£22.30

Copyright belongs to Slimming World.

Sorry, but I have had to delete this post and the others as you do not have permission from Slimming World to copy this information directly from their site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread Charlotte x ~ I regularly go to Sainsburys and Tesco when they are marking their fresh food down ~ I go to Sburys around 6pm-ish and get tons of fruit and veg for 10p or so. Tesco seem to mark the stuff down around 5pm-ish and then again at 8pm. Some of the bargains I have got in the past were fantastic ~ a loaf of bread for 35p, 6 salmon fillets (which were £8) for £2.35, chicken slices for 75p, ham for 50p, fresh turkey strips for £1.20 and so on. I freeze a lot of the items (bread, meat, etc) and it really does save me a fortune.

Great thread Charlotte x ~ I regularly go to Sainsburys and Tesco when they are marking their fresh food down ~ I go to Sburys around 6pm-ish and get tons of fruit and veg for 10p or so. Tesco seem to mark the stuff down around 5pm-ish and then again at 8pm. Some of the bargains I have got in the past were fantastic ~ a loaf of bread for 35p, 6 salmon fillets (which were £8) for £2.35, chicken slices for 75p, ham for 50p, fresh turkey strips for £1.20 and so on. I freeze a lot of the items (bread, meat, etc) and it really does save me a fortune.

Great idea!

Yikes that's a challenge, but one i know you'll kick ass in honey! Pasta pasta pasta...and beans! Have a good few days xxxx

Glad I found this post as I am always on a tight food budget. Added challenge too as other half is trying to put weight on so not only do I have to cook him yummy fattening things that I can't have but have to buy more food. Some great ideas on here though, thanks :D

me being a silly women and not thinking of copyright laws i copy and pasted the food diary off slimming world which i do appoligise for, but if you sign onto slimmingworld site go into the student bit and there is a food list on a budget it it even gives you a weeks planner and weeks shopping list which will cost you just over 20-00. hope this helps someone out. i like the way they put it as student and help them out but what about us mums most of the time we strugle more then a student!!!

Great thread as my oh has just been layed off off so we are on a tight budget full stop for a while so its gonna be tesco all the way for a bit but only because i can collect clubcard points ;) as they say every little helps lol

Last edited:
I like the "hard up club" and I'd like to join! Something I do find, doing my shopping online, the delivery costs about £5, but I save that in fuel and walking round going, oh yeah I could do with that... and before you know it I've added £20 to the bill on cr*p I don't need!

I always shop online with asda and use codes for free delivery My usual spend is £60 a week and thats for 5 of us a cooked meal every day and bits for lunch boxes
I then just top up during the week on milk, bread etc .. :)

my biggest downfall is nipping to tescos for 'something for tea' when ive forgot to pull something out of the freezer £60 later ive bought allsorts of crap

Can I join too??!

I really need to start cutting my food bill. It's not easy as I don't drive and live miles away from any shops other then the co-op (mega expensive, try not to shop there) and tesco where I get home delivery.

I also find it hard as there are 7 of us, five growing children (who all eat loads!) including my baby son who eats every few hours (yes, and at night) due to a genetic condition meaning he lives off his last meal and can't break down fat so is carb/sugar dependent. My hubby is fussy too, needs meat and is very 'light/underweight' for his height so pasta days etc doesn't sit well with him as he's not a fan.

I also love cooking :eek:

This weeks shopping has cost me £180 :eek::eek: although that does include 4 packs of nappies and detergents etc too.

Nappies etc do add up. Last week i spent 120(ish) of which £50 was on fruit and veg and meat! We don't have lidl, aldi, morrisons or asda that close, so it's tesco sainsbury or waitrose for me!

Another cheap meal, and one i love, as does the OH (Shocking!) is vegetable paella. unlike vegetable rice, this comes out quite gooey and stodgy. and you don't need alot to fill you up, trust me.

Serves 2

1 small onion finely chopped,
1 courgette chopped,
1 pepper chopped,
1 clove garlic crushed,
2 tomatoes chopped,
4oz rice (i use basmati)
500ml stock,
6 mushrooms quartered,
4 tbsp frozen peas,
56g finely grated cheese.

These are nearly all things i have lurking in the fridge or somewhere.

fry onion in fry lite for 2-3 mins

add garlic peppers and courgette, fry for further 5 mins

add rice (dry) and stir for about 30 seconds, add stock and tomatoes, reduce heat, cover and cook for 15 mins

add mushrooms and peas, cover and cook for further 10 mins.

serve covered with grated cheese.

That veg paella sounds lovely. Another great idea for using up all the "bits" left in the fridge.

You could use the same idea but add curry powder to give it another twist.

Was going to go shopping tomorrow but as weather nice done it today instead and had a really good shop for my £72.00. I have bought:

Asda

toilet rolls 5.00
shower gel 4 for 3.00
3ltrs of squash 1.00
shampoo 2 for 2.00
sanex deoderant 2 for 2.00
1/2 fat creme freche .79
beansprouts .50
knorr stock cubes 2 for 2.56
dry mustard powder .97
stir fry veg .98
small natural yogurt .39
five spice 1.58
passatta .39
egg noodles 1.00
strawberries 1.00
total spend at Asda £23.16

Lidl
3 x chopped tomates 1.05
can pineapple .64
large pink salmon 1.50
2 x pasta 1.88
2 x mushrooms 1.88
half fat cheese 1.25
apples 1.69
corned beef .99
roast ham 1.99
bananas 1.19
satsumas 1.49
tagliatelle .95
3 red peppers .60
cucumber .29
loose apples .66
lettuce .39

Total spend at Lidl £18.44

Netto

20 bottles of lemonade 3.60

Total spend at Netto £3.60

Farmfoods

Smoked haddock
40 chicken filletts
cooked chicken strips
6 x 2ltrs milk
Total spend at Farmfoods £15.45

Butchers

500g Extra lean minced beef
500g Extra lean minced lamb

Total spend at butchers £5.68

Total spend for the week £66.33

Main meals for the week are

Monday - macaroni cheese and salad
Tuesday - Chicken with parsley mash
Wednesday - Lasagne and salad
Thursday - meat balls and pasta with salad
Friday - sweet and sour chicken with stir fry veg and noodles
Saturday - smoked haddock and pasta bake with salad
Sunday - chicken biriyani with rice and salad

Will be spending the £5.33 left over on cereal and rolls later in the week. Job done!

I dont know if I should mention this on here or not but the forum on moneysavingexpert has a fantastic thread on old fashioned money saving where loads of people shop to low and sometimes meagre budgets. Their menus and ideas are worth checking out.

Another thing I have used for years are the Eco washing balls by Eco zone. They do cost £34 for a box of 3 but Ive been using them for nearly 4 years and not had to buy washing powder since. I have a mucky 17 year old footballer and they work great. I have heard that Lakeland sell a box of 2 for £10 but I believe the results from these arent as good as the more expensive ones. They are worth saving up for. The only thing I do every so often is use fabric conditioner, more for the smell than anything else.

Another thing I have used for years are the Eco washing balls by Eco zone. They do cost £34 for a box of 3 but Ive been using them for nearly 4 years and not had to buy washing powder since.

Thats a good saving on washing powder if they work, where do you buy the Eco ones from?

Back