My Shopping List. How can i spend so much?

We ALWAYS do shop around every week, usually at "chuck out" time, so definitely do save money that way - BUT, being retired, we do have that precious commodity, TIME! Also, we both really enjoy shopping, I'm very lucky there, and have our regular 'round' each week!

One thread that I find invaluable is the Sticky "Where the bargains are at..." by Nanny Jax. I regularly check this, but find I need to write down the bargains and the store where they can be found BEFORE going out, as I forget to look for them otherwise - not all the Supermarkets flag them up very well!

I'd advise checking this thread before shopping to anyone trying to save a bit on their weekly bills. And PLEASE take the time to post on there yourself if you spot anything worthwhile - I'm just off to check if Ribena no added sugar (formerly Ribena Light) is reported at half price in Sainsbury's at present!

Last edited:
Try the 'downshift challenge' from Martin Lewis Supermarket Shopping: Downshift & more, halve weekly bills...

Also I know you shop weekly as do I but i do it with two weeks in mind, planned leftovers, bulk buying etc.
if I buy mince for example I make it fit two family meals,(I'm so mean) by making a Bolognese I grate carrots into it (sweetens as well as bulks it a bit) I then add value tinned tomatoes (whizzed with a stick blender), mind you the passata you buy isn't too pricey at 40p a carton. I take a third of this out for the second meal, chuck loads of veg in, add marmite, beef stock, and you have the mince for a cottage pie, just add mash!

Buy a slightly larger chicken than usual, roast it use the breast for a roast, one leg for chicken and Veg soup, and the other as a topping for a chicken and sweetcorn pizza (whoops forgot about the diet) or a curry.

If you use your freezer then you don't find yourself eating the same thing for days on end, it will also save you loads of time, as you cook the meals today and simply reheat one day next week!

Oh and I almost forgot...find your nearest Farm shop and buy your spuds by the sack, they are far cheaper (I pay £3.50 for 12.5kg) and last longer and incredibly taste better!

Oh and 700g of cheese each week is alot??? I only buy cheese when it's on special, then grate one block (you tend to use less grated) using the food processor.

i do bulk buy, esp meats... and i tend to buy the extra big packs of extra lean mince, then split it.. so i have 4 bags of mince, but each bag could do us tea one night and my dinner the next day.. so i do think i do quite well there..

- please not i dont use 700g of cheese a week, it was on offer (the sort your not atcually saving anything) and its a two pack.. we use 350g a week, the usual size! lol

thanks for the ideas guys, im hoping that il see some improvment none the less!

I find i spend about 40pound a week on food for me and OH. Some weeks more if you see something nice lol and some weeks less when i seem to have loadssssss of food still left in the cupboard and freezer!

Think the people here have sound advice really - try out smartprice for the basics they really are fine when used in meals. I do almost all my shopping in asda too - don't think their fruit and veg is too great mostly but i do luv the kids garden gang fruit snack packs - little portions of melon and grapes and 3 bags for a pound :)

their own version of sugarfree ribena is nice too - i am usually not a fan of blackcurrant squash don't think it tastes like ribena but this stuff is nice and a pound a bottle so much cheaper than ribena!

i do not eat a lot of meat though so stock up on rice, couscous, pasta, noodles, potatoes etc which are all very cheap! i defo recommend the smartprice small potatoes they are 50p a bag and so easy for making potato wedges with much less cutting required than big spuds!! i cut them all up parboil them and divide the leftover ones into sandwich bags you get about 3 or 4 portions of them for 50p and i think the cutting up and parboiling bit is a bit time consuming when you just want a few wedges with dinner, this means you just take them out the freezer spray with frylight and stick them in the oven while you make dinner :)

X

Back