Cruise PP Toffee Muffins

I managed to get some of the Tesco value low fat cocoa which is a bit elusive (I bought two at the time, but use so little it lasts ages)! It comes in a box and I think you will only find it in great big branches of Tesco.

Scoop... Vicky found it! I told her to put it on Ebay with a massive reserve price! haaaaa!

1 teaspoon of 11% fat = 1 tolerated... 2 allowed per day if not in a stall!

Something weird has started happening to my muffins - the wheatbran seems to rise to the top after they go in the silicone cases, so i get like a line through the middle with oatbran below and wheatbran above. It's not really a problem, I'd just like them to be a bit more even. Has anyone else found this and how can I fix it? I've no idea what I'm doing differently, but there must be something...

That's odd, Em. I don't think I've ever experienced that before. Are you doing something differently? Maybe not mixing up enough? I use an electric whisk and make sure it's really well blended. Or maybe you're leaving it to stand a little while before pouring it into the silicone cases, so the lighter wheatbran has a chance to rise to the top?

Emma, sounds like your mix is really quite liquid. Weren't you substituting the dried milk with 'wet' skimmed milk - I think there is your explanation. You're taking out a 'dry' ingredient and replacing it with a 'wet' one. If you leave out the milk powder you might have to reduce the amount of egg or yoghurt to get a less liquid mixture.

nope, i've only made these with the milk powder. Will try reducing my spoons of quark as i've perhaps been getting more generous with these and will make sure i mix pour and cook as quickly as possible in my next batch... very odd though!

Really loved these! Made them into cupcakes (12) and I did separate the eggs (but then had some that were totally airy like Yorkshire puddings). Making another batch just now and will do as instructed and report back if there's a huge difference :)

Thanks Dukandebut!!

PS - family totally loved them too and that's why they're already gone! My darling daughter keeps asking for them as her school snack... need to make extra batches, me thinks :)

Here is general nutritional info, if anyone is interested (I enter food in myfitnesspal.com):

1/12 of recipe - so one cupcake (can adjust slightly lower if used medium eggs as I am doing today - this was prepared with "large" eggs in recipe) =
  • 62 calories
  • 5g carbs
  • 2g fat
  • 4g protein
  • As for oatbran allowance, its saying 1.43 teaspoons roughly, but we know you can have 1/2 of full recipe - that means 6 cupcakes allowed if you're so inclined!

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed them, Jess! I've just had one for breakfast this morning for the first time in ages.

Be careful not to overdo them, though. I hadn't realised when I first posted them that they contain probably too big a portion of things like skimmed milk powder. Your idea of eating less than the allowed daily ration sounds like a good one, but you might want to either stop them or cut down on them if you find that they make you stall.

But yes, they do taste really good! :)

Glad you enjoyed them, Jess! I've just had one for breakfast this morning for the first time in ages.

Be careful not to overdo them, though. I hadn't realised when I first posted them that they contain probably too big a portion of things like skimmed milk powder. Your idea of eating less than the allowed daily ration sounds like a good one, but you might want to either stop them or cut down on them if you find that they make you stall.

But yes, they do taste really good! :)
I know this may shock, but I actually only have one a day! Otherwise I add too many calories/carbs getting in my oatbran. Think I'll combine this with the oatmeal-like cookies to get my oatbran as I can use as little as oatbran as I need to get the rest of my daily allowance :)

I know this may shock, but I actually only have one a day! Otherwise I add too many calories/carbs getting in my oatbran. Think I'll combine this with the oatmeal-like cookies to get my oatbran as I can use as little as oatbran as I need to get the rest of my daily allowance :)

No, I think that's a great idea, Jess. In fact, I probably should adopt it myself. Not sure how good my willpower is, though - knowing that there are some in the fridge awaiting being scoffed. :eek::D

Hiya quick question, i have made muffins following the recipe already on the recipe thread and found them quite wet which i didnt like, are these the same consistancy? how can i make them a bit dryer? and... when you say a tbspn of quark do you do a heaped spoon or flat? thanks

Hiya quick question, i have made muffins following the recipe already on the recipe thread and found them quite wet which i didnt like, are these the same consistancy? how can i make them a bit dryer? and... when you say a tbspn of quark do you do a heaped spoon or flat? thanks

Hi, jezzebell.

The consistency is a bit...erm...stodgy, I'm afraid! :eek: It's hard to make a Dukan-friendly cake-like texture and this was the nearest I've got so far. In fact, in order to make the recipe more Dukan-friendly, I now use only 4 tblsp of skimmed milk powder instead of 6 - and that makes it even more soggy, alas. It is still pretty "cakey", though.

Maybe you could experiment with 1 less egg and/or less toffee yoghurt or quark? I think that Mouse's Victoria sponge recipe might be less stodgy than this, but I haven't tried it yet so I can't say for sure. (Mouse's recipe is in this section if you want to give it a go.)

If you do come up with a less soggy version, please let us know.

For the Quark, I use what I would describe as a gently rounded tblsp-full. Mind you, when I'm in a hurry, I just scoop up a splodge of it! :eek::D

Hi ladies (and Jack... sorry!) - I have now done this two different ways. I quite like the stodgy way as it feels very substantial. But the first way was much lighter and doughy-ier (now, there's a word!). Anyhoo... the lighter way was a result of whipping egg whites to hard and folding gently in right before scooping in cupcake molds. They looked FAB the minute they came out but of course deflated. In the end though - still more "cake-like" than the non-egg white version.

Just my 2 cents...

PS - On the 2nd time (wetter one) - I did bake longer and they're really not that bad. Hubby liked these too :)

Last edited:
I just made a wheatbran free version of these (mainly because I haven't trekked to a health food shop yet). So I reduced the quantity of all the other ingredients by a third to compensate.

They look a bit odd but they taste fine and make a lovely change to galettes or oatbran stirred into yogurt.

Next time I'm going to cook them on a lower temp to see if I can get the baked consistency slightly more solid.

Thanks for the recipe. :)

Back