Extra Easy Free food vs syn free food

Basically if it's listed as Free in the Food Optimising book it's Free. If you have to look it up in the Food Directory or Syns Online, its just syn-free.

Put perfectly!!!!!

I just confused myself and everyone else.......

TBH, I think its just me who was confused :) Thats very easily done. As proved by the fact that I'm still none the wiser. It probably doesn't help that I don't have to look up the syns in a mullerlight as I already know them all :).:giveup:

Dunno why I'm so worried about it though. Haven't eaten a pasta n sauce or savoury rice in about 6 years, only have 3 mullerlgihts a week at most and its about 6 months since I've had a mugshot. Plus I hate cottage cheese.

In fact, ignore me I am being really very thick.
:hide:

Same here, I don't eat the batchelors stuff, mugshots are an emergency, cottage cheese I do like but my daughter pinches it before I can eat it and I only ever buy mullers when on a super duper offer!

Other than that I eat free, superfree or very synned stuff!

Oh and I would never ignore you!

When this thread started last week I had to read the first post about 5 times to completely understand it! But since then I've thought a lot more about what food I'm choosing & it's actually encouraged me to ALWAYS choose superfree over anything else & in the last few days I feel I've eaten so much better, which is brilliant considering I usually make good choices anyway. Mugshots are a last resort for me, only if I'm seriously peckish & I can't cook, & I've still reached for Superfree only.

After reading the other posts I did get confused about cottage cheese as in my (2010) Directory is says Tesco Light Choices Natural Cottage Cheese is Superfree (on a Green day) but reading Erm's post stating if you have to look in the Directory it's syn-free, not free, has totally cleared it up for me :)

Great post!

I think mugshots are a snack not a meal! And although they are syn free they can't always be the best option! They are higher in calories than most snacks I have.

I tend to have one if I've had a light lunch and I'm going to gym after work and know I won't eat until after the gym at 7!

Last edited:
please bear with me, im new to this new regime (Im an old school SW dieter red and green - before red became original!). I totally get that I can stuf myself with super free food but what is the diff between syn free and superfree foods. If its syn free - what is it really? Do I just count it as 1 syn anyway becuase im going to feel guilty eating syn free food ........grrrrrrr **majorly confooosed**

Chunksvilles said:
please bear with me, im new to this new regime (Im an old school SW dieter red and green - before red became original!). I totally get that I can stuf myself with super free food but what is the diff between syn free and superfree foods. If its syn free - what is it really? Do I just count it as 1 syn anyway becuase im going to feel guilty eating syn free food ........grrrrrrr **majorly confooosed**

Superfree are fruit and veg that are free on red/original(ie non starchy) c

If it's syn free it's free and treat it as such, you don't need to syn it, this is just a discussion on how it's better to go with the superfree then free foods listed in your book first before you reach for the syn free foods, not that you can't, just that's its better to do the others first.

Slimming World says always try and go for the superfree first then the free, this thread is suggesting breaking that down one further into superfree, then free from your book then all the other syn free items.

If it's syn free it's free and treat it as such, you don't need to syn it, this is just a discussion on how it's better to go with the superfree then free foods listed in your book first before you reach for the syn free foods, not that you can't, just that's its better to do the others first.

Slimming World says always try and go for the superfree first then the free, this thread is suggesting breaking that down one further into superfree, then free from your book then all the other syn free items.

thank you for pointing that out - very grateful x

More things i didnt know i also thought free was free!!! Very useful to know the difference

I'd generally agree with those who say that if you're eating 1/3 superfree, and ideally most of your snacks as superfree, you're unlikely to overdose on 'syn-free' foods. That said, it's probably healthier to have some pasta and veg than a Mugshot, or yogurt and honey (even though that has syns) than a Mullerlight.

For me, I find when I'm struggling to stick to the plan at all, allowing myself more syn-free foods like Mullers with my fruit helps me to keep going. When I'm doing well, I find it perfectly doable to snack on just fruit most of the time.

I'd generally agree with those who say that if you're eating 1/3 superfree, and ideally most of your snacks as superfree, you're unlikely to overdose on 'syn-free' foods. That said, it's probably healthier to have some pasta and veg than a Mugshot, or yogurt and honey (even though that has syns) than a Mullerlight.

For me, I find when I'm struggling to stick to the plan at all, allowing myself more syn-free foods like Mullers with my fruit helps me to keep going. When I'm doing well, I find it perfectly doable to snack on just fruit most of the time.

Thank for that im financially strapped so a couple of mugshots for lunch a couple of days a week wont derail me?

I doubt it. Try to have some salad or something with it, if you can. Maybe you could defrost some veggies and mix them in? Would bulk it up and keep you full for longer to avoid snacking.

When asda do pasta n sauce for 50p I stock up as I can use them in either pasta quiche with loads of veg which makes 6 to 9 portions or another use is add extra pasta to the pasta n sauce then a whole packet of broccoli and cauliflower all chopped up add the water with about100ml more add more if you need to and cook it all together. I find this can make 2 portions maybe 3 if you have it with something else.
Lots of free - extra pasta and lots of superfree

This is really interesting :) I'm 2 weeks into slimming world for the first time and having lost 6lbs so far its going pretty well. My consultant has never distinguished between syn free and free foods :/ I have thought to myself though (after years of yo yo dieting and trying every diet under the sun) that 'free' yogurts that still contain like 5g of sugar cannot be eaten freely as much as you like and still loose weight, it just didn't seem plausible lol This definitely makes sense though I do feel its fine to eat syn free foods as much as you like but when you are making them into a meal e.g mugshots then whilst you are eating 'free' you arent actually getting any SP or real free foods so it does make sense that you wouldn't loose as much. Doing an SP week this week so meals will be all P and S foods so hoping I won't feel the need to eat too many syn free foods anyway :)

Back