At last - someone talking SENSE about weight loss...

boardwitless

Silver Member
.....but we knew it anyway ;)
Today's Daily Mail has an article by Hannah Sutter (she is described variously as a 'diet lawyer' but possibly is writing with a vested interest as she is the founder of the GoLower company). However, she writes about the growing epidemic of obesity in developed countries, coincidentally, the countries whose governments have implemented the 'Food Pyramid' model of nutrition since the early 1990s - i.e. the bulk of the diet based on carbohydrates. While never actually mentioning the name, it all corresponds with the Atkins plan :rolleyes: - even the drop in bad cholesterol. Have a read...

The Big Fat Lies about Britain's obesity epidemic | Mail Online

Interesting to note that evidently we are doing 25% more exercise, eating 20% less calories and 20% more fruit and veg over these years and STILL piling on the pounds. Far be it from me to suggest that the 'carb heavy' way of eating is flawed.....:D

Interesting to note that evidently we are doing 25% more exercise, eating 20% less calories and 20% more fruit and veg over these years and STILL piling on the pounds. Far be it from me to suggest that the 'carb heavy' way of eating is flawed.....:D

But, I don't reckon it's as easy as that. Eating less these days? Well, I'm certainly eating more :D

I'm sure that NEAT has gone down massively in the last 20 years. NEAT being what we burn just moving around, day to day stuff. Fidgeting, taking a quick walk to the corner shop, cooking from scratch rather than putting something in the microwave and sitting down whilst it cooks. Walking to the telephone box, or home land phone, rather than grabbing the mobile from your pocket.

Since NEAT is such a big issue, I would think that the fact we use less of it would have quite a big impact.

As for carbs...ack...people don't get overweight because they have masses of carbs rather than masses of protein me thinks. Whenever someone swears that carbs is a problem for their weight, or a trigger food, you can be pretty sure that they are eating their carbs with fats.

SW have a high carb free food, but the fats are so limited that people continue to lose because those carbs foods hold less appeal without the creamy sauces or the sugar and fats. Rare to find folk gorging on dry toast and plain pasta.

That's my opinion anyway :D

I read this on the day and whilst of course I agree with it I often wonder why it is that other cultures, in the Far East, say, eat TONS of sticky rice and do NOT gain weight. They are almost uniformly slender.

Is this simply genetic? For many poor countries rice is the staple diet. Again they do not seem to get fat on it.

Yes indeed but the premise of that newspaper article is that starches - rice, potatoes, pasta - are at the root of our obesity problems.

Cultures who eat large quantities of rice tend to be thin!

When they come to live in the West these poor people often gain weight. By not eating sticky rice, presumably! LOL.

Interesting read although I am unconvinced that carbs are the root of all evil. I generally have quite a high carb diet these days with no weigh gain. As other posts have indicated there are cultures whose diet is very much based on carbohydrates who also seem to avoid having obesity issues.

I guess I still subscribe to the theory of calories in vs calories burnt in irrespective of whether they be carb, protein etc.

Reactions: Jim
I read this on the day and whilst of course I agree with it I often wonder why it is that other cultures, in the Far East, say, eat TONS of sticky rice and do NOT gain weight. They are almost uniformly slender.
Yes, true, we do see the Far Eastern diets as heavy on the rice, but I think this is combined with a good ratio of unrefined carbs, far more vegetables which are seen as a main meal rather than a side dish, less sweet foods, more accompaniments such as clear soups which bulk out a meal and smaller portions. I hazard a guess that it's only the Western world that has a huge plateful of Chinese food (or a marathon trek around a Chinese buffet :D)

SW have a high carb free food, but the fats are so limited that people continue to lose because those carbs foods hold less appeal without the creamy sauces or the sugar and fats. Rare to find folk gorging on dry toast and plain pasta.
KD, SW didn't work for me because I could happily eat a mountain of savoury rice/noodles/jacket spuds/even plain pasta & sweetcorn. Even I felt that I was cheating and so did the scales :rolleyes:........

KD, SW didn't work for me because I could happily eat a mountain of savoury rice/noodles/jacket spuds/even plain pasta & sweetcorn. Even I felt that I was cheating and so did the scales :rolleyes:........

Agreed there, and I know others have problems with this, but probably not because they are having carbs, just that because they are eating a mound, they are consuming too many calories.

I can gain weight on high carb, but then I can gain weight on higher protein. So, it's not the macronutrient as such, just eating excess food.

Of course, a keto diet such as Atkins (and Cambridge :D) because of the ketosis factor makes it easier to eat less calories of everything. Less hunger, less cravings, less blood sugar swings. :clap:

Atkins worked for me because it suited my eating habits really. But each to their own, whatever works for you is my motto.

Back