Extra Easy Free food vs syn free food

When I read it, I put emphasis on the start of each word! Funny old thing the mind and the English language!!!

Can I just ask, I have the free food directory which contains both mullerlight and mugshot, how can I tell what foods in the directory are actually free, so say orange and honey coated carrots, obviously the carrots are free but would the honey make them syn free, I am really confused
Any help would be appreciated

6lauraha said:
Can I just ask, I have the free food directory which contains both mullerlight and mugshot, how can I tell what foods in the directory are actually free, so say orange and honey coated carrots, obviously the carrots are free but would the honey make them syn free, I am really confused

In the past, the free food always said FREE and the syn free said 0.0 syns x

I always think this is something that should be covered by all consultants, as it is definately something everyone should consider.

The free foods in their basic form as they are on the list are high satiety foods.

However syn free foods although they contain some high satiety ingredients, they also have ingredients that are not, especially muller lights and mug shots etc. So they are not going to leave you feeling as satisfied. Especially if you are eating them regularly, infact I would go as far as to say, you probably find you end up needing to eat more food.

A good little tip is on your food diary make little notes about how soon you were hungry again after certain meals or if you were left feeling less satisfied, so you can see the foods which are keeping you fuller for longer and the ones that are not. You will probably find you were more hungry on the days you ate too many syn free foods over free foods

Nope because honey isn't a free or syn free food.

Basically free food is the red and green free foods and superfree foods, syn free foods are just that - so cottage cheese, mullerlights, mugshots, pasta in sauce - all syn free, but not free foods.

The pages in your books are the free foods and these are those which should be concentrated on, before the syn free foods.

jaylou said:
Nope because honey isn't a free or syn free food.

Basically free food is the red and green free foods and superfree foods, syn free foods are just that - so cottage cheese, mullerlights, mugshots, pasta in sauce - all syn free, but not free foods.

The pages in your books are the free foods and these are those which should be concentrated on, before the syn free foods.

That's really confusing me Jaylou - easily done though! In my book I have fat free cottage cheese & fat free yogurts on the green free foods page.it has a note that some flavoured arteries have Syns, and to check, but it does make out that both these are free foods not syn free. Given that mullerlights are a fat free yogurt people technically wouldn't be wrong to assume they are a free food.

I get pasta n sauce and mugshots etc though

kingleds said:
That's really confusing me Jaylou - easily done though! In my book I have fat free cottage cheese & fat free yogurts on the green free foods page.it has a note that some flavoured arteries have Syns, and to check, but it does make out that both these are free foods not syn free. Given that mullerlights are a fat free yogurt people technically wouldn't be wrong to assume they are a free food.

I get pasta n sauce and mugshots etc though

FF Natural yog and cottage cheese are free foods yea, you're right about that, which is why it says that some flavours maybe synned. Like I said earlier, the best way to differentiate is between 0syns and free :)

Welshtigger said:
FF Natural yog and cottage cheese are free foods yea, you're right about that, which is why it says that some flavours maybe synned. Like I said earlier, the best way to differentiate is between 0syns and free :)

Which would make sense, if I hadn't just gone onto syns online & put in mullerlight - the result? Free, not 0 syns!

In a massive shock SW are being inconsistent!

Confused even more now..get pasta on its own and potato etc free and I also thought muller lights were free. In fact I thought mug shots etc were free eeeek gettin myself in a muddle. Must read the book again!

debtin said:
Confused even more now..get pasta on its own and potato etc free and I also thought muller lights were free. In fact I thought mug shots etc were free eeeek gettin myself in a muddle. Must read the book again!

They are syn free, but not free foods. If you read the first post it explains it x

I've just started back on SW - for the 3rd or 4th time!! I did know from previous attempts on SW that there's a differnce between free food and syn free food. I only started back this week and have made sure to include the mullerlights I've had this week in the syn column of my food diary just to emphasise the difference. It's a very important distinction to make, Emma, as I know from the past that people have eaten 2 or 3 a day thinking they were totally free.

Welshtigger said:
They are syn free, but not free foods. If you read the first post it explains it x

Sorry, not sure it really does. If I check an item on syns online it says free. Not syn free. The book says fat free yogurt is a free food. Ergo, a fat free mulleright yogurt is a free food! The fact the book says some might have syns doesn't really cover it.

I don't really think eating mullerlight,,pasta n sauce, mugshots etc in any great quantities is a good thing. That's not what I am questioning. I'm just wondering how on earth we are supposed to figure out what constitutes a syn free product & what is a free food when SW don't make that distinction on their own site?!

Isn't this just the distinction between Superfree and Free?

I understand the point about processed food but I don't feel like the SW plan makes a distinction between free and syn free, they just advice that we reach for superfree first when it comes to snacks and that free food in all it's forms is unlimited or at least that what i read in my book.

Grizzly_man said:

I understand the point about processed food but I don't feel like the SW plan makes a distinction between free and syn free, they just advice that we reach for superfree first when it comes to snacks and that free food in all it's forms is unlimited or at least that what i read in my book.

Nothing's unlimited. It's eat as much as you need to feel full.

However, I take your point. If you snack, try some super free first, if not try some free food, then processed food as a last resort. I'm just not sure how we can be expected to figure out which foods are syn free & free foods!

Grizzly_man said:

Not at all no-superfree are fruit and non starchy veg, where as free foods are all the foods listed in your foot optimising book. There are then foods like mug shots, pasta and sauce etc that have been deemed syn free.

Not at all no-superfree are fruit and non starchy veg, where as free foods are all the foods listed in your foot optimising book. There are then foods like mug shots, pasta and sauce etc that have been deemed syn free.

I see what you mean, I'm getting tired lol. I guess it's a fine line in giving the best advice, which this is, and not being confusing to Newbies (and me!)

sorry even more confused now - I have a free branded foods 2011 directory and it lists orange and honey chantenay carrots and parsnips, chilled - if honey isn't free or syn free how can this be listed in the free foods directory which is only supposed to show free foods
and also how can I tell from the book which are free and which are syn free - they just show coloured boxes to show which plan they are free on - they don't actually say 0.0 syns or free
apologies for sounding thick but this thread has made me wonder if I understand the diet as well as I thought I did
thanks in advance

6lauraha said:
sorry even more confused now - I have a free branded foods 2011 directory and it lists orange and honey chantenay carrots and parsnips, chilled - if honey isn't free or syn free how can this be listed in the free foods directory which is only supposed to show free foods
and also how can I tell from the book which are free and which are syn free - they just show coloured boxes to show which plan they are free on - they don't actually say 0.0 syns or free
apologies for sounding thick but this thread has made me wonder if I understand the diet as well as I thought I did
thanks in advance

I would imagine the amount of honey used would be so little that the syns will be negligible :)

thanks in advance

If it's free in the directory, go with that, you'll be fine, this thread is just trying to say it's better to go with the Free stuff in the front of the book first but honestly, if it's free it's free and it sounds like you are doing it just fine, if you're worried about anything just ask in the syns section or post a food diary.

If it's free in the directory, go with that, you'll be fine, this thread is just trying to say it's better to go with the Free stuff in the front of the book first but honestly, if it's free it's free and it sounds like you are doing it just fine, if you're worried about anything just ask in the syns section or post a food diary.

I agree, some of the wording and intent of this thread is a little over thought. Kingkeds had it right....first choice Superfree, then Free, last resort processed foods.
SW have put alot of research into it, no need for additions.

Back