Bye Bye Bingo Wings, Hello Hip Bones!! - Slimming World Food Diary

Hi Guys,

I've been an avid Minimins reader for years on and off - I've even dabbled in a WW Diary at some point in the last six months - but have never posted a great deal. Anyway, after a fair few months of being in an anxiety ridden slump I have decided to do something about it and get control of my life - finally and once and for all!

The cincher really came at the weekend when, on a hen do in Newcastle, I realised just how much weight I have gained over the past 6 months or so. We ended up on a party boat on the River Tyne which was great fun but one of the staircases had a big mirror in front of it. It occurred to me that due to my 'depression' (for lack of a better word) I hadn't really looked in a mirror in months and the results nearly sent me stumbling down the stairs. I looked - there's no other word for it - fat. I've always been curvy and have never ever been a size 8 Skinny Minnie but I don't think I've ever looked at myself before and thought I looked fat.

So I vowed to do something about it when I got back and force myself to confront the issues. I've ummed and ahh'd about what diet to follow WW, SW, RC or just plain calorie counting but I decided that Slimming World might suit me the best. I can't afford to go to group at the moment, or pay the online subscription so I'm going to try it myself using my mums old books and this site. I have loosely followed the plan before but never properly so please, please tell me if I make some mistakes (I'm sure I will!!).

I will probably detail everything down just to help my peace of mind!

Ooo also, my names Charlotte, I'm 25 and I will get to my goal this year!

So today's food plan is: Extra Easy

Breakfast
Pineapple (superfree)
Muller Light Coconut Yogurt (0.5 syns)
Mid Morning Snack - Special K Moment Chocolate (5 syns)

Lunch
Salad of lettuce, shredded beetroot & carrot (Super free) & Sweetcorn (free)
2 x thick turkey slices (free)
Batchelors Savoury Rice (free)
Balsamic Vinegar Dressing (free)

Afternoon snack - pineapple (superfree)

Dinner
Diet Coke Chicken - Chicken (Free), Diet Coke (Free), 5 Spice (Free), Tomato Puree (Free)
Stirfry carrot, mange tout, mushrooms (superfree) and baby sweetcorn (free) in soy sauce
Dried Noodles (Free)

Late night snack - 1 x slice wholemeal bread (HXB) & 1 x Dairylea Light Slice (HXA) 140ml glass dry white wine (4.5 syns)

Need to figure out how to get my HX's in - was going to get some babybels for my salad and some Alpens but I didn't get to the supermarket yesterday so will have to try and incorporate it tonight. Unfortunately i don't drink Tea or Coffee so I can't get it in that way - sure I will figure something out! Will update with extra syns & HX's tonight! :)

Please feel free to say Hi as I would love a buddy to help me through!

Oh and my start weight is: 12st6 :(

Charlotte x

Last edited:
Just had to pop on and write here instead of picking up the brownie that has just been placed on my desk!!!! GAHHHHH! It's only a bitesized piece but this is where I have always gone wrong - little of this, little of that etc and it all adds up doesn't it?

Why is work so full of tempting treats? The Canteen is stocked with Seabrook Crisps (My FAVE!!!) & there are endless birthdays/babies/weddings where we all contribute sausage rolls/sweets/chocolate! It's tough to avoid!! Well, I just have - that piece of brownie is now in the bin! I have already had a Special K Moments for 5 syns so not wanting to use any more aside from what is in my tea! Going to go fish the pineapple out of the fridge and finish that instead! Wish me luck!

Hi Charlottie,
I could have written your intro... I haven't looked in the mirror in ages - always avoid it (and the camera), I'm also the same height and roughly the same weight as you, but am trying a Low GL Diet - rather than SW.
Well done for avoiding the brownies...
Good luck with your journey x

Thank you Squeakie :) I agree - some of the pics from the Hen Do have been posted on FB and I have to say my fears we realised! I dressed as a lion for fancy dress and size wise I looked like my character! Also good luck - we must embrace those mirrors eventually! How are you finding Low GI?

So yesterday I avoided the brownie (yay!), and did a big supermarket shop packed full of yummy, low fat foods. Had 10 syns (Special K Chocolate Moments - 5 syns, a 140ml glass of wine - 4.5 syns and a Muller Light Coconut - 0.5 syns) and felt great. I have amended my food diary above to reflect what I finally ate. I feel really good and positive. Told my OH to not tempt me as well but to be honest being attractive for him is a big motivation. Though he did stab a guess at my weight and thought I weighed 8 and a half stone - bless him that's less than my goal weight!

Struggled to get my HX's in yesterday so I ended up having a snack at about 9:30 of one slice brown bread and a dairylea light cheese slice to get them in!

Anyway, todays food is looking like:

Breakfast - Extra Easy
28g Coco & Orange Shreddies (HXB)
150ml Skimmed Milk (1/2 HXA)
Pineapple

Mid Morning Snack - Muller Light Toffee (Free)

Lunch
Small Jacket Potato (Free)Big Salad with lettuce, carrot, beetroot (superfree) and sweetcorn (free)
Balsamic Vinegar Dressing (free)
Very Low Fat Cottage Cheese (superfree)

Afternoon Snack - Pineapple

Dinner
Chicken Breast (free) stuffed with 1 x Slice of Dairylea light (1/2 HXA) and wrapped in bacon (free) with roasted potatoes & sweet potatoes (free), peppers (superfree), onion (superfree)

Syns
2 x Chicken Pakoras (6 syns)
1 x 140ml Glass of Wine (4.5 syns)

Total
10.5 syns

My friend is having a leaving curry tonight as she is going into the army, I have declined that - totally not ready to go near popodoms and mango chutney yet! - but will be going for drinks after. I will drive to eliminate the need to drink so should be a good, on plan day! Not sure what I will use syns for yet but might have a chocolatey treat tonight!!

Phew - now to start the day!!

Charlotte x

Last edited:
Another on plan day yesterday! I am LOVING this diet. Thought I had a bit of a slip up by having two chicken pakoras from the work canteen at lunch time and was punishing myself but my only other syns were a glass of wine so in the end it wasn't so bad!

Slept in this morning badly so not as prepared as yesterday which isn't so good but hoping not to be enticed by goodies at work even if I feel hungry! Feeling really sick and ill too which usually makes me reach for the crisps. One of my mini goals is no crisps at all in the first month as these are a weakness without a doubt so must avoid them at all costs!

Today is looking like:

Green

Breakfast
Nothing

Lunch
Low Fat Supernoodles
1/3 of Jacket Potato with a bit of Low Fat Cottage cheese (didn't like it so left the rest!)

Tea
Chicken Chow Mein (10 syns)

Might save some syns for a slice or two of garlic bread but this all depends on my tummy as it feels very dodgy. It is taking all my might not to go and get a bacon butty but I know that won't help me or my sickness!! Must power through!

xxx

Last edited:
Oh today is getting a bit tough so i thought I would come and hash it out on here instead of being tempted by my work mates delicious looking packet of Rocky biscuits!

I can't seem to stop wanting to snack. I felt incredibly ill this morning so really didn't fancy my planned brekki of grapes and yogurt - i have a mild dairy intolerance especially if I already feel un-well - so the thought turned my stomach a bit this morning. I didn't want the alternative on offer in the canteen (well, I did but I didn't want to ruin my diet with white toast and butter or a bacon sarnie!) so I waited until about 11am and then had a Tomato and Herb Pasta Mugshot which was actually really tasty and helped to sort my poor stomach out. That seemed to set me off then so i picked at my grapes, though I bough Morrison's Savers ones and you really can tell - no taste, thick skin, no juice :( So I didn't have too many.

Then at lunch I had a jacket potato with low fat cottage cheese and some lettuce but i just wasn't feeling it - really wanted calories - the potato was hard and the cheese didn't seem to agree with my stomach so I had a small amount and then gave up. This then led me to having a mid afternoon snack of Low Fat Supernoodles Chicken & Herb which are delicious!! So I have snacked a bit but all has been on plan and no syns as of yet - taking all my strength not to have a Rocky but I will resist! I just keep thinking about the idea of myself in those cut off denim shorts and it helps a little! I've drunk more water than is in the Pacific Ocean (nearly) to try and fill myself up but my God it isn't working.

OH isn't too well either and has already text mentioning a 'big greasy pizza' which has sent me salivating all over the desk but lo and behold he can shove his pizza - I think I'm going to make us homemade burger with a dairlyea light slice and a whole meal brown roll and SW chips so that I feel like I'm getting my 'McDonalds' fix without the calories :) Glad I did a Green day now as I don't have to worry about Superfree as much which is great when I feel like being a piggy.

My biggest problem, and one of the main reasons as to why my weight has always been an issue, is resisting temptation. I have always had that 'Oh I'll start again tomorrow' mentality, there is always another day soon in the future where I will 'become a new person' and because I tell myself this it makes it OK to eat. The problem is that I was saying this to myself pretty much every night and 12 months later I was fatter than I had been originally. So it doesn't really work. This has ALWAYS been my problem - well behaved at work, then binge on grab bag crisps and McDonald's on my way home. So this is one of those little changes - making my own, healthier McDonald's and not thinking sod it - I just want comfort food I'll start again tomorrow. And the difference is that in my head I don't think - but I might just swing past MCD's and make my mind up then - my mind is saying you won't be swinging past MCD's - go home and have a delicious, filling, home made tea which is unheard of! I believe that this is what they call a Non-Scale Victory!! :))

Anyway - just to stop my hands from picking I wrote this and I am glad I did as it has reaffirmed to me how much it meas to me to lose weight! xxx

So last night ended up not as good as I had planned - minus a non scale victory! Ended up having a chinese but kept it to a chicken chow mein and didn't eat the whole portion, counting it as 10 syns anyway! And the chicken as my 2 x HXB. They were my only syns so it wasn't as bad as it could have been!

Both me and OH were knackered so he went to bed at 7 - it's the first time we haven't ever gone to bed at the same time since I moved to that flat so it was a bit odd. By half 7 I could hear him snoring so I ignored the washing up and tidying and settled to start watching the new series of Girls which I have had on my sky box for months and not watched because he doesn't like it. Managed to get 5 episodes in so it was a night well spent! Unfortunately neglected the chores though so tonight I will be rushing around like a headless chicken trying to get everything done before I go out!

Friday's obstacle is looking like a birthday party that my friend is throwing for her boyfriend - she text me last night saying not to eat as she has loads of food!! I replied with 'well i'm on a bit of a health kick at the moment, is any of it healthy?' and she said 'No' - so I am going to eat beforehand so that I am nice and full and not tempted by sausage rolls and things and I have to be up early tomorrow (more on that later) so I am going to drive and not drink (even though she lives a 10 minute walk from my house!).

Today is looking like: Extra Easy

Breakfast
28g Shreddies Choco Orange (HXB)
150ml Milk (1/2 HXA)
Grapes

Lunch
Turkey Slices (Free)
Salad (Superfree)
Batchelors Chicken Savory Rice (Free)
Balsamic Vinegar Dressing (Free)

Tea
Homemade beef burgers (free), SW Chips (free), 2 x Dairylea light Slices (1/2 HXA & 2.5 syns) and 1 x small brown bread roll (6 syns), salad.

That's probably as many syns as I should have so really need to be good at this bloody party. My friend is 16+ stone and completely happy with herself which is amazing (aside from the health risks) but her cooking is so unhealthy! Hopefully after my tea I will be stuffed and won't be fussed for the buffet!

I still haven't stepped on the scales - I'm usually a serial weigher but I want to do this properly this time and it usually clouds my judgement! - which i am v proud of so no idea how I'm getting on but I feel fab and am hoping it keeps up!

Anyway - tomorrow will be another challenge. Think I will discuss that later. I have updated my food diary above to show what I ended up eating yesterday!

Charlotte

Oh dear - not the best weekend ever.

Went ever so slightly off plan, and by that I mean very off plan.

Saturday I was in the support car for a charity bike ride from Wetherby to Scarborough that my dad, brother and 13 other members of my family and friends were doing in aid of Brain Tumor Research and support. My dad was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor in 2011 and given 6 months to live. 18 months on and he is alive and well with a stable tumor that will never go away but has been reduced and he is learning to live with his illness. My dad is a miracle, he finished the 64 mile cycle ride first and didn't even break into a sweat! Obviously this was emotional and at the meal afterwards I may have had a little bit too much to eat and drink!

Anyway - I won't list it all and it could have been worse. Onwards and upwards and I am still hoping for a loss tomorrow - it just might be a smaller one!!

So todays food plan is: Green

Breakfast
Melon (Superfree)
Muller Light Toffee Yoghurt (Free)
Special K Moments Bar (5 Syns)

Lunch
1 x slice Wholemeal Bread (HXB x 1)
1 x small tin pasta hoops

Tea
Bacon (HXB x 1)
Mushrooms (superfree)
Pasta (free)
Chopped tomatoes (superfree)
Herbs (free)
Onion (superfree)
Garlic (superfree)
2 x HXA portions low fat cheese (HXA x 2)
Will probably do some garlic bread for OH so might have a slice of that if I have syns left!! We will see. Thinking of starting a class after pay day as a bit of extra incentive but wasn't really keen on the structure when I last went - any advice?

Charlotte

Back