Atkins - portion sizes

AlisonJ

Hi all

This is my first post, so please be gentle :)

I have today decided to start the Atkins diet. I need to/would like to lose about 70lbs and I also like the science of how it works. I have the book, I have read the sticky posts and have also looked on the Atkins website. But I am still confused about portion sizes. What confuses me is where it says "as much as you like". Well, eating "as much as I like" is what got me to being so fat LOL.

I also don't eat meat, which is what complicates things a bit. I eat eggs and cheese and will, under protest, eat a bit of Salmon and prawns but any other fish and meat is out of the question. I like quorn but hate tofu. And a quite prescriptive diet telling me what to do at and when works better for me. So if anyone is able to direct me to any specific Atkims diet plans that give a bit of guidance - especially of portion size, I would be so grateful. I really want to do this, but as I sit here planning what to eat tomorrow, and how much, I am stuck already.

Many thanks in advance :)

It's a bit confusing as the original Dr Atkins diet didn't measure portions - it was eat until you are full (not stuffed, just satisfied). But the newer version has portion sizes exactly for the reasons you stated - people thought they could eat as much as they wanted and didn't lose weight.

I've been doing it a month, and you will find your appetite decreases so you end up quite happy with the portion sizes.

Also, just in case you hadn't seen it, as a veggie it's OK to start in phase 2. This allows you more nuts etc. and can be easier to sustain than Phase 1.

The main thing is to learn to listen to your appetite - what makes you hungry? For me it's carbs or Zumba! I eat post Zumba but try & survive/cope when it's because I had sugar.

Be gentle with self while in first 2/3 weeks induction - just eat to satisfy. If you restrict quantity at this stage you will give up:( Once v comfortable in ketosis you can try reducing or noticing cals

Back