I am changing to calorie counting from S W

I use SW recipes to and mfp. great :)

I have only been calorie counting for a few days, but so far so good. I think it's the best way to go about it. I mean. It really isn't any different from other diets like Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc. in that the aim is to create a calorie deficit, but with calorie counting, nothing is off limits.

I aim to eat 1500 calories a day, and drink at least 8-12 cups of water. Mostly healthy food, but portioned controlled junk food snacks.

I just hope I can stick to it in the way I couldn't stick to other diets before.

ell your going to do it hun x x

Hi all!! Been a sw devotee for 3 years and still going to group but have plateau'd massively so having a go at this!! Will this work for me do you think? Feel like I'm eating too much free food and my body used to it. Any thoughts opinions and advice would be gratefully received !! Xx ps. I've just my last stone to go !

I did SW for fifteen years but it taught me nothing about portion control. One person's huge is another's tiny and I used to stuff myself senseless with pasta and rice, doing constant green days. One day, a comment on here made me question SW's principles and how they may be affecting me. I read "I don't eat carbs because they make me bloated and sluggish" Well, yes I did have a tummy on me but that was because I was overweight... Right? :confused: And the sluggishness was because I was approaching 50 and menopausal.... Right? :confused: I couldn't get that comment out of my head so I decided to try a week of red days instead so I cut right down on the carbs and those I did eat were complex (wholemeal spag and brown rice) rather than simple "white" rice, bread and spaghetti. And do you know? Within a week, my stomach had gone FLAT and my energy levels had gone through the roof. Whoever it was who said that way back last May, I'd like to hug you because that was the start of some major changes in my life! I swapped to CC and FINALLY learned about portion control. Yes it was hard, restricting myself to small meals BUT the weight came off easily and consistently and I coped. And gradually I got used to those smaller portions without feeling like I was still hungry.

I think it was when I started 5:2 fasting that things really started clicking into place because I could eat a small meal and instead of thinking "Meh... I'm still hungry...." I could think "Well yesterday I went ALL day until the evening without eating so you can certainly make it a few hours until lunch (or dinner)" And I stuck with it. It worked for me.

As a pp said sw teaches u nothing about portion control! But I'm addicted to their recipes but I don't eat "as much bread and pasta as I want"!!

Cc has worked for me! 61lb down having 1500 cal, since new year I've reduced to 1200-1300 a day when I don't go to the gym and around 1500 on gym days as I tend to burn 500+ cals at least to get the last 24lb off

I have porridge pretty much every morning, lunches depends on whether I'm working or not and I have a lovely family of 4 to cook for in the evening so tends to be family friendly meals ( tonight it's sausage pasta bake!)

I did SW for fifteen years but it taught me nothing about portion control. One person's huge is another's tiny and I used to stuff myself senseless with pasta and rice, doing constant green days. One day, a comment on here made me question SW's principles and how they may be affecting me. I read "I don't eat carbs because they make me bloated and sluggish" Well, yes I did have a tummy on me but that was because I was overweight... Right? :confused: And the sluggishness was because I was approaching 50 and menopausal.... Right? :confused: I couldn't get that comment out of my head so I decided to try a week of red days instead so I cut right down on the carbs and those I did eat were complex (wholemeal spag and brown rice) rather than simple "white" rice, bread and spaghetti. And do you know? Within a week, my stomach had gone FLAT and my energy levels had gone through the roof. Whoever it was who said that way back last May, I'd like to hug you because that was the start of some major changes in my life! I swapped to CC and FINALLY learned about portion control. Yes it was hard, restricting myself to small meals BUT the weight came off easily and consistently and I coped. And gradually I got used to those smaller portions without feeling like I was still hungry.

I think it was when I started 5:2 fasting that things really started clicking into place because I could eat a small meal and instead of thinking "Meh... I'm still hungry...." I could think "Well yesterday I went ALL day until the evening without eating so you can certainly make it a few hours until lunch (or dinner)" And I stuck with it. It worked for me.

so agree with everything you say. I've been bloated for 3 years!! Haha. My portions are ridiculous. I've been totally stuck in a rut and am desperate to lose my last stone. Done cc for 2 wks and lost 2lbs each week. Thrilled!!!

Hi all, I'm the same...loved SW but lived on pasta which can't be good!

I'm starting CC from today. What sort of foods do everyone eat, as I've put everything into MFP for today and struggling to get to 1200 cals.

Another quick question. Do the cals change when food is cooked? So I'm having omelette for tea tonight with 3 eggs, 150ml semi skimmed milk, mushroom and cheese. How do I get the cals for that. Raw egg an milk??

so agree with everything you say. I've been bloated for 3 years!! Haha. My portions are ridiculous. I've been totally stuck in a rut and am desperate to lose my last stone. Done cc for 2 wks and lost 2lbs each week. Thrilled!!!

Great losses!

Hi all, I'm the same...loved SW but lived on pasta which can't be good!

I'm starting CC from today. What sort of foods do everyone eat, as I've put everything into MFP for today and struggling to get to 1200 cals.

Another quick question. Do the cals change when food is cooked? So I'm having omelette for tea tonight with 3 eggs, 150ml semi skimmed milk, mushroom and cheese. How do I get the cals for that. Raw egg an milk??

Hmm. Well I tend to have fruit for breakfast and a coffee. Then maybe some hot chicken for lunch from morrisons. (No skin) or a jacket potato. Then a sw style syn free recipe in the evening. Just less of it really. If cals left I'll have a muller light and usually more fruit.
This is during the week. Then at weekend I tend to have either boiled egg and soldiers (like a kid) or a bacon sandwich with all fat cut off for breakfast. Don't eat lunch usually at weekends anyway, lots of fruit and a healthy evening meal. I've not gone hungry either to be honest.
If you do a search on eggs on mfp just enter it as it is on there. If you cook in oil etc allow cals for this otherwise it's the same cals raw or cooked. And yes search for milk separate. Mfp is a fab tool.
Good luck! Let me know how you get along with it xx

Sounds good S-L-W. I've decided this week that as I'm going for a different approach with cal counting that I'm going to eat different foods to what I usually eat on SW so I've been loving having crumpets for breakfast. If I am successful this week with CC then next week I think I'll keep it going but with on plan SW foods - to get an idea of how much I've been over-eating free foods. Although I'm enjoying the different foods this week I am a lot more hungry than I usually am on SW but maybe that's what needs to happen for me to start losing again.

I've done a bit of that too over the last 2 weeks. The beauty of counting cals not syns! I've even had a Nandos :) xx

Definitely! I am craving a pizza tho, as I've only had one in 9 months of doing slimming world but don't think it'd be a good idea - if I'm not careful I might forget that the aim of this is to lose weight not to eat all the foods that are usually not possible!

On the days I'm not fasting, I have porridge for breakfast.... it's the only thing that keeps me going until lunch - believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING! :p But I use unsweetened almond milk rather than dairy as that saves me some calories and carbs.

For lunch I usually either have a salad with an omelette or some ham or a portion of my home-made spicy carrot and lentil soup (see the BBC Good Food webby for the recipe although mine is made without the oil to save calories and still tastes yummy)

For dinner I'll either have another salad (I don't mind salad, by the way!) or something with quorn mince. With cauliflower rice or courgette spaghetti.... or I'll have a whole pack of Aldi stir-fry with a whole pack of their prawns for 243 calories! I have some Barenaked noodles to try chucking into the stir fry next time. They're only 31 cals for a whole pack too!

To satisfy my sweet tooth I tend to have Total 0% or low fat greek yoghurt with strawberries....

Definitely! I am craving a pizza tho, as I've only had one in 9 months of doing slimming world but don't think it'd be a good idea - if I'm not careful I might forget that the aim of this is to lose weight not to eat all the foods that are usually not possible!

yeah pizza is kinda bad still.... Haha xxx

Hi everyone, I'm deliberating making the jump from SW to CC - having read the threads on here, I think I have made my decision! Unfortunately - or fortunately, if you want to look at it another way - I've bought a load of 'Slimming World-friendly' food (cold meat, fruit, crabsticks, quorn mince etc) so there's going to be a lot of weighing and measuring right from the get go (as opposed to having a lot of packaged food with calories on the side). Oh well, maybe this will teach me to prioritise fresh fruit/veg and lean proteins! :)

I have been yo yo dieting for a few weeks now from S W to CC. Feel sort of stuck in a rut so giving CV another go but using S W and WW recipies so will see how I go. Dont think I could do 5.2 I like my food to much to last on the fast days. :)

I rejoined Sw beginning of Jan & I am enjoying the diet but my losses are slow 6 1/2lbs in 6 weeks . I do agree that sw is no good for portion control and some days feel I eat just for the sake of it which is I'm guessing why it's so slow ? So this week I'm going to try something different and listen to my body if I'm not hungry then I would.t eat I also wonder if eating lots of fruit doesn't help as it contains lots of sugar ( natural ) but it's still sugar . I also enjoy my group as they are all lovely but I did notice after Christmas it was packed out with new members but as the weeks have past more and more are not returning just the old familiar faces :) I do need to attend group as after many years of yo yo dieting know can't do it on my own no willpower !! X

Back