beef and butterbean stew with pastry stars

ingredients: three red onions, cut nice and small, light jus-rol pastry, chopped tomatoes, 400ml of beef stock, cornflour, smoked paprika, garlic, lean beef casserole, butter beans and an egg
recipe: pop the hob onto a medium-high heat and get your casserole pot out (preferably one you can bung in the oven). A splash of olive oil on the bottom or frylight if you're syn-free. Roll your meat around in a teaspoon of cornflour and smoked paprika. You can skip this bit if you like - I didn't, because the flour helps it not to stick, but as this serves four, I didn't syn it - if you want to be super-careful it'll be 1 syn at most. Fry the meat for three minutes to get a good seal on it. Take the meat out, put the onion in to saute, and then add everything into the pot.
Now your choice is simple. Hob for two hours on medium or oven for three. I prefer the oven, because it takes longer and the flavours develop. The meat I got from Sainsbury's was as tough as old boots - I actually went onto their facebook and left a message.
I actually salvaged the dinner by cooking it for three hours - I think two hours on the hob won't cut it if you use cheaper meat. Your call!
If you want the stars, syn them at 4 syns (and again, that's being generous). Easy enough, unroll the pastry and cut them out with a cutter. I've actually got a penis-shaped cutter, but I thought that would look ungainly. Brush with egg and put them in a hot oven for fifteen minutes, or until they're golden brown.
We had the usual sweet potato mash - chop potatoes, rice them, add a drop of horseradish and the remainder of the egg you'll use to glaze the stars. Mix, and serve. Broccoli on the side.
extra-easy: yes, 0 syns if you omit the pastry stars and the cornflour, but again, remember you're eating to be happy, not punishing yourself. Get out of the mindset of being scared to use your syns and spend them on making your food that little bit better. THAT said, if you didn't have pastry, you could throw the mash on top and have a sort of shepherds pie. If you're INSANE.
top tips: The scraps of the Jus-Rol could easily be made into those cinnamon swirl things you see dotted around various groups. But that's just pastry, cinnamon and sweetener - and we're talking a LOT of sweetener, and it isn't very good for the body. Your call mind, I'm not lecturing! If you wanted, just cut out strips, sprinkle sweetener and cinnamon, and roll them up into a wheel shape. Mmm! 2 syns each. Just have a bloody Freddo and get on with it!

Back