ARGHHHHHH !!!!! Shopping in Spain . ARGHHH

fillymum

synful soul
I have decided that tonight I am going to try the beetroot risotto recipe in the Jan/Feb magazine. It looks delicious.

Off I went this morning armed with my shopping list which included Arborio or Carnaroli rice.

Five supermarkets later ( including Iceland) I gave up and bought Spanish paella rice.

We always wait an age for any popular product to hit the shops here. I can buy any amount of packets of flavoured risotto but not Italian rice.

To say I am p*ssed off is an understatement !!!

Has anyone else made risotto using a rice other than an Italian one and was it o.k. ????

How frustrating for you!I'm sure it'll still taste lovely! You can help your paella rice become more starchy and therefore more like risotto rice if you don't wash it and keep stirring it (as you would for risotto anyway) as this should help it release its starches more. I suppose the fear is that it could go mushy rather than velvety - just keep tasting!
Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:
I've made risotto with ordinary long grain rice - definitely not as nice as arborio but still enjoyable.

Denise

I've been making risottos with paella rice for a while. (They had an offer in Aldi) and you can't tell the difference.

I've been making risottos with paella rice for a while. (They had an offer in Aldi) and you can't tell the difference.

Thanks so much for that Judy. I am really looking forward to it. I love beetroot and when we used to grow them I even used to boil them, mash them like potatoes and served with pork they were delicious.

fillymum said:
Thanks so much for that Judy. I am really looking forward to it. I love beetroot and when we used to grow them I even used to boil them, mash them like potatoes and served with pork they were delicious.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE beetroot. I can just sit and eat one after the other. I grew my own for the first time last year and made a scrummy relish with it. It didn't last long!

The beetroot risotto was good. It worked just as well with paella rice.

I made enough for tomorrow as well.

I think it needs a bit more onion and celery to give it a bit more oomph.

My cheese allowance hexa and b made a world of difference to it.

Back