A Typical Indians Indian Recipe Book

Hmmm cant say I know any rice and fruit dish?.. was it a sweet dish and was the rice yellow? It may have been something called Mithi Rice (Sweet Rice) Its like a pudding, but its just rice with saffron, sultanas, almonds, pistacios and its lovely!!

Ooh that sounds liek something I had up at the kids school on their Indian morning, but instead of rice it was a bit like shredded wheat strands, I'm not sure what it was as the Dad on duty didn;t know himself what his wife put in it lol it was goregous though esp having the sweetness with the curry and samosas on the same plate.....

Hi, lovin yer thread so far as I'm a massive curry fan!! I would be 4ever grateful for any madras, bhuna or dopiaza recipes if u ave any. I also look 4ward 2 yer Mam's chicken tikka recipe :drool:

Congrats on starting this recipe page, have you an authentic samosa recipe?
I make a SW version with filo pastry and oven fry them but others that I have had always taste different.
(follow the link below for my recipes)
Pete

Hi, I'm new to SW and I am delighted to find your wonderful thread here. :) I am a veggie and I love Indian veggie dishes. Do you have a syn-free dhal recipe?

Oo thanks for all the lovely comments everyone!

In terms of the rice and fruit dish, i'm not too sure but I will try and ask around, i'm pretty sure someone i know must know what it is! and if they do i'll steal their recipe!
I'll be posting a chicken curry recipe up this weekend! Ill also post up different varients to a chicken curry (i.e madras, bhuna etc.) all of these curries are pretty much the exact same, but with a few tweeks in ingredients!
Pete - I have seen your samosa's and they look lovely! We make them all the time at home, but we don't use filo pastry, and of course the biggest difference in a samosa is the fact their fried, so in order to get a syn free typical samosa will be very different in texture and taste because your not frying them! But i will give you a recipe for syn free samosa filling (ours is a little different!) and also indian pasties we make, which we sometimes use as a substitute for samosas!
Galli - I do indeed have many dhal dishes and there ALL syn free! :) will be posting them soon as I can - Moong Bean curry is my ultimate favorate!

I'll also be posting a recipe for some potato curry dishes, and spicy cumin chicken.

Ooooo me mouth is drooling thinking about it all ;) lol

Hi Peri, I've just subscribed and am loving the sound of what you have posted so far. I love to find new recipes and tweak them to what I've got in so I'm going to make your aubergine, potato and pea curry tonight but substitute the aubergine for turkey pieces, do you think it will work? Also I really want to make your chutney, I can imagine adding that to everything too. How much fresh tomato should I use? Thanks, Ruth x

I'm loving this thanks!!!! Going to keep an eye out for all the recipes :)

Adding turkey should be fine! If its raw turkey, be sure to let it cook enough!!

Thats the good thing about indian curries. Its all about the base, once you have that, you can add whatever you want to it! Thats what makes it so versitile, and as for the chutney, i would use 1 tomato chopped up, or you can use some tinned chopped tomato, but fresh tastes better. Again experiment. Add 1 tomato and taste and if you feel you want some more add another half!

Me and my mom never measure anything. We just go by our eyes and dash everything in. After so long you get an understanding of how much of which spices you prefer. Good thing is if you get it a tad wrong and add a bit too much of something, the most thatll happen is that itll either not be spicy enough, or itll b too spicy!

But for the chutney, when you buy a bunch of corriander from the store, use the whole bunch, cut off a bit of the bottom stem (about 1cm) dont throw the rest of the stem away, it gives it a lovely taste. And to that add the 1 tomato. This will probably give you a small tupperware tub full of chutney and this will last for about 2 weeks.

Just remember if you are storing it, give it a good stir before you use it again and store it in the fridge.

Let me know how you get on! And do post pics! I'd love to see how other peoples food turns out :)

I found this recipe and wondered if is syned at all. I was hoping to make them and cook them on my iron griddle with spraylite. I dont know what ajwain seeds are tho.

Chickpea flour pancakes

This is a delicious savory pancake recipe served with Indian meals as a bread alternative.

Ingredients

Preparation method

• Put the chickpea flour into a large mixing bowl. Slowly add 250ml/9fl oz water, mixing with a wooden spoon to make a smooth batter. Add the salt, cayenne pepper, ajwain seeds, onion, ginger, chillies, garlic and coriander. Stir and set aside for 15 minutes.
  • Smear a large, wide, non-stick frying-pan with 1 tsp of the oil and set over a lowish heat. When very hot, stir the batter and pour about 55ml/2fl oz on to the centre of the pan. Quickly tilt the pan in all directions as you would for a crêpe, spreading the batter to make an 18-19cm/7-7½in pancake.
  • Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until the pancake is reddish-brown at the bottom. Dribble another tsp of oil around the edges of the pancake. Turn the pancake over and cook, uncovered, for a further minute or until golden. Remove from the heat and keep covered between 2 plates. Repeat with the remaining batter. Always remember to stir the batter before you use it. (leftover batter may be covered, refrigerated and re-used).

I love recipes from this region. I took a cooking course from a teaching from there and love them plus I have all the spices already. Will need to get back to indian cooking as I love it.

Love Indian food! even better now i know i will be able to make it my self and still be able to enjoy it! My favourites r rogan josh & jalfrezi :)

Just wanted to show you all my yummy dinner. Based on your aubergine, potato & pea curry but I substituted the aubergine for turkey as hubby doesn't do 'meat free' dinners lol It was super tasty and the raita was really refreshing. Thanks MissP :) Ruth x

Attachments

• image-3237039713.jpg
    image-3237039713.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 271
Loving this so far.

When I was in South India (wow nearly 2 years ago!!) which I know is a long way from Gujarat, I had a warm rice & fruit dish, I've tried to replicate this at home, but it's not just the same. Do you have a receipe for something similar? it would be fab if you do:D
I have a rice & fruit (raisins) with nuts recipe that you might like to use

1serving - you can increase ingrediants for larger portions

3-4 strands of safron - soaked in 2 tbsp hotwater
Basmati rice - handful
Raisins 15gr (2 syns)
2 tsp Zest orange
2 peeled Almonds- cut into match sticks (1 syn)
2 unsalted pistachio nuts peeled - cur into match sticks

Cook rice - when cooked and water almost evaporated (becareful not to be mushy). Add other ingrediants and mix well. lower heat and put the lid on for 5 minutes. Serve with curries or cooked meat.

I try to make it sometie next week and post a picture.

Ohh subscribing, looking forward to your recipes :)

Back