Journey to a healthier me!

The first time around I did CD I felt exactly this way, so miserable. So I decided to join WW and do it that way, figuring if I stuck to it 100% I could lose 2-3lbs every week. Well when we're making food choices it doesn't always go like that and the reason I'm overweight is that I make food choices. Over a six month period I lost 9lbs in total. I decided to retry CD as I wanted to give it a real go and this time my head was ready for it and I've done much better.

I totally understand the concerns with going on and off SS and I see many maintainers doing that and it scares me. I don't want to be on and off again, but we will see.

Either way, weight loss is never easy but so very worth it. Good luck with your choice, will be interesting to see how you get on.

OK big big changes in my diet plan. I went and saw my Dietician/nutritionalist and after testing I now know my scales have not been wrong and I have been losing muscle mass over fat. :( Also my base metabolic rate (some weird breathy machine i blew into tested it) is lower than low low low. :(

Well poop. She asked me if I was starving myself (anorexic or bulimic....sheesh) and I said no that I was on a VLCD ( I did not really expect her to understand). She had a look at my shakes and was at least happy that I was not malnourished while "starving". She is not totally against VLCD's in extreme health cases. She mentioned people who were severely overweight- as in 100 or more lbs and needed surgery soon and to drop lbs quickly to make that safe. Well I only had about 60 lbs to lose to begin with. She gave me a ton of info and then left the ball in my court.

I could stick with the vlcd, risk my metabolism dropping even further and then struggle with regain as soon as I pop some food in my mouth when I am over the SS part of CD. Losing a ton of muscle and keeping fat will not be good for my metabolism. OR I can follow a diet she layed out for me... 7 meals a day between 250-300 calories per meal. She sais I will be gaining weight the first 2-3 weeks while my metabolism revs back up but she more or less swore that I would be losing up to 2 lbs a week just on the diet and could lose more with exercise.

So I have decided to go for the eating and 2 lbs a week instead of being hungry and grumpy,cold,and moody and losing 3-4 lbs a week...alot of which is the muscle that I want to keep.

I am kinda upset as I really wanted to look soooooooper sexy and hot for new years, but in the end I want how I look and feel to be for the rest of my life and not just for one night after which I fall back into old habits. I don't want life to only be "on SS" and then gaining weight back and then having to go back onto SS ( I have read alot of that happening here and kudos to the few who are or have managed to stabilize for more than a year after finishing SSing......I just can honestly say that I would most likely NOT be one of those and the word yo-yo will no longer be in my diet plans!).

I think I have made the right decision....even if I am going to gain back a whole ton of weight at the start :( .... I am not going to get on the scale until a month from now... hopefully that will get me back to where I am now but with a better body fat percentage.

What a bumpy road.... I just want to be thin and gorgeous dahling!!!! :)

So today I ATE. I also have supplements I am taking.3 alive vitamins -and 3 flax seed, borage, and fish oil mix- 3 Cla caps all taken through the day.

heres what I got to eat today!!!!

Meal 1 8 am
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup almonds
cinemon
1 cup soy milk

meal 2 10 am
250 cal mint chocolate protein bar

meal 3 12pm

Italian rice

1/2 cup brown/wild rice mix
1 cup mixed veg (zucchini, onion, red peppers,mushrooms)
1 cup Quorn tenders
1/4 cup tomato sauce

meal 4 2pm

Coconut and chocolate protein bar 250 cals

meal 5 4pm

Quorn pattie on whole grain bread w/ spinach and tomato

meal 6 6 pm

Shirataki noodle stir fry

1 cup Shirataki noodles
1 cup mixed veggies (carrots, cabbage, onions, broccoli, mushrooms and sprouts)
5 tablespoons schezuan sauce
1 cup quorn pieces

Meal 7 8pm ( have still to have this one in an hour)

Hot Chocolate protein shake

Been quite the day going from eating just shakes to now eating TONS. I also got in some exercise. 30 min swim and 30 min on my gazelle. also 30 min at the gym. I will be trying to get in 1 hour of cardio a day and working out at the gym to build back some muscle and burn more of my faty fat 3-4 times a week (alternating one week 3x and the next 4 x).

I am feeling overwhelmed, but also happy to be eating again. I will keep everyone posted. And will still be lurking in everyone journals spurring on all the successes i see.

WOW!!!!

That is really interesting to hear. I know that doing a VLCD your body is being forced into a mind ketosis and therefore should burn fat. However isnt it also true that the body will switch to the easiest energy source first - muscle??:confused:

According to your dietician that certainly seems to be the case here. I have just done 7 days ssing and my BMI is now 24.3. I was going to continue for a while to get down a bit more before adding food back in. HOWEVER - this has got me rethinking:D .

Your menu sounded yummy!!!!:D Interesting that you had cinnimon for breakfast - there was a post somewhere else about that - regulating blood sugars or something.

Great post - think I need to do some thinking myself!!!

Good luck to you!

Tasha

Tasha- The way my dietician explained to me is that no matter what, your brain NEEDS so many amount of calories in Carbs to function.. it does not get carbs from fat, but rather from breaking down glycogen stored in muscles and then eventually from breaking down the muscle itself. Less muscle in your body require less calories and further puts your body into a starvation mode so any extra calories you do get are stored right away as fat to maintain other vital organs. In starvation mode your body metabolism slows down and its harder and harder to lose weight even if only eating minimal calories a day... Your body stops heating your extremeties to preserve energy and keep vital organs warm and functioning ( and I know I was cold ALLLLLL the time)... Eventually things like skin nails and hair will slow to almost no growth ( with hair it gets thin looking as the 100 hairs that naturally fall out everyday never get replaced with new hair) after hearing the dietician mentioned all these things to me and reading about how things like the hair stuff is happening to people on here and that I was already frozen all the time.. well for me it just did not seem worth it. If I am going to go bald its going to be from coloring it to much!!! :) Having proof my metabolism was so darn low from the breath test just sealed the deal.

Also she said to go less on BMI and more on body fat. You could be 130 lbs and have a healthy BMI but still have a body full of fat or you could be the same weight and BMI and be full of lean muscle. Have more muscle...have a higher base metabolic rate... get to eat more food! :)

Gemma... if CD works for you and your goals then stick with it! I thought CD was great for reaching my goals super fast ( I had already lost 20 lbs in less than a month) I just don't want to go through this along with the health risks and then have to restrict to 1000-1500 calories AFTER the SSing and feel like food is my enemy or end up gaining a ton back and then having to go through it all again and keep feeling like a failure. How many times did I have to fight with myself and tell myself I was not really hungry when really my body WAS. I just don't want my relationship with food to be a negative one. But thats just my body on CD... Look at some of the amazing results people like Mike (ice moose) have had on this diet. Hes lost loads and kept it off! Its why I tried CD in the first place. But on average most people I read about are strugglers and restarters... "I lost 4 stone last year and put most of it back on so am ssing again..etc etc" seems much more common. Its just not the right plan for me and my long term weight, fitness, and health goals (even though I must admit I would LOVE to be the skinny maniny I want to be by January 1st)

This new eating plan is actually great for me- I have always WANTED to eat all the time and only recently when I increased portions did that become an issue for me ( snacking all day on cheese and then having 3 big meals with whine will add on the lbs...).. my dietician said some people are built to be grazers eating every 2 hours and others more bigger meal eaters eating every 4-5 hours. All depends on the individual. For me it has been fairly easy to follow eating every 2 hours as i am inclined to want to do that anyway :) ( its only day 2 so we will see) but it was tailored by my dietician with my body build and needs in mind so not sure if it would work for everyone. I already feel less fuzzy headed and am warm for the first time in 2 weeks without having to soak in a steaming hot tub! :) and I know its most likely more info than needed, but how nice to poop more than just a few pellets if at all again! :p

Funny that the Cinnamon is beneficial!!! I did not even question why I got to have it... just thought for flavor instead of sugar :) Maybe it is because its actually good for me!

3 of my meals are 1/2 cup pasta or rice (or 1-2 cups shiritaki as it has only 20 cals per 1/2 cup serving) or 2 slices of whole wheat whole grain bread
1 cup lean white meat protein (I chose quorn)
1 cup mostly green mixed veg

I can mix and match so it works out great as I have unlimited options if I want or I can just stick to basics if I am feeling like straying.

Breakfast is always 1/2 cup oats with 1/4 cup nuts and 1 cup soy milk or 1 tbls lecithin and cinnamon ( carbs to keep the brain from starving...which is actually what causes the muscle wastage.... must learn and remember that carbs are not all bad.....)

For snacks I have 250 calorie shakes or drinks that are 40% protein 40% carb and 20% fat.

I supplement with the alive vitamin (which has a crazy ton of alot of good stuff in it! http://www.naturesway.com/NaturesWay/productdetail.aspx?productid=15092

Cla (she said it would help me maintaine muscle while losing the fat)

And omega 3 6 and 9 oils all in one pill.

And of course TONS of water!!!!!

Its been pretty good sofar for me. I certainly don't feel hungry, and knowing I can eat every 2 hours is fantastic!!!!!!

Todays menu is looking like this:

8 am

1/2 cup oats
1 cup soy milk
1 tlbs lecithin

10 am

peanut butter bar

12 pm

chicken Marsala curry

1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup quorn tenders
1 cup veg ( onion, green peppers, cauliflower)
4 tablespoons tika Marsala simmer sauce

2 pm

Vanilla protein drink

4 pm

Quorn pattie with arugula and tomatoes on whole wheat bread

6 PM

Veg chilli

1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup "ground beef" quorn
1 cup chopped tomatoes green chillies and onions
2 tablespoons 5 alarm chilli spices

8 pm

hot chocolate shake

Its nice to be cooking again as well.. I really missed that. AND I am going to my fave Lebanese place again next week and get to have the rice and tuns dish as it fits into my plan!!!!! Woooooooooooooohooooooooo! :)

I am soo running on blind faith in this working at the moment... it just seems so contrary to how I would lose weight... eating this often... So obviously still have my doubts, but enjoying the food! :)

Oh and the GREATEST thing is once every 2 weeks I get to double my calories and eat more or less as much as I want (of the healthy stuff.. no big chocky attack) to sooper rev my metabolism and keep me from hitting a platue! I can't wait.

So my goals have now changed I suppose. Around 115-120 fit and healthy lbs by April instead of January. But then I will be staying at that weight forever! :)

I was also good and did my cardio today. Went for a nice long 1 hour power walk as it was so nice out and left the indoor swimming for a day when its icky and rainy out. NO weight today, but will be doing em again tomorrow. My body is not all to sore, but I am starting out fairly light. Found out that after doing weight you metabolism goes up and stays up for 39 hours post workout!!!! WOW! Cardio revs it up as well, but only for 4-6 hours...Still a boost is a boost! I like the idea of burning more calories sitting here and typing just cuz I walked earlier.

Off to clean the house up a bit and then going out to the amusement park with some friends.... Spooky haunted houses are all around for Halloween!!!!!

Tasha- The way my dietician explained to me is that no matter what, your brain NEEDS so many amount of calories in Carbs to function.. it does not get carbs from fat, but rather from breaking down glycogen stored in muscles and then eventually from breaking down the muscle itself. Less muscle in your body require less calories and further puts your body into a starvation mode so any extra calories you do get are stored right away as fat to maintain other vital organs. In starvation mode your body metabolism slows down and its harder and harder to lose weight even if only eating minimal calories a day... Your body stops heating your extremeties to preserve energy and keep vital organs warm and functioning ( and I know I was cold ALLLLLL the time)... Eventually things like skin nails and hair will slow to almost no growth ( with hair it gets thin looking as the 100 hairs that naturally fall out everyday never get replaced with new hair)

OMG.. that's all very worrying. I am bloody cold all the time, but I was told to expect it (as well as the hair loss thing) - for the reasons you state. But the rest of it is a bit worrying.

I seem to be losing weight at a good rate but I really am considerably overweight... so perhaps that's why?

Hi hun

I hope u don't mind me crashing ur thread! Firstly, I gotta say ur hair looks fab!!!!

I read ur latest posts and something has well and truly struck a chord or two with me! The fact u say that u were told u won't be hungry but ur body WAS - I feel like that all the time! More often than not, I have to nibble on chicken just to get thru the day - and I've been punishing myself stupid for being a failure again! And I'm cold!!! Brr, shiverring cold - this coming from the girl who would wear a t-shirt in the winter and refuse to put on a coat!!
I knew that we'd lose fat, water & muscle - but didn't realise the muscle loss could take over the fat loss - that's very worrying indeed!! I like the idea of changing the diet to rev up ur metabolism - ur dietician sounds like he/she knows what they're talking about!!

Anyway, sounds like u're doing muchco fabby! Well done for being soo brave and deciding to switch to a different diet.

Much love, chelle xx

Hi Abstruce

I think you have done absolutely the right thing taking the advice from your nutritionalist and starting the new plan. However, before we all freak out and worry over here in the Uk hadn't we ought to consider than abstruce was doing Cambridge Diet USA which is a different plan and I believe you are not allowed to do sole source for more than 3-4 weeks from what I have picked up from this forum.

It would be good if this could be clarified to put our minds at rest on this side of the pond.

Dizzy x

Wow Abstruse... Lots of food for thought!

I must say your meal plan sounds quite exciting!

I would love the advice of a nutritionist instead of trying to decide what is best for me based on loads of conflicting nutritional advice on tv and in books... I am also doctor phobis which doesn't really help my cause!

I am worried about destroying my metabolism- so far I have only been SSing (with one week add a meal) for seven weeks... I am now 15 stone 9 (from an original 17 stone 5). obviously the diet yields great results and losing weight makes u feel fab- but I have been somewhat concerned as to what is happening to my body whilst putting it through this starvation process.

I agree that some people have had amaaaaaazing results doing a VLCD... and I too was truly inspired by mike (icemoose). I just wish I truly knew what this diet is doing to my body!

I am considering getting to 14 stone then losing weight in a manner quite similar to the way you have been advised. I have to say that nothing compares to balanced diet and exercise! but sometimes vlcd's are a saviour!

Please... keep posting meal ideas! they sound yummilicious! :p

Good luck
From across the pond

Vicky

Hiya!

Dizzy - I think it's advised that u don't go more than 4 weeks without adding a meal on CD over here - it's in the yellow booklet. I was also told by my CDC that u shouldn't go more than a few months without adding a meal. Hope this helps xx
BBFM - I share ur concrens, I don't want to end up with a healthy BMI and still be made up of mostly fat!! I do wish there was a way of knowing for sure! xx

Much love, chelle xx

I have regularly tested my body fat ratio and it has dropped since I started LL.

I now have scales that do the BFR for me but I never used to own scales and bought a body fat monitor from Lloyd's which was only a fiver and served to calm my fears about burning muscle.

One thing that I love about this forum is the reminder that not every diet is suitable for every person. Most diets work if you stick to them but sticking to them and doing what is recommended is the difficut bit :rolleyes:

I love LL but I know that a VLCD isn't going to suit everyone. My gorgeous hubby has weight to lose and is doing it the old fashioned way through content and portion control. It suits him which is fine by me. :D

Hi all

Have looked up the Cambridge diet USA web page and the diet does run quite differently. It is web based and you don't have a CDC. It is more like slim fast in that it is sold to be a supplement for all but one meal a day and then you eat a healthy meal in addition each day. Or alternatively you can use the shakes Sole source for up to 2 weeks to kick start the diet. If you have over 30lbs to lose it seems you can sole source for longer but only under your doctors supervision.

It is definitely quite a different plan obviously I have no idea how the composition of the shakes varies but I'm sure it does due to US regulations etc.

I still hold concerns about metabolism and losing muscle mass but this has just made me realise how important it is to follow the plan including maintenance to the letter (best I can anyway) and keep a close eye of how I feel and look.

I think the nutritionist has given excellent advise and reading this I am far more motivated to make sure that I maintain my weight by a healthy lifestyle rather than dieting of the yo yo variety!!!

Definitely take notice of what the nutritionist has said all but be aware of the differences in the programmes.

Abstruce I will definitely be wanting some of those nifty scales you have this Crimbo!!

Dizzy x

I gotta say... I've just looked at the Cambridge USA site and it offers so much more advice. I guess it's because you don't have a counsellor- but how nice it is to have such a wealth of information at your fingertips!

There are also a load of resources that can be downloaded too!

I agree that a VLCD will probably slow our metabolisms, but my thinking was that I would still be getting few enough calories to make a weightloss. It was then up to me to follow the stabilisation so as to increase my metabolism back to normal in a gradual controlled way.

This worked for me. My muscle mass is above average, but then I did do toning exercises throughout my ssing period.

It was also good for me to take food out of the equation for a time.

Having said that, I have to admit that I really do feel that a VLCD is most suited to someone who has loads to lose rather than someone with just a stone or two.

abstruse's diet sounds fab. It may well not be suitable for everyone to get their heads around, but it certainly is a sensible way to go.

I'm reminded of the Rotation diet, when reading about what abstruse's dietician said. The rotation diet worked well for me. It was a set amount of calories a day which rotated from low to higher. It didn't give your body any chance to go into starvation mode. Still....couldn't have been that good, cos I still ended up overweight :( Poor dieter here, rather than a poor diet.:eek:

Funny that the Cinnamon is beneficial!!! I did not even question why I got to have it... just thought for flavor instead of sugar :) Maybe it is because its actually good for me!

Yes, cinnamon is good for us. Helps keep the blood sugar stable. I love cinnamon, but unfortunately it's not used anywhere near as much in the UK as it is in the States or Canada :( So many foods are cinnamon flavoured out there. Shame.

I supplement with the alive vitamin (which has a crazy ton of alot of good stuff in it! http://www.naturesway.com/NaturesWay/productdetail.aspx?productid=15092
I love the look of your menu. Did the dietician give you a list of foods to chose from, or anything.

I note the addition of supplements. That one always makes me smile. Sorry not teasing, but I belong to a health group of American music teachers. They always supplement with pills. Nothing wrong with that, but it seems so common out there. Do you notice this?

Coconut and chocolate protein bar 250 cals
Right! Now I'm really jealous:p Coconut and cinnamon are my two favourite flavours. Again, coconut flavoured items aren't common over here. When I went to the states and canada, I really stocked up.

Oh and the GREATEST thing is once every 2 weeks I get to double my calories and eat more or less as much as I want
Blimey! That's fab.

Right...so after all that, back to the question. Did the dietician give you a plan, or just tell you to chose healthy stuff of 6 x 250 cals a day?

Also, do you have a lot to lose as that amount of calories is a little over my maintenance allotment? I'm fascinated by this diet. It sounds a great way to go.

Hi - I'm sorry that you feel that a vlcd is not for you right now. I'd like to echo what Dizzy said and confirm that the USA version of CD is very different from the UK one. Completely separate companies and dietary formula, and I don't really know enough about the USA one to comment on it.

What I can say is that the UK CD has got carbs in it, to put you into a mild state of ketosis whereby you are burning fat and not losing muscle!

You must not SS on any vlcd for longer than 4 weeks at a time, under EU guidelines, without a GPs permission - that is why CD introduced AAM.

You should not SS with a BMI of under 25 as THIS is the time when you are at risk of losing lean muscle tissue, as you haven't got the excess body fat to burn.

I hope this puts members' minds at rest!

I also was under the impression that you couldn't damage your metabolism by losing weight. It would just mean that as you get lighter, you need fewer calories to keep you going.

I'm so confused about this metabolism thing. My (old) counsellor said that the whole metabolism thing slowing down was rubbish. He said that your metabolism just matches your weight - so when you lose weight (say to 11 stone) you then have the metabolism of an 11 stone person and the mistake people make is that they eat as though they still had the metabolism of a much larger person.

It does seem to be, however, that at least one of the things my (old) counsellor told me weren't exactly in line even with LL's own medical team. So I don't know who or what to believe. Will have to do some research into this myself I think.

I'm so confused about this metabolism thing. My (old) counsellor said that the whole metabolism thing slowing down was rubbish. He said that your metabolism just matches your weight - so when you lose weight (say to 11 stone) you then have the metabolism of an 11 stone person and the mistake people make is that they eat as though they still had the metabolism of a much larger person.

That's what I was told too, hun!

It does make sense to me!

Hey guys!

Wow what a flurry of comments! :)

I do think the CDs are different from the UK to the US... we have no Tetras and very limitied flavor options. We get sent a booklet with the shakes and thats about it.

Taking all the shakes is about 500 cals a day and 100% of the RDA recomended vits and protien.

I like that this new plan I have was made just for me. It suits me perfect and I highly agree that everyone has what works for them.

As for seeing the doctor or Nutritionalist, I think the later would be the way to go. Does the Health care system in the UK cover that? I know mine covers it, but I have to pay for my own insurance here in the states and then pay a small Co- pay for every visit I make. But its only a few $.

Like I said before everyone is different and for some its easier to lose the weight they want and then regulate and get back a healthy body fat/muscle ratio with the motivation of already looking how they want.

I have decided that being my ideal weight as fast as possible is not worth me being to tired, cold, or grumpy ( or growing a fine thin hair all over my body.....erm... never heard anyone mention that, but my Diet lady said it was a side effect of VLCDs that did not go away after eating again????? Really I have never herd of that, but it freaked me out- maybe she was just working at my vanity to get me to eat healthier?) to get through life happily now. But again thats just me!!!!

Went to the Gym this morning already and got pumped!!!Going for a long drive into the Mts and then a 5 mile hike today! Its flat and around a lake. I made up all my cooked food last night and am bringing my little bento style lunch box and a thermos for the shakes with me!

todays menu is as follows ( minus vitamins they are the same everyday)

8am
1/2 cup oats
cinimon
1 tlbsp lecithin
1 cup rice dream milk

10 am

1 Mint chocky bar

12 am

Pad thai

1 cup Fettucini style shiritaki noodles
2 wild mexican shrimp
1/2 cup quorn tenders
1 cup mixed veg (scallions, sprouts, carrot, onion)
3 talble spoons Pad Thai simmer sauce
2 chopped peanuts ( I cut down on the amount of sauce and added the nuts)
1 slice of lime squeezed over t he top

2 pm

Vanilla Shake

4pm

4 Tofurky slices on whole grain bread with onion tomato and micro greans

6 pm ( plan on eating out somewhere post hike... will let yall know tomorrow what I get... am taking along a extra bar just in case I can't find anything)

8pm

Hot chocholate shake

I am off to get ready. What ever way everyone decides to lose thier lbs I wish em all the bestest of luck, success, and health!

Hi Abstruce

So glad it's going so well and you have so much energy to do ALL that exercise!!!!

The menu looks so delicicious I speed read through it so as not to get too jealous.

Have a good weekend.

Dizzy x

The last I heard about the metabolism thingy is that it does slow, but only temporarily. It'll switch back to normal within days? Weeks? months? (can't remember) of normal eating, but I do think the latest research agrees that lowering calories reduces your metabolism.

Regardless....if it increases again when you've finished SS. What does is matter? (just trying to reassure VLCDers here:rolleyes:)

Anyway, Abstruce, I really think that you're doing what's best for you and found it an interesting read.

Really hoping you'll tell us more. Did you get a list? Are you chosing your own foods?

Back