So what's your current incentive and do we always need one?

Wow that is an incentive :)

Hehehe I know I can't wait for it. I seem to always need a good incentive to want to lose the weight and need something to look forward to xxx

I have a really bad knee and have been told if I was 60 it would be getting replaced, so my incentive is to loose weight to stop that hurting( and it hurts all the time !)

samsmum1 said:
Aw bless your OH he sounds lovely! Mine just looks me up and down and calls me a fat b***tard and says 'you,ll never lose weight' You,d think that,d fire me up to to think' I,ll show you!' but so far.....Never mind my class re-opens on Tuesday and my little boy starts nursery so no more hissy fits in class! Yay!
Sal x

That's really out of order :(

Aw bless your OH he sounds lovely! Mine just looks me up and down and calls me a fat b***tard and says 'you,ll never lose weight' You,d think that,d fire me up to to think' I,ll show you!' but so far.....Never mind my class re-opens on Tuesday and my little boy starts nursery so no more hissy fits in class! Yay!
Sal x

Can I just ask why you're with someone who speaks to you like that? That is so out of order it's disgusting! No one deserves to be spoken to like that, you deserve better!

I think it can sometimes be counterproductive to have a specific incentive, eg to lose weight for a wedding or a holiday, because once the wedding or holiday is over, then the incentive has gone. I decided to lose weight this time (and hopefully the last :eek:) because my legs were rubbing together, I was breathless a lot of the time, my ankles would swell like balloons at night etc etc In short, I was really unhealthy and also, was finding it increasingly difficult to buy clothes in the high street. I remember going into BHS to buy a top, and the size 22 just wouldn't fit. The only high street shop that catered for my size was Evans, and it was flipping expensive for the quality of clothes!

I have lost weight before with an incentive/date in mind which was my sisters wedding. I lost 4.5 stone but I have put all but a stone of it back on! I just want to be able to fit back into my nice clothes again and to start feeling more confident about me no matter what size or shape I am, which I currently find really hard.

I don't know - I can see where people are coming from when they say that slimming for a specific event/time has subsequently led to the weight creeping back on. Personally, I am a very goal-focused person and always need a specific target or end-product in mind, whether it is for how many tasks I accomplish in a day, or how many minutes I run for, or how much weight loss by when. Without something specific to work towards I tend to flounder; in 2012 I started SW and lost 40lb in 6 months, before a family holiday. In the second half of the year I decided to relax a bit and not put too much pressure on myself as I had a lot going on in other aspects of my life. I didn't loosen the reins too much and so I didn't gain anything, but I have definitely floundered.

With that in mind I have lots of mini goals for this year - in 2 weeks we are catching up with friends we haven't seen for 2 years; a ball in March; trip home to Australia in April; my 30th in June; half marathon in December. Hopefully with all these incentives I'll get back on the SW wagon properly!

Tracy831 said:
Nettie you shouldn't be so hard on yourself :)

You're not the only person to say that lol x

I dont think it sounds harsh at all Jezzi - we all have our reasons/incentives for losing. My long term aim is to keep the weight off as I feel so much healthier and im hoping it will help my arthritis. My short term incentive is my holiday, as I too am sick of not being able to wear skirts etc for the rubbing legs thing. The summer is the worst time when its hot and sticky, so I know where others are coming from on this point.

Also I REFUSE to buy the next size up clothes as I have lots in my wardrobe that will fit once I lose and theyre practically brand new ive just "outgrown" them

Haha

I have my sisters 21st party to go to next Saturday and I have a dress I brought ages ago I really want to wear. I fit into it but look gross in it. Hoping I look less gross by next week. Am preparing to go and buy some hold your stomach in knickers too x x x

I did this when I was a lot younger and then a couple of years ago thought F*** it. As a size 20 I learnt to scuba dive, wore bikinis, went to festivals, went clubbing, travelled abroad alone. Never did I feel like I shouldn't be doing it because I was too fat.

LOVE this!

I always give myself incentives...although it seems that they don't really work...they did for my wedding due to the pictures, but every holiday since then, i say i will lose x by x and it hasn't happened yet!
Hopefully this year will be better xx

Texty and Mrs am so totally jealous of your Mexico trips :)

p.s i did manage to stay the same for the last month though, without being on plan due to various family things so something must have sunk in! :p

Aww hi pixie long time no hear!! Glad your ok and well done on your STS thats fantastic. I lost 1.5 xmas week, gained 1 this week so over the hols a total loss of 0.5 so im happy, just need the bum in gear now to shift the next 14 x

I don't really do incentives and goals because as others have said, I would start eating 'normally' again after it had been and gone, and then I'd put weight back on! So I just plod on :) I've been big since I was about 10 so just really wanting to change my eating habits for life and not be overweight anymore. It will just feel amazing to be a normal size and have normal eating patterns rather than eating crap and bingeing all the time

Aww hi pixie long time no hear!! Glad your ok and well done on your STS thats fantastic. I lost 1.5 xmas week, gained 1 this week so over the hols a total loss of 0.5 so im happy, just need the bum in gear now to shift the next 14 x
Aw hello little ms texy :wave:
How are you doing hunny? fab job losing over crimbo and ny, good for you *gets the pompoms out*
I'm trying to take it in half stone increments...but my mind does have a tendancy to run away from me lol! xx

I think it depends on what your goal is tbh.

In my case - I really can't do what I want until I lose the weight, it's that simple. I can't go on and live my life because until I have a family I won't be truly happy.

I don't plan to stop SW when I have achieved my goal though, one of the reasons I decided on it was because I could carry on with it once I was pregnant and beyond. So my incentives will be adjusted as I go. Once I achieve one goal, on to the next one.

When I'm where I want to be my last goal will be very simple. To stay healthy for the rest of my life.

Sal x

The only thing that would fire me up to do is kick him out!

Mine just looks me up and down and calls me a fat b***tard and says 'you,ll never lose weight' You,d think that,d fire me up to to think' I,ll show you!' but so far.....Never mind my class re-opens on Tuesday and my little boy starts nursery so no more hissy fits in class! Yay!
Sal x

Aww this is sad to read, i'm sorry you don't get the support you need.

Comments like that can go either way, I know as I had someone like that in my life once, you either think "ok your proberbly right" because your confidence has been battered by these sort of comments, or you can think right i'll show him and lose weight and kick his ass to the curb.

I'm sure getting back to class will give you the inspiration/support you need and the weight loss will give you back some confidence to deal with these sort of comments.

Tbh it sounds like he's the one with the issues.

Good luck hun :) x

Back