Half marathon training

Pinkie, what speed do you normally run at? You are much faster than me. I was doing a 5k in 28 mins, but since doing 10k my pace has really slowed down, my best 10k is 63 mins still. Once I get this down to 60 mins I will look to increase the miles.

Shame you had to send your watch back.

Well I did a really slow one today. I accidentally went for a 60 min run, and covered 5.66 miles. I think my pace was just over 10 mins per mile. So not fast at all, but I think overall I'm improving slowly. This is also why I want to do a 5k run each week, to help improve my times. It's supposed to help, but we shall see.

So it sounds to me Shazzabir that we're doing roughly the same sort of pace. Does it get quicker/easier as you lose weight? I am still well within the obese category (I'm 5'6" and 13st 7lbs).

To be honest Pinkie I haven't noticed any changes to my running since losing the weight. That could also be down to losing it slowly though. Also I think I have always found running a challenge, maybe that's because I am always pushing myself to do better. Go that bit further, run that bit quicker.
I have downloaded a half marathon app for my phone today. I thought it would be easier than updating spreadsheets. Not had a proper look yet though :)

The best way to increase speed (not that I do it just from researching) is by doing sprints & hill runs included in your runs each week. So like 1 long slow run, 1 sprint/interval training run & 1 hill run.

:) I really must start to do this! Lol xx

Hey girls, today was my long run -I did 13km, so I'm thinking I'll sleep well tonight ;)
I'm still loving it but I needed to jump off the treadmill to go to the loo. This is a big problem on outdoors runs for me!

Well done biggysmalls :)

Which app did you downliad shazzabir? I had a look and the obe I wanted is no longer available and none of the others appealed to me.

Summer - Thanks, I live at the bottom of a hill, so should be able to use it in my training. I can do fast / slow runs on my treadmill. Sorted!! :)
Look out Pinkie, I'll be shooting past u with my new speed soon :)

Biggy - Your doing great with your distance. How do you find it on a treadmill. I tend to get a bit bored after an hour. Do you listen to music, books etc?

Coach - think it's called half coach. What appealed was been able to schedule the days, then it auto puts them in your calendar, then reminds you on the day. Not really looked at the program yet, so may get binned instantly if I don't like it, lol

Yeah, the longer runs can get a little dull on a treadmill but I just tell myself that it's worth it. The treadmill is a friend's and I do most of my running outside. Or at least I have been doing. I reckon I'll join a gym for November, December, January and use the treadmill there for my Winter running if the weather gets frosty. While I'm there I'll do some weights etc to get my money's worth. That's the plan -don't know if I'll actually have the time for all this! x

Running in the cold does not appeal!! As I use a treadmill mostly, I have found I struggle much more and run slower when I run outside, so really need to push myself to go outside. What do you wear for cold weather? Don't want to put too many layers on, to then have to take them off.

Unless it's really hot, I always wear a hooded top and tracksuit bottoms. Sometimes I'm too hot but I think it's better to be covered up. But if it gets colder I might wear a scarf too (I don't know, I only started running in April this year!)
To be honest, I think the need to use the toilet is going to be another factor in driving me indoors for my longer runs. I seem incapable of managing too long without feeling the need and once you've got to go, it's all you can think about....really annoying!
I'm going to keep running outside until the really bad weather arrives and then join a gym for Winter.

To be honest I only ever run I a t-shirt & 3/4running trousers - even in the cold. But a couple of times last year I did wear a hoody because when the cold hits a sweaty chest it's bad news. A scarf would be a good idea and if it's v.cold out sometimes covering your mouth with it so your not directly breathing in the cold air will help too :)

I'm looking forward to the colder weather though!!! Oh & the rain, I want rain!! Haha

Me too pinkie, but me in tiny lycra shorts?! can't ever see that happening! :giggle:

The hardest thing in the winter is the cold air. It makes breathing really difficult.

I might look into joining a gym for the winter months though, thats a good idea especially if last year is anything to go by and we get surrounded with ice & snow again - thats impossible to run in! :eek:

I don't know whether to buy a treadmill or invest in the gym for a few months. I think I would rather the former, as the gym I am interested in (taking all things into consideration, including price) is about 6 miles away. So if there is snow and ice I wouldn't want to drive there anyway. Plus the petrol cost, the time etc....

So, you guys who have treadmills, here's a question for you. how much do I need to spend? I have seen everything from £100 up to £10,000.
I guess elevation options would be good and also a distance and time tracker, obviously.
How much did you spend? Any advice?

Argos is a good place to look, they have a lot on sale at the moment. I paid £700 for mine, but notice now on sale £479!
The selling factor for me was electric incline. It is too much of a pain having to stop the treadmill, lift the back up to manually incline it, then get back on. With mine I just press a button and it instantly inclines. As this costs more the spec level tends to be much better too.
My friend has just bought one from Argos, reduced from £1000 to £500. It is pretty amazing to say the least!
For accurate speed and distance I use Garmin HRM and footpod. It is rare for treadmills to be accurate.

To be honest Pinkie I have no idea on the manual ones. Might be worth looking up on google for some reviews though?

Back