Back for good!

Agree with joodle - we've all been there. And ironic that we often do it when we're close to target, as if we secretly want to sabotage our success.

I've had some bad food days this week, mainly because I didn't have time to get out the office at lunch, and just had biscuits or chocolate brownies or whatever someone had brought in as a treat. I feel ill afterwards, though, which was actually good because I knew that a proper healthy meal would have tasted much better, and I'll be less likely to do it again.

I'm sure binges are 99.9% psychological and not hunger related, so I think it's about retraining your brain - knowing that I'll feel sick afterwards helps me avoid them - and staying more or less in the dukan zone means that it's physically more difficult to enjoy alcohol, fatty food, sugary carbs anyway! Chocolate is another story, though... :)

Thank you for your words of advice ladies. I think that there have been two "bad food days" since my last post, resulting in me with my head down the toilet (a mixture of feeling sick and trying to make myself sick because I feel so uncomfortable - this is a trait which I am a little bit worried about) but very much in the zone right now. I went to the Harrods Christmas parade this morning (yes I know it's only just November but I am a big kid!) and the Harrods food hall was the ultimate test of willpower... I stood outside with a boiled egg!!

I am 3lbs away from target now. Chuffed to bits but scared of letting myself go at the introduction of the new foods. Thinking of cruising up until christmas just to mitigate the damage! I just adore this time of year, most of all the food.. Nuts, chocolate, stodgy puds, ahhh!! *runs off to wash mouth out* sorry for swearing on the forum!

I don't really have any advice as I failed so miserably at staying at target weight the 1st attemot, even though I had lost 100lbs and felt amazing my food binging demons were still there. All I can suggest is not to get anxious and try to truly believe that you deserve to be the skinnier/healthier person you are. If we are mentally strong we can do it! x

3 pounds from target is great LP, you can do it! I kind of feel like with this diet, we kind of have to be like professional track athletes. (Bear with me here...)

When sprinting, they have to aim for a distance beyond the finish line as if they just aim at the finish, they start to slow down as they reach the end, when really they need to power through it.

That's kind of like dieting - as soon as we start thinking of getting to TW as the ultimate goal, we are high risk for slacking off immediately or soon afterwards and things start to slip. So psychologically, we need to realise that the battle is not won the day we reach TW, but will continue until such a point that the whole eating with control and not binging becomes second nature.

So hard but we can do it and every time we resist a binge we will get better at it.

Anyway, you're in the zone now which is a fabulous place to be, so enjoy it!

Jx

Thanks as ever, CD and Joodle! Gosh these boards are quiet at the money.. Mind you, I tend to come on here to read everyone else's posts more than I post myself! I suspect that the board will get a little busier come the 1st of Jan, kudos to those who are just starting the diet now, it's not easy in the run up to Christmas.

So I've hit target weight, and the scales actually showed 10st 5lbs the other day (*cue naked victory dance on the scales*)... however the number still bumps around a bit, even being super strict, so I would like to see the number on the scales a bit more consistently before making the move to conso. Also, annoyingly, a friend commented that losing another 1-2lbs would take me to 2st lost since I restarted in August - why oh why did she mention it?! So of course i'd like to reach 10st 4 now (never mind that I've actually lost 3st 2 since I started this long & winding journey almost 3 years ago!)

I think these are just excuses as I'm petrified of introducing the new foods (yet, on the other hand, salivating about all the christmas treats in store..) *sigh* Our minds work in mysterious ways...

On Christmas Eve I weighed in at a magical 9'13 - 4lbs shy of a 4 stone loss since starting my Dukan journey in 2011. Sadly I fear that I weigh in a little heftier now, after cramming anything that wasn't nailed down in to my mouth between then and the 1st January.

Started back last Thursday - goal is to get back to that number and stay there (will weigh in, in a couple of weeks when I will hopefully have mitigated some of the damage!)

Good luck to newbies and oldies, lovely to see the forum lively again x

Wow! You're very inspiring lorlypop!

Looking forward to reading your 2014 Dukan adventures.

Lovely to see you back on the board... :D

So I braved the scales.. And even after 10 days back on track, I was still apparently 9lbs up from Christmas Eve :-| goodness knows what they would have said on New Year's Day! That said, PMT might be a (tiny) factor, but 9 whole pounds, urgggg...

Has anyone in the UK seen the Claire Richard's slave to food programme on TV this last week or so? I can completely relate to her "plight", as I'm sure so many of us on these boards can! Major issues with food in my brain, which I really need to deal with... Doesn't feel like such an issue right now whilst resolve is strong, but when it starts to waiver...!! Hmmmm.

Head down, bum up, or whatever it is that Pol (I think?!) used to write!

Yo Lorly

Saw the Clare Richards programmes last year and so felt her pain!

Heads down, bum up is a registered Sid trademark!! ;)

P x

TOOT......................TOOT......................;)

I'm more a head up boobs out type of girl... (bending my head down tends to reveal far more bulges than I care to see!)

:D

Hi Lorlypop

Have a question for you.

I did a search last night on Dukan and Menstruation and noticed a post from you from 2011 - you said that there were a few months where your period was a week or so early and lighter than usual (http://www.minimins.com/dukan-diet/241036-dukan-diet-menstruation.html)

I've had that happen to me twice now - exactly 7 days early both times. I am not on any pill but do take metformin for my PCOS.

Has this changed for you? Or do you still have the occasional early TOTM?

Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks so much!

hi Bonkers - I do recall other ladies having irregular periods with this diet so I googled it and it seems to be something which happens with ALL low carb diets. I can't say it ever happened to me though, so it must depend on the person...

Hi Bonkers, sorry I missed your post - I'd completely forgotten about this, but my periods have definitely settled down now & returned to normal. Maybe it just takes time to adjust? My body is pretty familiar with the Dukan way now after 3 years on and off! :-/

Am still about half a stone heavier than before christmas, but a few lbs less than my original target weight so shouldn't complain - knowing that I was there before though, I just want to get back down - it is achievable (...hmm but is it maintainable?!) Like lots of you other ladies on here, I actually "feel" slimmer but the scales are still sticking a big finger up at me every time I step on, grr!!

The tube strikes in London today will hopefully be beneficial to my waistline as I will be walking 45 minutes from Waterloo to the office and back - every cloud... ;-) x

oooh Lorly I was reading about the tube strike yesterday and seeing pictures of platforms with hordes of people. I can never quite understand why people stand there mournfully when it's quite apparent that nothing is going to happen and, when if it did, you'd never get on the train if you're stood right at the back! Hope you didn't have too dreadful a journey as I saw a friend on FB who had troubles with her mainline train as well...
I wouldn't even know the way from Waterloo to the City on foot, despite having worked there 3 years!
:D

hi Bonkers - I do recall other ladies having irregular periods with this diet so I googled it and it seems to be something which happens with ALL low carb diets. I can't say it ever happened to me though, so it must depend on the person...

Hi Bonkers, sorry I missed your post - I'd completely forgotten about this, but my periods have definitely settled down now & returned to normal. Maybe it just takes time to adjust? My body is pretty familiar with the Dukan way now after 3 years on and off! :-/

Am still about half a stone heavier than before christmas, but a few lbs less than my original target weight so shouldn't complain - knowing that I was there before though, I just want to get back down - it is achievable (...hmm but is it maintainable?!) Like lots of you other ladies on here, I actually "feel" slimmer but the scales are still sticking a big finger up at me every time I step on, grr!! x

Thanks guys! (Sorry it took me so long to respond).

Just wanted to check with you to make sure there was nothing I needed to worry about ...

How is it going lorlypop?

Lovely to see some oldies and newbies on the forum, it has been so quiet lately :) I am guilty of lurking rather than posting, and lately I just haven't been able to get in the zone (on those days I feel too guilty to even open the minimins app!!)

I was very good after going mad at christmas, but for weeks afterwards I let those dreaded scales dictate my mood for the day (and despite my angelic Dukan food, they still defied me). I have been sticking to the exercise too, even though at times Jillian Michaels has pushed me to tears!!

Over the last few weeks I thought I's take a bit more of an Atkins-based approach (ie more fat.. Think cheese and mayo!) and fortunately / unfortunately the scales have been out of action. I don't need the scales to tell me that I still have a little way to get back to my pre-christmas weight though..! I have also had some special events which unavoidably involved "normal eating". I admit that I do get secretly miffed when I see people having a huge off-plan meal then bemoaning that they haven't lost that week or have put on weight, so over the last three years I have turned down so many invitations and nights out and sat there with a diet coke whilst my friends / other half munch on something delicious.. Or I order yet another steak or chicken with salad and stare jealously at their meals.. But I've already missed so much.. and life is just too short I think. So, once or twice I had what could be considered a gala meal in conso, then went straight back to it - I felt proud & in control - & importantly I didn't feel disgusting or disgusted with myself the next day.

More often, however.. I have eaten the equivalent of a christmas dinner sized meal.. And knowing that I am scheduled to be eating non-Dukan food, I have err.. Started the meal early, shall we say? Toast for lunch ("why not, I'm eating potatoes later?!"), chocolate, biscuits, cake... And sometimes coming home from a big meal & knowing that I won't be having any more for a while, repeating the process again (never mind how stuffed I am!!) On those days I do feel sick and ashamed.

I really do feel like I've forgotten how to eat and feed myself, which must sound ridiculous, but unless I am following cruise strictly, I just don't feel as though I have any grasp of hunger (once out of ketosis I am ALWAYS hungry or at least I think I am! And so I don't stop eating!) Perhaps after 3 years of on/off Dukan I just can't get my head around what it is to be hungry or eating something other than chicken and eggs.. And realising that food on the list is unlimited, Mini Eggs are not?

I'm quite scared about how much my fixation with food is controlling my life right now, and have mentioned this to the doctor, so hoping that she might be able to point me in the right direction for some help.

There is so much more I could write but I'm waffling now (mmm, waffles...) so I'll stop. I know exactly what I should be doing, I just don't seem to have the mental capability right now to do it.. :( Thank you for reading, if anyone's made it this far. x

Gosh Lorly I could have written your post a few months ago... I felt exactly like you do where hunger, portion size, normality is concerned... and I usually react in exactly the same way you have when a "normal" meal is coming up and I then blow caution to the wind for a few meals/days beforehand too.

Like you, I feel I have missed out on a lot over the years of dieting, making the same choices as you have most often (opting out, or sitting on the side lines with a diet coke), and like you I'm no longer going to do that. The key though is snapping straight back which isn't easy for people like us. But I have done it before. You have too. It's something we need to work on. Something to strive for. I swore not to return to Dukan, yet here I am feeling invincible again. I know that this diet helps me feel this way and I often say that, for me, it's not like "real life" as it's too easy... and it means avoiding too many obstacles.

I have a "day off" Sat 23rd March planned. Sun 24th's food is already planned too... my mind is looking forward to that Sat 23rd already, and it's nice to have that carrot up ahead but I'm determined "this time" not to let my mind lead me astray beforehand. I'll be with people so the chances of my hiding out somewhere stuffing myself are slim (and I'll probably find myself rueing that fact that day!!). I hope that by stepping straight back onto the plan on Sunday (with a long walk and plenty of fresh fish from the market to look forward to) will help strengthen my "resistance muscle" and it'll be something I dare do again.

If I'm honest, I've never ever eaten "normally" (whatever that might be). I stuff or I diet. I've pretty much even given up on even attempting "normal" now, after last year's failure, and so will probably always adapt some form of diet to my holidays/weekend schedule!

Thanks for sharing

Back