Kate - goodbye JUDDDD

Wahey! 2.5lb gone this week - that makes a total of 8 pounds. Right now I'm starving - better get some breakfast as I'm teaching at 10. It's a bad idea to eat solid food this soon before exercise, so a giant tetra coffee it is!

I'm up to 9lb lost already, and I feel great! I can't believe it's going so quickly, really. I know it might be 'slow' compared to VLCD losses but it's plenty fast enough for me and I can actually see and feel the results (I remember two years ago when I was over 18 stone - my first 9lb barely made a dent - so this is a fantastic feeling).

I have a great lentil soup recipe and I was inspired to make some yesterday after all the talk of no points soups on the WW forum. I don't follow WW, but out of interest I've worked out the points, and it turns out that a mug of my lentil soup contains...wait for it...ONE POINT (that's 90 cals, 3.8g protein, 16g carbs, 1.3g fat and 4.3g fibre, fact fans). Hmm! It's really filling and tasty, too. So today's lunch = big mug of soup and some brown bread, which feels like a treat and also means I can have a great big dinner and still keep my 1000 calorie deficit for the day!

I went to a friend's house last night, and she gave me a pair of jeans. They're brand new - a Christmas present from a well-meaning relative who saw a big "XXL" label and thought they would be perfect for her (charming!).

Well, I'm not sure exactly on what planet these jeans would be XXL. They're actually a size 12. She has no plans to lose weight, but she figured they would fit me. I can get them on (yeehaw!) but I wouldn't dare fasten them for fear of breaking the zip.

So these have become my goal jeans. If I can get them on and comfortably fastened (with a fitted tee, not a baggy top to hide overhanging blubber :D) I will be a very happy chick!

Sounds like a plan! I have a pair of goal jeans (my sister gave them to me, i can remember her buying em when i was at my goal, and they were too big for me, now they're too big for her. Grrrrrrr!), but they are currently looking like 'highly unlikely' jeans! They will fit me by summer though!

I've steered clear of jeans for so long - I didn't think I'd ever own another pair (nothing to do with weight, just the fact that I never really owned a flattering pair of jeans even when I was a size 12) but I'm really warming to these. Apart from the currently gaping zip, they're really flattering (especially to the bum and thighs).

As I've said before, I really do love graphing. Looking at my 'calories saved' graph, which I've now been filling in for 7 days, I've saved 8200 calories in the last week. That equates to 2.3lb of fat, and I haven't felt even remotely deprived or hungry. The scales show that this is pretty much correct, and again I am looking forward to updating the 'weight loss' graph on Wednesday.

Exercise is my best friend. I do about 10 hours of high intensity cardio exercise per week plus about an hour each of strength and flexibility work (not enough strength or flexibility training, not even close, but I'm working on it).

As of Wednesday, though, it'll be down to 8 hours of cardio so I will be able to fit more strength and flexibility in. However, it means I will have about 800 fewer calories to spare each week so I will have to account for this. Since I went over my planned 7000 calorie deficit this week by 1200 calories, this shouldn't be an issue.

I'll try the 'goal jeans' on again on Wednesday and see how much closer they are to fitting :)

Well, I had a day off yesterday. I was taken out for the evening - we went for Chinese food, and then to see The Pursuit Of Happyness (if you haven't seen it and you intend to do so - take tissues and be prepared to cry like a baby). We had a lovely evening, and I had whatever I felt like eating, with the obvious caveat that it's back to watching the calories today.

I had 1200 calories spare after last week, so not earning any extra yesterday didn't matter (I didn't save any, but I didn't go too overboard so my balance for yesterday was pretty much zero).

Over the last 10 days my average deficit is still a bit over 1000 calories so I think I'm winning!

I'm not planning to have such an indulgent day off every week. This week I will be out for a meal on either Saturday or Sunday night but it will be something a little healthier!

Well, it's two weeks to my first mini-goal, a charity fitness event. I should have lost a further 4lb by then which would take my total loss to one stone exactly. That would be half a pound more than my original mini-goal! After that I have 5 weeks until the next mini-goal, which was to lose a further 7lb. I'm now hoping for 10 in those 5 weeks because I know I can do it.

I'm getting a lot of comments now - people are really noticing the difference. I'm having to give some of my trousers to charity as I can't teach in them any more because only the mic belt holds them up.

Fortunately I have plenty of smaller trousers ready to wear!

Kate I need your advice re exercise. I do an hour's cardio every day. Weights alternate days and sit ups/abdominal exercises daily. I am stuck at size 16 and can't move. My menstral cycle has changed radically and still doing so - 3 days different every month ( I lost 5 stone last year) I still need to lose 60lbs to have a BMI of 23 and am 5ft 6. Physically I am much fitter and can feel my stomach muscles (WOW) but need help. My diet has lapsed a bit lately due to tiredness and fedup ness. What can I do????? (Mini says you are an expert!!!!)

What kind of cardio are you doing? What diet are you following? What is your weights regime (just approximately)?

My weigh in day isn't until tomorrow but it looks like I have lost another 2lb this week. My calorie graph doesn't look all that hot but since I do underestimate my calories burned (far better to underestimate than overestimate) I've managed to pleasantly surprise myself - I was expecting just 1lb off this week.

The clothing exodus continues. However, I'm steering clear of buying ANY new clothes because I have plenty of small stuff I am beginning to get into, and it's all brand new even if it was bought last year (I knew I'd lose the last bit of weight eventually so I bought a bunch of stuff in anticipation). I've also been given a lovely pair of mid-calf leggings and matching racer back top for teaching in. They're way more revealing than anything else I wear to teach, but I'm actually at a point where I could walk into the gym wearing them without feeling self conscious (I tend towards tight tops and baggy bottoms because I like the 'street' look and because I teach dance and Body Combat, both of which suit that look, but also because my thighs are of the large variety).

I went to visit a friend of mine - another instructor whom I hadn't seen in several weeks and who is very supportive of my efforts to lose weight as she herself is trying to GAIN weight and having a very hard time of it. I keep telling her she can have my extra chub and then we'd both be happy. Anyway, she was gobsmacked and full of compliments. I can't believe that 10lb makes this much difference (I'm still remembering how little difference 10lb made when I weighed over 18 stone). Actually I suppose it's 12lb now but I saw her on Friday so it was still more like 10 :D

I do crosstrainer or treadmill. Usually hill climb, interval etc. My weights regime is arms, legs weights toning (gym guy devized it) . HTH :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sorry, I need a little more info. How long do you spend doing weights on those alternate days? Are you lifting heavy weights/low reps or light weights/lots of reps? When did you last change your routine? And what sort of intensity do you work at on the treadmill/crosstrainer? Do you run or walk? Also, are you spending an hour on the treadmill every day because you really enjoy it, or because you think you should (because an hour of intense cardio a day is a lot)?

What diet are you following?

Light weights 4kg on arms lots of reps, I enjoy my cardio. I walk at 7km per hr on the treadmill and run but do not like that so much! Crosstrainer at an intensity of 3 going up to 12 on the interval sessions. I last had my programme changed 6-7 weeks ago. I am calorie counting and using cd packs. Thanks!

I'd probably increase your weights, add an extra resistance session per week and reduce the amount of cardio you do (have a rest day - your muscles need a day off to repair - this is when you get all the growth). I'd also vary your cardio a lot more.

Obviously this is only very general advice as you're not giving me much to go on, I have no idea about your diet (see questions below) and I haven't met you personally or done any kind of lifestyle and fitness assessment, but I'd advise any of my clients to have a rest day, and to vary their cardio - could you substitute one or two of those sessions for a group class like aerobics, circuits or Body Combat (depending on your calorie intake)? Your muscles get used to doing the same thing all the time and they get very efficient at it, meaning that you can do the same amount of work with less effort. This is why you must keep upping your weights and doing different types of cardio if you want to keep getting a training effect.

Further questions: you say you are counting calories and using CD packs - what is your calorie intake? And how long are you spending on weights? Are you low carbing or just calorie counting?

D_Q, thanks for that! You look like you're doing pretty darn well yourself :)

Well, here we are again - Weigh In Day tomorrow. I haven't been particularly good this week - sure, overall there's a calorie deficit, but I had the weekend off as I had various social events. Not hoping for a great loss this week, but a pound will do nicely (there's enough of a calorie deficit for that, so here's hoping). I'll find out tomorrow. As long as my total loss is at least 13.5lb by the weekend I'm on target. It's TOTM so I have The Bloat and am currently sitting tight at 2lb over what I was last week, but I'm drinking plenty of water in the hope it will all come off again. My fingers and toes are like puffy sausages. They're not as bad as they were yesterday, fortunately.

On a side note to those concerned: 'please' and 'thank you' are like the classic little black dress - they never go out of fashion.

Well, the good news is that the water weight has vanished, and the not-so-good news is that no further weight has gone. This strikes me as odd, since I should have lost another pound, but I'll live. Tomorrow should kick start next week's loss big time - I'm doing a 10 hour Body Combat marathon for charity!

However, Sunday is the first day of Chinese New Year so while I'll have an enormous calorie deficit for Saturday - it'll be too big to go on my graph - Sunday will balance it out a little. I also have another mini-goal (how I love mini-goals - they keep me focused): I have a nice red outfit that I have never worn. I saw it in TK Maxx ages ago and bought it there and then. They only had one, so I had no choice about the size (a large size 12). It's gorgeous but it's always been too small for me. Anyway, I'd like to be able to wear it in time for Lantern Festival (4th March). I can already get it on and zipped up - it's only a few pounds away from being wearable while sitting down!

It's been pretty much impossible to log my calories over the last few days because I've been away from home and eating out and stuff (and because I've no idea how many calories I burned on Saturday but I can safely say it was A LOT). I can't trust the scales either as they are all over the place, so I'm going to log 0 calories for the last few days and make a fresh start today. My weigh in tomorrow may be unimpressive, too, since my body hasn't yet recovered from the onslaught, but I don't really care. I've achieved what is probably one of the most impressive things I'll ever do physically, and I do love my body for what it's capable of. I'd like it a bit slimmer, but that's never been the be all and end all for me.

Scared to even think about 1 hour of body combat let alone 10. Must be the equivalent to running a marathon. Well done you for getting through it.

Back