Black Women writers...

BlackRose

Gold Member
Having done a dissertation on black women writers it would just be wrong of me not to recommend the writers whose beautiful, stunning work fascinate me.

If you've read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' then you MUST read 'The Color Purple' by Alice Walker if you haven't already -one of my all time favourites. Then 'Meridian'. In fact almost anything by Alice Walker guarantees you some excellent writing.

Toni Morrison..I'd recommend either 'Beloved' or 'The Bluest Eye'.

And Maya Angelou!! LOVE LOVE LOVE HER!!!

CHECK THEM OUT FOLKS!! ;) ;) ;)

i love the color purple. had to read it for A-level but it stayed with me on my bookshelf. love the part where she makes pants and even more pants - independence coming through!! also did like the film with whoopi goldberg i think it was.

Having done a dissertation on black women writers it would just be wrong of me not to recommend the writers whose beautiful, stunning work fascinate me.

If you've read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' then you MUST read 'The Color Purple' by Alice Walker if you haven't already -one of my all time favourites. Then 'Meridian'. In fact almost anything by Alice Walker guarantees you some excellent writing.

Toni Morrison..I'd recommend either 'Beloved' or 'The Bluest Eye'.

And Maya Angelou!! LOVE LOVE LOVE HER!!!

CHECK THEM OUT FOLKS!! ;) ;) ;)

The Color Purple [sic] is a beautiful book.

Song of Solomon - Toni Morrison and Sula by Toni Morrison is fantasic also.

If you like Toni Morrison read Baby of the Family by Tina McElroy Ansa... Amazon.com: Baby of the Family (Harvest Book): Tina McElroy Ansa: Books

oooooh -lovin the suggestions! Gots to get me some more Toni.

And yes -The Pants inc is great isn't it? It like independance and shedding of forced feminisation all at once -love it!

I know Dorothy Koomson isn't quite up ther with Maya Angelou, but I think her novels are great :D i have read all of them and can't wait for her next novel :eek:

I know Dorothy Koomson isn't quite up ther with Maya Angelou, but I think her novels are great :D i have read all of them and can't wait for her next novel :eek:
Just went to her website, I will be checking her out.

Some I like:
all of Toni Morrison
Alice Walker
Maya Angelou
Paule Marshall
Gloria Naylor
BeBe Moore Campbell
Jamacia Kincade
Gwendolyn Brooks
Zora Neale Hurston
Nikki Giovanni

Some book titles that I don't remember the authors names:
The Hand I Fan With
Tempest

Just went to her website, I will be checking her out.

Some I like:
all of Toni Morrison
Alice Walker
Maya Angelou
Paule Marshall
Gloria Naylor
BeBe Moore Campbell
Jamacia Kincade
Gwendolyn Brooks
Zora Neale Hurston
Nikki Giovanni

Some book titles that I don't remember the authors names:
The Hand I Fan With
Tempest

The Hand I Fan With - Tina McElroy-Ansa (I mentioned her above). Also read her book, Baby of the Family, its very in-keeping with Toni Morrison's style. :)

Back