Challenge: Foods of the world...JULY = BRAZIL

Charleybarley

Gold Member
Hi all,

As someone who loves food from all corners of the world and thinks of countries in a foodie way ie Spain: tapas and chorizo. Italy: pizza, pasta. France: red wine, cheese and baguette. Mexico: fajitas and guacamole. USA: burgers and pancakes and huge deli sandwiches..... The list goes on.... I thought, together with co-conspirator, Ermintrude it might be an idea to post ideas of our favourite around the world foods. We could pick a country, any country, and come up with your favourite dish from that country. We could find far flung countries and island and maybe convert national dishes. What does everyone think? X

Last edited:
Mmmm I have to get my thinking hat on! :) For now I'm gonna list some countries/cuisines that I like food from or that I'd like to try some food from, then I'll add to it when I think of some meals. So here we go:

France
India/South Asia
Persian food
Spain
Greece
Morrocco
Eastern European food
North African food

It'll have to wait til next week for my menu planning to pick one to do as my menu is chocka for the next fortnight. Maybe I'll make this a Saturday night thing! :)

This sounds fab but think i'll be stealing recipes i'm terrible of thinking of new meals lol xx

World of Flavours is my favourite S.W. book - suppose copying that would be cheating.;)
Just bought a copy from someone on Amazon for 60p + p and p for a friend so I can keep my copy at home!!

Sounds like a plan, from your other thread I thought we were going to have a 'themed' night & post piccies?

I'd like to try something new, I fancy a nice morocan dish, as I always stick to the same either italian or indian.

Oh yeah definitely, we should make a night where we cook 3 courses from one cuisine and take piccies and the lot! :) I was just starting by making a list of somewhere to start as Ive no space/time til my current menu runs out :)

Thanks for the responses. I think maybe we should start with one country/cuisine per month let's start at the beginning with FRANCE. We will then have all month to come up with lots of French goodies, as Erm suggested, 3 courses if you can, if not then 2 courses. If you want to just do one course then that's fine too. Shall we start on 1st May? That way we can get our thinking cap on. Is there any way for me to edit the thread name?

I don't know if this being in off topics would be better to be honest, this will end up being full of posts that are recipe ridden, unless the majority object? If so, I will move to off topic. I guess because I don't tend to go to off topic much myself.

I have a good idea for French mains already - cue a Big Fat Hairy Biker Ladies recipe!!!!?

I like it in recipes but i'm subscribed to th thread so i'll find it either way lol xx

You're right it is in the best place here, but it's such a shame we don't have more chefs:D Maybe if you change the thread title it may catch more attention, I don't know I'm not good at 'catchy titles' and can only come up with 'around the world - france with piccies' then when June comes along change to around the world X, don't know maybe somebody else can come up with another title.

One country a month is a good idea at least it gives us time to come up with a 2/3 course meal, I like the fact we are all doing the same country at the same time, it adds a bit of excitment to it.

Just need to decide what to make now:D

Wooo cool so we all have to make a 3-course French meal during May, is that the plan? Yay!

Yeah keep the thread in here, it is gonna be full of recipes, and once it gets in the Off Topic room it gets buried under last-night's-Jeremy-Kyle or whatever. (Yeah I know it's be hard to catch him at night. :rolleyes:) I dont go in the Off Topic room if I can help it :D

Right I'll pencil it in for Sat 13th May so that gives me a week or two to plan my menoooooo :) Yay we haz Plan! :cool:

Excitabubbles I will figure out how to change the title to include the name of the given country, we are so on! I have main in my head, gotta think starter, pud is going to be well hard, I am not a pud person so I may leave it to just two courses I will have a think.

Mangetout people, mangetout.

Bon soir!

Excitabubbles I will figure out how to change the title to include the name of the given country, we are so on! I have main in my head, gotta think starter, pud is going to be well hard, I am not a pud person so I may leave it to just two courses I will have a think.

Mangetout people, mangetout.

Bon soir!

Crikey I'm going to have to get my thinking cap on or should that be ' toque blanche', I've no idea at all what to make, exiting times:D

I love that word its fab lol xx

Thanks, hard to believe but I made that up! I think it should be submitted to Collins and Oxford for their next editions!

Hmmm I think I have a starter in mind, but it needs something extra so I will get thunking. :thinking2:

Mmm main course though, tough one, Im not a very Frenchy person foodwise, (except ohhhh cheese, cream, wine etc :rolleyes: ) gotta get researching!

Excitabubbles! :D Love it :8855:

Yeah see the starter is stumping me! I have a main and a dessert sorted. I was thinking pate but I am using my bread for desserts... I am off work on 4 May so that's when I will be doing mine.... I love this!

Ok all, May is almost upon us and as the title suggests May is France month. I have my meal in place and I will post it with pics at the end of this week. If anybody else fancies giving this a go then please do.

Food is my life and although I have an often unhealthy relationship with it, I am trying real hard to flip that relationship into a healthy relationship. I love good food and would like to keep evolving and learning new recipes and new foods from around the world and adapting them to make them healthy and nutritious.

I am probably not making much sense here sorry!

I am hoping this thread will not only encourage us to brave new cuisines but encourage people of different nationalities/ethnicities to share the foods they know and love and were perhaps raised on.

I will stop waffling now!

Zut alors!

donnajt said:
what a great idea..why dont u add the word challenge to the title more people will be attracted to it.

i cant think of any french cuisine...but i shall start researching....

CHALLENGE added - good idea Donna, hopefully we will get more people interested! X

Back