Birth Annoucements and Stories

Bless you, can't believe they took him away for so long and for no real reason either :/ I would have been exactly the same, I found it hard enough that I couldn't hold Seth for a while after he was born but at least I knew where he was and Colin got to hold him even though I couldn't. Not surprised the midwife was angry!

Reading your story made me remember a few things that happened to me, plus a few things Colin mentioned - I'd forgotten that I had to have the drip turned down for example so going to update my story too. As much as I hated the majority of my labour I do want to remember it as I doubt I'll experience it again ;)

Thanks for sharing your story - so glad it all ended well for you, Tom and Cole after all that waiting xxx

Right, time for a birth story. I apologise in advance as I'm sure it'll be long and, seeing as I was updating right until I was pushing, it may be slightly repetitive. Doing it while Tom is sat in the room with me so I get it as near as I can.

So.....went in at 10am on Boxing Day to be induced. Had Propess (tampon style pessary) put in at 11.30am and told I wasn't allowed to leave the hospital as I had to be monitored every 4 hours until baby was born, so basically temperature and blood pressure then a stint on the heart rate machine etc. Tom was allowed to be there 0800-2100hrs each day. The pessary had to stay in for 24 hours when I would be checked again. So while I was waiting we just mooched around the hospital, ate, had a bubble bath etc. The first pessary didn't work so had a second one on the 27th - nothing. Cervix wasn't moving, I wasn't even a centimetre. On the third day I had to be assessed by the consultant who decided to go for a third pessary. Again, nothing. He came to see me again on Sunday (day 4) and we decided I would try the gel instead with a view to a possible elective C section Monday/Tuesday if it didn't work. Had first lot of gel at 3pm Sunday afternoon and second at 9pm. I didn't think it was working but another consultant came to see me on Monday afternoon and said he would check me to see if I was ready for labour ward, if not he would look at booking me in for C section on the Tuesday. When he checked me he said I was 1-2cm so labour ward would be able to break my waters. YAY!!!

Was taken to labour ward at approx 6.15pm on Monday 30th. Midwife checked me and tried to break my waters but said that the consultant was wrong and I was still not even 1cm. She went and brought a doctor who also tried to break them and couldn't. By this point I was getting really upset as they said if they couldn't do it they would start again with the pessaries/gel. I told them I'd refuse as the doctor had said I could have a section as I was shattered from 5 days in hospital with no more than 3.5 hours unbroken sleep since Christmas Day. They brought in a third doctor, put me in the stirrups so they had 'better access' and gave me gas and air. The third doctor managed to break my waters at 20.40hrs after a LOT of poking and prodding and god, it hurt.

Once waters were gone I was hooked up to an insulin drip in my right hand due to my GD. They hooked me up to a second drip on the same hand too but I have literally no idea what that was. In my left hand they hooked me up to the induction drip and got me ready for an epidural as they advised me to have one because the drip can make you overcontract.I was also put on the heartbeat monitor again so I literally was strapped to the bed. The drip is turned up slightly every half an hour and my contractions started but were very erratic and not too bad at this point. By 1am they were getting worse so they called for the anaesthetist to do the epidural. He had literally just put the needle in my back and everything went a bit mad. Baby's heartbeat dropped dramatically and people came from everywhere. Everyone was shouting questions at me like when did I last eat, do I have false teeth, any metal in my body etc. Then the registrar brought me a consent form to sign saying he'd explained the risk of hysterectomy etc. Next thing I knew I was being wheeled out of the room with about 10 people bringing my drip stands etc. One of them got stuck in the door and wouldn't come out so Tom literally bent it. He says he doesn't know where he got the strength from but he did it. Then they left him stood in the corridor and wheeled me into theatre. He was told to scrub up and was there with me in minutes. They monitored baby for a good half an hour as his heart rate came back up and stabilised then decided I was good to go back and carry on naturally.

Cant really remember much during the rest of the night as I slept if I could. Well, as much as you can when someone comes to take your blood every hour on the hour to check my blood sugars. My epidural wasn't working properly. I could feel everything in the left hand side of my back so they decided to top up my epidural. Once they'd done it the midwife made me lay on my left hand side even though that's where the pain was and I REALLY didn't want to. I'd been on my side for about 5 minutes when baby's heart beat dropped AGAIN and people started showing up again. Luckily he stabilised straightaway this time so no need for a theatre dash. They then decided to put a clip on his head so I had yet another wire coming off me. They told me at this point I was 3cm. They turned the drip off to give me a break and it wasn't turned back on for a few hours.

At 8am the day midwife took over and she was so nice. She was really young but far nicer than the night one. She checked me at 11.30ish and I was 5cm so classed as being in proper labour. Epidural still wasn't working so was on gas and air too which I LOVED! Everything was pretty calm during the day (hence my mini's updates) and at 3.30pm she checked me and said I was 10cm. Because of the epidural and drip etc she said I needed a 'passive hour' where they wouldn't do anything and just wait for baby to travel down naturally. At about 16.40hrs they gave me paracetamol and told me to start pushing. I was absolutely shattered and was really trying but the drip was making me over contract. I was having a constant contraction so didn't get to stop pushing. I vaguely remember hearing them say they would turn down the drip (Tom filled me in on the rest) to give me a break from the contractions as they were concerned I was getting too tired. They called the doctors after an hour who checked me and said that they were taking me to theatre again. They said they would try forceps first and, if that didn't work, a C section. Baby's heartbeat was fine this time so it wasn't the mad dash that we had in the night but it was still quick. They gave me a spinal block which worked in seconds. All I remember is them forcing my legs up into stirrups and I was prodding my numb leg asking Tom if it was my leg because I couldn't feel it. They did an episiotomy and after three pushes (very weird pushing when you cant feel anything) at 18.33hrs Cole was out. They held him up and showed me him then cut the cord but left it quite long. They took him to check him and shouted Tom over to cut the rest of the cord which was nice. Took them about 30 minutes to fix me up and clean me etc. They'd taken Tom and Cole to the recovery rom to wait for me and told Tom to fed him. As soon as they left I started shaking and couldn't stop, it was horrible. They were asking if I was cold but I think it was more shock. I couldn't feel anything from my chest down and was even struggling to lift my arms. They wheeled me into recovery and Tom was just trying to show me Cole's face as I hadn't seen it when the baby doctor came in and said they were taking him to cannulate him. I only found out afterwards that my temperature went high during labour so we both needed antibiotics in case we had an infection. They took him away from me before I had chance to even touch him. Tom said he was going to ring people and I was begging him not to leave me because I didn't know what the hell was going on. I eventually let him go and the midwives came to bed bath me. Still couldn't feel anything and was getting really upset as all I could hear was my baby screaming as they tried to get a cannula in him. Tom came back and they told him that he would have to leave soon as they were taking me to the post natal ward. They brought Cole back for a few minutes and let me have skin to skin then took him away again. Tom had to leave at 2230hrs and they took me to a private room. I didn't have a clue where Cole was or even if he was ok. Luckily the midwife in the post natal ward had looked after me before I went into labour and she went and brought him for me, probably about 11pm ish. She made me a sandwich and let me hold him for a while but it was hard as I was still quite numb. I was so looking forward to being with him at midnight but they came and took him away again so I spent midnight in the room on my own crying. I eventually got my baby at 0110hrs on 1st January, over 6.5 hour since he had been born. I couldn't do anything for him so the midwife had to keep coming to feed and change him. It was horrendous. The midwife was fuming as she said they could have waited to do the cannula, he wasn't ill in the slightest so they didn't need to take him straight away and they didn't need to take him for so long. The only reason it took so long was because nobody could get the cannula in so his little arms and legs are covered in bruises and tiny pin pricks. If it was absolutely necessary to take him away so quickly and for so long then fair enough but to find out it wasn't killed me.

After this everything pretty much died down. We had to stay in because Cole needed blood cultures doing for 48hrs to make sure he didn't have an infection and I was on antibiotics too. But from New Years Day I was at least able to do things for him. And now we're home and its amazing.

Sorry that was so long, I completely forgot half of it and once I started writing it just came out. I'm actually sat here crying at the last bit, it was the worst part of the whole thing not being able to spend time with my boy. But I've got all the time in the world with him now :)

Aww bless you hun, you did so well! It's a shame you didn't get to see him just after but as you say, you've got all the time in the world now. If you feel you want to, I would write to the Hosp and let them know you weren't happy with how they dealt with you and cole.
Lots of love anyway-and special mummy and baby cuddles make it all feel better xxx

Aww bless you hun, you did so well! It's a shame you didn't get to see him just after but as you say, you've got all the time in the world now. If you feel you want to, I would write to the Hosp and let them know you weren't happy with how they dealt with you and cole. Lots of love anyway-and special mummy and baby cuddles make it all feel better xxx

I've considered contacting the hospital but not sure. The midwives were brilliant, I can't fault them. And the doctors who helped in theatre. I can barely feel my stitches. I just think the paediatricians could have been better. But then obviously their priority is the baby. They probably don't care about mum. I might mention it to the HV or midwife. I've not struggled at all in bonding with him, being separated hasn't affected our relationship, but I can see how it could have done for some women. I just think it was cruel to do that to someone when there wasn't an emergency. Surely they could have waited half an hour, just for me to meet my son?! I think it was because it was NYE and they wanted to get done. Xx

I know when I had my first midwife check after Seth was born she said that they'd happily go through any aspect of the birth with me if there was anything I was unsure of/unhappy with. I definitely would speak to them, it sounds like they completely overreacted and you missed out on important time with your boy because of it. xxx

Wow, Sarah!

Thank you so much for sharing your story too! What an insane few days!

I totally don't blame you for being upset...I'd be devastated if I couldn't have skin to skin straight away, and then later finding out that them taking your little boy away was unnecessary - I'd be fuming! Those first few minutes are something you won't get back, so I'd definitely speak to the hospital. Although they won't be able to go back in time and make things better for you, they may stop another mummy feeling as upset :( Bless you. The important thing is though that you're both safe and well :) and you're home now with your gorgeous little boy and that's all that matters.

Thanks so much again, it's such a good idea sharing stories as I think having lots of different experiences will really help us all and future ladies who visit this section.

Congratulations again to you and Tom - so so happy for you xxx

I know when I had my first midwife check after Seth was born she said that they'd happily go through any aspect of the birth with me if there was anything I was unsure of/unhappy with. I definitely would speak to them, it sounds like they completely overreacted and you missed out on important time with your boy because of it. xxx

I agree with Sarah, Sarah (sounds funny that!) Although as you say, they wanted to be safe, you could have had a cuddle first! And just because it's NYE makes no difference. I'm glad you feel it hasn't affected your relationship with him, it's obviously affected you if you feel upset by it, as anyone would. And how were they to know it wouldn't cause problems for you! It could do for the next woman! I would def mention it to the midwife, and see what she says.
Hope you have a lovely sunday!
X

Congratulations Sarah and thanks for sharing your story.

All sounds so stressful but glad it hasn't affected your relationship. Xx

Thanks girls. Reading it back it obviously wouldn't have been my ideal way to give birth but it just shows the reaction times if something goes wrong and, even though we had a bit of an ordeal, it's reassuring to know that they act so fast and are prepared. I'm more than making up for the missed baby cuddles now and it still amazes me every day that he's mine.

Pretty much how I felt - I wouldn't have chosen my labour but it was what it was and in the end they acted fast and everything was ok. Getting rushed to theatre is terrifying but it's amazing how quickly things can happen when they need to!

Just glad you're all ok and Cole is catching up on mummy cuddles now :) xxx

Thanks for sharing your birth story Sarah. You did an amazing job, being in for that long with nothing happening would have driven me mad!
Sounds like little Cole kept you on your toes with the mad dash to theatre at 2am, but i am so glad that he settled and you were able to continue on your own.
I can completely understand why you are upset that they took him, i would have been too, it's one thing to think it was necessary for him to be taken away from you, but to be told (even if the midwife thought she was being nice) that it wasn't necessary that soon was really poor practice....personally i think i would rather have believed it was necessary.

I think you should speak to a midwife/write a letter and explain that it's not the care you have a problem with but it sounds like it would of been nice to be told why things were being done. I do understand sometimes there is no time to explain and they just have to get things done, but it doesn't sound like it was an emergency situation so someone should have spoken to you and explained what was happening (this is one of the reasons i gave up doing my midwifery training.....I got so angry about how mums were treated like they didn't matter!).

You are right - you have all the time in the world with your gorgeous little man now, so i hope that although the birth wasn't what you wanted/expected the end result was your little man :)

Thanks for sharing your birth story Sarah. You did an amazing job, being in for that long with nothing happening would have driven me mad! Sounds like little Cole kept you on your toes with the mad dash to theatre at 2am, but i am so glad that he settled and you were able to continue on your own. I can completely understand why you are upset that they took him, i would have been too, it's one thing to think it was necessary for him to be taken away from you, but to be told (even if the midwife thought she was being nice) that it wasn't necessary that soon was really poor practice....personally i think i would rather have believed it was necessary. I think you should speak to a midwife/write a letter and explain that it's not the care you have a problem with but it sounds like it would of been nice to be told why things were being done. I do understand sometimes there is no time to explain and they just have to get things done, but it doesn't sound like it was an emergency situation so someone should have spoken to you and explained what was happening (this is one of the reasons i gave up doing my midwifery training.....I got so angry about how mums were treated like they didn't matter!). You are right - you have all the time in the world with your gorgeous little man now, so i hope that although the birth wasn't what you wanted/expected the end result was your little man :)

That's the main thing that annoyed me, that they didn't tell me why they were taking him and didn't care (or didn't seem to) that I hadn't seen or cuddled him. The midwives were brilliant, I can't fault them, it was the paediatricians that didn't seem to care. I know the babies are their priority but still. Cole's still covered in pin pricks and bruises, it makes me want to cry every time I see them.
I'm definitely going to email and let them know how I feel. Even if it means that they treat another new mum slightly better in future.

Despite all that he's worth every second and I'd do it all again for my little man. Xx

I do love this thread xx it's so useful for us expectant mums and hopefully any other ladies who join this forum in the future :)

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to some more birth stories/announcements xx

Ladies we need some more birth stories on here when you get the chance. Obviously your babies come first but can't wait to read them when you all get chance :D xx

Birth story: :)

Right! Where to start? Wednesday morning I thought my waters had broken and I started to get regular and what I now know we're mild contractions, had back ache as well - so I phoned the labour ward and they asked me to come in as only 37 weeks and suspected waters gone - went in, confirmed waters not gone it was a show and sent me home :( was in lots if pain tho and it got worse stuck a tens machine on my back which helped a bit but ended up ripping it off my back that night as was starting to annoy me! Thursday i had contractions on and off all day, i thought they were getting somewhere and then they would stop and id be left with back ache - On Friday had to go in again as was in so much pain, confirmed 2cm dialated and sent me packing with some codeine so I could sleep which I managed for about 4 hours.. Saturday was awful, had pains in back and bum all day and couldn't sit or lay down for more than a couple of minutes without awful spasms - had more codeine to take for the night which unfortunately didn't touch the sides and I spent from midnight until 4am uncontrollably shaking in pain - had to go back to the ward (although they weren't impressed with me, could tell they were thinking I was a massive drama queen) I was just hoping they would give me something so I could sleep as I'd literally been pacing my flat for close to 24 hours.. got examined and I was 5cm dilated!!!? :-o was such a relief to be in established labour after 3 days of feeling so out of control at home... I know it sounds really dramatic but id been feeling so lonely. So 5cm dialated at 5am, re examined at 9am was 7cm went on gas and air, got in birth pool at around 11am and got to 9cm about 1.30am, felt my waters go while I was in the pool in 2 big gushes, very strange feeling.. I was actually eating chocolate at 9cm! Then it got quite intense... Got to 10cm and started to push. And push and push and baby just wasn't coming out.... Pushed for over 2 hours and then they finally rushed me in to theatre gave me a spinal block and delivered Bella by forceps as we were both so tired.
Bella was born at 7.38pm and weighed a whopping 9.4! Couldn't believe it as had a growth scan 2 days before and they said 7.12! bit of a difference right!? I watched Charles cuddle her as they sorted me out, was very emotional and I will never forget the way he was cuddling her :) went through to recovery and I had my first cuddle with her which even tho I was high as a kite (exhausted, gas and air, codeine from night before and spinal block) was the most amazing time of my life. She then got examined and taken through to special care as her blood sugar was low and temp high, I was transferred down to a ward to recover and didn't see her till the next morning! It was weird knowing I had a baby but wasn't with her :( luckily managed to get some rest tho.

That's all I can remember about it, wonder how accurate it is :)

Last edited:
I had to ask Tom to help me write my birth story as it was all patchy!! Sounds like you had it tough. It's horrible pushing and knowing the baby isn't coming down. These babies like to test us. Glad you and Bella were both ok though. What happened to our tv labours where everything goes perfectly?!xx

Aw Nelly, sounds like your established labour went really well until the last minute. In some ways it was probably easier for me as mine was a train wreak from the word go, must be awful to feel like you've had the rug pulled from under you at the end. I know what you mean about not being able to remember much, I was off my face by the time Seth arrived so I have huge gaps in my memory which Colin had to fill in!

Main thing is that you and Bella are both fine, she's a gorgeous little thing and you are a fab mummy! xxx

Right, lets try remember what happened.....

So at 40+1 I saw my midwife and she attempted a sweep. Unfortunately she couldn't reach my cervix so I was sent home and told to keep as active as possible. I bounced on my ball, walked everywhere, ate a whole pineapple a day, had spicy currys, continued to take RLT..... and then went back at 41+1 and saw a different midwife who managed to do a sweep and said I was 1cm dilated. At 41+3 another midwife attempted a sweep but she couldn't do it at all. I was slightly confused how my cervix could go backwards but I'm guessing this midwife had shorter fingers :eek::confused::(

I had a few tightenings and I thought I had my show after the first sweep, but I'm not 100% sure even now. So on Saturday, 41+5 I went into hospital to be induced. I arrived at 10.30am and by 12 o clock, I had been examined (still 1 cm dilated) and had the pessary inserted. It was painful but then the midwife I had was rather rough. I was told to keep as active as possible so Paul and I walked around the hospital, going sideways up and down the stairs. It was pretty boring I have to admit. I had a ward to myself too until about 8pm at night. I was put on the monitor and obs taken fairly regularly and everything was fine. It is worth mentioning that I had a low risk pregnancy up to this point and was under the midwife's care the whole time (never saw a consultant). I was aiming for a water birth.

That evening we agreed that Paul should go home and get a sleep in a bed rather than a hospital reclining chair. He left about 8.30pm and I got ready for bed. I had about 2 hours sleep when I woke with slight pains. It was just before 1am when suddenly gussssshhh my waters broke. My first thought was 'omg ive wet myself' then realised it was my waters. I called the nurse and she changed the bed and I got re-dressed. My waters continued to leak for most the night. It was amazing how much water I had. I didn't get any more sleep so when lights were put on at 7am, I was still rather tired. The girl next to me had been sick and in pain all night so she was pretty loud. I was on a baby trace thing for a lot of the night but babe was doing absolutely fine. I kept getting mild contractions once my waters had broken every 5 minutes or so.

Sunday morning we did more walking and climbing stairs, but the contractions weren't as strong or regular as during the night. At 12 o clock I was examined and the pessary to be taken out, but the pessary was not there!!! The only thing we can think is that I went to the loo and it fell out then. Gutted! The mw examined me and I was still only 1cm dilated!!! Even more gutted. The mw said she would check with the dr what to do but they thought they would give me 24 hours rest to see if I went into labour naturally.

At 4pm the midwife came over and said she had spoken to the dr and they wanted me to go to delivery suite and on a drip. The fact my waters had broken at 1am that morning and I had made no progress on dilating since Tuesday, made them think that it was better to act now. So about 5.30pm we finally taken to delivery suite and into the room where I gave birth.

The first challenge was to put a canula in. I have awful veins and the midwifes couldn't do it. In the end they got the anaesthetist in, who put it in the side of my wrist. Next was hooked up to drip and monitoring machine, and at 7.11pm the drip started. It was hiked up every 30mins until I was at full dosage by 10pm. I was continuously monitored and all was fine. Baby was doing fine too. I started off on the ball which helped lots. It then got too much and I used the tens machine which I highly recommend. I found being upright or on the ball the best position. I kept needing the loo, so Paul had to take me and essentially undress me because I was wired up and kept having contractions whilst trying to wee/poo! Not one of my better moments lol.

Eventually I was in too much pain so went on to gas and air as well as the tens machine. I kneeled on the bed and leant on the top bit. This really helped. I just focussed on each contraction and then resting in between. Paul gave me sips of water but that was it. At 1am I was examined. I was still 1cm dilated! I burst into tears. The pain had been bad but I thought I had managed it, but I honestly couldn't see me coping for much longer if I still had 9cm to go and then to push. The midwife was amazing and gave Paul and I some time together. I was a mess. In the end I said I would need an epidural. This was my worse nightmare because I was petrified of epidurals.

So everything gets set up for the epidural and I then went into full body shakes. I couldn't control myself. it was awful. The anaesthetist kept telling me to get into certain positions but I just couldn't move my body. I wasn't allowed any pain relief so now was coping with contractions alone. This was definitely the worse part and I think I was crying at times. Eventually it was done and then 20 or so minutes later I was numb.

I did manage to rest for a few hours after this. Baby's heart beat kept decelerating so other doctors were coming in, but I wasn't fully with it to be honest. They kept asking me to move position which is difficult when half body is numb. Other people had to move my legs because I simply could not feel them. I cant remember the order but at some point I was put on antibiotics because my white bloods cells were high. I was also given fluids because I was dehydrated. Also they did a scratch thing on baby's head to see if he was distressed or not - thankfully he wasn't.

At 4am, I was 2cm dilated and at 7.30am I was 4/5cm dilated. At this point I was glad we were making progress but aware that in 12 hours I had only dilated 4cm, so we could be in for a long wait. Baby's heart rate kept decelerating so they got the dr in again. I think they were thinking of sending me for a C-section, but dr said she would examine me and lo and behold I was fully dilated. This was at 9.30am!!

They gave me 50mins to rest and then at 10.20am I started pushing. They said they could see baby's head so I foolishly thought it would be long until baby was here..... how wrong I was. I kept pushing, but he wouldn't budge. They did an ultrasound because they thought he may be back to back. I think he wasn't but actually can't remember. All I know is that by 12 o clock I had no energy. The doctor came in and was going to do an assisted birth but she then thought I could do it because baby was so close.... I couldn't and so at 12.20 something, she used vontouse and at 12.26 baby Oliver was born. I had an episiotomy because Oliver came out with his shoulders across me and his arms crossed, as if he was in the brace position! No wonder I couldn't push him out.

Oliver was absolutely fine. Cried straight away, The paediatrician just mentioned how big his feet were. I had skin to skin contact straight away then Paul held him. Whilst cuddling him, suddenly the room was filled with people. Apparently I was bleeding and it hadn't stopped so the midwife called the emergency button. Thankfully the bleed stopped and I wasn't required to go to theatre. Phew! I lost about 900ml in the end. I was stitched up and then cuddles with our son.

Unfortunately I was violently sick which then made me shivery. I had some tea and toast, and then that came up too. I'll be honest I felt very weak and at one point I couldn't hold Oliver any more. He felt like 10 stone! I was given a bed bath and eventually my sensation in my legs came back. I was wheelchaired to the ward about 5pm.

So that's my labour story. Unfortunately my low risk pregnancy turned into a little less straight forward labour, but Oliver is here now and all is perfect :)

I have to say the midwifes were amazing, especially in delivery suite. We saw 3 shifts of midwifes and each were incredible. I really cannot praise them enough. Even though at times things were higher risk, they always made me stay calm, and provided such encouragement when required.

Hope this all makes sense. To be honest my memory is a bit hazy at times. Probably best it stays that way really!

Back