Birth Annoucements and Stories

i was 3weeks early too so my cervix just wasn't ready, she said when you are due or over due your cervix thins out so its not as bad hopefully for any of you lady's that have to be induced.x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

i was 3weeks early too so my cervix just wasn't ready, she said when you are due or over due your cervix thins out so its not as bad hopefully for any of you lady's that have to be induced.x Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I'm having a sweep next week at 38 then they're booking me in for 39 so hopefully my cervix might be a bit more ready by then x

think she was trying to open my cervix while she sweeped, hope you get on ok with it, good luck.xx

Ah fingers crossed hun. I ways tell my ladies you get no prizes for being brave, at the end of the day use what you need to, in order to see you thru!
I'm a midwife and had pethidine and an epidural and I can honestly say it was the best thing ever! I had been in
Labour for 4 days (cheeky monkey was back to back and huge so reluctant to turn) and they put me on the drip as my contractions were rubbish, and I kid you not I slept all day. Poor hubby. He had to make conversation with the midwives while I slept! It meant tho that when the pushing stage came ( and all that came after! :) haha) I was fairly awake and capable(ish) otherwise am sure would have had a cs. So don't rule anything out is my advice.
In
My exp those with a birth plan as long as your arm often end up in theatre.... Flexibility is the key! Xxx

Oh my goodness I haven't been on for a while and look what I've missed. Congratulations Saz and Missy, your boys are gorgeous. Gorgeous names (my 3 year old is called Freddie). Love love love a birth story. Congratulations x

Ah fingers crossed hun. I ways tell my ladies you get no prizes for being brave, at the end of the day use what you need to, in order to see you thru! I'm a midwife and had pethidine and an epidural and I can honestly say it was the best thing ever! I had been in Labour for 4 days (cheeky monkey was back to back and huge so reluctant to turn) and they put me on the drip as my contractions were rubbish, and I kid you not I slept all day. Poor hubby. He had to make conversation with the midwives while I slept! It meant tho that when the pushing stage came ( and all that came after! :) haha) I was fairly awake and capable(ish) otherwise am sure would have had a cs. So don't rule anything out is my advice. In My exp those with a birth plan as long as your arm often end up in theatre.... Flexibility is the key! Xxx

I've not done a birth plan for that very reason. Especially now with the diabetes I just don't know what to expect. The only things I really want are skin to skin and Tom to cut the cord if possible. But as long as baby is ok I'll take every second as it comes. I honestly think I'll end up with an epidural. I don't object to pain relief if I need it. But I won't have it for the sake of it xx

Great to read the birth stories and see pics of the little ones. Can't wait to meet my little girl (around 8 weeks to go) was pretty anti an epidural in the beginning, for no real reason... but funnily enough the closer labour gets the more appealing it sounds ;)

I've had a mixed experience with epidurals - to cut a long story short for now my first one didn't work properly and only numbed half of me. So I was numb on the left, partially numb in my right leg and in bloody agony from right hip up. I had no idea this could even happen with an epidural so if you have one and suspect that you may not be fully numb make sure you tell someone straight away! I didn't and it took hours to get the anaesthetist back to me for a do-over. Fortunately the second one worked beautifully, so well that I fell asleep lol ;)

I'll wrote my story up after Wednesday when I have a hospital appointment! :-/ I have a few questions to ask them myself.
I know actual birth ended 9 weeks ago,..but for the benefit of people looking for advice etc I will give a shortened version of 'the whole story' lol. I'm thinking about selling the film writes... Lol but who would play me?! Lol x

I'll wrote my story up after Wednesday when I have a hospital appointment! :-/ I have a few questions to ask them myself.
I know actual birth ended 9 weeks ago,..but for the benefit of people looking for advice etc I will give a shortened version of 'the whole story' lol. I'm thinking about selling the film writes... Lol but who would play me?! Lol x

not me cai, because dear lord have you been through it.x

I didn't do a birth plan either and everyone told me what a good decision that was! The two midwives I saw most of (who were lovely!) both said how I was much easier to look after than a lady with a huge birth plan would have been as I was willing to change as needed. And I can definitely says that things changed a lot! I had few expectations of labour but what I got was nothing like what I thought I would get ;)

Cai - it's still part of the birth though, with all the issues you've had so definitely worth waiting. I think the experiences of those like you who maybe didn't have a great time of it and needed lots of intervention is just as important as that of someone who had a lovely home birth that went perfectly! xxx

I'll wrote my story up after Wednesday when I have a hospital appointment! :-/ I have a few questions to ask them myself. I know actual birth ended 9 weeks ago,..but for the benefit of people looking for advice etc I will give a shortened version of 'the whole story' lol. I'm thinking about selling the film writes... Lol but who would play me?! Lol x
not me cai, because dear lord have you been through it.x Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app
I didn't do a birth plan either and everyone told me what a good decision that was! The two midwives I saw most of (who were lovely!) both said how I was much easier to look after than a lady with a huge birth plan would have been as I was willing to change as needed. And I can definitely says that things changed a lot! I had few expectations of labour but what I got was nothing like what I thought I would get ;) Cai - it's still part of the birth though, with all the issues you've had so definitely worth waiting. I think the experiences of those like you who maybe didn't have a great time of it and needed lots of intervention is just as important as that of someone who had a lovely home birth that went perfectly! xxx

Is it the joy of night feeds, keeping you awake ladies? X

Is it the joy of night feeds, keeping you awake ladies? X

Night feeds plus a baby that will only sleep on me! Bless him <3

So I've finally written our story down, 9 days later ;) Been a busy mummy!

It started on Thursday night (12th December), I'd had a complete meltdown at Slimming World class about my induction which was booked for Saturday. Although I wanted the induction I was also scared to death and had a proper jealousy thing going on as I'd found out that someone who was due the same day as me had given birth the day before. Anyway, following all this I ate pizza, played Arkham Asylum on the xbox and had never been more surprised in my life when my waters broke at 1am. And it was a proper pop, like a balloon bursting - there was a massive gush and then a constant trickle for ages afterwards. I somehow managed to not hit the sofa or carpet (win!) and got to the dining room and laminate floor before it properly went though. We rang LAU and were told to go straight there. Nine hours later we were home again, feeling pretty frustrated. It was confirmed that my waters had gone but I was only in early labour so straight back home for me :( The induction was rebooked for the Friday night though as now my waters had gone they didn't want to leave it longer than 24 hours before I went into labour. This was assuming nothing happened naturally on Friday!

Friday was pretty much just a blur as we waited for 10pm and our induction appointment. I ate lots and tried to rest but I was starting to get irregular contractions at that point and was in a fair amount of discomfort so it wasn't easy. I was admitted at 10.00 and they had the first propess (pessary on a string) in at about 3 in the morning. I started contracting more regularly pretty much straight away but still not regular enough to make any real progress and by the time they checked me next lunch time I was only dilated to 1cm! I was pretty pee'd off by this point that it was going so slowly, even though I know inductions can take ages as everyone was coming in and out of the induction room around me, including one girl who came in suffering no pain at all and turned out to be 7cm! Straight off for her, no induction needed lol.

At this point the consultant offered me the 'get on with it' option as she called it. The propess was supposed to stay for 24 hours but she doubted I'd go into established labour in time from that alone and my waters had now been gone for well over 24 hours, although she also confirmed that it was actually only my hind waters that had gone, there was still fluid around the babies head which was probably why I wasn't progressing. She was eager to get me on antibiotics so suggested I had the propess out and went straight to having the rest of my waters broken and the drip. I had a good think, a chat with the midwife and decided that I wanted to give the propess more time to work as I felt like I was being rushed.

No sooner had a decided that, the bloody pessary fell out! Down the loo as well so no saving it. :/ The consultant refused to allow me to have another one so at that point I had no choice but to have my waters broken and go on the drip. I was pretty gutted tbh but glad in a way that things would be moving on.

They let us go for a walk and something to eat before starting the rest of the induction, was very glad of this and that they informed us of the fact that I couldn't eat once the drip was started!

Having my forewaters broken was about the least fun ever, I needed a good amount of gas and air for that - amazing stuff :D Don't let them do it without is my recommendation! As soon as my waters had gone for good they popped me on the monitor, where I stayed for the rest of the labour other than loo breaks. ;) It meant that I was pretty much stuck to the bed though which wasn't ideal, I really wanted an active labour but it's hard with the constant monitoring that's required. The contractions really started in earnest and the gas and air was really coming in handy as they speeded up and got more intense. It was about 2 hours later when they put me on the induction drip plus my first dose of antibiotics and I was getting on pretty well by this point.

Having the drip in itself was a bit traumatic as the first cannula failed and had to be resited. This meant a wait for the doctor to come back and another lot of pain and bruising. One of my least favourite bits of the whole experience if I'm honest! They put in the syntocinon drip plus antibiotics and left us to it for a bit. The drip was turned up every 30 minutes until contractions got closer together (I think it was 4 in every 10 minutes they were looking for) and the intensity went up noticeably with the drip being increased. I did ok just with gas and air for a good hour or so but once the drip got towards the top end of what they needed I was really struggling so asked for pethadine. I dunno about anyone else but I found it to be a bit useless! I can't say I noticed any difference after the shot and even when I had a top up later on it seemed to do very little. On this basis, as gas and air wasn't touching the sides now, I asked for an epidural which I got pretty quickly. Just one problem - it only half worked!

I had no idea that epidurals could go wrong so it was a bit of a shock when I realised that I wasn't getting the pain free experience I'd been promised. By the time we realised what the problem was, the anaesthetist had gone as he was needed in theatre and getting them to come back to you is a nightmare once they've gone. So I was left with one numb side (my left) and my right side was only partially numb (hip down) and from my hip upwards I could feel everything. And good grief was it unpleasant.

By this point I'd lost the plot a bit, mainly because I was so upset about the epidural not working. To then find out that I was still only 5cm dilated after all of that? To say I kicked off a bit in a massive self pity fit would be putting it mildly. There was lots of screaming and crying, partially because I was upset and partially because it bloody hurt more than anything I have ever experienced in my life. They gave me more pethadine and I carried on with the gas and air but it was doing nothing by this point. Colin was looking pretty terrified and he admitted later that he'd never been so scared in his life as he was during that part of the labour as I was in such a state and there was nothing he could do. They tried to get me on my side to ease the pain on the non numb side but it's hard to roll over when you have one numb leg, plus SPD. Once they got me over and I was slightly more comfy I had to turn straight back as baby's heart rate dropped dramatically. This meant that I couldn't get comfy at all as the best position for me was the worst position for him. The next hour or so was spent trying to get me into a decent position so that it was as pain free as possible, whilst making sure that baby was doing ok. They kept losing him on the monitor so I had an internal monitor put on his head which restricted me even more movement wise, it was pretty horrific and by this point I was massively worried about baby too as he obviously wasn't coping well with labour. At one point they put an oxygen mask on me and I could feel myself starting to panic. The pain was incredible and all focused in one area which made it very hard to handle. I was trying to breathe through contractions and use my gas and air but I was hardly getting a break at this point, the contractions were very close and intense. They turned the drip down at this point as baby's heart rate was up and down and they were having trouble keeping a trace on him.

It was the best moment of my life when the anaesthetist turned up again, well it was a different one and she was lovely. The epidural actually worked second time around and I couldn't have been more grateful! I was completely knackered by this point and pretty out of it so I only really have Colin's word for what was going on. At this point he asked if it would be a problem if he popped home - we'd already agreed earlier that he should as the cats needed feeding (poor things had been left for 24 hours by this point) and there were a few things I wanted him to pick up. After being reassured that nothing would be happening for a couple of hours at least he went. Apparently he tried to tell me about four times that he was going but he said it was fairly obvious that I wasn't taking any of it in! He said that he felt as happy as he could leaving as at least by that point I was comfortable and able to relax a bit with the pain gone.

The next thing I remember is waking up and being told by a doctor that I needed to try pushing as I was now fully dilated! Tbh even if I'd not been told to push I would have known that was what I needed to do - the pressure in my back and bum was enormous by that point. Finding out I was 10cm was somewhat of a shock though, I can only assume that finally having a working epidural relaxed me enough that my body did what it needed to on its own. Who says epidurals slow down labour eh?

I tried pushing when I was told to but I was still pretty out of it and it was quickly obvious that the doctor wasn't happy with something. She told me to try again which I did but again it was clear that something was wrong. The next thing I remember hearing was the midwife asking for someone to go and get Colin back here now! I panicked at that point and they explained that baby was posterior, his head was trying to come through my pelvis the wrong way and with his heart rate dropping they needed to get him out ASAP. So I needed to be taken to theatre and they would try forceps if they could but if that was impossible then it would be a caesarian. It wasn't long after that Colin arrived back - he'd only been gone an hour as it turned out and had literally got home and fed the cats before he had the call telling him to come back! He'd jumped in a taxi and was back in minutes fortunately. As soon as he arrived he was taken off to scrub up and I was taken into theatre. They got me in stirrups and had a good look before deciding that forceps wouldn't work as baby was too high up. So caesarian it was and it didn't take long to have everything ready - it was amazing how quickly it all happened tbh. A few minutes later and I could suddenly hear my baby crying - it was just the most bizarre feeling in the world! Colin was crying his eyes out bless him, I was just a bit stunned I think and still very drugged. By this point I'd had two lots of pethadine, tonnes of gas and air, two epidurals, diamorphine, the induction drugs and antibiotics so I wasn't with it at all and I was kinda stunned and shaky from what Colin said afterwards. I do remember complaining about the music they had on in theatre though, of all the stupid things! I didn't get skin to skin straight away which did upset me tbh but they brought him round the screen to show him to me briefly before they took him away to check him over and do his vitamin k injection etc. Colin got to cut the cord and brought him over wrapped him a towel as soon as they were done checking him over. They asked us his name and we knew straight away that he was definitely a Seth Rowan <3 They were a long time stitching me up and I later found out that I'd lost a pint of blood, which whilst not a massive hemmorage is still a fairly decent amount and left me fairly anaemic afterwards. They took me into recovery about an hour later and gave us all a bit of time together as a family while they arranged for the transfer to the ward. I got my first proper hold, a good hour of skin to skin and a first try at breastfeeding, Seth was very sleepy though after his traumatic experience being born and he didn't really want to feed for a good 24 hours afterwards.

I was packed off to the ward with Seth in my arms, drip still in, plus catheter and drain in my wound. I couldn't feel a thing from my chest down and it was all a bit surreal if I'm honest. Having a baby that you didn't see or feel being born is weird! Colin was with me the whole time and I'm so glad he was as I started to feel really ill after getting back to the ward and spent most of the rest of the day being sick unfortunately, this carried on until I was given some anti sickness meds later in the day. Dunno whether it was the shock or the drugs or just everything but I've never felt that ill. Once I'd stopped throwing up I was allowed some food, my first in over 24 hours. Tea and toast has never tasted that good before or since!

Seth was a complete star bless him, he was still so sleepy so we both got some rest the first night. Plus I couldn't actually move so resting was about all I could do! I was totally numb from chest down for a good while and once Colin had gone it was tricky to look after Seth. Every time he cried I had to ring the buzzer for a midwife as I couldn't lift him from his cot and it was no fun at all feeling that useless. Even once the epidural had worn off I was pretty immobile as I still had a catheter in, a drain coming from my wound and a drip still going for fluids and antibiotics, plus the obvious pain from a wound that big. Later in the evening one of the midwives came round and got me out of bed for a walk, they don't like you lying in bed for longer than you have to ;) I remember having to hold a pillow over my wound to stand up the first time, my stomach muscles felt ruined so standing up and lifting myself was tough but walking was surprising easy! By the time I got back to get I was ready for sleep and luckily I got plenty as sleepy boy needed his rest too.

So all in all it was not the birth I thought it would be and probably a classic example of why you should rip up your birth plan! I wanted as little in the way of drugs as possible really and ended up having everything twice lol ;)

It was worth it though, Seth's worth every bit of it.<3

Last edited:
Wow, the induction room but sounds a bit like that episode in Friends when Rachel is in labour lol.
You definitely had it rough. Like you say, it's just proves that birth plans are a bit pointless. My birth plan bit on my notes consists of skin to skin, Tom to cut cord and epidural if I need it. But even those things could end up not happening.
I bet poor Colin didn't know whether he was coming or going. It must be so horrible for the men watching us go through so much pain and not be able to do anything about it. Is posterior back to back? Or am I totally wrong there? Because at our last scan baby was back to back which worries me a bit.
You did so so well to go through all that!! You should be extremely proud of yourself and your gorgeous little man that you did that together (and Colin of course!). It's amazing what our bodies can do and what those tiny little people can do. Xxx

Wow, the induction room but sounds a bit like that episode in Friends when Rachel is in labour lol. You definitely had it rough. Like you say, it's just proves that birth plans are a bit pointless. My birth plan bit on my notes consists of skin to skin, Tom to cut cord and epidural if I need it. But even those things could end up not happening. I bet poor Colin didn't know whether he was coming or going. It must be so horrible for the men watching us go through so much pain and not be able to do anything about it. Is posterior back to back? Or am I totally wrong there? Because at our last scan baby was back to back which worries me a bit. You did so so well to go through all that!! You should be extremely proud of yourself and your gorgeous little man that you did that together (and Colin of course!). It's amazing what our bodies can do and what those tiny little people can do. Xxx

The induction room was crap, dead busy too. There was the screaming woman who 'couldn't do it' (to be fair that was me a few hours later but at least I was in my own room by then and no one else would hear me being a wuss lol), the woman who noisily vommed up her KFC and then phoned her mum to tell her about it (!) and 7cm woman who I was sooo jealous of. I started to feel like I was rubbish at labour, everyone seemed to be going quicks than me!

Posterior is back to back I think but I don't think it's always such a problem, depends which way baby's head is facing? I know in Seth's case he was trying to come out at a funny angle and whilst he might have corrected himself he was coping badly with labour by that stage so they wanted him out quickly. He had a massive swollen red patch on his head where he'd been banging his head against a brick wall trying to get out, poor baby!

I think in some ways it was harder for Colin, I was in the middle of it so I just got on and dealt with it. Colin tried to be as strong as he could but there were times when he just looked totally helpless and it couldn't have been easy for him.

Yep, tear up that birth plan! Can totally see why people say don't bother now, it can change so fast. I tried not to have expectations but I at least expected to give birth the normal way and not by section. There's so much faff with a c section: catheterisation, compression socks, drips, having to do a fluid balance chart once your catheter is out, general lack of mobility... Having said that though my SPD vanished pretty much immediately post birth and the pain from that was far worse than the pain post c section so I think I maybe found it easer than some people? There was a lady who came in the day after me and she was really struggling with the pain and was on liquid morphine whereas I managed without.

Oh and at my hospital you automatically have to have a week of clexane (the anti DVT injections) if you have a c section. Just finished mine and my leg is bruised to hell, they are mega stingy compared to a normal injection. Hopefully you'll get a straightforward birth and avoid all of this stuff! xxx

Back