Extra Easy Free food vs syn free food

Thanks for this thread. I'm not finding this time round with sw so easy as the diet 'extra easy' title would suggest. Maybe it's my consultant that hasn't explained it very well or i'm just a bit thick lol.
I have cut out the mugshots though, purely for the calorie content.
I'm going to read up on the red days again I think I feel more in control on them.

I suppose this is interesting to think about, but personally it wouldn't change how I eat on the plan. If I have a mug shot, it is due to the fact that I either have no where to store a salad etc, need something light to carry with me or have no way of heating something up.

And as for eating natural yog instead of mullers it aint gonna happen. I have a lot to lose and if I make this plan restrictive by over thinking it then I wouldn't keep to it.

Also the age old saying of why fix something that aint broken?

I suppose this is interesting to think about, but personally it wouldn't change how I eat on the plan. If I have a mug shot, it is due to the fact that I either have no where to store a salad etc, need something light to carry with me or have no way of heating something up.

And as for eating natural yog instead of mullers it aint gonna happen. I have a lot to lose and if I make this plan restrictive by over thinking it then I wouldn't keep to it.

Also the age old saying of why fix something that aint broken?

Wouldn't say it was over thinking the plan more not overlooking the plan.
Thats great if you are having good losses and enjoying it and what you are eating but definitely worth thinking about for people who aren't getting the losses etc
When I strarted I had so much weight to lose and had been eating so much and so badly before that I could eat mugshots as snacks on top of unlimited free foods and could do so for a long time. It did get to the point I didnt get losses though and I made changes,my appetite had decreased by then so it wasn't as difficult as it would have been in the beginning and thats a good job as I wouldn't have been able to manage doing it in the beginning.

Great thread but I must admit in my mind if it's free it's free. I do try & limit myself to 3 Activia snackpots in a day though, saying that I always have 2 Mugshots as 1 just isn't enough.

Very interesting, thank you. Perhaps this was where i was going wrong! I was eating 3 or so mullerlights (using them as something sweet after meals as a pudding and to bulk out breakfast) but i did buy some SF jelly pots and have cut down to 1 mullerlight a day. As well as switching to Red days i am hoping this will boost my weight losses again - i had previously lost so well on Green days, but this time my weight just is not budging!

Thanks for the insight - I am new to slimming world and am on extra easy and haven't really thought of it this way. ALthough I do limit myself to 1 mullerlight a day, either as a sweeter breakfast or an after dinner treat, it's pretty obvious in my mind it is less healthy than ff yoghurt, also I don't like to consume too much sweetener. The mugshots I have yet to try, I bought some for in my desk at work for if I am stuck or forgot to plan and bring lunch.

This might be slightly off topic, but pasta is a free food yet I think I might be eating too much of it (I try to alternate between pasta, rice n noodles for tea) but it is so handy for lunch box salads, yet I think I might be eating it too much, in other diets carbs and especially pasta is one of the first things to go. Any thoughts?

Very interesting, thank you. Just show we need to reread our books every now and again as if were new to the diet.

Thanks for this. Still quite new to SW, so have been using this site to pick up hints, tips and recipes. Finally got around to registering!

*puts down MullerLight and grabs fat free natural yoghurt instead*

Great thread but I must admit in my mind if it's free it's free. I do try & limit myself to 3 Activia snackpots in a day though, saying that I always have 2 Mugshots as 1 just isn't enough.

That's really interesting as you're obviously doing a great job so it works for you. However that's a good 800 calories on snacks which could inhibit (less fortunate!) people's losses. I know SW isn't supposed to be about calories but common sense suggests that eating a load of extra calories because it is 'free' may not get a result. I failed on SW the first time round for exactly this reason.

This is a great thread, I must have missed it when it was first posted!

When I restarted SW this time, I chose not to have those syn free foods, like mug shots, pasta n sauce etc, because I have been able to see that syn free foods and free foods are different - as the OP has made us all see here! I have to say it has really helped. I have had the occasional syn free food as a snack but I'm not totally relying on them to get by. I remember the last time I tried SW, I was living off marshall's macaroni, pasta n sauce, mug shots, savoury rice, etc, I managed to stick to it for about 8 weeks and lost 8lbs. This time I've lost over 30lbs, and I'm still on plan 4 months later. It has definitely made a difference (obviously not the only reason for me doing better this time, but it is one of them!)

I really like this thread.

This is something my consultant has mentioned a couple of times, and it's something I do agree with. I'm a big advocate of NOT snacking on mugshots, mullerlights etc etc, I snack only on fruit or veg. We should really focus on the free foods, and this distinction between free and syn free isn't discussed enough.

I do have a mugshot in my desk drawer, it is for absolute desperate and dire emergencies only and to keep me away from the sandwich van at work! I think if you need to have a mugshot as a snack then you should eat more at mealtimes because you are not getting full enough.

Anyway, I digress slightly. Great thread, thank you for posting it.

I do agree to some extent - but then it's always going to be better to snack on superfree rather than a mugshot/muller light etc. The issue with snacking isn't really, imo, much to do with 'free' vs 'syn free'.

I think the only reason to choose free food over 'syn free' food at mealtimes is that the 'syn free' stuff is mostly processed junk, and so eating fresh foods is going to be better for your health (ie pasta with a freshly made tomato and veg sauce is going to contain more nutrients, and less salt and preservatives and wierdness, than a pasta n' sauce - not to mention more superfree, which will make you feel fuller.)

That's really interesting as you're obviously doing a great job so it works for you. However that's a good 800 calories on snacks which could inhibit (less fortunate!) people's losses. I know SW isn't supposed to be about calories but common sense suggests that eating a load of extra calories because it is 'free' may not get a result. I failed on SW the first time round for exactly this reason.

I don't have Mugshots every day although I have had them perhaps 4/5 times some weeks for lunch but that would be very rare. I have leftovers quite a bit for lunch so it could be wedges, curry, lasagne or some homemade soup.

I never have Mugshots for a snack but I would have a yoghurt. I tend not to snack much but will occasionally have an apple or some grapes. I tend to have 3 meals a day & an evening treat.

Gonna Go Home And Re-Read My Book And Experiment See If It Makes Any Difference I Snack On Mullerlights But A Defo Yuk! To Mugshots

Figgy said:
Gonna Go Home And Re-Read My Book And Experiment See If It Makes Any Difference I Snack On Mullerlights But A Defo Yuk! To Mugshots

Capitalising every word makes your posts very difficult to read Figgy.

Back