Interesting article on Emotional eating

Yes, interesting article.
It ain't really Rocket Science. I think we all know that the power to achieve success with losing weight is in our heads.
For people at the other end of the weight scale - with anorexia for example it is recognised as a mental health issue.
For overweight people it is mostly recognised by the public as the "being a pig" syndrome!
How come - surely they are related.
I think the key is finding what works for you as an individual and restoring a healthy relationship with food and learning to love or at least value and accept yourself.
Good luck everyone. So many newbies and returners here in January.
It's great how we can all get this wonderful support from Minimins.
Thank you Mini, Pierce and the Mods. xx

I just printed all 4 parts off, Emotional eating is definitely something that applies to me. I will enjoy reading them at home tonight.

Dear God, emotional eater, that's me, me, me.

I suffer terribly with depression and anxiety problems and also have the added danger of an addictive personality. Food and alcohol have been my biggest vices, whenever the poor mental health is getting on top of me, food seems like my only friend. But it's not been my friend at all, it's become something I'm clung onto and ultimately expanded my waist line and adding to the psychological issues that seem to proceed the need for food.

So many times I've decided "right that's it!" and put myself on a diet, within days I'd be sneaking food in the night, ordering in takeaways when the sadness drains me of my will to take that walk or make that healthy dinner. I did successfully lose a lot of weight a couple of years ago. But in June last year, I had a full scale breakdown and the weight shot back on within months, none of my clothes fit...and here I am now, hoping to try again. I'm going to be seeing an eating disorder counsellor this time though, so I have everything crossed that this really will be that life long change I need :(

Yes, interesting article.
It ain't really Rocket Science. I think we all know that the power to achieve success with losing weight is in our heads.
For people at the other end of the weight scale - with anorexia for example it is recognised as a mental health issue.
For overweight people it is mostly recognised by the public as the "being a pig" syndrome!
How come - surely they are related.
I think the key is finding what works for you as an individual and restoring a healthy relationship with food and learning to love or at least value and accept yourself.
Good luck everyone. So many newbies and returners here in January.
It's great how we can all get this wonderful support from Minimins.
Thank you Mini, Pierce and the Mods. xx
YOU LOOK FABULOUS.

Oh thanks Last Attempt.
LL was my Last Attempt. I thought "if I don't do it this time I'll just resign myself to being fat forever."

Today we had a Live Well Work Well session at work.
The guy was telling us about healthy eating, ideal BMI, sugars and fats in foods.
He gave us each a tape measure and told us about the risks of Diabetes 2. I was quite happy measuring my waist in public - with my clothes on!
I had to smile to myself. It's not that long ago the tape measure wouldn't have gone round my middle !!!
(only I knew that).:p

Thank you Halo
Is that your beautiful baby?
:angeldevil::angel:

This article is excellent and I identify with it clearly as I am an emotional eater - what I've been trying to figure out for a long time now, is how to deal with the emotions that I cover up with food? What am I running away from?

This article is excellent and I identify with it clearly as I am an emotional eater - what I've been trying to figure out for a long time now, is how to deal with the emotions that I cover up with food? What am I running away from?
Only you can answer that, but what this article does is, is actually teach you what real hunger is, and when your mind is playing tricks.

Good luck:)

Last_Attempt said:
Only you can answer that, but what this article does is, is actually teach you what real hunger is, and when your mind is playing tricks.

Good luck:)

Hi Last_Attempt thanks for your reply. Yeah it's an excellent article, I've also found some really good podcasts on the Internet as well which made some interesting listening. My plan is that education about this whole subject will be very helpful...

Hi Last_Attempt thanks for your reply. Yeah it's an excellent article, I've also found some really good podcasts on the Internet as well which made some interesting listening. My plan is that education about this whole subject will be very helpful...
Sometimes human beings do things just for the hell of it, and emotional eating doesn't always mean their is something wrong. Just the act of fancying a bar of chocolate is emotional. What we have to do is train ourselves to the healthier option.

I've axed all sugar and fat from my diet. The only sugar and oils I now eat are what occur naturally in fish, or if its in a prepared WW meal.

My sugar has been substituted with fresh fruit, WW yoghurts and Jenier fruit teas. My treat at the end of the day is a WW hot chocolate.

I envy the people who buy the WW pizza, oven chips and deserts, but I can't, because for me eating food like that now would just be reinforcing past bad habits. I feel cured and want to remain that way. I want to eat to live, and not live to eat. I've spent my life feeling ugly and useless, but I did it all to myself and that's what hurts the most for me.

Last_Attempt said:
Sometimes human beings do things just for the hell of it, and emotional eating doesn't always mean their is something wrong. Just the act of fancying a bar of chocolate is emotional. What we have to do is train ourselves to the healthier option.

I've axed all sugar and fat from my diet. The only sugar and oils I now eat are what occur naturally in fish, or if its in a prepared WW meal.

My sugar has been substituted with fresh fruit, WW yoghurts and Jenier fruit teas. My treat at the end of the day is a WW hot chocolate.

I envy the people who buy the WW pizza, oven chips and deserts, but I can't, because for me eating food like that now would just be reinforcing past bad habits. I feel cured and want to remain that way. I want to eat to live, and not live to eat. I've spent my life feeling ugly and useless, but I did it all to myself and that's what hurts the most for me.

Hi Last_Attempt that is useful, I think I will go the whole foods route like you. I agree that convenience foods can lead me to a slippy slope too.. Perhaps if I can wean myself off the additives I will reduce my cravings as my blood sugar will be stable.. Here's hoping!! Have a good week!

Hi Last_Attempt that is useful, I think I will go the whole foods route like you. I agree that convenience foods can lead me to a slippy slope too.. Perhaps if I can wean myself off the additives I will reduce my cravings as my blood sugar will be stable.. Here's hoping!! Have a good week!
You have a good weekend too, and I have to say the weirdest thing is now standing in the cake and biscuit aisle and genuinely not wanting to buy them. They have no effect on me whatsoever.

Yes, this whole article rings true! I need to sit for a moment away to read it again as I was babysitting my nieces at the time but he has really hit the nail on the head with it!

It makes me wonder if doing weightwatchers is such a good idea, or any diet as such as he says it is just a short term solution to such a complex situation.

Im unsure where to go from reading this, a psyciatrist?

Ive previously had some Hypnotherapy for weight loss, at £70 an hour/session I came away none the wiser and still in these bad habits. Hypnotherapy has helped me before with anxiety attacks I used to have, so I know it does work with me, but maybe the hypno didnt go far enough in.

Anyway, once again thank you for posting it :) its reassuring to know that someone knows how it is and can put it into words when I cant.

This is really interesting. I need to read it through carefully and give it some thought. I hope you will share with us the other articles please.

SilverS

Yes, this whole article rings true! I need to sit for a moment away to read it again as I was babysitting my nieces at the time but he has really hit the nail on the head with it!

It makes me wonder if doing weightwatchers is such a good idea, or any diet as such as he says it is just a short term solution to such a complex situation.

Im unsure where to go from reading this, a psyciatrist?

Ive previously had some Hypnotherapy for weight loss, at £70 an hour/session I came away none the wiser and still in these bad habits. Hypnotherapy has helped me before with anxiety attacks I used to have, so I know it does work with me, but maybe the hypno didnt go far enough in.

Anyway, once again thank you for posting it :) its reassuring to know that someone knows how it is and can put it into words when I cant.
I hear what you're saying, but to lose weight you still need to diet, or other words for it could be adjust what you eat and the way that you think about food. It still boils down to diet.

When I read it, I instantly recognised the difference between hunger and cravings and also that emotional eating doesn't have to be bad things that happened in your life. Emotional eating can just be the act of fancying without real need. How many eat a bar of choccy when they're truly truly hungry? The article is liberating;) What it also taught me is, that were told poison is a treat. I now think of saturated fat as poison and will never treat anyone again to KFC/MC-Dees/Pizza Hut, or fish and chips because I'm not treating them, I'm helping to kill them. I may as well put a cigarette in their mouths and light it.

Back