Charleybarley tries again - Jan 2013

Friday 14th - WEIGH IN DAY!

Yesterday was good, I can officially state that I was 100% for the first time in over 2 weeks!!!! WOO HOOOO!!!! A small triumph for most, but a big one for me.

WEIGH IN - despite my devilish eating antics this week and last week - I managed to somehow STS, and have STS for the last two weeks. I do feel like my run of luck will not last, so now I need to knuckle down somewhat. My 23 week countdown starts today, saying that today is going to be hard. I have already had too many syns owing to the fact that it is only 10am!!! I have my wedding thing to go to tonight, so it will be boozy - I am thinking of G&T's but I prefer wine so much more. I will see how I fair.

I have half day at work, so leaving at 12:30 today, I have no idea for is for lunch, if anything, nor do I know what food will show up at the wedding this evening. Today is not going to be good in the SW way, but that's ok, I am not worried. I will be good for the rest of the week. I am also going to be going to the gym so I will work off any naughtiness I get up to today.

B - 1 boiled egg with w/m roll (HEB) and ham (2) for butter. Cappucino from Neros (HEA) for milk and naughty I had syrup shot it wasn't sugar free as they taste like ar!e IMO. But I have no idea what a shot of syrup is (?)

SYNS - ????????

Saturday 15th

In an effort to be a good girl, I am going to try to plan my weekend.

B - This will be tough, we are staying overnight in a top notch hotel with brekkie included. I usually go for the good old fashioned fry up - I hope to choose wisely. We will see.

L - Fresh Tomato and Basil Pasta (3) for EVOO. Since I have been back from Italy, all I want is pasta! Mick is out today so I plan to watch a girly film based in Tuscany and I want to eat as the Italians eat! I may even chuck in some prawns or anchovies if I remember to buy them!

D - My version of Nandos Chicken (skinless of course!) with Spicy Rice (2.5) and Salad. Piri Piri Sauce is really low 1/2 syn per TBSP, but I like a lot so I will go for a great big (2) for then sauce and another (2) for some LF salad cream to go on my salad.

Sunday 16th

B - Fry up my styley. 2 fried eggs, 2 BGTY sausages (1), 2 bacon, mushrooms, beans and toast (HEB) (1) for sauce (3) for butter

L - Fruit salad

D - Shepherd's Pie with lots of veg (HEA) for cheese. I use lots of veg both hidden in the meat sauce and to accompany it. I will be using lean lamb mince, but I have no idea of synnage. So I will allocate the rest of my syns for the lamb and the gravy granules I will use.

Monday 17th September

B - 2 BGTY Sausages (1)

L - Chicken leg, baked potato, salad (4) for dressing

D - Harvester! Salad, with a small white roll and a pat of butter, salad had red devil dressing and blue cheese dressing, I had 1 and 1/2 bowls. Mains was 1/2 spitroast chicken (skin off) with jacket potato with soured cream and another pat of butter and 2 garlicky dough balls.

Snacks - 2 figs, melon, 2x jubbly's (2)

Water - 2 litres

SYNS - PRETTY BAD!

Tuesday 18th September

B - Branflakes and Milk (HEA and HEB) with chopped banana

L - Going to a place called the Drift Bar near me. The best thing they do food wise is a Thai Beef Noodle Salad - and it is the nuts, I love it. The syns will be minimal but I like a bit of sweet chilli with it so (5) for the lot

D - 2 fried eggs and 2 min rice (2.5)

Snacks - fig, melon.

Water - 2 litre aim!

Charleybarley said:
Ah thank you so much for posting that - I do always post my words with tongue firmly in cheek but as you would know, I am serious about needing to change, the thing is I know I need it, I just don't want to do it - there I have said it. I am not fed up with shovelling the food in but I know I have to do it for my health and to look and feel great again. Its just that tip you know, to get me started. I just think I am in a bad frame of mind at the moment. As I type this I am shovelling away a pack of midget gems, having already eaten a packet of McCoys, my healthy lunch, a Heinz soup cup thing and a tomato and chilli swirl roll from tescos.

I need a do over and I need it now.

Anyway, enough about me, how are you doing? Your avatar suggests you are doing great - your piccy is stunning HP, what a lovely happy photo.

x

Hey hun, that kick up the arse I gave you.. I need one! I just want to shovel anything I can into my gob and it's not pretty! I plan SW friendly meals and then binge on anything in sight, have zero will power at present, wish I could heed my own advice and get back on track after a bad weekend.

My avatar lies, I'm not doing well! Haven't even managed to get the 11.5 lbs I put on in April off yet.. How terribles that?! I lose 1lb put 1 on etc for the last few months, one day I'll get there.

Take care and have a good day x

Hey hun, that kick up the arse I gave you.. I need one! I just want to shovel anything I can into my gob and it's not pretty! I plan SW friendly meals and then binge on anything in sight, have zero will power at present, wish I could heed my own advice and get back on track after a bad weekend.

My avatar lies, I'm not doing well! Haven't even managed to get the 11.5 lbs I put on in April off yet.. How terribles that?! I lose 1lb put 1 on etc for the last few months, one day I'll get there.

Take care and have a good day x

I have been there my friend, as you know! I am now on a roll this week and feeling positive. Come and join me, once you are one or two days in you feel the benefit and you feel positive. You can do it. I have also been taking two steps forward and one step back, but its counter productive, this is how we should be eating when we are at target, not while we are trying to get there. This is the thing I need to get into my head - I need to lose that 3 stone first, then I can be good one day and bad the next.

What we need to conquer is if you are bad for one meal, just make it that ONE MEAL - don't drag it over to the rest of the day or next day or the next day... What I tend to do is know that I am going to be bad in the evening if I am going out say, so I usually start the day with a full fat brekkie, wolf down a bad lunch, then snack all day in between and by the time the evening comes I am bloated and full but will still have the bad meal!

IT HAS TO STOP!

Be good and I promise to be good too!

x

Wednesday 19th September

Good morning!

Well I have been a little elusive on the forum recently, due to the fact I haven't really been motivated. But I need to take control of this thing called flab!

I was wondering about starting a Calorie Controlled Dieting thing, where I give myself 1200 cals a day, Ruth Jones lost tons of weight over a steady amount of time doing this. But when I went on the forum for CC diets I found a lot of the things people were eating were packet food and ready made meals and not much fruit. I cook a lot of things from scratch and I really wouldnt have the first clue about how to count the calories in say a spag bol that I make or carbonara or a curry. It all seems a bit of a faff unless you are heavily into ready made meals, which I am not.

So with SW I remain!

B - 2 LMc Italian Sausage (2) bread (HEB) Ketchup (1) Laughing Cow Light (part HEA) - a large Costa coffee with skimmed milk (part HEA)

L - Pasta In Sauce and Salad (3) for salad cream, olives and pasta

D - Caribbean Pork Curry, Broccoli and Cauliflower and Uncle Ben's 2 Min Rice (because someone forgot to tell me we had no proper rice left!) (1.5)

Snacks - Watermelon, Apple x3, Banana, Total 2% (1) with options (2) - oh and I had a Reese Peanut Butter Cup (delicious but so not worth 2 syns!) (2)

Water - 2 litres

Syns - 12.5

Exercise - NONE!

Last edited:
Charleybarley said:
I have been there my friend, as you know! I am now on a roll this week and feeling positive. Come and join me, once you are one or two days in you feel the benefit and you feel positive. You can do it. I have also been taking two steps forward and one step back, but its counter productive, this is how we should be eating when we are at target, not while we are trying to get there. This is the thing I need to get into my head - I need to lose that 3 stone first, then I can be good one day and bad the next.

What we need to conquer is if you are bad for one meal, just make it that ONE MEAL - don't drag it over to the rest of the day or next day or the next day... What I tend to do is know that I am going to be bad in the evening if I am going out say, so I usually start the day with a full fat brekkie, wolf down a bad lunch, then snack all day in between and by the time the evening comes I am bloated and full but will still have the bad meal!

IT HAS TO STOP!

Be good and I promise to be good too!

x

I so could have wrote that myself! We really need to get to target before we maintain!

Why do we think we can be bad all day as we have one bad meal planned for the evening.. Well I've been back on track today and even though out tomorrow night I'm going to be on plan all day!

Glad you're staying on SW, I know we find it hard at times but it's definitely a healty eating plan and you know what they say.. The longer it takes to get the weight off the more likely we are to keep it off.. Let's hope that's true! X

I so could have wrote that myself! We really need to get to target before we maintain!

Why do we think we can be bad all day as we have one bad meal planned for the evening.. Well I've been back on track today and even though out tomorrow night I'm going to be on plan all day!

Glad you're staying on SW, I know we find it hard at times but it's definitely a healty eating plan and you know what they say.. The longer it takes to get the weight off the more likely we are to keep it off.. Let's hope that's true! X

Well done for staying on track yesterday and good luck with today - where are you going tonight? Wherever it is, enjoy yourself and have a nice meal (if that is what you are doing) or a good drink up. We are going to the pics tonight and I can't watch a film at the cinema without a large bucket of salty popcorn! I have tried, but I always end up not enjoying the film so much!"So stupid isnt it?! I really want to not eat anything but who knows if I manage it!

I am always going to be an SWer at heart, but I sometimes find that I stretch the parameters of what I am allowed. I figured if I started calorie counting I could monitor the portion amounts and perhaps the weight will drop off a little quicker. But as you say slow and steady wins the race. I know SW inside and out and I should be able to control myself a bit better. CC seems like much harder ground work if you want to cook from fresh - but much easier if you eat ready made cr!p.

Have a good day x

Thursday 20th September

B - 2 LMC Rosemary and Red Onion Sausages in a sandwich (HEB) and Laughing Cow Light (1/4 HEA) and Neros Large Skinny Americano (1/4 HEA)

L - Leftover Curry Sauce (no pork left) with leftover broc and caul. I will buy some Uncle Ben's 2 min rice (Long Grain) (1) and I may buy some prawn to bulk it out a bit more

D - Cinema night so quick dinner alert - 2 fried eggs with Uncle Ben's (not him again!) 2 min rice (Mexican) (2.5)

Snacks - Melon and Banana. I really want to NOT eat popcorn at the cinema but I usually crack when I am there. I am going to buy some juicy black grapes and take them!

Syns - 4.5 (hopefully!)

Water intake - 2 litres (hopefully!)

Exercise - 30 minute swim at 6:30am!

Last edited:
Hi CharleyBarley. Loving reading your diary.

How did you do with the popcorn? I always cave! It just feels weird to go to the cinema and not have popcorn!

Charleybarley said:
Well done for staying on track yesterday and good luck with today - where are you going tonight? Wherever it is, enjoy yourself and have a nice meal (if that is what you are doing) or a good drink up. We are going to the pics tonight and I can't watch a film at the cinema without a large bucket of salty popcorn! I have tried, but I always end up not enjoying the film so much!"So stupid isnt it?! I really want to not eat anything but who knows if I manage it!

I am always going to be an SWer at heart, but I sometimes find that I stretch the parameters of what I am allowed. I figured if I started calorie counting I could monitor the portion amounts and perhaps the weight will drop off a little quicker. But as you say slow and steady wins the race. I know SW inside and out and I should be able to control myself a bit better. CC seems like much harder ground work if you want to cook from fresh - but much easier if you eat ready made cr!p.

Have a good day x

No drink up unfortunately as was driving, stayed on plan all day and then had steak and salad for main (had dressing on salad though) followed by.. A banoffee waffle.. At a guess about 30 syns lol! Sad thing is I didn't even enjoy it that much so a bit of a waste of syns.

I know it's too late as you went to cinema last night (what did you see by the way?) but sometimes I buy a small bag of popcorn and take it with me as its not as many syns and I know what I'm having, I like the toffee one but have seen lately there's loads of savoury popcorns out and don't know what they taste like but think they're fairly low syn wise.

As for calorie counting, I thought I'd do SW but try and count my calories as well to see if I was eating too many or not enough.. I didn't even last a day! How the hell do you work out the calories in stuff that's not processed/ready meal etc??

Hope you had fun last night and have a good weekend, what have you got planned? X

Hi CharleyBarley. Loving reading your diary.

How did you do with the popcorn? I always cave! It just feels weird to go to the cinema and not have popcorn!

Hi VP - Thanks for coming to visit. Well done on your weight loss hun, you are doing really well - lovely avatar pic, I hope that beer is calorie free like the glass of vino in my avatar pic is :whistle:

Well I bought my black grapes and then promptly caved and had a large bucket of salty popcorn! :atthemovies: It was all about me, my man, a large diet coke, a large bucket of popcorn and Ray Winstone and Plan B last night!

I am going to go and check out your FD in a mo to grab some thinspiration!

Have a good day and a good weekend
x

No drink up unfortunately as was driving, stayed on plan all day and then had steak and salad for main (had dressing on salad though) followed by.. A banoffee waffle.. At a guess about 30 syns lol! Sad thing is I didn't even enjoy it that much so a bit of a waste of syns.

I know it's too late as you went to cinema last night (what did you see by the way?) but sometimes I buy a small bag of popcorn and take it with me as its not as many syns and I know what I'm having, I like the toffee one but have seen lately there's loads of savoury popcorns out and don't know what they taste like but think they're fairly low syn wise.

As for calorie counting, I thought I'd do SW but try and count my calories as well to see if I was eating too many or not enough.. I didn't even last a day! How the hell do you work out the calories in stuff that's not processed/ready meal etc??

Hope you had fun last night and have a good weekend, what have you got planned? X

Well done you for only cheating on your pud, although sorry it wasn't worth the syns - its annoying isn't it? You build yourself up to think, I am going to have a controlled blow out because its planned, and then its a bit of a flop.

We went to see The Sweeney. It was good, although I think it would have been better off as a drama series (much like the original) - I wasn't sure it made the impact it should have done on the big screen. It was good spotting parts of London out though!

As you probably saw from my previous post, I failed miserably - so I take your 30 syns and raise it 40 syns! Yes 40 syns for a large bucket of salty popcorn, was it worth it? Probably not, but I enjoyed it anyway. I have in the past made my own up and take that - but its just not the same. I think at the weekend I will pop into Morrys and see how much their big bags are - they must be better that the 800 or so cals in the cinema stuff!

Weekend plans, we tonight we are round my bessy's and her newish boyfs - we are having a .... takeaway night!!!! I think they are thinking of either fish and chips or pizza. I have a plan though. Although I am going to be naughty, by way of a bottle of vino, I am going to ask if they mind if I go it alone and have a mixed kebab instead - I will order a chicken, shish and kofte kebab with salad. Yes the pitta will be synned, as will the kofte - but it will be a darn sight less than a pizza with garlic bread etc. Thats the plan anyway.

Saturday Mick and I are decorating the bedroom, we did the hallway and living room a month or two ago and we need to do the bedroom before it gets too cold and we won't be able to air the room. This is the only weekend we are free and as much as we both want to be lazy and do nothing all weekend, this has to be done. It shouldnt take us too long. The prep takes the longest in decorating.

Sunday I am planning on walking (its a pretty long walk) to and from my Bannatynes gym and then going for a swim. I usually drive as I go in the morning before work, but I figured that I will be getting extra exercise by walking there, swimming and then walking back. The rest of Sunday will be mainly in the kitchen. I have some new foods to prepare!

How about you, what are your plans?

x

Friday 21st September - WEIGH IN DAY :scale:

YAY - 3lbs off! I am so happy. I know I hadnt been 100% everyday so I was hoping for at least 1 off. Grrrreeeeaat start to my Cruise Challenge - I know I wont always be this lucky so I must try harder! That said I have a bit of a big night ahead tonight, I am going to cheat because I want to enjoy myself, but I have nothing else planned for the rest of the week (until next Friday!) so I will try and pull it back.

B - Porridge (HEA & HEB) - with 1tbps Golden Syrup (way too much, far too sweet, will halve my portion size next time) (2)

L - Chicken & Bacon Pasta Salad (2.5) for chilli sauce and ELF mayo

D - We are having a takeaway night with friends tonight so - I am planning on having a special kebab - which will be chicken, shish and kofte, I will have it with salad (no chips) and pitta. I have no idea of synnage here so I will guesstimate (15) for kebab. Wine, I will probably drink a bottle of red so (25)

This week I will do weekly syns so starting today with 105:

Syns today (all roughly based): 44.5 (ESSHKK)

Syn balance for the week: 60.5 (crap, thats not many!)

Water intake for today: 2 litres

Exercise: None.

Saturday 22nd September

So aiming to plan ahead. I spent my train journey this morning, planning my week's evening meals. I really hope I stick to them as I have a lot of lovely sounding meals going on this coming week!

B - 2x Sausages (1), 2 bacon, beans, mushrooms, 2x boiled eggs

L - HM Soup

D - Bacon Double Cheeseburger with Chips and Salad (HEA & HEB) plus (4) for misc sauces (ELF Mayo/Ketchup/chilli sauce)

Snacks - Fruit

Syn balance: 60.5

Estimated Syns: 5

Syns remaining for week: 55.5

Exercise: Body magic by way of fierce decorating and housework!

Sunday 22nd September

B - Breakfast, same as Saturday (1)

L - Maybe Soup

D - Bavarian Beef and Ale Stew (HEB & HEA) - This is a new recipe which I am adapting from a Tesco's Mag. I am synning around 5 syns for this. If it is successful I will post recipe.

Syn balance: 55.5

Estimated syns: 6

Syns remaining: 49.5

Exercise planned: Walking to and from my gym (3 miles in total) and then a 30 min swim.

Hi VP - Thanks for coming to visit. Well done on your weight loss hun, you are doing really well - lovely avatar pic, I hope that beer is calorie free like the glass of vino in my avatar pic is :whistle:

The beer was had whilst on holiday so therefore it was free ;)!

YAY - 3lbs off! I am so happy.

Well done on your weightloss that's fab. 3lbs is great - you definitely deserve that kebab! Hope you enjoyed it! x

vintagepockets said:
The beer was had whilst on holiday so therefore it was free ;)!

Well done on your weightloss that's fab. 3lbs is great - you definitely deserve that kebab! Hope you enjoyed it! x

Thanks Hun!

I hope you had a good weekend. X

Back