Beware! Multi vits & physillium husks....

In search of me

Silver Member
Rang LL H/O this morning due to my dire losses the last three weeks (2 ibs, 2 ibs & 1 ib) and implanon implant I have is fine but phsyillium husks and taking multi-vitamin is not!
She's going to double check tomorrow (will keep you updated of course!) and get back to me but thats gutting!!
Moral of the story is check with them direct on low losses - wish I'd done this last week!! Never mind its done but just wanted you to know!

OMG I hope psysillium husks are ok, they are the only thing keeping me regular.
I used to take them when I was on the Atkins diet, so you would think that they would be ok on this one.
ISOM can you let us know what they say as soon as you can please, so I can find something else to help me if needed.
Thanks

I'll be watching this thread with interest ... although I fail to see how psyllium husks, which are the INDIGESTIBLE outer husk of a plant and are carb and cal free can affect the diet.

If anything is in doubt about it, my guess is that it's not the pure PH but the type that has additives (probiotics / digestive aids).

I used PH for the entire time I SSd last year and easily achieved the CD claim of 'a stone a month'.

When I get serious about getting back on the wagon (after May 4th) then I'll definitely be using it again .... without it, I found constipation such a problem I almost threw in the towel.

Hi,

I agree with you abou the Psyllium Husks. I was doing great on LL with 14lbs off in the first two weeks and finding it really easy to stick to. I'm someone who can never stick to any diet, so I was over the moon. The only problem I had was not going to the toilet, so I decided to try the Psyllium Husk capsules.

I checked the ingredients beforehand and the bottle said the contents were Psyllium Husk Powder and Magnesium Stearate. It also stated that it was fee of yeast, gluten, salt, sugar and dairy products, and that the energy, carbohydrate, fat and protein was negligible, so I felt pretty safe taking them.

The upshot is that not only did they not work, but that they knocked me out of ketosis! I have my own Ketostix and would check every few days just to make sure that all was as it should be. It can only have been the PH, because I got into ketosis after 3 days of starting the diet and was 100% abstinent.

It has really affected my weight loss - I lost only 1lb in week 3, and even though I only took the capsules for 5 days I only lost 2lb the following week. I'm now in week 5 and hopefully things will pick up. I feel so disappointed that I messed up, and really envious (not in a nasty way!) when I see people's tickers with great losses after the first two weeks!

I did search the forum looking for anyone else who'd encountered the same thing, but couldn't find anyone else, so I thought it was just me being weird! I didn't even think there was any point posting about it until I read your post.

I'd be really interested to hear anyone else's comments or experiences about this.

I checked the ingredients beforehand and the bottle said the contents were Psyllium Husk Powder and Magnesium Stearate. It also stated that it was fee of yeast, gluten, salt, sugar and dairy products, and that the energy, carbohydrate, fat and protein was negligible, so I felt pretty safe taking them.

It can only have been the PH, because I got into ketosis after 3 days of starting the diet and was 100% abstinent.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but it's more likely to have been the 'negligible' amounts of extras in the coating AROUND the PH capsules rather than the PH itself that knocked you out of ketosis. Some people are exceptionally sensitive and this was obviously enough for you.

I've only ever used the powder ... but being aware of the capsule coating is certainly a good point!

Hello Everyone

I will also be very interested in this as I have taken psyllium husks as well throughout LL (now in week 9). Not everyday but as and when necessary. I also just recommended them to people in my group as the issue of constipation came up.

It just goes to show that our bodies all react differently.

Thanks for sharing this.

Mrs Lx

Hi
This is so weird, but I threw my ph powder away only this week, because I was a bit worried about taking it again , as the only week I did use them , I had the lowest loss of any week before or after. I was just a bit too worried about taking it, and at the back of my mind thought if this is Ok why dont LL recomend it or even add it to the packs to add some much needed fibre? My powdered husks could have easily been added to the packs during manufacture, so there must be a reason for not doing , and I dont think its because some people arnt constipated, as I think most people are.
Oh well, funny old game this , hope you now have fantastic losses ISOM !
X Carole

Hmmmm interesting. I have always used the powder and found it to be wonderful stuff (I am on CD) but this time I couldn't get my usual brand so got capsules instead.

To be honest I am wasting my time with them - i am taking 6 a day when it says to take 2 and they are still not working :rolleyes:

They are obviously quite different to the powder. It also makes me wonder if there might be a sugar coating in the capsule of the ones you are taking? It could also possibly be the magnesium stearate as some people are sensitive to it :mad:

Personally I think there are a number of things that may or may not affect an individual and that's why the company don't recommend it across the board.

I mentioned on another thread that I have had the odd swallow of OJ. One week it was daily and I never went out of ketosis (I was worried so I bought some sticks to test at home).

It has probably affected my weight losses however because 3lbs a week is probably a bit low for me because I have a lot to lose. Anyway, I'm planning a good week this week and no OJ this week.

I just use the waterflavours for constipation.

I've now investigated & LL woman said it was on the list of non recc things (I took the powder not the capsules) because it contains carbohydrate...while amounts are negligible it can affect some people apparently. Ducolax is what is recc and I tried some last night & it did work but had slight stomach cramps but worth it for the frst proper poo I've has so far!!!! I've never been knocked out of ketosis and the low losses on the scales (but not inches) could be a few things..have also seen my gp referral woman today which answers even more ?!! (1) I have put on 2 ibs of muscle in last 2 weeks which weighs more than fat (2) Fat mass % is down; (3) BP fine (4) Retaining 1 ib of water...the mutivitamin I tol is also not advised as its a "mega" one and that means I may be storing too much of certain vitamins but unlikely to affect weight loss. Likely culprit this week was being bunged up, retaining water, more muscle & the fact that I had drunk 4 litres f water befroe weigh i - not my usual 2! Thats good enough for me! Losses are great & so far I've lost 8% body fat - not bad for just over a month! Hope that provides some encouragement? As for husks appreciate that they may work for you RD but I wont be taking them again! Esp after comparing them to dulcolax!! Felt SOOOO much better!! Hugs all & hang in there!

Thanks for passing on the information, which is really helpful. I will let my group know. Glad Ducolax did the trick, in spite of the cramps.

Mrs L xx

Back