Historical fiction?

parisienne

Hi everyone,
I'm currently working my way through Philippa Gregory's books set in the reign of Henry VIII - I've read the Other Boleyn Girl and am about halfway through the Boleyn Inheritance, and I've found I've got a bit of a taste for that sort of historical fiction - fictional-semi-fictional stories set during true historical times. I've also read Dissolution by Matthew Shardlake which was a bit more serious but was a great read, set as a murder-mystery in a monastery during Henry VIII's reign.
Has anyone else got an interest in this sort of fiction? Does anyone have any book suggestions? Nothing super serious or factual - more like fiction set in real historical circumstances!:)

I'd totally recommend the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. They're amazing. They have a bit of everything in them.

Have you tried the book Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue? This is another historical fiction book, it is set a bit later than the Philippa Gregory ones but I found it to be just as good.

Hi I too love the Phillipa Gregory books, have also read the Tracey Chevalier books, Girl with a pearl earring (couldn't put it down) the lady and the unicorn and remarkable creatures (which I stayed up all night to read haha!!!) they're all set at different times not all English obviously. I think she has some others, but I haven't read them yet... I might well check the library for them now as remembering the others which were fab has made me fancy reading her stuff again :)
I'm currently reading a book called the greatest lover, it's about a war poet's illegitimate daughter. I quite like the books written around the early wars too :)
One other historical-type I would recommend is the one about Jekyll and Hyde's housekeeper but I can remember the name of it or who wrote it... I'll try and google it and see what I can turn up.
Enjoy the Tracy Chevalier ones if you ever get them x

Have you tried anything by Barbara Erskine? They are usually set in two time periods, one being modern day and the other at some point in history as I have really enjoyed these in the past too.

I have a Tracey Chevalier book sat on my 'to read' pile, after seeing the recommendations above it has now moved to the top of the pile:)

Norah Lofts - The Town House trilogy? Covers about 700 years from the time of the black death up to mid 20th century. Each book is divided into several parts which are told by the main character of that time, and their life story is also linked in with subsequent sections. Very readable with great characterisation - some you love, some you hate - and full of interesting historical/social detail and the impact on 'ordinary' people's lives. The trilogy begins with the story of a serf who makes a bid for freedom, and ends with the restoration of the house with a lovely purpose in mind.
The Town House.
The House at Old Vine.
The House at Sunset.

Keep reading the Shardlake series, they are all great! Have you read Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" - they are both really good reads and nice big books to boot - I do like value for my money, the more pages the better :D

These all sound great!! Definitely will be going back to Shardlake as that was a fabulous book, and I've heard a lot of good things said about Pillars of the Earth too. The list of books 'to-read' is getting so long!

If you love anything about the Tudors then I would recommend anything by Jean Plaidy Or Alison Weir (she also writes non-fiction too and her book about Anne Boleyn is brilliant)

I am OBSESSED by the Tudor period and read a lot of non-fiction stuff and do a lot of research around it all as well so would definitely recommend the above! (all started with The Other Boleyn Girl)

Almost finished The Testament of Mary by Colm Tobin. One of our bookclub books. Very easy read. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would - I was dreading but it is really just Mary's account of her son growing up leading to him being crucified (yes THAT Mary). I am not at all religious but the character of Mary is fascinating -her mixed feelings about how her son lead his life etc. It is quite a small book so won't take long to finish!!

Karen Maitland writes stories set in the Medieval period with multiple narrators. They're really good!

Back