Interesting article on Emotional eating

you gotta be kidding, of course there is a difference with skin if you lose weight slowly with exercise, I agree that it depends on age and elasticity of the skin, but the reason I am trying to show the down side to vlcds is that, ok you can have a tummytuck, fine, but when you have loose skin on your thighs and on your upper arms, surgery on these parts are a) painful and b) very ugly scares. I think aot of people who embark on mass weightloss, over 6stones can only see as far as losing the weight, they see a thinner person, what they dont see is that there body will be very saggy and to look good in any fitted clothes they will have to wear support garments that smooth it all out. At the end of the day to stick to a diet where you give up all foods and replace them with shakes, cant be easier than sticking to healthy eating and exercise, I mean the willpower you need to stick to shakes and water is immense. You cant even exercise on vlcds.

Of the course the diet industry is gonna say, its easier and more effective if you use our products and oh by the way we are gonna charge loads for it. my beef is that not many people really try to lose weight the old fashioned way before saying they need diet products. The diet industry is BIG BIG business, and its no wonder they all make out that we cant do it on our own.

Im being the devils advocate or what! lol.:D

you gotta be kidding, of course there is a difference with skin if you lose weight slowly with exercise,

Maybe with the exercise, but even then, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference. It might help to draw the skin in a bit, but you'd still get that crepe effect. Unless you know of an exercise especially for skin rather than the muscle;)

The main reason why people often get that saggy stomach that overhangs is because they haven't lost enough weight.

Been there, done that.

Okay, so they might not want to lose more for various reasons, but I think in most cases it will go if you lose more weight. There is a website about this somewhere. I'll look for it later.

So anyway, look at the next 3 years of the CDer

First 6 months
does not exercise, loses 6 stone taking her to goal. She is now slim and is not risking her life due to her morbid obesity.

She may need toning up though.

Next 2.5 years
goes to gym (or whatever), gets nicely toned. Does run with friends easily. Works on healthy eating plan etc, doing everything a 'healthy eater with exercise' does except with maybe a few more calories to help her maintain.

Saggy skin
Possibly some 'recovery' during this 2.5 years, but may look like she has lost 84lbs. Still....toning up nicely with all this exercise:)

Healthy eating with exercise

Remember, I really do feel this is the ideal if you can do it...but like you, playing devils advocate;)

First 6 months does exercise, loses 2-3 stone (hard to predict exactly) She is still suffering from some of the risks due to being obese. She is exercising though and begining to tone. Probably not as much as she would like because she feels too embarrassed and mobility is still a bit of an issue. She still feels motivated to carry on with what she is doing and is sure she will continue to lose. She does pray daily - just in case it;)

She has a little lose skin (possibly....rarely shows until you've lost loads), but there may be the amount equal to losing 2-3 stone.

Next 12 months. Hurray. She has lost another 2 stone :clap: She's ecstatic. That awful plateau was driving her mad:mad:

Following 1.5 years. :clap: She has lost her 6 stones. In the 3 years, she has done 6 months more gym work (though less running etc). She has loads of clothes of different sizes as she has had to stay in the same size longer, so could just make do for a short time. Head wise she is in the same place as the VLCDer who is maintenaning correctly.
And hey! Her skin looks the same...I bet!;)

ok you can have a tummy tuck, fine, but when you have loose skin on your thighs and on your upper arms, surgery on these parts are a) painful and b) very ugly scares.
Yep. Horrid. I wouldn't have it done, but as I said, I really dont think that losing it fast puts you at any more risk of saggy skin in the long run.

I think a lot of people who embark on mass weight loss, over 6stones can only see as far as losing the weight, they see a thinner person, what they dont see is that there body will be very saggy and to look good in any fitted clothes they will have to wear support garments that smooth it all out.
I agree. There is this picture in their heads which rarely matches up with reality. Maybe it happens so fast, it becomes a bit of a shock, rather than a slow and steady loser who sees it coming.
At the end of the day to stick to a diet where you give up all foods and replace them with shakes, cant be easier than sticking to healthy eating and exercise, I mean the willpower you need to stick to shakes and water is immense.
Oh goodness no! Not at all. I found it much easier. Okay, maybe both the good and the bad days were more extreme than a HE plan. The good days were fantastic :clap: The bad days were....well.....bad:(

Overall it was easy though. With my blood sugars very stable I found cravings were much fewer. It was easier not to eat anything than to just have a little. The reward from the scales was fantastic.

It's rather like giving up smoking compared to cutting down. Cutting down would be great, but hard to do. Some can do it, others find it easier to just give up.

Some (like me when I smoked), try cutting down...succeed, find it starts going back up again, try Allen Carr, try the patches, try everything else, then decide to just go cold turkey.

Of the course the diet industry is gonna say, its easier and more effective if you use our products and oh by the way we are gonna charge loads for it.
:D You ol' cynic;) When I did Cambridge, I paid £28.50 a week. Not too bad IMO. Healthy food isn't exactly cheap, but in all fairness I did probably pay out more doing CD (maybe about the same with HE and WW meetings). But it did give me my dream.

I remember saying many times, if only there was a pill that would give me everything I needed and I wouldn't have to eat. Hey presto..I found my pill:D

my beef is that not many people really try to lose weight the old fashioned way before saying they need diet products.
Agreed there :D

Im being the devils advocate or what! lol.:D
Me too. Fun innit :D

Last edited:
:D You ol' cynic;) When I did Cambridge, I paid £28.50 a week. Not too bad IMO. Healthy food isn't exactly cheap, but in all fairness I did probably pay out more doing CD (maybe about the same with HE and WW meetings). But it did give me my dream.

even tho KD you have had success with CB, you've probably been on and off shakes ever since?

I agree that there is crepey skin on your stomach no matter how much exercise, this isnt a problem, crepey skin is usuasally there unless you are very lucky when you have had children, Im not worried about that, its the overhang and I believe I will have less if I exercise from the beginning, areobic as well as weightlifting. I havent registered a loss on the scales but i sure as hell notice a difference in my clothes, my clothes feel less tight.

You know when you say smokers go cold turkey then gradually cut down they have success, you cant reaLLY COMPARE it as they dont need to go back to smoking, but as with vlcds you do need to go baxck to food. many go back into a cycle of dependance on these shakes, many are on them in some form for the rest of there lives for maintenance, as I said before I bet you have some kind of meal replacement.

lol tho kd you could argue for england!!!!!

We all have our weightloss journeys to endure, its just that I really resent many companies that make lots of money out of other peoples misery.

I do think exercise is the key, the magic key, I was very active when i was in my teens, I never ever worried about what i ate, Ive become very inactive, well anyway, i will try and post some piccies in the up and coming months. you got any pics kd??

even tho KD you have had success with CB, you've probably been on and off shakes ever since?

Nope. I don't have any. I stopped them when I finished cambridge and had moved up the plans. Did have a few again 6 months later when I gave up smoking (damage limitation), but haven't had any since then, so none for the last 20 months :clap:

I havent registered a loss on the scales but i sure as hell notice a difference in my clothes, my clothes feel less tight.

Fantastic. The scales mean nothing compared to how you feel :clap:

Maybe some are, maybe others aren't. for maintenance, as I said before I bet you have some kind of meal replacement.

Never, not Cambridge, not slimfast. I never replace a meal with a meal replacement bar, shake or anything other than good natural food. Why would I? I'm at goal, I've done the head work. I live like a normal weight person :)

lol tho kd you could argue for england!!!!!

:D That's true. You're not doing too badly yourself;)
i will try and post some piccies in the up and coming months. you got any pics kd??

Would be good to see a face to a name. My piccies are in the gallery. Click on the link under my avatar :)

Right, this is off subject but I have just looked at your gallery pics Karion and you are exactly as I imagined. Little and cute with a lovely smile!

............and falling over. I wanted it to look like I am normally :D

Anyway, thank you Barb :) Especially like the 'cute' :clap:

I wish I had more time to join in this discussion. I've read Parts I and II of the article, and will go back to Part III another day (but my boss is waiting for me, grrrr)...

I just wanted to say to GG that it can be done with healthy eating (see my ticker and wish I had more time to type more, but I'm being slave driven at the moment!!!)

Hope to be back here properly... must subscribe to thread!

I just wanted to say to GG that it can be done with healthy eating

I agree. It can :clap: I kept thinking when I was listing all the cons, that I hoped FF didn't think I thought it wasn't possible to do it that way.

Of course it is. After all, Joanne has done fabulously doing exactly that.

Was just standing up for the VLCD option :)

emotional hunger part 1 of 4

Hi Amber - please keep us posted with the rest of these articles, this one was really interesting, made loadsa sense and gave me a lot of insight into emotional eating - cheers hun - soon2bslimgirlie

wow what an amazing thread! since the original thread started over a year ago and hasnt been added to since (except by soon2bslimgirl - well done for bumping it!) i hope that amber doesnt mind but i had to go searching for the 4th installment and post it because, dont know about you lot but i couldn't be left wondering what came next! so here it is - its a biggie!

[FONT=&quot]Emotional Eating 101 (Part 4 of 4)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
by Roger Gould, M.D. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 of this series, we discussed emotional eating and food addiction—how it develops and the hope for recovery. The next logical step is to discuss what you can really do about this addiction.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Attacking The Addiction[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let me start by saying that attacking the emotional eating addiction directly is the only way that works. Trying to hold onto the emotional eating addiction and work around it never works for long.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With that said, let me briefly tell you about six different ways that people try to work around, or hold onto, their emotional eating addiction. So many of my patients follow a weight loss regimen that looks good, sounds good, and seems to work for a while, but ultimately fails. We'll take a look and see why.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You certainly know people following such regimens. Neighbor John runs five miles a day and still has a potbelly. Sister Lara goes to Weight Watchers, drops twenty pounds, and then gains it all back when her boyfriend jilts her. Uncle Ron follows the Zone Diet, although recently you noticed candy bar wrappers in his briefcase.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All these people follow weight loss methods that rely on deprivation and discipline and nicely avoid dealing with the issues that drive overeating, emotional eating and food addiction. I call such methods "the failure strategies," and if you want to avoid wasting any more of your time and energy on strategies bound to backfire, then you have to give up relying on methods like these.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Of course, everything you know about weight loss to this point in your life endorses these approaches, so it might seem odd to you to disparage them now, to reject them as doomed methods. Please notice that I'm not telling you to eat with abandon or to give up exercise—not at all! I'm simply letting you know that these approaches won't work on their own. Just remember that 99% of all diets ultimately fail.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Failure Strategies[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Failure Strategy #1: Deprive and Binge[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Almost every single diet book and diet plan leads to the deprive-and-binge approach, and so this is the most common strategy. It begins with deprivation. As you know, when you diet, you deprive yourself of what you really want, applying willpower and discipline to keep yourself away from the fridge. It's a painful and difficult thing to do, and unfortunately, the method doesn't work for long because you really don't want to deprive yourself. Eventually, your emotional eating patterns kick in, and then the diet ends. Willpower can only work for so long. Unless you are really addressing your emotional hunger and food addiction, this approach can never work.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Failure Strategy #2: Binge and Run[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
This is the approach where you allow yourself to overeat, or try to exist side by side with your addiction, but try to compensate for it with exercise. Compensating your diet with exercise is essential, but it only works if you also limit your diet and try to break your food addiction. This strategy doesn't work primarily because in order to compensate for eating excess, you have to exercise so much that you increase the risk of injury, which poses special problems if exercise is your chief weight loss method. Any time you need to stop exercising in order to heal, your weight balloons up quickly. I've seen patients in my practice who put on substantial weight after injuries and then couldn't lose it, though they had been trim athletes at one time-albeit athletes with food addiction. Also, if you continue to eat unhealthy foods in excess, you weaken your immune system no matter how much you exercise, and so the risk of illness increases, illness makes exercise difficult, and anytime the routine slackens, the weight returns.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Failure Strategy #3: Binge and Purge[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The binge and purge cycle of bulimia is a very dangerous strategy, and luckily it is normally viewed as an unhealthy approach to weight management. People can die from the electrolyte imbalance that happens with chronic purging, or they can end up with chronic esophagitis and gastritis, various forms of malnutrition and vitamin deficiency, and a secret life of agonizing shame. They appear to be thin, "together" people on the outside, but they feel like frauds on the inside. Bulimia is a very "expensive way" to control weight, and it must be given up before too much damage is done. There is no possibility for success with this strategy, but people try to hang onto their food addiction by compensating for it through purging.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Failure Strategy #4: Going Public[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
I call the fourth failure strategy "Going Public." I've seen many variations of this strategy, including losing weight for a specific event such as an upcoming wedding or family reunion, or making a public declaration that you've started a diet, or buying clothes that fit only if you lose weight, or paying to join a support group that encourages success but rejects you if you fail. There are many other ways to set yourself up to "have to" succeed, all of which lead to failure because the basic emotional eating problem is not addressed. Try as you may, you can't fool your own emotions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Failure Strategy #5: The Blame Game[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Do you curse parental genes for giving you a slow metabolism? If so, you've fallen prey to the fifth failure method-blaming the extra pounds on your metabolism. You might say that the blame game is more of a "failure attitude" than a failure strategy, but here the watchword is "failure." As long as you believe that genetics predispose you to being fat, you can tell yourself that your hunger is written "in the stars" and indulge your emotional eating habit whenever life gets difficult, doing nothing to change the underlying pattern.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have seen so many patients who have made this claim, supporting it by telling me how diligent they have been about exercising and how careful they have been about their intake. When I do a detailed inquiry about their exercise and eating habits, it turns out that they have simply been fooling themselves. One patient, Joe, was a real classic. He didn't bother to count the three beers at night or the daily trip to the ice cream store. Somehow those calories didn't count. Most of the others failed to count little things that added up, and almost all didn't exercise nearly enough to compensate for what they ate.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As long as you blame the extra pounds on a slow metabolism, you've fallen prey to another ruse-unless, of course, you've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism or take certain prescribed medications. Some medications do cause weight gain, either by changing your metabolic rate, making you retain fluids, or by affecting how your body converts calories to energy versus storing calories as fat. That's a different story. But if you don't have hypothyroidism or prescription drugs to blame, then your metabolic rate is in the normal range and you need to gain control over your eating habits in order to lose weight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It might be true that you have a metabolism that's a little faster or a bit slower than your neighbor's, and beginning at age 25 it does become slightly slower over time. It is indeed more difficult to stay thin if you have the slowest metabolism on the block or if you're well into middle age. You do need to eat less and exercise more than your neighbors do in order to stay in balance, but balancing calories in and calories burned is still the only answer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you can't quite accept the idea that you can't blame metabolism, look at the latest research showing that high-strung people stay thin not because of metabolism, but simply because they fidget more and move around more than you do and therefore, they burn more calories. The study showed that sedentary people sat 163 more minutes a day than fidgety people, who took 7000 more steps and expended 350 more calories per day-a non-rigorous form of exercise, perhaps, but one that does, nevertheless, contribute to weight loss. And so, again, metabolism alone can't be blamed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The limiting reality is that nature has built into us an extremely sensitive weight balancing system. If we stay almost perfectly attuned and responsive to our built-in biological hunger signals, we just barely maintain a healthy weight. If we override that attunement or misalign it because we eat to satisfy emotional hunger instead of biological hunger, the whole system goes out of whack.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The average person consumes 60 million calories during his or her lifetime. In order to stay at a steady weight you have to expend 60 million calories. That's the basic balance. If you make the slightest mistake in this balancing act, you immediately become overweight. For example, if you're an average man who needs 2700 calories to remain at a steady weight but you take in 2800 and only expend 2700, you will gain twelve pounds every year.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That's just an apple a day difference. If you make an even smaller error each day during your adult lifetime, you'll be 20 pounds overweight for every .001 error. It's very easy to be overweight.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Blaming metabolism instead of your eating habits is just a way to avoid taking responsibility or a way to avoid giving up your patterns.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Failure Strategy #6: Medicate the Hunger, Trick the Metabolism[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
In our culture, many seek a magic pill to dissolve cellulite, reverse weight gain, and make getting thin a breeze. This search constitutes the sixth and final failure strategy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All the pharmaceutical companies are looking for the big blockbuster solution that will control the hunger gland. The last "miracle pill" released on the market, Phen-Phen, ended up killing people, but the drug companies haven't given up since the American public would much rather take pills that kill hunger than address the emotional source of the compulsion to overeat.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Phen-Phen wasn't the first weight loss medication to endanger health. Dexedrine, a form of speed, was commonly used for weight loss but has largely been discredited. Many people who started taking Dexedrine to lose weight ended up addicted, less hungry and less dependent on food, but more dependent on the drug. Unfortunately, as the bumper stickers say, "Speed Kills." Speed increases your resting metabolic rate so that you burn more calories without having to exercise, stimulates a more rapid heart rate, and makes you sweat more. You stay up later and you have more energy to move around, but you can't use the method for long without physical damage. The speed category includes ephedra, which was a major ingredient of many herbal appetite suppressants until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned it in December 2003. (A federal judge in Utah ruled against the FDA ban in April 2005, so drugs containing ephedra could still return to the market.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The same problems exist with thyroid supplements. If your thyroid is intact, taking more to speed yourself up will work for a while, but at a cost to your natural balance.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And as long as you continue to eat too much and don't address food addiction directly, the method won't work and your health will suffer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reality Always Wins[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now you've seen that the six failure strategies don't work because they all attempt to stimulate weight loss while keeping the emotional eating option intact. When you follow one of the failure strategies, you make a hopeless bargain with yourself: "I will deprive myself for a while as long as I can go back to binging sometime. I will discipline myself to run, as long as I can eat as much as I want when I am anxious. I will risk my health and harbor a shameful secret of purging as long as I can stuff myself at dinner. I will suffer public shame in order to overeat again. I will mess up my insides with speed and attack my hunger rather than attack the sources of emotional eating. I will blame my metabolism for my weight and put myself at risk for obesity related diseases so I can eat what I want."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These strategies circumvent the reality of emotional eating. They keep the emotional eating habit alive in a rainy-day bank account in case you need it to cope with the next life stress. In a sense, when you use any of these strategies, you try to create a new alternative—don't surrender, don't attack, hope to win. Unfortunately, you can't win as long as you hold the eating remedy in reserve for difficult times, because reality guarantees that you'll backslide under stress, throw off that delicate "calories in-calories out" balance, and put the pounds right back on.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you want to control you weight for a lifetime, you do have to attack and dismantle the emotional eating habit. There is no way around this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To break the addiction to food, you will have to go through a healing process.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You will have to face down each of your sources of emotional hunger and find a way, through decisions and actions, to deal with the underlying life issues without using food to cover them up. It's not enough to simply recognize these sources. You will have to do something about them to put them to rest. You will have to include them in your conscious problem-solving mind, not stuff them down with food.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It's not something that you can do overnight. Its process you have to learn, and a life skill you have to practice.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you have become convinced that you have to address your food addiction now, here are your alternatives.[/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Find a good therapist who understands this addiction and will guide you through the healing process.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Find a support group that will tackle and keep focus on the 12 motivations for overeating, and will be sophisticated enough to help you develop new skills in living in order to master these motivations.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Try to do it yourself.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]Try to do it yourself with our MasteringFood program to help you.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&quot]Try to do it yourself with the MasteringFood program and our online counselors to help you.[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=&quot]Form your own support group online, and let the MasteringFood program become the guide and workbook for the group.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you truly want to lose weight for life, and if you really want to break food addiction, these are your logical choices. Some are easier than others. No one can tell you what's right for you and it may take some experimentation on your part to find the right approach. Nevertheless, we urge you to choose one today and begin working on it as soon as possible. No one ever regrets trying to end food addiction. They only regret giving in.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now that you've read this article and thought about it a little, it's time for you to personally evaluate how it applies to your life. Below are some questions and activities that you should answer and do before the next article becomes available. Taking these questions and activities seriously will help you get a better understanding of emotional eating.[/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Think back to a time when you tried to lose weight with one of the failure strategies. Describe the attempt in detail. Was emotional eating the main reason it was unsuccessful? If not, why didn't that strategy work?[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Assume you are going to attack your emotional eating patterns by yourself. What strategies are you going to use that you haven't tried before?[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Assume you have to choose one of the basic approaches to ending emotional eating. What are the pros and cons of each one? List them and try to come to a decision about which is best. Consider things like cost, availability, and chances for success.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for completing Emotional Eating 101. We hope you found the information and activities helpful. If you need help with emotional eating or food addiction, we are always here to help.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Roger Gould, M.D., [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the creator of Mastering Food, is commonly recognized as a pioneer and expert in the field of adult development. He developed a revolutionary, interactive approach to therapy, which has been studied by UCLA and tested on over 20,000 people. The latest study, conducted by UCLA and Kaiser Permanante, found that each of Dr. Gould's Guided Sessions are about as effective as traditional in-person therapy. According to Psychology Today, "Dr. Gould's program is the only online therapy program of its kind that is based on proven research results."[/FONT]

I have to admit that for a long time, even after I reached goal, I refused to believe I was an emotional eater.

It's amazing how much I've learnt about myself since reaching goal. What a ride it's been.:eek:

Of course, I see now that I was an emotional eater. No doubt about it. Not sure why I missed it before:confused: Guess I was thinking it would be more obvious. I would be eating when I was stressed, upset or whatever. It's more subtle than that for me.

I was thinking about strong emotions...not just feeling a need to relax, or that I had a moment to fill...or even that I the feeling of a full stomach made me feel secure.

I see more clearly now...about many things, not just food/weight related, so almost too scared to look back on this thread and see what I wrote in the past:D

Expect I was being argumentative :D

KD moves on to find another thread to read...........

I read this thread when it was originally started and found it really interesting and thought provoking. Thank you for posting the final part MM.

I can really relate to the failure strategies below - I think I am best described by "The Blame Game" - I have spent the best part of my teens and twenties using the excuses of big bones, genetics and a slow metabolism to justify my overeating, lack of exercise and escalating waistline.

I had tried numerous diets to lose weight over the years- of course the diets worked while I stuck to them, but eventually something would happen or come up and I would stray away from the diet and back to my old eating habits... the weight lost would creep back on with a bit more for good measure. My mother would always tell me she was an emotional eater it never occurred to me that I might be too! Looking back, everytime I "fell off" a diet wagon there was usually a big change or upset in my life which, with the benefit of hindsight, resulted in me forgetting the diet and turning to food to make me feel better and distract me from the underlying negative emotions I was experiencing in my life at the time. Here is just a few examples:

2002: Slimming World, start weight 13st 13lb lowest weight 12st 9lb - I started a new job which great as I hated my previous job but the new role involved lots of travelling and there was the stress of learning a new job and working with/meeting new people.
2003: Slimming World again, start weight 14st4lb lowest weight 13st 10lb. A close family member had a nervous breakdown causing immense upset throughout my close family - me, my partner and my sister and her children all had to move away as a result.
2005: healthy eating and exercise, start weight 15st 10lb, lowest weight 14st 4lb. Had a disagreement with a close friend and also moved house this year.

All the times I deviated from diets (which were working in terms of weight loss) there was never a conscious decision to stop doing them - food makes me feel nice, secure, comforted, relaxed. Whenever the going has gotten tough I have turned to food to comfort me. Then when I had lapsed off the diet, rather than admitting to myself it was what and how much I was eating I would rationalise with myself that it was down to big bones, slow metabolism and genetics :rolleyes:.

The truth is the diets I followed did work in the sense that I did lose weight - they trouble was is that whenever I am particularly emotionally vunerable my unconscious would take me by the hand and lead me to the kitchen to cut myself a slice of cake........ or 3.

From reading a lot of literature about diets, weight loss, emotional eating etc I have come to accept that I am an emotional eater and am addicted to food.

I know Cambridge SS is not for everyone but, personally, it allowed me to take a step back from my relationship with food and allowed me to examine it objectively for once. For instance while on SS and in ketosis I would sometimes get sudden desires to eat that came from no-where and felt like real hunger - except I was in ketosis and had full faith in the ability of the CD products to nourish me so I knew I was not really hungry, which allowed me to learn to distinguish between physical and emotional hunger - ie Dr Gould's real and phantom stomachs.

By the time I had finished the CD plans I had come to terms with the fact that if I allowed my emotions to control my lifestyle and diet I would put some/all of the weight back on. Ever since then I have been learning about myself, my emotions and my body in a effort to come to some kind of peace with myself so I have more control over my capacity to eat addictively and in response to emotions rather than actual physical hunger.

I do agree with Dr Gould when he says that
Unless an emotional eater finds a new way to make peace with his or her distress warnings, the unconscious compulsion to overeat will win out time and time again. It will win no matter how motivated and disciplined the dieters consider themselves. Even those who succeed in losing weight for a year or more find this strange inner opponent coming back to claim yet another victory after they hit a stressful patch in their life.

I really feel that I have made great progress both with my weight, my health and in my growth as a person in the last 18 months - however, for me the journey is not at an end. While I have made progress I know that I need to remain vigilant and self aware when it comes to emotional eating if I am to continue to be successful in maintaining

I am hoping that by making a lifelong commitment to a healthy lifestyle - by lifestyle I mean the quality and quantity of food I consume, physical exercise and my emotional and spiritual wellbeing - and by being aware of my tendency to eat emotionally I can live in my new healthy body for the rest of my life. Thats the plan anyway ;).

Like many of those who have contributed to this thread there are parts of the article which I can really identify with and parts that I don't agree with at all.

I think that even Dr Gould realises this though and covers himself towards the end of this final article when he says
evaluate how it applies to your life
No one can tell you what's right for you and it may take some experimentation on your part to find the right approach.

Well - I may not post very often but when I do I have a knack of waffling on!

These articles and comments on the thread have been really useful to me - thank you everyone for sharing :)

Ruthlet - you may not post often but boy that was a winner! Thank you. I recognised a lot of that and I hope by examining things now I'll avoid most of the pitfalls when I do end this diet. Thanks again!

no way was that waffle! that was one of the best posts i've ever read! So grateful that you chose to share so much - thank you for your honesty and insight - i wish you all the best wishes in the world with maintaining that healthy lifestyle x

That's really interesting. Thanks for posting it. Can't wait for the next lot.

Week 1-4: 17.5lbs Week 4-9: 15.5lbs
club_10_award.jpg
2_stone.jpg
slimmer_of_week.jpg
x4
slimmer_of_month_May.jpg

Hi,

just wanted to say a big thank you to Amber for originally posting this and to MM for posting the last segment. So far have read all of 1st part and half of 2nd - it's really what I needed right now. Thanks also to KD for your wonderful insights, love a good debate and you really seem to know what you're talking about - guess because you've been there and dealt with it. Thanks again everyone.

LBM

I dont know if the other parts are anywhere else, I liked this post so much I googled it and found the other 3 parts which I have yet to read link for that is here if anyone else is interested.

Link for all four parts

Sorry - Still getting used to this board - I see it has already been done - Thanks again it is very interesting

Last edited:
To be fair, although I don't necessarily agree with the phrase "diets don't work", I can see how he would perceive that. Of course diets work, otherwise we wouldn't bother with them. However, it doesn't matter how much weight we lose, there will always be that little devil on your shoulder that tells you chocolate will make you feel better when you have a fight with your boyfriend, or that you 'deserve' a plate of brie and two bottles of wine. Look at our eating habits at Christmas!!! I couldn't get the handfuls of Roses down my throat fast enough, 'because it was Christmas' :D
I honestly think emotional eating hunger will always kick in, whether you've had a bad day or you're bored or feeling rubbish, but the important thing to remember is that IT'S OK TO WANT TO EAT RUBBISH WHEN YOU FEEL RUBBISH, just don't give in to it every single time it pokes you asking for a donut :D
Keep on trucking!!

Back