Eating my way to a healthier me

So despite feeling not on top of my game today got some work done, so yayyy!
Food wise, feel like I've not stopped eating, just felt like I had no energy and needed food, hopefully back on track tomorrow. Really worried I'm going to gain weight for some readon today too

Had my berry smoothie with some salami

Lunch was super early, normally my smoothie and a bit of protein/fat keeps me full til early afternoon but not today :eek:
So had mackerel with oatcakes and tomato soup

Strawberries, 2 tsp peanut butter

Dinner is a cooking, having sage and basil chicken wings with spicy carrot chips and some fried onions.

My mum bought a ham hock to make ham for me as its v expensive buying good quality ham, so hope its nice :)

Got *more* uni work to do tomorrow when i get back from the dreaded vaccinations! Pretty sure I'm gonna need the TB one as the pre test site on my arm is flat, was hoping to avoid it, my sister did offere to nip my arm a lot to make it look raised but I politely declined :p lol!

Heya I can't find kale either! Had some a few weeks back and makes amazing crisps! Wonder whether we could substitute with spring greens or cabbage?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Heya I can't find kale either! Had some a few weeks back and makes amazing crisps! Wonder whether we could substitute with spring greens or cabbage?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Its like a national shortage! Lol! I *need* some kale crisps in my life :D I keep hearing amazing things about them
Hmmm, I might try cabbage, think there is some in the fridge

Immunisations all done, was *not* impressed when the fuy doing them was trying to find my muscle and was all "is there even a muscle is there?!?" Errrmm, not funny dude!
Anyways been cleared for placement so all is goooood!

Got some sunflower seeds to make sunflower and seseme crackers and bought some almond butter as heard its quite a mild flavour. Alao bought some 85% Belgium dark chocolate which is lush and much nicer than the 70% I had before.

The ham made from the ham hock was amazing, so going to do one of those a week as much nicer and cheaper than shop bought ham.

Today's food plan...

Breakfast smoothie and some ham

dark chocolate and a couple of nuts

egg and sardine salad

salmon stirfry

Feel more in control of food today, think I went into a bit of panic mode over impending deadlines and whatnot!

I always forget how much I like salmon, think I'm addicted to sage tho as throwing it on everything lol! was soo yummy on the crispy salmon skin with a bit of salt.

Think I might have the same dinner again tomorrow!! :D

Going to try not have any dark chocolate tomorrow as think I had a tad too much today, and need to reign it in or I'll be eating a bar full everyday (not that I can afford to buy that much choc anyways lol!)

Lots of work to get through tomorrow as off to Manchester to the cake and bake show on Sunday so need to be ready for Monday. Eeeeek excited for Sunday even though Paul Hollywood wont be there and I cant eat anything!!
Sounds like the start of a joke... a coeliac walks into the Cake and Bake show... :):rolleyes: hehe! If I'm feeling mischievous I may just wander round asking if things are suitable for Coeliac's :D although to be honest I'm secretly hoping there will be *one* stand thats got gluten free goodies!

So total fail on the avoiding the dark chocolate front, my excuse is I had a killer of a migraineand I know from past experience that I need to either eat some chocolate or have a strong coffee and as I'm not doing coffee right now I ate the choc. Not going to beat myself up over it, there wasnt much anyways.

So finally back in track with uni work, finished everything I have to do, just have to write up he last biochemistry practical after we do it on Tuesday and then can focus on revision so feeling happpppy with that! :D

Roasted some pumpkin seeds in coconut oil, salt, chilli flakes and cayenne pepper, they are sooo flipping yummy! Going to make a trail mix up with some nuts for uni snacks coz learning is hungry work lol!

Got some sunflower and seseme crackers in then over so hope they turn out well.

Had my smoothie for breakfast, got frozen mixed berries from Sainsburys as they were cheaper than the raspberries and its just as nice, so happy to save a bit of money as berries can be expensive

Lunch was the last of the ham with a one egg omelette (sob I've run out eggs!) In a lettuce wrap with alfalfa

Chocolate hit :p

And taste testing the pumpkin seeds ;)

Pretty sure I'll also have to taste test the seed crackers too!

Dinner will be sage encrusted salmon with a spicy stir fry

Just caught up on your diary - sounds like you are doing an amazing job of juggling uni with good food and your health. Good on you! Food is all looking delicious, I must say. :)

Yesterday was A-MA-ZING!! Met Eric Lanlard :D eeeeek! think my sister almost died when we met him lol! shes studying at uni to be a pastry chef so he his literally her hero! and we *accidentally* stalked Dan Leopard :rolleyes: hehee!
I was so excited to find some gluten free food that I *may* have eaten some coconut marshmallows and a chocolate brownie.... we were all set to starve to death and after grilling the person selling the brownie about cross contamination and what not it would have been rude to not buy one, each, we really should have got the 3 for £5 deal as they were lush. So was much fun, got some freebies, geezz some people cannot queue to save their lives and go manic when there is free stuff! I'd rather not get something than go crazy pushing and grabbing.

We then went to Sweet Mandarin Chinese as they are like the only Chinese place that caters for coeliacs and OH. MY. GOD!!! it was fab! I cannot remember when I last ate Chinese food because of all the glutenny evilness but this was so yummy and 90% of the menu is gluten free, I wont say what I had but boy it was good, glad its so far away from where I live as a) I would be huge and b) muchly expensive!

So back on track today for the foreseeable future as no food excursions planned til the summer (Paris for a visit to a gluten free patisserie...) and back to uni so less time to eat, more focus on study and will need lots of sleep!

Took my smoothie to uni in my travel mug for breakfast, and now have a bit of a break so come back for a rest.

Think I'll have some eggs and mushrooms with some ham for lunch before I go back for biochem

Not sure whats for dinner think either meatballs or mince stuffed peppers

Had a small tub of roasted pumpkin seeds, walnuts and hazelnuts -prob a small handfuls worth- to hopefully see me through til dinner. Will be a test to see how much food I need to eat this week as first "normal" week since I started

Edited to add

I apprehended some strawberries :rolleyes:

Decided on mince stuffed peppers wih carrots and green beans for dinner

Last edited:
hi there, here to subscribe, just started low carbing/Paleo (winging it! ;)) 2 days ago going to nosy around here for some food ideas :D

Heyy, welcome and good luck with it :) its a fab way of eating!! There are so many yummy recipes about, I can't wait til I have more time to experiment properly

AJ xx

So not updated for a couple of days as energy has been on the low side, but Fridaýyyyyy tomorrow so even though I have some work to get on with, I am looking forward to chilling :)

Food update...

Tuesday:

ham with cherry toms

small bowl of strawberries

Spicy veg stirfry with fried eggs

pepperoni with oatcakes

chilli con carne with cabbage and leeks

Wednesday:

Berry smoothie and ham

Cup of berries

Spicy veg stirfry with fried eggs and pepperoni

Oatcakes with ham

Lamb casserole

Thursday:

Mushrooms bacon and eggs

Handful walnuts, oatcakes with butter

Blueberries and strawberries

Sage chicken wings with chilli roasted carrots, onion and peppers

Really liked having the stirfry with fried eggs and will probably have this as a breakfast when I'm not rushed.

Think all the sugary badness on sunday was not a smart move, as found it hard to eat right the last few days, but onwards and upwards.

Had a uber stress fest yesterday but it all turned out okayy, just pretty fed up having to prove myself just because I have a health condition, sucks big time.

Anyhoos.... rainbows, puppies and sunshines and all that jazz :) feel quite chilled about uni right now and *shussssssh* exams, maybe I'm in denial, I don't care :p

Whoooop its the weekennnnnd! I made it :) intact, just! Had a lovely sleeeep in today, and finished writing up my last EVER biochemistry practical! Yesss!! Just need to start some serious revision as only 4 weeks on Tuesday til my first exam... oh.my.god aaaaagrrh! I have been reliably told that 4 weeks is the optimum time to revise :rolleyes: so fingers crossed! Need to keep food on track to give myself the best chance I can.

I'm dumping the oatcakes, even though they are allowed on the plan I'm following, I've food they kick off cravings for sweet food and I am craving eating them each day, so had an intervention and cut myself off! Lol

Food for friday was:

Berry smoothie

Cold sausages (93% meat, GF) w cold roasted veg and cherry toms

Ham with oatcakes and cherry toms, cup of berries

Looking back I didn't eat that much but felt like I ate loads

Today:

Brunch!! Love love love brunch, don't care what the food is, its just yummier than breakfast or lunch lol!
Today was traditional brunch:sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs and mushrooms

Chicken drumsticks, oatcakes (LAST ones!), 2 tsp peanut butter, cup raspberries

Dinner will be herb and chilli trout with stirfry.

Really worried I'm eating too much as not really moved my ass much, think ill feel better once I've gone a day without oatcakes! Lol

Have food for the week sorted, done a menu, so just need to not deviate! Going to make some breakfast bars tomorrow, hopefully if they turn out yummy I can have them with a smoothie on the days I have to eat breakie in uni.

Looking forward to watching Doctor Who soon :D

Decided against eating dinner as got full all of a sudden, will either freeze the trout or eat it tomorrow

Hope you've had a good weekend - yay for Doctor Who! Food looking amazing as usual, it will be interesting to hear what effect stopping the oatcakes has! x

Sunday:

Eggs, bacon, gf sausages and mushrooms

Sq. Dark chocolate whilst bmaking breakfast bars and a tester!

cup of raspberries, piece of chicken

Oven baked trout with stirfry - it was a whole trout (thankfully headless! And gunkless but I was such a girl about trying to prep it lol I'm so glad none of my flatmates were around to see! :rolleyes: tasted amazing though and wasnt put off by having to remove all the bones and spine-y bits after it was cooked!

Monday *yawn* have to take breakie and lunch to uni, but at least I have less time to eat (supposedly ;) )

Smoothie and breakfast bar - these are soooo yummy :D didnt take too long to make and they keep in the freezer, need to find the recipe to post, had to adapt it as I'm staying off sugar subs and syrups but it was basically, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, hazelnuts, nut butter, coconut oil blitzed together with dark chocolate drizzled over and coconut flakes. Only need a small bit as v filling too, yay!

Cold roasted peppers and onions with gf sausages and cherry toms

Piece of cold chicken

2 boiled eggs

Savory mince mix stuffed pepper with green beans

Tuesday, weighed in with 1/2 lb on, which is okayyy in the grand scheme of things, hopefully stopping the oat cakes will help this week and I am also trying to snack less on nuts, keeping them to make my breakie bars.

Berry smoothie

Eggs, bacon, toms, and mushrooms

cold chicken

Dinner will be steak - forgot to defrost the chicken wings last night - with cabbage and leek mix

Today's a self study day, so will be a test in the eating front

Last edited:
Yayy! 3 days clean on the oatcakes front! :D

Geeeez, living on the 8th floor is no fun when the fire alarms go off :( just had to walk down and then UP 8 flights of stairs :wave_cry: I may die... but seriously dont think it'll do me any favours.

Heading off to uni in a mo, had a odd combo of food so far today!

tinned mackerel, cold chicken

veggie stuffed peppers ( which burnt whilst I was dying on the stairs) and a breakfast bar

having my sister over for our weekly Supernaturalfest, love me a bit o' Dean ;) so we are having
spicy chicken wings with roasted veggies and broccoli *yum*

over and out, off to collect my dietetics hoodie... I'm such a geek lol!

Loved having a chill with my lil sis on Wednesday night, will miss her when she goes back to Birmingham in October for uni. She decorated my revision timetable for me lol we are such a pair girls! Its covered in hearts and pics of hunky eye candy ;) I hate working to timetables, they make me rebel!!! But needs must. All work has been submitted so just 2 presentations to do and 3 exams to revise for. Off to get me some more highlighters, flash cards and giant paper tomorrow, and errrrm maybe some new jeans :rolleyes:

Had a crazy busy couple of days!

Thursday food looked like this:

Breakfast smoothie and breakfast bar

Cold chicken w roasted peppers and oniojs with toms and cucumber

Tin of mackerel

Bowl of gf muesli w coconut milk

Chilli con carne with broccoli and green beans

I was so flipping hungry when I got in yesterday!

Today:

Breakfast smoothie and breakfast bar

Tin mackerel (popped home between classes as knew lunch would be late due to an emergency library sesh)

Salted salmon with broccoli and boiled eggs

Chicken livers fried with onions and mushrooms served with broccoli and cabbage

Freezer eat day today, was going to go food shopping but life got in the way, anyhoo, just meant a lot of broccoli eating!

Back