cavalier king charles spaniel

jojo21

Hi everyone i was wondering if anybody out there has one of these adorable dogs as i need some advice.We have had a few problems with her breathing at night.She makes like a little crying noise then cant breathe very well.We had her at the vets yesterday who gave her a scan and internal throat exam and didnt find anyhing wrong only a bit if swelling round the tonsills.
Just wondering if anybody has got some advice as it breaking my heart to see her struggle.
:(
Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear your dog's poorly. :( We had Cavaliers when I was young. I think the biggest health issue with the breed is congenital heart problems - both ours had it and also most other Cavaliers I've come across. Has your vet ruled out heart problems? Our little female used to just keel over regularly with a heart attack, then just get up after a moment and carry on as though nothing had happened! The vet told is these attacks weren't painful or distressing for her, just that one day she'd have one that she didn't get up from, which is what happened in the end. I'm sure these problems must be fairly treatable once diagnosed, so I'd say do some research and ask your vet if that could be the problem. Hope you sort her out soon. :) xx

Thanks for that.The vet says her heart is fine for her age and also says she has a clear chest and her head is ok.Its all soooo confusing.

Thanks for that.The vet says her heart is fine for her age and also says she has a clear chest and her head is ok.Its all soooo confusing.

Oh right, I'm afraid that's me out of ideas then. :( They are obviously prone to these congenital problems, as they're all descended from the same half dozen dogs! Always a problem with pedigrees unfortunately. We also had a Bassett Hound, and he had a bad back and went blind, which are again problems with the breed. I really hope you get an answer soon. :) xx

Back