Akeelah and the Bee

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DQ, 19 November 2006 Social URL.

1. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

Just watched this film with my girls and totally recommend it!! No sex, violence but such a positive message :cool:

Plot Summary
    Eleven year-old Akeelah Anderson's life is not easy: her father is dead, her mom ignores her, her brother runs with the local gangbangers. She's smart, but her environment threatens to strangle her aspirations. Responding to a threat by her school's principal, Akeelah participates in a spelling bee to avoid detention for her many absences. Much to her surprise and embarrassment, she wins. Her principal asks her to seek coaching from an English professor named Dr. Larabee for the more prestigious regional bee. As the possibility of making it all the way to the Scripps National Spelling Bee looms, Akeelah could provide her community with someone to rally around and be proud of -- but only if she can overcome her insecurities and her distracting home life. She also must get past Dr. Larabee's demons, and a field of more experienced and privileged fellow spellers.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Karen1972

Karen1972 Gold Member

the local gangbangers? - oo er missus!

4. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

Tsk tsk, I did say NO sex!!

5. Karen1972

Karen1972 Gold Member

you sure did honey BUT i only know of one kind of gangbanger what does the other one mean then?

6. DQ

DQ Queen of the Damned

It's gang violence in America.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.