels.....if I survive another session of it that is lol!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins

After reading this thread I was intrigued about Tabata, so I did some research & did my first session this morning on my static bike. Blimey, it certainly does what it says on the tin lol! I will be doing this from now on & incorporating it in with my cycling as hoping to do a 100 miles for charity in July, so Im hoping it will increase the fitness levels.....if I survive another session of it that is lol!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins

I'm glad you tried it! You were clearly doing it right if you felt how you did afterwards too! You will see your fitness fly upwards if you keep at it. I predict you'll be riding 100 miles in your sleep! ;)

I'm glad you tried it! You were clearly doing it right if you felt how you did afterwards too! You will see your fitness fly upwards if you keep at it. I predict you'll be riding 100 miles in your sleep! ;)

Haha, I doubt that as its very hilly here in Dorset & it will be a hard slog, but if Tabata works for me, Im hoping it wont be too painful!
I was wandering how many times to do it per week, as I've read varying times......what do you think?

Haha, I doubt that as its very hilly here in Dorset & it will be a hard slog, but if Tabata works for me, Im hoping it wont be too painful!
I was wandering how many times to do it per week, as I've read varying times......what do you think?

Well there is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding how often to do it, I personally do it 4 times a week and although it is tough it suits my lifestyle as I don't have to spend hours in the gym but I still get the same benefits.

I think you would be fine to do it 4/5 times a week as long as you're not getting any pain from it. Just make sure when you do it you always give it 100% which I have no doubts you already do.

Well there is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding how often to do it, I personally do it 4 times a week and although it is tough it suits my lifestyle as I don't have to spend hours in the gym but I still get the same benefits.

I think you would be fine to do it 4/5 times a week as long as you're not getting any pain from it. Just make sure when you do it you always give it 100% which I have no doubts you already do.

Thanks Chris, as thats what I thought as well about 4/5 times per week as you need to rest those muscles sometimes! I dont ache today which Im surprised about, but maybe Im fitter than I thought! If I didn't give it 100% yesterday (my first time), I would hate to think what I would have felt like if I did, as I was a gibbering heap lol! My resting HR is normally 54 - 58, when I warmed up on the bike it was 100 & when I finished Tabata it was 160! Luckily I recover quite quickly, but it was certainly a very good workout.
I used to do interval training when I was running with my DH who's been a runner all his life & he put me thru my paces & had a similar feeling to Tabata doing that, but not to that intensity, so was a bit of a shock how I felt afterwards lol!

Is 160 your usual maximum heart rate then? If it is then you must be fit because that seems very good!

I have found that doing Tabata hasn't really made me ache much but what it has done is decrease my recovery time which means I am out of breath for less. I have to say my favourite exercise to use tabata on at the moment is cycling because I just love being able to put my head down and peddle as hard as possible! Whilst I was in the army they used to always say the same thing to us, they'd say "If you feel like you're going to faint or pass out then you're doing it right so push yourself harder". The benefits are so great though!

Is 160 your usual maximum heart rate then? If it is then you must be fit because that seems very good!

I have found that doing Tabata hasn't really made me ache much but what it has done is decrease my recovery time which means I am out of breath for less. I have to say my favourite exercise to use tabata on at the moment is cycling because I just love being able to put my head down and peddle as hard as possible! Whilst I was in the army they used to always say the same thing to us, they'd say "If you feel like you're going to faint or pass out then you're doing it right so push yourself harder". The benefits are so great though!

Its the first time I've checked my HR in a while & I only checked it out of curiousity after starting the new exercise regime. I road cycle now so never feel the need to check it, as I tend to go for a steady pace at longish distances. I do notice the fitter I get, my recovery is quite good, but looking back thru my exercise years, Ive always been like that. I've either run or played squash, but both my DH & my knees have given up the ghost, so we both cycle now. Like you he's military (RM), so likes to be fit & every year comes up with some sort of endurance race, be it running or cycling! After each event he will say no more, but then another year comes & he's planning something else!

I'm glad this thread has been started... I am joining the gym next week at a local high school, it's perfect for me as its within walking distance and as the gym is used by the kids during the day all the classes are held after 6pm so they fit in with my working hours. I am concerned as I have heard people say that they have gained weight when doing exercise and I am so reliant on that number on the scales each week... have you all found that you have gained weight?
I am planning on going to the gym twice a week plus attending a spinning class.

I do kettle bells class and 2 Zumba classes a week, started them in October and the difference in my clothes sizes has been amazing. I only wish I'd took measurements when I started. I had a pair of black combat trousers which I wore when travelling to turkey last year (end of August) they were tight when I came back as I put 9.5lb on that holiday! I did my wardrobe out today and found them, tried them on and they fell straight back down hahaha just goes to show how many inches I've lost! Gone down 2 dress sizes

I'm glad this thread has been started... I am joining the gym next week at a local high school, it's perfect for me as its within walking distance and as the gym is used by the kids during the day all the classes are held after 6pm so they fit in with my working hours. I am concerned as I have heard people say that they have gained weight when doing exercise and I am so reliant on that number on the scales each week... have you all found that you have gained weight?
I am planning on going to the gym twice a week plus attending a spinning class.

Last year when I started cycling, I think I gained 1.5lbs the first week & then steadily lost about a pound a week til target. The key is to ignore the scales for the first couple of weeks, importantly measure yourself & even more important drink plenty of clear fluids.
Good luck

Back