Can anyone recommend me a high quality food flask?

Maximus

Gold Member
As the winter kicks in, sandwiches and fruit are beginning to lose their appeal at work. I want something more comforting and especially something hot.

I need a food flask which keeps stuff piping hot for at least 6 hours. I often batch-cook lots of thick soups, chilli and chicken casseroles. These would be ideal really.

Something at least 350ml-500ml capacity, but main criteria is the heat-retaining performance. I have done internet research of course but would like to hear the views of actual users as opposed to possible flamers or advertisers/fanboys on review sites.

Performance is more important than low cost. Especially as I can use it for my weekend jaunts with my new ramblers club:)

Many thanks

Steve

Thermos Work Series Food Flask 0.5L

You can pick them up on ebay for £20 including postage. Not cheap but very good. Not used one myself but my landlord has one and says it's fantastic.

Sorry not much help other than that i'm afraid.

ive got a £3.50 one from tescos. Use it everyday for my soup :) as long as i heat it until is very hot (say at 6.30) by the time at have my lunch at 1pm it is still lovely and warm :)

Thanks for those - any more? - I can't imagine the cheap £3.50 being thermos/insulated which they have to be. Bear in mind they are going out in the hills in winter.

Seve

I've got a Stanley one. Just make sure that the food is piping hot when it goes in and it does stay hot. I can microwave the food in this flask too so it's handy if the food is not so hot too.

Ok, thanks everyone. It cannot be used with a microwave (in short supplies in the hills in winter lol) consensus would seem to be Thermos products - some of the others are not getting many if any reviews (not a good sign).

Might have to resort to Which? magazine and their testers;)

I've got a bento box too - keeps food hot for 8 hrs I think as long as you put it in piping hot and there are 2 layers so you can have something hot, something cold, or both hot etc.
Mine was from Firebox.com

I meant that if when you wanted your food and there was a microwave available that you could put it in there. It also recommends that you put the food in the flask and then heat in the micro to take with you but I find it stays warmer if you warm it first then put in the flask.

Sorry for any confusion caused as I think this product is good value for money. Mine was a fiver in Aldi.

Unusually, for an Amazon product, that has no reviews whatsoever!

I meant that if when you wanted your food and there was a microwave available that you could put it in there. It also recommends that you put the food in the flask and then heat in the micro to take with you but I find it stays warmer if you warm it first then put in the flask.

Sorry for any confusion caused as I think this product is good value for money. Mine was a fiver in Aldi.

Sorry, I was being a little flippant:p this along with the Bento box don't seem to be insulated. Firebox have good gadgety/products but in my experience they get great reviews but over-enthusiastic ones ;)

I'm off work tomorrow and will have a look around (weather permitting)

Maximus said:
this along with the Bento box don't seem to be insulated.

First thing listed in bento box product features is insulated, so I guess it must be :)

I am thinking about this one - great reviews but there is a long wait for delivery

Thermos Stainless King Food Flask 0.47 Litre, Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

ETA also on sale at Lakeland and Asda Direct - actually £5 less at Asda but out of stock just now

I also came to the same conclusion based on the reviews (48 of them) very favourable apart from one awful review - clearly a wind-up. They are back instock at £19.99 - not the cheapest, but certainly high quality.

First thing listed in bento box product features is insulated, so I guess it must be :)

After a lttle more research, I found lesser reviews than on the Firebox site Was never convinced as gadget sites and gadget lovers tend to exaggerate their purchases and a couple of reviews on Amazon clinched it for me;)

A trusted name like Thermos was always going to be a deciding factor.

Steve

Maximus said:
After a lttle more research, I found lesser reviews than on the Firebox site Was never convinced as gadget sites and gadget lovers tend to exaggerate their purchases and a couple of reviews on Amazon clinched it for me;)

I don't actually have one, lol. I just liked the sound of what people on here had said about them, so had a little look at the link. Thought I'd point out the insulation in case that was the only thing holding you back!

Hope you manage to get a good flask in any case!

Katy

Thanks Katy, sorry if I cam across as rude or overly-dismissive. That wasn't my intention:)

Just I am really fussy and although the reviews seemed favourable, that was only on the FB site. Elsewhere they were not as positive.

As always, time will tell - at £19.99 it was not the cheapest, but solid reviews by many people swung it for me. Bear in mind it will be used daily in the cold months and every weekend it will pay for itself in little or no time.

Steve

Hi, I just seen this revamped thread. Did it? absolutely yes it did. Throughout the winter and even now! its ability to heephome made soups, chicken curry and casseroles piping (mouth-burningly) hot in the freezing cold whilst out hiking made me the envy of the ramblers group I'm with!

As they made do with cold sandwiches, many of them had struggled to find suitable vessel. It has the added bonus of being small/squat and easily fits in a rucksack - h and has its own metal spoon (foldable) built into the lid! - Amazon were doing twin pack - his with a 0.5 litre liquid flask (also by Thermos). Again, piping hot coffee or bovril etc. after many hours in the icy hills.

I should be on commission lol, but lots of people have bought them just from smelling my steaming veggie soup on the Yorkshire Moors lol.

Joking aside, if prepared correctly, as I found out by accident, coffee stays piping overnight! just make sure you preheat etc.

Steve

Back