Birth Annoucements and Stories

Oh wow Hun. Thank you so much for sharing your birth story. You really did go through everything but the main thing is your little boy is here now, and healthy. That's all anyone can ever ask. Xxx

Exactly :) It wasn't the best day of my life but I never have to do it again now and my boy is here to stay <3 xxx

Thanks so much Sarah for sharing this :) I know it will be very useful to all of us mummy-to-be's on here.

Sorry to hear you went through it all though, must have been so exhausting and scary - so glad it was all wonderful in the end with a perfect, healthy baby boy. :) So proud of you!!

xxx

Thanks for sharing your story :) at least you got little Seth at the end!

Most useful thing I'll take from this is try and open my mind to the possibility of a C Section as in my head that's something I've not considered at all xx

Great to hear your story hun and your perspective on it is great-as you say he is here and you are both fine and that's the main thing!

Hope everyone has had a good Christmas xxx

Thanks girls, there's no other way to look at it really and I did always have an open mind about the birth. Still didn't quite expect what happened but I'm just glad that we both came out of relatively unscathed!

For anyone who ends up in the situation of needing a section - it's honestly not that bad. 12 days later whilst I'm nowhere near 100% I'm not doing badly. Yes, it's not ideal but don't worry too much about it. Giving birth is giving birth, however you do it and I would have done anything they asked by the end to have my boy with me safely. He's worth it a million times over! xxx

my little Freddie has caught chicken pox off our callum, the midwife said he would be fine and have immunity from me but he's got them :( he's in hospital on an antibiotic drip, it was horrible hearing him scream when they put the drip in, Carl has stayed with him while I've come home to callum because i need a wash and didn't have no pads with me, i miss him so much, its hard having 2kids and one being in hospital because you want to be with them both. i just hope and pray that he will be ok :(.x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

my little Freddie has caught chicken pox off our callum, the midwife said he would be fine and have immunity from me but he's got them :( he's in hospital on an antibiotic drip, it was horrible hearing him scream when they put the drip in, Carl has stayed with him while I've come home to callum because i need a wash and didn't have no pads with me, i miss him so much, its hard having 2kids and one being in hospital because you want to be with them both. i just hope and pray that he will be ok :(.x

Ohh god my heart goes out to you. I know how hard it is to have a few kids and feel you have to divide yourself between them all. Make sure though that you try and get some rest while you aren't with wee Freddie, last thing both the kids need is you sick.

Have the doctors said what they think will happen. I'm sure he will be fine and he will be perfect. xx

I hope Freddie is ok xx sending hugs and hope he has a speedy recovery x

Aw hugs Hun, hope he's better soon xx

Hope he gets better soon hun xxxxx

Oh no poor little Freddie I hope he is doing ok and recovers quickly. Bless him xxx

thanks everyone, we are in hospital, he's on an antibiotic drip, been here since Friday, don't know how much longer now :( x

Hey ladies

So excited that I finally get to post in here!! I'm going to get my head round my labour story when we get home so I can do it all on the laptop because it's all a bit mixed up still. Tom's told me things over the past day or so that I'd totally forgotten about!! So for now just wanted to put on a little bit announcing our little man is here (even though you already knew!) and I will update with the longest birth story ever when we get home.

Hey ladies So excited that I finally get to post in here!! I'm going to get my head round my labour story when we get home so I can do it all on the laptop because it's all a bit mixed up still. Tom's told me things over the past day or so that I'd totally forgotten about!! So for now just wanted to put on a little bit announcing our little man is here (even though you already knew!) and I will update with the longest birth story ever when we get home.

Yay for more birth stories!

I know what you mean about it being mixed up, my story is not really complete tbh, there's stuff Colin told me later that I'd forgotten and there's a good hour where I have no clue what happened as Colin wasn't there and I was out of it, I think I was asleep but it's anyone's guess really. The bit after that when I was pushing before they whisked me off to theatre is pretty vague too if I'm honest. This is what too many drugs do to you lol ;)

After trying to write it properly for nine days I gave up and posted what I had which isn't perfect but I figure that if there's bits I can't recall I probably forgot them for a good reason!

Looking forward to your update and hopefully more Cole pictures too :) xxx

Right, time for a birth story. I apologise in advance as I'm sure it'll be long and, seeing as I was updating right until I was pushing, it may be slightly repetitive. Doing it while Tom is sat in the room with me so I get it as near as I can.

So.....went in at 10am on Boxing Day to be induced. Had Propess (tampon style pessary) put in at 11.30am and told I wasn't allowed to leave the hospital as I had to be monitored every 4 hours until baby was born, so basically temperature and blood pressure then a stint on the heart rate machine etc. Tom was allowed to be there 0800-2100hrs each day. The pessary had to stay in for 24 hours when I would be checked again. So while I was waiting we just mooched around the hospital, ate, had a bubble bath etc. The first pessary didn't work so had a second one on the 27th - nothing. Cervix wasn't moving, I wasn't even a centimetre. On the third day I had to be assessed by the consultant who decided to go for a third pessary. Again, nothing. He came to see me again on Sunday (day 4) and we decided I would try the gel instead with a view to a possible elective C section Monday/Tuesday if it didn't work. Had first lot of gel at 3pm Sunday afternoon and second at 9pm. I didn't think it was working but another consultant came to see me on Monday afternoon and said he would check me to see if I was ready for labour ward, if not he would look at booking me in for C section on the Tuesday. When he checked me he said I was 1-2cm so labour ward would be able to break my waters. YAY!!!

Was taken to labour ward at approx 6.15pm on Monday 30th. Midwife checked me and tried to break my waters but said that the consultant was wrong and I was still not even 1cm. She went and brought a doctor who also tried to break them and couldn't. By this point I was getting really upset as they said if they couldn't do it they would start again with the pessaries/gel. I told them I'd refuse as the doctor had said I could have a section as I was shattered from 5 days in hospital with no more than 3.5 hours unbroken sleep since Christmas Day. They brought in a third doctor, put me in the stirrups so they had 'better access' and gave me gas and air. The third doctor managed to break my waters at 20.40hrs after a LOT of poking and prodding and god, it hurt.

Once waters were gone I was hooked up to an insulin drip in my right hand due to my GD. They hooked me up to a second drip on the same hand too but I have literally no idea what that was. In my left hand they hooked me up to the induction drip and got me ready for an epidural as they advised me to have one because the drip can make you overcontract.I was also put on the heartbeat monitor again so I literally was strapped to the bed. The drip is turned up slightly every half an hour and my contractions started but were very erratic and not too bad at this point. By 1am they were getting worse so they called for the anaesthetist to do the epidural. He had literally just put the needle in my back and everything went a bit mad. Baby's heartbeat dropped dramatically and people came from everywhere. Everyone was shouting questions at me like when did I last eat, do I have false teeth, any metal in my body etc. Then the registrar brought me a consent form to sign saying he'd explained the risk of hysterectomy etc. Next thing I knew I was being wheeled out of the room with about 10 people bringing my drip stands etc. One of them got stuck in the door and wouldn't come out so Tom literally bent it. He says he doesn't know where he got the strength from but he did it. Then they left him stood in the corridor and wheeled me into theatre. He was told to scrub up and was there with me in minutes. They monitored baby for a good half an hour as his heart rate came back up and stabilised then decided I was good to go back and carry on naturally.

Cant really remember much during the rest of the night as I slept if I could. Well, as much as you can when someone comes to take your blood every hour on the hour to check my blood sugars. My epidural wasn't working properly. I could feel everything in the left hand side of my back so they decided to top up my epidural. Once they'd done it the midwife made me lay on my left hand side even though that's where the pain was and I REALLY didn't want to. I'd been on my side for about 5 minutes when baby's heart beat dropped AGAIN and people started showing up again. Luckily he stabilised straightaway this time so no need for a theatre dash. They then decided to put a clip on his head so I had yet another wire coming off me. They told me at this point I was 3cm. They turned the drip off to give me a break and it wasn't turned back on for a few hours.

At 8am the day midwife took over and she was so nice. She was really young but far nicer than the night one. She checked me at 11.30ish and I was 5cm so classed as being in proper labour. Epidural still wasn't working so was on gas and air too which I LOVED! Everything was pretty calm during the day (hence my mini's updates) and at 3.30pm she checked me and said I was 10cm. Because of the epidural and drip etc she said I needed a 'passive hour' where they wouldn't do anything and just wait for baby to travel down naturally. At about 16.40hrs they gave me paracetamol and told me to start pushing. I was absolutely shattered and was really trying but the drip was making me over contract. I was having a constant contraction so didn't get to stop pushing. I vaguely remember hearing them say they would turn down the drip (Tom filled me in on the rest) to give me a break from the contractions as they were concerned I was getting too tired. They called the doctors after an hour who checked me and said that they were taking me to theatre again. They said they would try forceps first and, if that didn't work, a C section. Baby's heartbeat was fine this time so it wasn't the mad dash that we had in the night but it was still quick. They gave me a spinal block which worked in seconds. All I remember is them forcing my legs up into stirrups and I was prodding my numb leg asking Tom if it was my leg because I couldn't feel it. They did an episiotomy and after three pushes (very weird pushing when you cant feel anything) at 18.33hrs Cole was out. They held him up and showed me him then cut the cord but left it quite long. They took him to check him and shouted Tom over to cut the rest of the cord which was nice. Took them about 30 minutes to fix me up and clean me etc. They'd taken Tom and Cole to the recovery rom to wait for me and told Tom to fed him. As soon as they left I started shaking and couldn't stop, it was horrible. They were asking if I was cold but I think it was more shock. I couldn't feel anything from my chest down and was even struggling to lift my arms. They wheeled me into recovery and Tom was just trying to show me Cole's face as I hadn't seen it when the baby doctor came in and said they were taking him to cannulate him. I only found out afterwards that my temperature went high during labour so we both needed antibiotics in case we had an infection. They took him away from me before I had chance to even touch him. Tom said he was going to ring people and I was begging him not to leave me because I didn't know what the hell was going on. I eventually let him go and the midwives came to bed bath me. Still couldn't feel anything and was getting really upset as all I could hear was my baby screaming as they tried to get a cannula in him. Tom came back and they told him that he would have to leave soon as they were taking me to the post natal ward. They brought Cole back for a few minutes and let me have skin to skin then took him away again. Tom had to leave at 2230hrs and they took me to a private room. I didn't have a clue where Cole was or even if he was ok. Luckily the midwife in the post natal ward had looked after me before I went into labour and she went and brought him for me, probably about 11pm ish. She made me a sandwich and let me hold him for a while but it was hard as I was still quite numb. I was so looking forward to being with him at midnight but they came and took him away again so I spent midnight in the room on my own crying. I eventually got my baby at 0110hrs on 1st January, over 6.5 hour since he had been born. I couldn't do anything for him so the midwife had to keep coming to feed and change him. It was horrendous. The midwife was fuming as she said they could have waited to do the cannula, he wasn't ill in the slightest so they didn't need to take him straight away and they didn't need to take him for so long. The only reason it took so long was because nobody could get the cannula in so his little arms and legs are covered in bruises and tiny pin pricks. If it was absolutely necessary to take him away so quickly and for so long then fair enough but to find out it wasn't killed me.

After this everything pretty much died down. We had to stay in because Cole needed blood cultures doing for 48hrs to make sure he didn't have an infection and I was on antibiotics too. But from New Years Day I was at least able to do things for him. And now we're home and its amazing.

Sorry that was so long, I completely forgot half of it and once I started writing it just came out. I'm actually sat here crying at the last bit, it was the worst part of the whole thing not being able to spend time with my boy. But I've got all the time in the world with him now :)

Back