A Typical Indians Indian Recipe Book

Subscribing!

Can someone tell me please if Gram Flour, traditional flour for indian cooking has any syns...

the packet says : 100gr. = 359 cals.. fat. fat 0.9g.... 100% pure chana dahl (yellow gram, chickpeas).

Can someone tell me please if Gram Flour, traditional flour for indian cooking has any syns...

the packet says : 100gr. = 359 cals.. fat. fat 0.9g.... 100% pure chana dahl (yellow gram, chickpeas).

Yes it has syn as chickpea is turned into flour. 100gr = 18 syns

Excellent Peri, thx x

Thanks for starting this thread your knowledge of the real Indian dishes will really help to keep me away from the take away please could we have a real korma and masala recipe and chutney in time tika masala is OH fav although I know this is an English twist to real Indian cooking but if I could have a recipe similar to take away I could keep him away from there and that would also save my figure! Chutney would also help
Thanks I know it's a big ask as it's very time consuming but have subscribed
Thanks again and congratulations on this great thread

Thanks love your way of cooking as all I know about spices I've had to learn myself as my mother was a very Welsh traditional cook ! No spices I was 15 before I even had pasta let alone curry and rice!! Yes I think I had a sheltered life Now I eat more pasta and rice and authentic recipes than trad!!

Subscribing - thanks very much

Syn Free Masoor Daal Curry

Ingredients

Masoor Daal (Red Lentils)
mercimek1.jpg
Water
Garlic and Ginger Paste
Blended Green Chillies
Tomato Paste
Salt
Cumin Seeds
Mustard Seeds
Dried Red Chillies
Fresh Corriander

Use 1 cup of lentils per person

1. Boil required amount of lentils (1.5 cups of water to every 1 cup of lentils)
2. You can tell when lentils are fully cooked as they will go soft. Pick some up in a spoon and squish it with your finger, if it squishes easily with no effort then its done.
3. Blend up the lentils until desired consistancy. Some people like it smoother than others. Once blended put back in the saucepan back on the heat
4. Add half a teaspoon of salt to every 2 cups of lentils (I don't like my lentils too salty - So add more if you wish)
5. Add a good squeeze of tomato puree into the mix
6. In a seperate saucepan, dry cook some dried red chillies, teaspoon of cumins and teaspoon of mustard seeds until you can smell them roasting slightly. This should only take around 4 minutes on a medium to high temp.
7. Pour the lentil mix into the roasted spices (WARNING: the pan will be hot and when you add the lentil mix, it will bubble a bit and may even spit so be really careful when you do this.)
8. Garnish with fresh corriander

This daal tastes delicious with basmati rice, but also on its own as a soup, or with ryvita and my personal fave with toast!

masoor-dal.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh! Thanks so much for the daal recipe, I shall definitely be trying this one out this week :D

Fantastic thread! I had a lovely yellow lentil and chicken curry before at a friends sister-in-laws house and unfortunately she did not have enough English to tell me the recipe. If you might have something similar in mind that would be great. It was quite dry without sauce if that helps I'm afraid I have no idea what its called :(

Back